Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Show 22/03/2014 @ 9.30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Getting value for the TV licence tonight !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder which Katherine Lynch will be turning up tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I wonder which Katherine Lynch will be turning up tonight?

I thought she retired from 'comedy' to pursue a musical career?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I thought she retired from 'comedy' to pursue a musical career?

Hang on, you mean she's meant to be funny? :confused:

cofy wrote: »
    Coming up on The Saturday Night Show this week, coming straight from Mountjoy Prison, Margaretta D'Arcy speaks exclusively to Brendan about her campaigning life and her time behind bars.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/activist-margaretta-darcy-released-from-prison-30116391.html

It's a bit of a scoop to get the first interview with Margaretta Darcy.

Personally, I don't agree with her actions but it will be interesting to see what she says.

I'm sure the RTE Legal Advisors have had words with Brendan, just in case she says anything which might cause them problems. His rating could fall in RTE very quickly if his show was to be involved in another defamation payout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, I said on the LLS thread last night that the SNS hasn't really fired on all cylinders thus far in 2014.

And I said that I'd go into more detail when the thread for tonight's episode went up.

So here goes...

For me, anyway, January was one of the worst months ever for the show, if not the worst. Far too much time given to the Voice of Ireland and Operation Transformation (although my ma has bought Dr Eva's cookbook :o); the interview with Panti was excruciating to watch; and most of the other non-"misery" guests just weren't very exciting.

And the guy who wanted to go to Mars certainly wasn't as fun as Dr Norah Patten...

LcVmT.jpg

(His interview was longer than hers, too. Boo. :(:()

February was better, but not by very much. There was John Hurt, Marco Pierre White, Mick O'Dwyer, Paul Howard and that gay rugby referee - but there was also Bill Cullen and Jackie Lavin (boring!), Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh (ceaintín RTE arís) and Richard Corrigan (drunk again).

And, of course, there were those Pussy Riot members. Their interview, just like Panti's, made for very uncomfortable viewing - and dominated the episode to such an extent that all the other guests, even Marty Whelan and his new hair, found themselves relegated to very minor roles... :(

So far in March we've had David McSavage (stick to sketches, mate) and Mammy O'Rourke ('nuff said), while David Baddiel promised more than he delivered.

And tonight, we have two of the unfunniest women on Irish TV.

And all this time, there have been perhaps a few too many "misery" moments. The recently deceased Gerry Collins, Joe McCaul and his MS diagnosis, Ronan Fitzgerald and his brain injury, Jean Daly and her paralysis, Beverley Callard and her depression - and tonight, the founder of Cycle Against Suicide. I suppose the Pussy Riot interview has to count, too.

(That, of course, is said with the very greatest of respect intended towards these people and everyone who knows or knew them. :):))

Just why has the SNS not really performed as well as it usually does? :(:(

Are the producers running low on ideas? Are they struggling to book genuinely good famous names for whatever reason? Is Brendan really losing the plot, as others have suggested? Or could it be all three?

Feel free to disagree with any of these points. :):)

Just why has the SNS not really performed as well as it usually does? :(:(

Are the producers running low on ideas? Are they struggling to book genuinely good famous names for whatever reason? Is Brendan really losing the plot, as others have suggested? Or could it be all three?

That's a super post GHG, you made some great points.

All the above are valid, but for me, The worst thing to happen to the show was when Brendan decided he wanted to do regular serious interviews. It's as if he wants to make a showreel for his interview for the LLS host job whenever Tubs calls it a day.

It's bad enough having weekly encounters with death/serious illness/other depressing interviews on the other show - the SNS should be a light hearted programme (similar to what Tubridy Tonight was a few years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Out tonight. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Excellent post Go Harvey Go, to me it seems like Brendans budget has been cut to nothing, tonight not 1 but 2 interviews promoting other RTE programs. There has been very few guests on this year who were not promoting something or other.

Evening all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    That's a super post GHG, you made some great points.

All the above are valid, but for me, The worst thing to happen to the show was when Brendan decided he wanted to do regular serious interviews. It's as if he wants to make a showreel for his interview for the LLS host job whenever Tubs calls it a day.

It's bad enough having weekly encounters with death/serious illness/other depressing interviews on the other show - the SNS should be a light hearted programme (similar to what Tubridy Tonight was a few years ago).
    cofy wrote: »
    Excellent post Go Harvey Go, to me it seems like Brendans budget has been cut to nothing, tonight not 1 but 2 interviews promoting other RTE programs. There has been very few guests on this year who were not promoting something or other.

Thanks, Skid and Cofy. :):)

So Brendan has made a bad decision, then. :( Especially when Tubs isn't likely to leave the LLS in the next two or three years.

And, it seems, the producers' own poor decisions as regards the guests might not be coincidental...

Tubs should start the LLS with some Brendan-esque 'zingers', before he scales the heights of 'Chatmandu'!

Beefy changed into his good suit fairly lively.

Tubs should start the LLS with some Brendan-esque 'zingers', before he scales the heights of 'Chatmandu'!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is Brendan still shrinking or are his hands getting bigger??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

God the guy waving the sticks and drumming up the crowd really irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nice rig out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Oh lord have mercy.

Parkinsons, Cancer, Incarceration, broken limbs, wobbly head ...

DLB must be weeping that he didn't get her on

M

I'm dying to know what's in her plastic bag she has with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Hi all, the introductory music reminds me of "Mr Selfridge" intro. music, very catchy. Well here goes,I didn't get a laugh out of Brendan yet.Aaaaagh! This oul battleaxe:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fair play to her.

M

Mmm, prison girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

oh dear....lights are on BUT....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

She can't have come across the Scissors Sisters inside! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

You'd've thought she'd've had time to change out of her prison jumpsuit before the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Orange is the new black ....literally !!

Brendan is using his patronising voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm dying to know what's in her plastic bag she has with her.

"The messages",of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Mmm, prison girls...

299755.jpg

Advertisement