Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm still stuck with Sky until I ring up on the 18th of this month.
    This is slightly unrelated but hopefully someone can help me.
    I live in a UPC 200/10 & Eircom 70/20 area now I know I probably won't get those speeds but I'm just wondering which should I choose? I'm leaning more towards VDSL as nearly all the devices I have can't handle a full 200Mb over WiFi and usually get around 50Mb, well bar my PC but they all seem to be able to max out the upload.
    I always back up my pictures online too so a faster upload would be beneficial.
    I don't want to get VDSL in an 12/18 month contract only for UPC to announce that they've increased their upload.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I live in a UPC 200/10 & Eircom 70/20 area now I know I probably won't get those speeds but I'm just wondering which should I choose? I'm leaning more towards VDSL as nearly all the devices I have can't handle a full 200Mb over WiFi and usually get around 50Mb, well bar my PC but they all seem to be able to max out the upload.
    I don't want to get VDSL in an 12/18 month contract only for UPC to announce that they've increased their upload.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.

Just listen to your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Depends on your upload speed requirements. I'm very happy with 50/20 VDSL. It really hasn't missed a beat in the few months I have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Opinions?
    Thanks.

UPC's speeds are also pretty much as advertised, there's no distance-related drop off where as there is with VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Question for yea. Without calling up Eircom and having fun speaking to someone there, is there a way from logging into the modem to see if vectoring has been enabled on the cab?
    From what I've read I believe you should see an improvement to the Attainable Net Data Rate...

I would also imagine if your not getting the 70Mb, then vectoring should bring you close of over it...

Looking forward to one of the techies answering your question...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Edit:

I'm wrong they were added.

Two new products on the Stable/Multicast table: 85 Mbit/s Down and 20Mbit/s up and a 80 Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up package
    Three new products on the 'high speed internet table: 100 Mbit/s down 20 Mbit/s up and 90 Mbit/s down and 20 mbit/s up and a 80Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up profile.

Also, in addition to the new profiles, all of the existing profiles have gotten a significant boost in the distance from the cab that they operate at. For instance you will now get 50mb/s at 850 meters where previously you would only get 30mb/s

Does anyone have a list of the current, non-vectoring profiles?

Was talking to a guy called Lenny from Eircom, they've been ringing several times a day for ages. Asked him about Vectoring, said he hadn't a clue, told him Vodafone was cheaper said he didn't know they did Fibre broadband. Ended up politely telling him no thank you.

Had a call from Eircom, WiMax and UPC in the space of a few days... They must know the contract is ending! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Profiles

Ones less than 70Mbps are the non vectored ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

100m/bit download is nice but I am still slightly disappointed they aren't bumping the upload rate. It is really the area where vdsl excels over UPC. Would have been nice to make UPC look even more mean with their 10m/bit vs a 40m/bit vdsl upload.

Could be interesting (but unfortunate) for me, that my own cab appears to be vector enabled, but I've seen no improvement in stats and may not actually get any vector bump at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

Why can't the upload be increased? VDSL is well capable I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Without calling up Eircom and having fun speaking to someone there, is there a way from logging into the modem to see if vectoring has been enabled on the cab?
    Is it possible its enabled on the cab and it might just mean I need to call'em and ask to "reprofile me" ?

Anyone know if its possible to tell if a cab has had vectoring enabled other than just calling Eircom?

Anyone know if its possible to tell if a cab has had vectoring enabled other than just calling Eircom?

Wouldn't bother ringing Eircom, the guy I was talking to didn't even know what Vectoring was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wouldn't bother ringing Eircom, the guy I was talking to didn't even know what Vectoring was!

Ha, maybe asking them for someone who knows more about what they are supporting :)

Go to page 16 of this thread. In this post, he experienced a boost in his attainable net data rate and noise margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

the following exchanges have vectoring enabled

Ballyboden
    Balbriggaan
    Swords
    Tallaght
    Terenure
    Drogheda co louth
    newbridge co kildare
    naas co kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 13 density

So, if vectoring has been enabled in places within my exchange, as I have seen from stats posted in this thread, is it just a matter of waiting until they get around to activating it for my cabinet? I am with Vodafone, and I believe the firmware for the Huawei router was updated at least a week ago, but the line stats have not changed at all. I suppose I should ask a neighbour who is with Eircom to verify if that status extends beyond my ISP, but maybe others have had experience with Vodafone lagging behind others.

For the Eircom modem, what firmware version should we be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

density wrote: »
    So, if vectoring has been enabled in places within my exchange, as I have seen from stats posted in this thread, is it just a matter of waiting until they get around to activating it for my cabinet? I am with Vodafone, and I believe the firmware for the Huawei router was updated at least a week ago, but the line stats have not changed at all. I suppose I should ask a neighbour who is with Eircom to verify if that status extends beyond my ISP, but maybe others have had experience with Vodafone lagging behind others.

I spoke to VF support last week as my VF modem has also been updated.
    They confirmed that the software update was for Vectoring support.
    However I was told that they don't have any immediate plans to bump up speeds ...

• Advertisement

the following exchanges have vectoring enabled

Ballyboden
    Balbriggaan
    Swords
    Tallaght
    Terenure
    Drogheda co louth
    newbridge co kildare
    naas co kildare

I'm from Balbriggan and my family all of vdsl. None of us have any improvements on stats or speeds yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Some information in the article linked below

Eircom has deployed vectoring technology to 150 of its fibre broadband cabinets, Lennon said. By the end of this month, vectoring will have been deployed to the vast majority of Eircom's 3,000 fibre broadband cabinets

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/36155-light-at-the-end-of-the/

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Will 70MBps to 100MBps be a free upgrade on eircom and all re-sellers?

(Assuming line is capable of 70 and 100.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm from Balbriggan and my family all of vdsl. None of us have any improvements on stats or speeds yet.

As far as i can tell, all the cabs in Balbriggan have the vectoring software install but just not enabled on all cabs yet. I know that the cab at Barnwell court has it enabled. Speeds are not being automatically put up to the faster speeds, it is something that tech support will do.

allen175 wrote: »
    As far as i can tell, all the cabs in Balbriggan have the vectoring software install but just not enabled on all cabs yet. I know that the cab at Barnwell court has it enabled. Speeds are not being automatically put up to the faster speeds, it is something that tech support will do.

Good insider info, thanks :)

Have to wait another month now to get Fibre... Hopefully by then Vectoring is enabled and active.

I'm still on 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 on the ZyXel eircom F1000 modem/access gateway.

Has that changed for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm still on 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 on the ZyXel eircom F1000 modem/access gateway.

Has that changed for anyone?

No that is the latest version available.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Vectoring has been turned on for some cabinets in Douglas, Cork today. It's being done on a cabinet by cabinet basis, nothing to do with exchange as the equipment in question is not in the exchange. For eircom customers, the latest F1000 firmware is 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 which has been in use for a while. Here are some mouth watering vectored enabled stats for you hot off the press!

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 7 hours: 1 minute
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 10.3 dB 19.1 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -12.1 dBm 12.0 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.2 dBm 0.2 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 12.1 dB 11.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 31.524 Mbps 129.456 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.9 15.3 22.1 N/A 9.1 20.6 31.5
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.9 14.7 21.1 N/A 7.0 20.4 31.4
    SNR Margin(dB): 10.3 10.4 10.3 N/A 19.0 19.1 19.1
    Transmit Power(dBm):-23.3 -14.5 -16.6 N/A 7.0 7.8 7.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

douglasman wrote: »
    Vectoring has been turned on for some cabinets in Douglas, Cork today. It's being done on a cabinet by cabinet basis, nothing to do with exchange as the equipment in question is not in the exchange. For eircom customers, the latest F1000 firmware is 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 which has been in use for a while. Here are some mouth watering vectored enabled stats for you hot off the press!

Attainable Net Data Rate: 31.524 Mbps 129.456 Mbps

Is it the Attainable rate that has increased ? So now we have to wait for eircom to role out upgrades ?

Advertisement