Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Oddly Peter, the level of Mux 2 was actually higher with me on the various occasions it was switched on over the last year. At the start of September it was on and that was still the case. Then when it next appeared it was much weaker, when it came back up last week, it was stronger again, but not as strong as it had been. As the 1st MUX has stayed more or less the same for over a year, something must have changed with MUX 2 between September and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I'm getting Mux2 fine with my outdoor aerial in Belfast - indoor aerial gets Mux1 fine, Mux2 with picture breakup.
    Thanks for that Jamesy, hopefully my mum's setup will be OK.
    As the 1st MUX has stayed more or less the same for over a year, something must have changed with MUX 2 between September and October.
    Maybe power levels or whatever will be sorted out in the next few weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Maybe power levels or whatever will be sorted out in the next few weeks?

How long were they 'testing' this bloody mux before the 21st? Surely they have to have things to their liking at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    How long were they 'testing' this bloody mux before the 21st? Surely they have to have things to their liking at this stage?
    Yea, but they are not to OUR liking! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Haven't posted on this thread in quite a while! Getting Mux 2 here in South Down (20 K's NE of Newry). After a rescan my Sony Bravia reordered the channels and placed RTÉ 1 HD in position 1, and the SD version down in 19!

The two STB's in other rooms (both Humax), have RTÉ 1 SD still at 801, but listed as 'Unknown'. They have placed RTÉ 1 HD down in 820.

Have the custom SW on board both these to reorder channel list but have never got round to doing it. Anyway as there's still changes and new additions going on to Saorview and Freeview, I'd only have to reorder them all over again after a rescan. Hopefully TG4 will go HD on DTT soon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Have been moving home recently back to Fintona, Co. Tyrone. My new spot is able to pick up both Saorview multiplexes from Truskmore (E53 & E57) with a Telecam indoor aerial (non-amplified) pointing out of the ground-floor living room window in a roughly WSW direction sitting on the window sill with no pixelation at all! :eek: Transmission path distance is 70km, though it is almost line-of-sight which also helps. What also helps is that Brougher Mountain is also visual LOS from the window of the room directly above at 13km away, and that both sites are within a 30 degree arc meaning Freeview & Saorview services all come in on one indoor aerial. :cool:

Still the usual cavets about indoor aerials for reception still apply, my intention is to get two separate aerials (one for Brougher, another for Truskmore) set up in the attic - respective signals for both are very strong so even using a 3-way passive splitter should not give many problems (might actually need an attenuator for Brougher!) But for now the indoor aerial works OK. A lucky location! Just a shame Brougher isn't carrying COM7 or it would be a full house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zeus06

I'm in south down and recently lost my rte saorview signal after a few days of poor signal. Anyone any reasons as to why and any solutions how to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Zeus06 wrote: »
    I'm in south down and recently lost my rte saorview signal after a few days of poor signal. Anyone any reasons as to why and any solutions how to fix?

Have you checked all the connections from the aerial to the receiver?
    Could be an aerial or cable problem, water ingress, corrosion?

The Cush wrote: »
    Have you checked all the connections from the aerial to the receiver?
    Could be an aerial or cable problem, water ingress, corrosion?

Currently I have two aerials in attic (one UK one Irish) which are combined to one cable feeding TVs. Freeview channels fine. Perhaps could be a cables but doubtful. need to check tomorrow.

Freeview channels fine. Perhaps could be a cables but doubtful. need to check tomorrow.

It wasn't a sudden loss of signal so something in the setup isn't working properly.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    It wasn't a sudden loss of signal so something in the setup isn't working properly.

By setup do you mean the TV setup (e.g tuning) or something else? I've tried manually tuning but not getting anything. Scanning channel 30 which only has max 15% signal strength.

By setup do you mean the TV setup (e.g tuning) or something else?

Aerial, combiner and cabling to the TV, the TV isn't getting sufficient signal. Might have been borderline signal strength up to now.
    Scanning channel 30 which only has max 15% signal strength.

Which transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

I assume you're scanning for Ch.30 Three Rock, that's quite a distance for an attic aerial to get a decent signal. An outdoor aerial might be required to get a strong signal.

Clermont Carn (52, 56) or Greenore (40, 43) are closer to you and Clermont Carn is much more powerful, have you scanned for it?

What group aerial are you using for Saorview?
    Which Freeview transmitter are you receiving from?

Which transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Believe it or not the site suggested the Three Rock so scanned for it.

Clermont Carn (52, 56) or Greenore (40, 43) are closer to you and Clermont Carn is much more powerful, have you scanned for it?

Have tried these channels but no joy.

What group aerial are you using for Saorview?

I'm unsure on this one

Divis

I may not get a chance to look at this again for a few days but will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

I may not get a chance to look at this again for a few days but will let you know how I get on.

Having the aerial in the attic could be problem for Three Rock reception, I'd guess if you mounted it outside you should an improvement.

Divis

Divis has a multiplex on UHF channel 33, same as Three Rock mux 2.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Divis has a multiplex on UHF channel 33, same as Three Rock mux 2.

Co-channel interference, that would be a problem. Divis COM7 Mux (BBC4 HD, BBC News HD etc.) sharing the same frequency as Three Rock Mux2 (RTÉ1 HD, RTÉ Junior/RTÉ1+1). Moving the aerial outside won't sort that.

@Zeus06, any chance you could get Clermont Carn (52, 56) or Greenore (40, 43) with an external aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

does BBC4HD come in on channel 33 in the North? Can't seem to pick this up despite being able to get all the other UK HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Patricia Mackle

dubmick wrote: »
    does BBC4HD come in on channel 33 in the North? Can't seem to pick this up despite being able to get all the other UK HD channels.

Not all UK transmitters are broadcasting BBC4 HD yet.

It's on ch. 33 from Divis (Belfast). It's on lower power than the other HD services & is co-channel with Saorview mux 2 from Three Rock, so won't be widely receivable south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

Not all UK transmitters are broadcasting BBC4 HD yet.

Thanks, will this change?

• Advertisement

will this change?

Unlikely in the short/medium term. Certainly not at the relay transmitters. There will most likely be a shakeup in 4-5 years when more spectrum is sold to the mobile opertators.

One of the stated aims of having these 'interim' HD services, is to persuade more people to buy DVB-T2 equipment & I would think it's implied, lessen the outcry when all services inevitably move to this newer, more efficient transmission standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

It's on lower power than the other HD services & is co-channel with Saorview mux 2 from Three Rock, so won't be widely receivable south of the border.

ERP is reputedly 10 kw which is much higher than the old pre DSO low power muxes.

Failing terrestrial reception, all the new BBC HD channels are available on Freesat and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AndrewBelfast

Hi all

I live in East Belfast. Recently got YouView fitted, which receives all of the normal freeview channels, including BBC HD, UTV HD etc. However it is not picking up any RTE channels. I am not 100% sure if my aerial is pointed at Divis or Black Mountain, or if this matters.

Does anyone know if YouView picks up the RTE channels (I can't see why it wouldn't) and if it does, is there a particular transmitter I should have my aerial aimed at?

Thanks!

Yes, the YouView box does pick up the Irish muxes, but you need an aerial pointing at Clermont Carn, same as in the analogue days. East Belfast was always a bit patchy for analogue reception. Really depends where you are. The YouView box doesn't handle having the UK and Irish MUXES very well either. It won't record cross MUX booked programming, so you need to leave the box on an Irish MUX if you want it to record something on one of it's channels. On the other hand, you should be able to receive the NI Mini MUX in East Belfast, this will give you RTE 1,2 and TG4. It is lower power than the other channels, but would have thought you should be able to receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AndrewBelfast

Hi - thanks for the reply

Sorry, I don't really know the technical terms yet!

What is the NI Mini MUX? (Or indeed, what is a MUX?!) How can I get this? Is there some kind of manual tune I need to do?

Also, will the Clermont Carn transmitter still give me all of the channels I currently get, including HD?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Hi - thanks for the reply

Sorry, I don't really know the technical terms yet!

What is the NI Mini MUX? (Or indeed, what is a MUX?!) How can I get this? Is there some kind of manual tune I need to do?

Also, will the Clermont Carn transmitter still give me all of the channels I currently get, including HD?

Thanks again

NI Mini-mux is RTE1/2 and TG4 being broadcast from local transmitters in NI. In your case from Black Mountain and possibly receivable also from Carnmoney (depending on topology). You could manually tune in Ch. 39 for the Black Mountain mini-mux. Clermont Carn (channels 52/56) will give you all the Saorview channels including RTE 1 HD/RTE 2 HD. In order to receive the latter you require an RTE aerial possibly amplified.

You can't manually tune channels on a YouView box. Yes, if you can receive the NI MUX you will still get the UK channels as it is designed to add RTE1, 2 and TG4 to the Belfast aera. May need to upgrade your aerial though. You would need a separate one for the Irish transmitters, just as in analogue days. These can be diplexed into one lead at the rooftop. Though RTE analogue reception was never great in E Belfast, I have no idea how well the digi signal gets in there. If you can receive RTE etc from Belfast they are at 51,52 and 53 on the YouView box.

You should have absolutely no problems with the NI Mux throughout East Belfast and I doubt you'll need to upgrade your aerial.

Some parts of east Belfast should be able to receive Saorview from Clermont Cairn e.g. the lower ends of the Newtownards Road and Castlereagh Road, but other areas will have problems especially those in the lea of the Castlreagh Hills e.g. the Knock, Cregagh, and Belmont areas.

Your best bet is probably the Ni mux.

You can't manually tune channels on a YouView box.

I'm wondering why not ??????

On my Humax PVR (not Youview) this is done under instillation, tuning, and then manual tune

• Advertisement

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I'm wondering why not ??????

On my Humax PVR (not Youview) this is done under instillation, tuning, and then manual tune

Because the YouView software isn't the same as that on the native Humax. There is no manual tune option.

Advertisement