Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Gbear wrote: »
    8?!?!

How on earth did you do that?
    I did see you're on Paragon level 200+ so you've played a fair bit but still!

Do you get a higher chance of getting items from sets you already have one of the items from?

sadly not, but I guess I farm a lot. I usually run t3. 1 shot mobs, and burst elites down in 2 secs. it really helps for finding legs :D

@ShadowHearth... no comment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I am on the hunt for a tal's chest at the moment to go with my shiny amulet. Nix ya bastard!! I see you have one :(

Buy it from the auction house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dermighty wrote: »

the old and new sets are different ina lot of respects, one being that the set bonuses are different and cant be mixed and matched with older sets that you can buy on the ah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Currently îm playing through as a monk and i definitely prefer it to a barbarian. The powers are more rounded but i don't get to swing my weapons :S

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Dermighty wrote: »

I'm looking for the new one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Im flying through the levels with my DH. Might try pop 60 and then start with a monk or wizard, try take advantage of the 50% xp bonus while i can

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hey folks, just hit lvl 50 after beating Diablo. I've upped the difficulty again to Expert but what's the best way forward from here. I'm just looking to keep levelling I guess. Reset the quests and start again or just redo some of later ones?

/Edit: Think I'll try Master actually. Barely needed to use a health potion all game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hey folks, just hit lvl 50 after beating Diablo. I've upped the difficulty again to Expert but what's the best way forward from here. I'm just looking to keep levelling I guess. Reset the quests and start again or just redo some of later ones?

/Edit: Think I'll try Master actually. Barely needed to use a health potion all game.

I'm levelling characters from very low level in Master. Grind it for a bit until you hit 60 and unlock Torment, then try Torment I and see how you fare. You can start again or just do the areas you enjoyed doing etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

nesf wrote: »
    I'm levelling characters from very low level in Master. Grind it for a bit until you hit 60 and unlock Torment, then try Torment I and see how you fare. You can start again or just do the areas you enjoyed doing etc.

Cheers. Yeah think I'll just redo some of the quests I prefered until I can try torment.

reached paragon 240 today :)

Few things to note for anyone who is buying Reaper of Souls.

1. Everything you have now will be worth nothing once you hit level 65+.

2. If you have anything of value, e.g. gems, sell them now. Even low level ones, as marquise (currently highest level gems) drop from torment difficulties. During the beta, I had hundreds of them. Selling gems now is a great way to make sure you have as much gold as possible.

3. If you have gold find / magic find gear, sell it asap. It makes zero difference. Magic find is restricted to 10% of your current MF stats.. making it more or less useless.

4. If you want to level fast, there's currently 3 areas of note.
    a. Crypt of the ancients. (CotA).
    Simply run the quest in Act 1 and go to the crypt. Dont pick up the orb. Kill everything except the elite pack, and quit and remake. Do this over and over... It's currently the best XP spot in the game. (The higher the torment difficulty the better. I suggest doing this with 4 people for real speed and the bonus)... I don't run this myself, as it's mind numbingly boring.

b. Keep level 2. Act 3. I love this run. I usually do the full 'Breached keep' quest from level 1 to ghom. It's a great spot for large mobs, and lots of chests for legendaries.

c. Cathedral level 4 in Act 1. I have not run this, but a few streamers are and they find it excellent XP.

5. Legendary items: For anyone who really wants to farm for them now, best thing is in chests. Skip trash / white mobs. The drop rate is so low it's stupid. Kill elites and open chests. That's it! It does not matter what difficulty you farm on. I found excellent legendaries on normal difficulty, and same on torment 6. All that matters is your own level (60).
    Playing on higher difficulties has a few small benefits.
    a. Extra XP.
    b. A CHANCE... (It's most likely so small) to find MORE legendaries. (You do NOT find better ones)..
    c. A challenge! :D

6. Gold - For Reaper of Souls, it looks like they have drastically reduced the cost of everything! This is excellent, as gold is now Bound to account. Which means the end of gold sellers, botters and with the Auction house going away in 3 days (Woohoo!), then your gold is only used for crafting, re-rolling and repairs.

The mystic... In the beta, it was expensive to re-roll items to get the absolute best possible.
    I brought 22.8 billion gold to the beta, and I burned through it all in 2 months crafting and re-rolling...

But this will all change now as they have to understand that not everyone has this much gold. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you have 5m gold or 50b gold. You will be able to re-roll as you want.

When you finish act 5, it will unlock adventure mode. This allows you to jump around between act 1-5 and do bounties. Bounties are excellent. e.g. kill all enemies in ice caverns level 2.. Kill magdha. etc. There are 5 bounties on each act. Once you finish a bounty, you receive a generous XP and gold reward. Once you finish ALL 5 bounties, you receive a bag. (You can get 1 bag from each act). The bag contains random loot, along with a decent amount of crafting mat's and gold.

Completing bounties is the best way to get fast gold. So if your broke now, don't fret. you will be fine. You will make more than enough to see you through.

7. Current materials.
    They are only for level 1 - 60. Level 61-70 have their own materials. Don't waste your time stock piling them to craft new level 70 items. Unless you really want to have a back up supply, best to just sell all commodoties while you have the chance.

8. Current plans that are dropping. SELL SELL SELL! I found 3 plans, and I stupidly gave them to my blacksmith before I realized they sell for a TON of gold on the AH.
    Don't worry, you WILL find them again, AND you will find better ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

3. If you have gold find / magic find gear, sell it asap. It makes zero difference. Magic find is restricted to 10% of your current MF stats.. making it more or less useless.

What does this mean exactly?

The highest bonus MF is 10%?

yes and no. The dev's wanted to remove what MF does, but not destroy it completely. So, only 10% of your MF is counted towards legendary drop rate.

So if your running with 300% MF, then you only have an extra 30% legendary drop chance.

But that's obviously not much considering the drop rates.

yes and no. The dev's wanted to remove what MF does, but not destroy it completely. So, only 10% of your MF is counted towards legendary drop rate.

So if your running with 300% MF, then you only have an extra 30% legendary drop chance.

But that's obviously not much considering the drop rates.

It still means a third more of them. Not so little as to be dismissed.

Btw.. I've just made nearly 4m gold in 5 minutes from your pointers. Wahey.

Is there a best class for farming and grinding up those P levels?

I've been sticking with my Barb for the most part because he was my first Class and the only one I ever got to Inferno and level 60 with.

arcane orb - frozen orb on a wizard is pretty sick damage.
    plus teleport means you can fly around really quick.

dont forget, 30% extra legendary drop rate, but say the drop rate is currently .15, well... that aint much of an increase!

edit: 5,000 posts! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

What's gonna happen with our paragon levels when we start leveling in the new expansion, will we keep the points or what?

yeah of course :) everything you have now will be there if you buy the expansion. you will simply log in and have access to new content etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Why weren't you this good at Starcraft?

i mainly played monobattles with my mates in starcraft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why weren't you this good at Starcraft?

Controlling 1 unit vs 100 units m8. The boy cant multytask for ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

RM what's your battletag?

EDIT: or PM your realID

royalmarine#2579

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Currently îm playing through as a monk and i definitely prefer it to a barbarian. The powers are more rounded but i don't get to swing my weapons :S

Monks are so tough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Almost finished levelling my Witch Doctor (55) to go with my Wizard. I tried Demon Hunter but it felt like a Wizard with a bow and monk (the melee hit thing simply felt off for some reason). Might try a Crusader later but not set either way atm.

I started Act 3 at level 32 or so. I'm now just entering the Arreat Crater and I'm level 45.

Switching to Master is a great way to level up. You get up to speed pretty quickly after the initial struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nody wrote: »
    Almost finished levelling my Witch Doctor (55) to go with my Wizard. I tried Demon Hunter but it felt like a Wizard with a bow and monk (the melee hit thing simply felt off for some reason). Might try a Crusader later but not set either way atm.

I tend to go melee -> ranged -> melee and so on when levelling characters, both in this and similar games. Usually I want a very different playstyle when rerolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Quick question lads if I may: I recently bought this for the 360 and I am loving it. I am not too far into it but now I have the option to attact gems to my gear. What are the best gem types to attach? I attach rubies to my swords for a boost but I am not sure about the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The gems all say what they do for various slots. It all depends on your class really, but remember that you can remove the gems for a cost (or when salvaging the gear), so there's no harm trying out a few different ones.

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Quick question lads if I may: I recently bought this for the 360 and I am loving it. I am not too far into it but now I have the option to attact gems to my gear. What are the best gem types to attach? I attach rubies to my swords for a boost but I am not sure about the rest.

In response (it's out of date but most of the information is still relevant):
    Gems are small objects that grant bonuses when socketed into items. There are four types of gems in Diablo III; Amethysts, Emeralds, Rubies and Topazes, which are found in 15 levels of quality. (The 15th, Marquise, was added in Patch 1.0.7.) Only the first eight levels can be found from monsters or chests, with Flawless Squares the highest quality (and the only type that drops in Inferno). Higher levels of gems can only be crafted (for a price) by the Jeweler, and the costs grow and accumulate impressively.

Creating a level 14 gem is quite a chore. The total costs, assuming a starting point in Inferno where Flawless Squares drop, is 729 Flawless Squares, 15,400,000 gold and 1631 Tomes of Secret, for each Radiant Star gem.

As of patch v1.07, there is no way to create or add sockets to items. During development the Jeweler was set to add sockets to items, but this ability was shelved pre-release, leaving players able only to hope for socket finds. It's often hoped that socketing might come back as a quest reward or for a price, in a patch or more likely in D3X.

Diamonds are confirmed as being introduced in Reaper of Souls.

Gems are a very useful item to twink to new characters, as gems have no level requirements. Items with sockets are first found around level 15 (some legendary items have sockets as low as level 10), in late Act One or early Act Two, and it's quite easy to add a gem with a bonus much larger than that of the item itself. Low level weapons with a high level Ruby in them become wildly overpowered, but that's the whole fun of it for many players.
    See the Diablo 2 Gems page for details on that game's seven types of gems (skulls, diamonds, and sapphires do not appear in Diablo 3).

Contents [hide]
    1 Diablo III Gems
    1.1 Weapons
    1.2 Helms
    1.3 Other
    2 Upgrading Gems
    3 Full List of Gem Properties
    3.1 Marquise Gems
    4 Rubies Buffed
    5 Future Gem Changes
    6 References
    [edit]Diablo III Gems
    Gems in Diablo 3 have evolved during the game's development. Though the concept of 14 levels of quality has remained constant, the types of gems, their names and graphics, and the materials and costs to upgrade them have evolved repeatedly.
    See the Gems archive info for full details on their development.

[edit]Weapons
    A socket in a weapon is considered almost essential, at the end game. Rubies were always popular at low or mid levels, and they became much more useful in Patch 1.0.7 when their values in weapons were considerably upgraded. That said, Emeralds are the weapon socket of choice for most high levels characters, especially those with a healthy Critical hit Chance value. Amethysts are a not unheard of for Hardcore players, for their life on hit.
    Diamonds will come with Reaper of Souls and will boost elite damage in weapons.

[edit]Helms
    Sockets in helms are even more desired than in weapons, to the point that virtually no end game helm is considered viable without a socket.
    Rubies are the most popular for the +%experience per kill. This bonus was irrelevant in the end game until the debut of the Paragon system, at which point it became the most sought after.
    Amethysts are popular, especially for Hardcore characters, since the +%life bonus is a huge source of hit points, leveraging already high vitality bonuses.
    Topaz are also sought for the Magic Find bonus, while gold farmers may enjoy Emeralds for that bonus.
    The Topaz vs. Ruby debate is an interesting one, since high level players mostly seek paragon levels for the 3% bonus to Magic Find and Gold Find per level. Yet an affordable Star topaz grants 25% Magic Find, which is equivalent to the MF gain of more than 8 Paragon levels.
    Diamonds will come with Reaper of Souls and will reduce cooldown.

[edit]Other
    All other items are given the "other" designation. Sockets are found in rare and magical pants, chest armor, off-hand items (such as quivers, mojos, orbs, shields, etc) amulets, and rings, but not in shoulders, bracers, belts, or boots. (A few legendary and set items add sockets to other pieces of armor, such as the socket in Ice Climbers boots or Tasker and Theo gloves.)
    Softcore players almost always go for +damage via a boost to their mainstat.
    Emeralds for dexterity for Demon Hunters and Monks.
    Rubies for strength for Barbarians.
    Topaz for intelligence for Wizards and Witch Doctors.
    Diamonds will come with Reaper of Souls and will apply a resist all bonus to armor.
    Hardcore characters are much more likely to use Amethysts to boost their vitality.

[edit]Upgrading Gems
    Gems can be upgraded by the Jeweler, for a price. First of all, the Jeweler needs to be trained to his maximum level in order to craft the highest level gems. Even then, he can only upgrade gems to the 11th quality level, and just be taught the 4 highest tiers in each gem type by Designs that drop from monsters or objects. Jeweler Designs and Blacksmith Plans dropped very rarely until Patch 1.0.7 buffed their drop rates 4x.

All plans and designs can also be purchased from the Auction House, where their prices have steadily dropped over time. (Whe new recipes are introduced in patches, such as the level 63 items and Marquise gems in Patch v1.0.7, their values were very high for a day or two, before falling rapidly.)

All gem upgrades cost gold, and most require some materials as well. Lower level recipes are quite cheap in terms of gold and materials, and only require 2 gems to upgrade to the next level. Higher level gems require a lot of gold and materials, and it takes 3 gems to make 1 of the next rank. At the 2 > 1 upgrade ratio introduced in v1.03 (prior to that all upgrades were 3 > 1, plus much higher gold prices), it would require 256 chipped gems and 570 gold to create 1 Flawless Square (which is the highest gem that drops), though no one actually collects that many chipped gems since higher quality gems can easily be found.

When considering upgrade prices, bear in mind the cumulative costs, which are listed in the last column of the table below. For example, the price to make the 14th level gem, a Radiant Star, is 400k gold + 20 Tomes of Secret + 3 Flawless Stars. That doesn't sound so bad, until you realize that each of those Flawless Stars had to be made from requires 3 Perfect Stars, and 9 Flawless Stars, and 27 Stars, and so on, down to the Flawless Squares that form the base of the gem economy.

It requires a total of 729 Flawless Squares, 1631 Tomes of Secret, and 15,400,000 gold to make a single Radiant Star, not counting the gold required to upgrade the Jeweler in the first place, or to obtain the three highest level plans for each gem. Even assuming you had all the Flawless Squares, Tomes of Secret, and over 15 million gold in your stash, creating a Radiant Star would still take you 243 clicks on the Jeweler's upgrade bar. At 3 seconds per click, that's 729 seconds, or close to 12 minutes doing nothing but clicking the "Upgrade" bar in the Jeweler's interface.
    And the Marquise Gems introduced in Patch 1.0.7 require 3 Radiant Stars each.

• Advertisement

The GAH and RMAH have now shutdown as of 5 minutes ago.

Advertisement