Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 desm52

culabula wrote: »
    Somebody does, 4 doors up, but that short distance might be all it takes. The installer actually put the aerial up and we did multiple reinstalls. No go. At that point, I decided to cut my losses and got away with a 35GBP call-out charge. Saorsat an equally expensive option and simply not worth it. I'll stick with my iPad -Airplay option. It's really very good and I can manipulate the sound on RTÉ Two HD by applying DPxii giving fairly pleasing results.
    Can I ask how you playback RTE through the iPad? Are you not affected by geo locking of available programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I was at a mates house on the Lisburn Road in Belfast over the weekend and they hadn't even tuned in their TV since the switchover (they didn't know how! :rolleyes:) so I did it for them. On a crappy aerial lying on the floor they got all Freeview channels perfectly and the TV stopped on 52 for a good 20 seconds before moving on. It's a cheapo TV though with no MPEG4 or DVB-T2 tuner so not surprised at there being no channels, but was surprised the search stopped on 52 for a bit, so even with the aerial on the floor it seemed to pick up Clermont, they just need a better TV or a STB and they could be in business, and if the aerial was off the floor a bit and pointing in the right direction that might help too!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

desm52 wrote: »
    Can I ask how you playback RTE through the iPad? Are you not affected by geo locking of available programs?

Yes. But a VPN to the rescue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shadow007

Iderown wrote: »
    Saorview from Clermont Carn (Ch52V) - splendid result here in Bangor, County Down. We are located within the Bangor ring road. Bit of a hill (with trees) between us and CC. The analogue signal from CC was fair to poor.

Theaerials.jpg

Strength is about equal to that of the Divis channels. Quality is 100% on all multiplexes - Divis, Black Mountain and Clermont Carn.
    There is a masthead amp (20dB) and back-of-set amp/splitter (maybe 6dB). All the scaremongering about signal amplifiers is just that here. I'll play with removing the amplifiers at some later date.
    Receiver is HUMAX HDR-FOX T2. I have not yet gone through all the facilities to see how they integrate. The RTÉ channels from CC are in the 800s.
    I live inside the ringroad area in bangor - Ambleside. Am unable to get RTE channels from Divis with my standard aerial - reception only goes up to Ch 29 or 528 MHZ. What sort of aerial have you got and who helped you set it up for Clermont?

Regards

shadow007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

shadow007 wrote: »
    I live inside the ringroad area in bangor - Ambleside. Am unable to get RTE channels from Divis with my standard aerial - reception only goes up to Ch 29 or 528 MHZ. What sort of aerial have you got and who helped you set it up for Clermont?

Regards

shadow007

RTE1/2 and TG4 are broadcast from Black Mountain, not Divis as well as on very low power from Carnmoney Hill in Belfast. BTW my parents used to live near you in Windermere Drive and had grainy RTE analogue with a lot of co-channel from Whitehead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Shadow007 - I'm located just off the lower part of the Bloomfield Road. You are probably on higher ground than we are.

The aerial (in the photo) used for Divis and Black Mountain is the horizontally polarised smaller one lower down the mast. The angular distance between BM and Divis is about 5 degrees here. Well within the acceptance lobe of the aerial. The signal from BM on Ch E39 is fine.

Is it possible that you are using a standard definition box or television? If so, you will not be able to see either NIMUX or the Freeview HD channels from Divis on Ch E24. A Freeview HD receiver is needed for NIMUX even though its programmes are in SD.

The aerials were got from an outfit (cannot remember the name - CES?) close to the wind turbine. I did the installation myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deejaygav

Shadow007 - I'm located just off the lower part of the Bloomfield Road. You are probably on higher ground than we are.

The aerial (in the photo) used for Divis and Black Mountain is the horizontally polarised smaller one lower down the mast. The angular distance between BM and Divis is about 5 degrees here. Well within the acceptance lobe of the aerial. The signal from BM on Ch E39 is fine.

Is it possible that you are using a standard definition box or television? If so, you will not be able to see either NIMUX or the Freeview HD channels from Divis on Ch E24. A Freeview HD receiver is needed for NIMUX even though its programmes are in SD.

The aerials were got from an outfit (cannot remember the name - CES?) close to the wind turbine. I did the installation myself.

I also live in Bangor in the Abbey Drive area off the Newtownards Road and I am looking to try and get the Saorview service from Clermont Carn and originally thought it wouldn't be possible but now hopefully after your success plus the ones from Rathmore Road. However I'm finding it difficult getting an aerial installer to get back to me and the one that did quoted me £160 and wouldn't guarantee that it would work. I have ended up buying a 52 element wide band aerial and plan to try myself plus the use of a signal booster. I also have a humax HDR T2 and can currently get great signal strength from Divis and Black Mountain from my non wide band roof aerial. Hopefully have an update this weekend.

Although I am on higher ground I am in bungalow Ambleside which is on a slope down from Windermere wuith Coniston and golf club trees on up the ridge. Aerial is on chimmney with long pole. However seeing that I could always get old Channel 5 and I can get all the 80 Freeview channels from 21 up to 29, I think it may be my aerial. My box is ok i-can easy Freeview HD as I was able to get RTE one and TWo and TG4 in a friend's house on the Bally maconnell road (opposite the playing fields). Box is showing no signal being received on CH39.

On the other hand my neighnbour who has a square type aerial can only get the 80 channels although he is using a HD TV but I think they can allso convert MPEG4 signal!! (Although Freeview potscoed checker shows he can get RTE and shows 'variable' reception for my house number!!!

Did you mean TAS here in Bangor? I would be interested in getting your help with this seeing as you know more than a lot of installers!!

Regards
    shadow007

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

I see from posts on ds that YouView boxes are picking up RTE without any bother: one poster is getting RTE Moville in North Antrim. This is quite handy as BT and TalkTalk have special deals for their ISP customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I see from posts on ds that YouView boxes are picking up RTE without any bother

Yes, I would imagine they should do as the Youview boxes are Freeview HD and made by Humax.

My Humax boxes have no problems with Saorview whatsoever, other than putting the channels in the 800's.

• Advertisement

Could the company be CEF at Ballo Way. Can you tell me the name and type of aerials? I would also be keen to enlist your help with installation. Regards

shadow007 - yes, it's CEF, the web site is here. I cannot remember the make of the aerial, maybe print out the photo and take with you. But, don't give up on the aerial that you already have. If you are seeing good strength and quality signals on the other multiplexes then your aerial may be OK. Pain in the ass to go roof scaling at this time of year!

Maybe just one further question for you. Do you have any kit there which has an RF analogue modulator built in or connected? I'm thinking of VCR, DVD player, Sky receiver, security camera. Reason is that if the RF output had been put on channel E40 or E39 then it could interfere with the signal from Black Mountain.

I will PM you with my email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    I see from posts on ds that YouView boxes are picking up RTE without any bother: one poster is getting RTE Moville in North Antrim. This is quite handy as BT and TalkTalk have special deals for their ISP customers...
    Yes, no problem with YouView box or the BT Vision boxes (the BT internet EPG is even carrying the listings at last), the channels do indeed sit in the 800's, only issue is the lack of manual record on YV. RTE scheduling means the box clips start and end of progs. To be fair, happens with Ch5 a lot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

... yes, it's CEF, the web site is here. I cannot remember the make of the aerial

They appear to be Triax aerials: a Unix 52 at the top & a Unix 32 underneath.

shadow007 - yes, it's CEF, the web site is here. I cannot remember the make of the aerial, maybe print out the photo and take with you. But, don't give up on the aerial that you already have. If you are seeing good strength and quality signals on the other multiplexes then your aerial may be OK. Pain in the ass to go roof scaling at this time of year!

Maybe just one further question for you. Do you have any kit there which has an RF analogue modulator built in or connected? I'm thinking of VCR, DVD player, Sky receiver, security camera. Reason is that if the RF output had been put on channel E40 or E39 then it could interfere with the signal from Black Mountain.

I will PM you with my email address.
    Thanks a million for your help. Will follow up your info especially checking my DVD, VCR,, satellite box, connections. Just giving my back a rest at moment after all the bending in behing TV (10 year old Panasonic CRT which still gives me great pictures) setting up the Freeview box and reconnecting RF leads on other boxes. Using SCart on i-Can box even tho it has a RF input and output as I couldn't get a picture. May be that is the clue re possible interference from RF connection channel. Once again many thanks for your help. Yes it isn't really the weather for roof climbing especially this morning.Regards shadow007:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Newryrep

Installed a splitter 5 weeks ago and when retuned main TV (via a Humax Fox HDR) and bedroom TV got the full range of channels although didnt get the HD through the bedroom room for some reason (it is a HD tv)but not the end of the world. - happy days

however recently reception has been particully bad, have lost Film 4 despite several retunes n the Humax which I assume has the strongest signal. The bedroom UTV and CH4 are unwatchable at times due to breakup. Bedroom TV was tuned by selecting ROI as when I tuned using UK the Saorview channels werent picked up

Poor/now not available

Main TV - Film4, Yesterday, ITV4 , 4seven

Humax - Film4, 4 music, Yesterday, ITV4.

Bedroom TV - All channels now available i cluding Film 4 and ITV 4 Yesterday ??????????????????????????????????

I am more perplexed than before. ITV and CH4 were unwatchable during the week on the bedroom

Do I need to boost the signal, due to atsmopheric condiions.

always had Saorview even throught the analogue

Cabel is split with the through feed to the Humax , the scondary to the bedroom and the main TV linked to the Humax

Any idea's, located in Newry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Your problems are probably just due to low signal strength, as much as anything else. Are there already any amplifiers in the system?

Freeview HD is only available on tvs that can handle DVB-T2 transmissions. Simply having a HD display is no guarantee of that.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Your problems are probably just due to low signal strength, as much as anything else. Are there already any amplifiers in the system?

Freeview HD is only available on tvs that can handle DVB-T2 transmissions. Simply having a HD display is no guarantee of that.

not that I am aware of, always had decent irish channel coverage even before switchover, RTE1,2 TV3,3e and TG4 all digitally before switchover .the new channels (never had UTV or Channel 4 digitially before) seem to be the problematic ones original ones 5USA etc seem fine.

Would a splitter with a power supply ? solve my problem ?

Do you have the Saorview channels? The Clermont Carn station is now broadcasting on UHF channel 52 & the original ch. 53 transmissions were switched off on Nov. 7th.

As for the UK channels, have you tried the postcode checker here: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/? You can check 'detailed view' if you want more than the basic info.

Do you have the Saorview channels? The Clermont Carn station is now broadcasting on UHF channel 52 & the original ch. 53 transmissions were switched off on Nov. 7th.

As for the UK channels, have you tried the postcode checker here: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/? You can check 'detailed view' if you want more than the basic info.

Yes I have Saorview

I also have Film4, Yesterday, ITV4 , 4seven and UTV and CH 4 on occasions on all TVs, sometimes only on the Humax but on other occasions they are unwatchable - ie breaking up or no signal at all

• Advertisement

If your problem has been caused solely by dividing the signal between 2 tv points, then replacing the splitter with a distribution amplifier should be all that needs doing.

If something else has caused an additional drop in signal level e.g. water damage to cables/connections, the fault will likely get worse as time goes on & the amplifier will only provide a temporary reprieve.

If your problem has been caused solely by dividing the signal between 2 tv points, then replacing the splitter with a distribution amplifier should be all that needs doing.

If something else has caused an additional drop in signal level e.g. water damage to cables/connections, the fault will likely get worse as time goes on & the amplifier will only provide a temporary reprieve.

Not sure if this has caused the problem as it was only a few days between the changeover and me attempting to split the signal. It is frustrating that some days the picture is fine on those problem channels and other times there is no signal at all....... for no apparent reason unless atsmsopheric conditions

As long as the signal stays above the receivers' strength/quality threshold, you will have apparently perfect reception. Any further signal degradation & you'll lose reception.

Your system needs to be capable of delivering a signal that includes an extra margin to cope with normally occuring fluctuations.

Hi Iderown - have disconnected all other boxes - VCR, satellite, old SKY box and used only scart connection from Freeview HD box to TV and still says no signal. Incidentally I checked the strength/quality on my channels CH21 - 45%/ 100%, CH22 - 0%/0%, CH23 - 40%/100%, CH24 - 47%/72%, CH25 - 0%/0%, CH27 - 38%/100%, CH28 - 0%/0%, CH29 - 32%/100%. No reception after CH29 so I presume I have a Group A aerial. I have a picture but don't know how to insert into this message.

Someone on internet suggested I try moving aerial more towards Black Mountain to see if this improves reception for NIMM RTE. Although I would still like to consider picking up CC sometime. I rang one installer who said that he had installed a system in Donaghadee which got CC. He hadn't done any in Bangor but estimated £140 for the job includng aerial but if it didn't work then I was left with a monument on my roof and no mention of dismantling, etc Regards.shadow007

shadow007 - I ran around your area last Sunday. Most (all?) the aerials I happened to see were standard "contract" types. No high gain ones. Those at Coniston Road are on higher masts than others. I guess there are trees and higher ground just beyond there - as you said, on the golf course.

The only aerial for Clermont Carn that I happened to see is close to the Gransha Road roundabout. On the south side of the ring road and not far beyond the roundabout. Is it called either Regency Square or Hanover Hill? It is a basic contract type, but in a good location.

Those signal strengths look a bit on the low side - but I bet there is a variation in the indicated strengths depending on receiver or box in use. Here, the indicated strengths are 75%-80% (includes CC). The NIMUX signal is 40%-42%.

I would be happy to call with you along with a signal amplifier to try. I have messaged you with my email address. Please do NOT put your address. phone number or email address on an open web page. Your personal messages are accessed by the drop-down menu beside your username after you have logged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

Hi – Is there anyone who could advise me if I can get Saorview (and not the restricted RTE1/2/4 from a Northern transmitter) in Glengormley and if so what do I need apart from Freeview HD STB eg aerial requirements etc
    Thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

eamonpk wrote: »
    Hi – Is there anyone who could advise me if I can get Saorview (and not the restricted RTE1/2/4 from a Northern transmitter) in Glengormley and if so what do I need apart from Freeview HD STB eg aerial requirements etc

Would have thought with Cavehill/Divis in the way, getting Saorview would be pretty difficult although it may depend on which part of Glengormley you live. Even with increased power from Clermont Carn it may be a long shot but you could always try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

eamonpk wrote: »

Of course it depends on exactly where you live and obstructions. For an aerial setup best to talk with local installers. The ideal aerial setup would be as high as possibile with a specialised channelised aerial, a special channelised masthead pre-amplifier, a combiner and a power supply beside the TV. This is quite specialised and hard to set up. Depending on your location nothing may be good enough.

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/
    The official coverage checker says it is quite easily possible in Green Island and Carrickfergus. Were there ever RTE aerials in your area in the past? Do neighbouring houses have 2 aerials on their roof pointing different directions?

Even if it does work expect it still to break for a few weeks a year during high pressure (good weather).

An alternative is Saorsat which need a 1 Metre diameter solid dish and a special setup. This would give you reliably RTE1, RTE2 in HD (not available in Hd from Northern transmitters) and every other Saorview channel except TV3 and 3E (they opted not to go on it)

Again speak with a local specialist satellite installer (I could recommend one if needed). The main downside with Saorsat is the dish size required, a receiver per TV, and possibly more channels in the future may chose not to appear on it that are available by Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Would have thought with Cavehill/Divis in the way, getting Saorview would be pretty difficult although it may depend on which part of Glengormley you live. Even with increased power from Clermont Carn it may be a long shot but you could always try.

Yep, it depnds what part as you say Digifriendly.

I've seen quite a few CC aerials along the Antrim Road, right up until Glengormley, and even some around Carnmoney.

Clermont Cairn really has improved quite dramatically here ever since DSO, and it's by far the strongest signal at this location, so you'll never know until you try. You may very well be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

Hi and thanks very much – I really appreciate advice from everyone and also still hopeful I can get it.

I spoke to knowledgeable TV guy in Enniskillen (I'm originally from Fermanagh) advised me to not give up as Clermont Carn is putting out a strong signal - hence I put the question on the board.

If you know Glengormley I am in Colinbridge which is very high up and gets Freeview from a relay transmitter in Carnmoney I was so keen to get RTE when I moved here the guy in Enniskillen got me a Sky+ box initialized in Longford which I brought up to Glengormley. Now since digital switchover the options have increased hopefully I can ditch Sky and get RTE etc using another method

I considered Saorsat although I still won’t get TV3 and 3E which I would primarily miss as they now get a slice of the Champions League and GAA championship. Apart from that I don’t see any real advantage over Saorview from the Northern transmitter and the fact that I will get the blocked RTE2 transmissions. Or is possible to add FreeSat so that all Free/SaorSat will come to one box and show on one EPG? If so then I would consider it – or even if there was a good chance that TV3 or other channels were thinking of going with SaorSat

I don’t know of anyone who got RTE before but to be honest I don’t know many about here anyway. Tomorrow snow permitting I am going to take a walk around and look for 2 aerials or elevated aerials pointing South to Clermont Carn

zg3409 if you can give me any details of any local specialist satellite installer here I would appreciate it.

Lastly if any my knowledge is incorrect please let me know as I don’t pretend to be an expert and thanks again.

Sky it’s been great but we need to go our separate ways!

Advertisement