Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AndrewBelfast

Thanks for all the replies so far guys

So, basically, am I right in saying that if I aim my aerial at the Black Mountain transmitter, the YouView should pick up RTE1, 2 and TG4 (which are all I am after btw.)?

If I don't receive them after that, I basically need a new aerial - or a booster of some kind?

Cheers again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Thanks for all the replies so far guys

So, basically, am I right in saying that if I aim my aerial at the Black Mountain transmitter, the YouView should pick up RTE1, 2 and TG4 (which are all I am after btw.)?

If I don't receive them after that, I basically need a new aerial - or a booster of some kind?

Cheers again

Those three channels are part of the Freeview HD lineup in the north: if you're receiving all the others, you should also be receiving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

culabula wrote: »
    Those three channels are part of the Freeview HD lineup in the north: if you're receiving all the others, you should also be receiving them.

But on a separate mux and from only 3 transmitters using DVB-T2 with SD video.

The Cush wrote: »
    But on a separate mux and from only 3 transmitters using DVB-T2 with SD video.

Of course -but surely everyone in Belfast receives them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

culabula wrote: »
    Of course -but surely everyone in Belfast receives them?

Yes - difficult to think of any area of Belfast unable to pick either Black Mountain or Carnmoney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

SRB wrote: »
    Because the YouView software isn't the same as that on the native Humax. There is no manual tune option.

Strange.

That would put me off ever buying a Youview box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Strange.

That would put me off ever buying a Youview box.

I agree. My Sony PVR box has with an autotune put in weaker Black Mountain multiplex channels ahead of Divis ones so I have had to wipe the channel list altogether and then manually tune in the Divis multiplexes. This would have been very difficult to do with an autotune only box.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭egal

I'm in Omagh and am getting Saorview from Longford. I don't seem to be able to get the mux 2 channels (UHF44), only mux1 (UHF47). The TV on the other hand pulls in both muxes fine. The YouView box is a TalkTalk Huawei. I am getting the UK channels from Brougher but I also get a strong signal from Strabane. Could this have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

egal wrote: »
    The TV on the other hand pulls in both muxes fine. The YouView box is a TalkTalk Huawei.

Have you tested the Youview box at the same TV point as the working TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

egal wrote: »
    I'm in Omagh and am getting Saorview from Longford. I don't seem to be able to get the mux 2 channels (UHF44), only mux1 (UHF47). The TV on the other hand pulls in both muxes fine. The YouView box is a TalkTalk Huawei. I am getting the UK channels from Brougher but I also get a strong signal from Strabane. Could this have anything to do with it?

If I'm right about adjacent channel interference in DVB-T, Strabane ch.45 would have to be more than 25dB above Cairn Hill ch.44 at the receiver, to cause problems. I seriously doubt that's the case.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Have you tested the Youview box at the same TV point as the working TV?
    Yes.

Thurston? wrote: »
    If I'm right about adjacent channel interference in DVB-T, Strabane ch.45 would have to be more than 25dB above Cairn Hill ch.44 at the receiver, to cause problems. I seriously doubt that's the case.
    OK. I thought maybe the stronger signal from Strabane was somehow "pulling" the box past 44 and not allowing it to tune in. Now, if only Strabane were to go off air for a few minutes...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 p13

I have a Sony Bravia TV with inbuilt freeview. Just have an indoor aerial. Just tried to tune the channels there for the first time and can't pick up RTÉ at all, let alone having the option of Saorview. Any suggestions?

You cannot pick up Saorview unless you have a Freeview HD tuner. Freeview of itself does not suffice. Is this the case ?

You need a Freeview tuner that can receive MPEG 4 in order to receive Saorview, not necessarily a Freeview HD receiver, although a Freeview HD receiver will receive MPEG 4 transmissions.

The RTE minimux in NI uses the DVB T2 standard and can only be received using a Freeview HD receiver, even though they are broadcast in standard definition.

DVB T2 will become the UK broadcast standard at some point in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

p13 wrote: »
    I have a Sony Bravia TV with inbuilt freeview. Just have an indoor aerial. Just tried to tune the channels there for the first time and can't pick up RTÉ at all, let alone having the option of Saorview. Any suggestions?

Where are you located? Did you ever get RTE back in the day in snowy analogue?
    How old is your TV aerial?
    What channels can you get on freeview?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

p13 wrote: »
    Even if you don't have a Freeview HD TV you should still be able to get RTE1 and 2 alnong with TG4

No, you have to have a Freeview HD tuner to receive the RTÉ minimux. See above.

A standard Freeview receiver will tune Saorview and some will receive sound from the TV stations but the screen will be blank. Saorview radio stations can be received with no problems on a DVB T1 TV.

Some standard Freeview TVs decode MPEG 4 transmissions and should be able to receive Saorview but not the RTE minimux, but there aren't many models in the U.K. Philips did have some in their range some years back.

Radio stations broadcast in DVB T2 cannot be received on a standard Freeview receiver of any sort.

A standard Freeview receivers will tune Saorview and some will receive sound from the TV stations but the screen will be blank. Saorview radio stations can be received with no problems on a DVB T1 TV.

Some standard Freeview TVs decode MPEG 4 transmissions and should be able to receive Saorview but not the RTE minimux, but there aren't many models in the U.K. Philips did have some in their range some years back.

Radio stations broadcast in DVB T2 cannot be received on a standard Freeview receiver of any sort.

• Advertisement

A standard Freeview receivers will tune Saorview and some will receive sound from the TV stations but the screen will be blank. Saorview radio stations can be received with no problems on a DVB T1 TV.

• Advertisement

Advertisement