Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

• 24-10-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I (and others) would be interested to see reports of direct Saorview reception (not NIMM) in Northern Ireland once all transmitters and relays are up to full power on permanent channels, probably from 1:00pm onwards. Thanks ;)

(PS any chance of a mod making this a sticky for a few days?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I could get Saorview in Armagh even though the signal was nulled in my direction and on low power. I fully expect to be able to receive the full service later today when it goes unrestricted and on full power. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Nervously hopeful that I will be able to get Saorview here in Belfast.
    Had slightly grainy but very watchable analogue picture on RTE1, RTE2 and TV3 so I am really not sure what (if anything) I will get from the digital signal...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Report of Clermont ch. 52 reception on DS. Poster gives location as Newtownards.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Saorview from Clermont Carn (Ch52V) - splendid result here in Bangor, County Down. We are located within the Bangor ring road. Bit of a hill (with trees) between us and CC. The analogue signal from CC was fair to poor.

Theaerials.jpg

Strength is about equal to that of the Divis channels. Quality is 100% on all multiplexes - Divis, Black Mountain and Clermont Carn.
    There is a masthead amp (20dB) and back-of-set amp/splitter (maybe 6dB). All the scaremongering about signal amplifiers is just that here. I'll play with removing the amplifiers at some later date.
    Receiver is HUMAX HDR-FOX T2. I have not yet gone through all the facilities to see how they integrate. The RTÉ channels from CC are in the 800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

How do you know if you are picking up Saorview from Clermont Carn in the south or NIMM from Divies in Belfast.

South Belfast: I have a Panasonic freeview HD, and am picking up RTE1 RTE2HD, RTE news , RTE Kids, TV3, 3e and the radio channels (strong signal). Witch i thick are all form Saorview Clermont Can, can anyone confirm.
    Also what numbers on free view are the RTE channels form Divies on the Freeview uk

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

How do you know if you are picking up Saorview from Clermont Carn in the south or NIMM from Divies in Belfast.

TV3, RTE news , RTE Kids etc.

WOW!!!

PERFECT Saorview reception here in Belfast city!!! ALL CHANNELS!!!

I'm using just a standard aerial positioned vertical and pointing in CC direction attached to my satellite dish pole out the back of my house.

Analogue reception previous was grainy and TG4 was almost unwatchable.

Quite surprised and very pleased at the Saorview results!!!!

Oh - and the TV3 Teletext Saroview "test" on page 284 yesterday indicated I wouldn't get decent Saorview at all (lots of missing boxes / red boxes).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Looks like Clermont is delivering the full 160kw alright! :D

ardmacha wrote: »
    TV3, RTE news , RTE Kids etc.

should i also be getting NIMM on freeview HD or is it just one or the outer?

tk

• Advertisement

tk

You'll get both - on Freeview the RTE channels showed up at 51,52,53 - the Saorview channels showed up for me in the 800s.

One easy way is to check RTE2.
    It's RTE2 HD on Saorview and just RTE2 on Freeview Divis.

Freeview Divis btw only broadcasting RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 - not the full Saorview set of channels.

If you are getting the UK HD channels then you should be able to get the NIMM in South Belfast (from Black Mountain, no NIMM on Divis) Freeview channels 51,52,and 53 (TG4, RTE1 & RTE2). Remember some sports could be blocked on NIMM's RTE 2 same as on SKY, better of with Saorview: HD and no programme blocks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you have Freeview HD equipment, the NImux services will be numbered in the 50s.

If you have an aerial for Clermont diplexed with one for Divis, there's a chance that reception of UHF channel 39 could suffer.

You'll get both - on Freeview the RTE channels showed up at 51,52,53 - the Saorview channels showed up for me in the 800s.

One easy way is to check RTE2.
    It's RTE2 HD on Saorview and just RTE2 on Freeview Divis.

Freeview Divis btw only broadcasting RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 - not the full Saorview set of channels.

on my free view HD i do not have channels 51,52,53 , it goes to 50 and the jumps to 55. will this change latter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Reception on an indoor aerial (not amplified!) here in Omagh on my portable DVD player whose TV tuner is fairly 'deaf' compared to other receivers I have!

225671.jpg

:D

on my free view HD i do not have channels 51,52,53 , it goes to 50 and the jumps to 55. will this change latter?

Do you have the UK HD channels from 101 on up?

I don't know about that.

But you're getting Saorview so no need to worry! :-)

And the RTE channels on Freeview will have certain programmes blocked from time to time due to copyright - not to mention RTE2 HD unavailable. So no need for those!

lawhec wrote: »
    Reception on an indoor aerial (not amplified!) here in Omagh on my portable DVD player whose TV tuner is fairly 'deaf' compared to other receivers I have!

WOW! that is seriously impressive :eek:
    I have seen reports from near Belfast that it is coming in stronger than Divis!!

Any news of Truskmore, Holywell Hill, and Moville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Any news of Truskmore, Holywell Hill, and Moville?
    Truskmore only got or gets a 'marginal' boost in comparison from 63kW to 160kW - about a 4db increase, will probably not "add" much coverage but should help solidify those whose reception was on the fringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I can't wait to get home at lunchtime (15 minutes!) and see how good our Clermont is. Our RTÉ ONE signal which was previously on 52 was next to perfect so I'm imagining that we will get it just fine. We could even get the original service on 53 despite it being low power and nulled towards us. <fingers crossed>

lawhec wrote: »
    Truskmore only got or gets a 'marginal' boost in comparison from 63kW to 160kW - about a 4db increase, will probably not "add" much coverage but should help solidify those whose reception was on the fringe.

Yea I know, but still interested in reception reports from anyone gettin it in N.I.

Paddy C wrote: »
    I can't wait to get home at lunchtime (15 minutes!) and see how good our Clermont is. Our RTÉ ONE signal which was previously on 52 was next to perfect so I'm imagining that we will get it just fine. We could even get the original service on 53 despite it being low power and nulled towards us. <fingers crossed>
    "just fine" could be the understatement of the day if other reports are anything to go by. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Remember some sports could be blocked on NIMM's RTE 2 same as on SKY, better of with Saorview: HD and no programme blocks!

why would some sports / programmes be blocked who'd be infringing whose rights now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

CC Mux on 52 coming in on an indoor attic aerial here in Portaferry. Even with an outdoor aerial on a 20 foot mast, I was only ever able to get a "just about watchable" RTE1, no TG4 or TV from Louth.
    CCIndoor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I'm in Monaghan and we have a booster on our aerial (outdoor) and we got everything from Freeview and Soarview without a hitch

Just noticed this on Dave - It's defiantly watchable, so I am not worried about it...or should I? (Regarding the signal strength)

1ibmA

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

saorview is fine here at Fortwilliam North belfast! i could get analogue rte and tv3 before the switch over

dmm1000 wrote: »
    why would some sports / programmes be blocked who'd be infringing whose rights now ?
    For some sports (eg. Champions League football) RTE would only hold the rights for the RoI (ITV for N.I.) and therefore not allowed to broadcast that from platforms (SKY, Freeview) within N.I. but OK on Saorview as that is "only for RoI" viewers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

well on the ni rte mux - home and away is currently blocked!

• Advertisement

dbcool wrote: »
    well on the ni rte mux - home and away is currently blocked!
    Yea, think Channel 5 have UK rights for that. Like I said you are better of with Saorview direct (if you can get it)

Advertisement