Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

As an aside, I notice Home and Away wasn't geoblocked today on the NIMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marty.r

Hi, been following these pages for a while now and now feel I need help!!
    Living in Omagh, I got a new rooftop aerial that installer said would pick up RTE signal, but at the minute I only get the same as the old aerial. I have tried to pick up the RTE channels on freeview, or Saorivew on an Opticum HD T90. Can't get anything other than standard freeview channels. The Opticum HD T90 was sold as ready for Saorview, maybe it's not, I know it's not approved. I'd be glad of any help....Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lldave

Many thanks for the advice guys.
    It worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I'd still think about changing your aerial to a wideband model as channel 39 is probably nearer group B than A. I'd also have a go at Clermont Cairn as reports are being received well into Co. Antrim.

I think the Digital UK reception reports for the NI mux are somewhat over inflated as they predict good reception from Black Mountain at my location, yet signal strength is quite low. Signal strength vairies from box to box by the way, so the readings really are quite arbitrary. Only between 20-30 for Black Mountain on the Humax, though no break up. Carnmoney Hill off the C.C. aerial is actually quite a bit stronger.

Saorview's postcode checker is the other way around and placed me just outside their coverage area. In practice, it's even better than the high powered Muxes from Divis, which was quite a surpise.
    I just thought of something. The signal meter in some devices, giving arbitrary % units as they often do, may just be calculating a percentage as a function of received signal strength and nothing else. So the NIMux is indeed being received at a low signal strength but only needs a comparatively low signal to noise ratio to function as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

Is anyone experiencing a problem with Saorview from Moville this afternoon?
    I have no programmes at all but do have EPG
    I tried a manual re-tune for CH45 but found Signal Strength zero and Quality zero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

geriatrix wrote: »
    Is anyone experiencing a problem with Saorview from Moville this afternoon?
    I have no programmes at all but do have EPG
    I tried a manual re-tune for CH45 but found Signal Strength zero and Quality zero

Don't know if there is any engineering work due?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

Don't know if there is any engineering work due?

Checked when I got your Post.

It's OK again - Quality 95% as measured by one device and Good by another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

marty.r wrote: »
    Living in Omagh, I got a new rooftop aerial that installer said would pick up RTE signal, but at the minute I only get the same as the old aerial. I have tried to pick up the RTE channels on freeview, or Saorivew on an Opticum HD T90. Can't get anything other than standard freeview channels. The Opticum HD T90 was sold as ready for Saorview, maybe it's not, I know it's not approved. I'd be glad of any help....Thanks.
    Did the installer install two aerials or just one?
    If he installed only one and said that it would pick up RTÉ then they most likely rigged up an aerial aimed at Brougher Mountain which has the NI Mux which carries RTÉ One and Two.
    If he installed two then depending on your location the second aerial then all being good your Opticum should be showing RTÉ One and Two along with a few others like TV3, 3e, News Now etc.
    The Opticum receiver you mention seems to only have a DVB-T tuner. If this is the case and you cannot get any of the Freeview HD channels either on 101 to 104 but you can get Dave, ITV3 and ITV4, and you cannot get any RTÉ channels then you will either need a second aerial installed that will receive RTÉ from a Saorview transmitter, or a Freeview HD receiver to receive the NI mux from Brougher. The former option is a better one as it will give you more channels, RTÉ Two in HD and no programme blocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

sister in law in Omagh gets all channels without any problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18 powerunit

I (and others) would be interested to see reports of direct Saorview reception (not NIMM) in Northern Ireland once all transmitters and relays are up to full power on permanent channels, probably from 1:00pm onwards. Thanks ;)

(PS any chance of a mod making this a sticky for a few days?)

hi just done a new install today i carrickfergus and a 18 element cd aerial picked up the rte mux from cc no problem i used a tv star hd digital terrestial receiver and no need for a fancy looking tv aerial it worked 100 percent super signal in carrickfergus . i reckon the rte mux from cc is now available in most places up north i will keep you informed each day . like wise any info is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 marty.r

lawhec wrote: »
    Did the installer install two aerials or just one?
    If he installed only one and said that it would pick up RTÉ then they most likely rigged up an aerial aimed at Brougher Mountain which has the NI Mux which carries RTÉ One and Two.
    If he installed two then depending on your location the second aerial then all being good your Opticum should be showing RTÉ One and Two along with a few others like TV3, 3e, News Now etc.
    The Opticum receiver you mention seems to only have a DVB-T tuner. If this is the case and you cannot get any of the Freeview HD channels either on 101 to 104 but you can get Dave, ITV3 and ITV4, and you cannot get any RTÉ channels then you will either need a second aerial installed that will receive RTÉ from a Saorview transmitter, or a Freeview HD receiver to receive the NI mux from Brougher. The former option is a better one as it will give you more channels, RTÉ Two in HD and no programme blocking.
    Volcane wrote: »
    sister in law in Omagh gets all channels without any problem

Thanks for the replies Volcane and lawhec.
    I called an aerial installer a few months ago as I had water leaking through my coax, and as I had no reception problems, asked him to change the coax. He told me it was an old aerial and would be no good when the switch over happened, even though I checked the reception thing on ceefax which showed it was in fact ok. When he said the new "digital" aerial would get me RTE channels through Freeview, as well as Saorview through a suitable box, for £140 I decided to go ahead with it. He stuck up the aerial, checked channel 800 on my tv for Saorview, wasn't there, said it would be there if I got a stb. Said RTE would be on freeview after the switchover, didn't say I would need a Freeview HD box. Just for the hell of it, yesterday I hooked up the old aerial to the stb, 100% reception and thats the aerial lying on the floor!

So he installed one aerial pointed at Brougher Mountain. Phoned him the other day to ask why I wasn't getting the Saorview he said I would get, he said "Saorview was to come from Brougher but they changed it". What a load of bull! Checked with a neighbour, he told her the same thing. He said I need another aerial pointing at Truskmore, so after spending £140 I'm back to square one. If he had left the old aerial alone and pointed the new one at Sligo, everything would have been fine. He's been putting up aerials for years so he should have known better. Also told him I wanted the coax into the bedrooms ....he said it couldn't be done, that only two cables from one aerial was possible...I should have chased him there and then!! Have since done all bedrooms myself, all stb's receiving at 95-100%.

The Opticum receiver IS DVB-T, so won't pick up Hd in the UK, but it's a fairly decent freeview box, and yes Saorview is available in Omagh without any problems. Thanks.

I see they've tweaked TG4 on the NIMM and it is now broadcasting in the correct ratio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So he installed one aerial pointed at Brougher Mountain. Phoned him the other day to ask why I wasn't getting the Saorview he said I would get, he said "Saorview was to come from Brougher but they changed it".

He is nothing but a cowboy, make sure you tell all your neighbours. If you have Brougher you will get Saorview if you have a Freeview HD unit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you have Brougher you will get Saorview if you have a Freeview HD unit.

:mad: It's really unhelpful to post that kind of thing here.

The NIMux isn't Saorview, or anything like: only 3 tv sevices & 1 radio, no HD, blacked out programming & no possibility for expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Finally moved to new house, took tv and aerial man arrived just after I brought the tv across. I'm very pleased to report that I now have the NIMM and Saorview from CC. In fact the Saorview is so strong, he was happy to split the signal between the three aerial sockets in the house. So no problems with rights issues with the full service from CC. RTE aerial is amped.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Well, I decided to fire up my PCTV Nano TV stick on my computer, just to see how it coped with the increased Freeview ERPs etc. (reception was previously somewhat problematic).

All Freeview channels tuned in with no break up. No sign of the NI mux or Freeview HD however, all Saorview channels coming in perfectly so obviously this particular model is MPeg 4 compatable but not DVB T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

If I was you, I'd be speaking to trading standards in your local authority. He has mis-sold you a service. You're now in a situation where you've paid money for a product he hasn't been able to provide you.

Chase it up!

Thanks for the replies Volcane and lawhec.
    I called an aerial installer a few months ago as I had water leaking through my coax, and as I had no reception problems, asked him to change the coax. He told me it was an old aerial and would be no good when the switch over happened, even though I checked the reception thing on ceefax which showed it was in fact ok. When he said the new "digital" aerial would get me RTE channels through Freeview, as well as Saorview through a suitable box, for £140 I decided to go ahead with it. He stuck up the aerial, checked channel 800 on my tv for Saorview, wasn't there, said it would be there if I got a stb. Said RTE would be on freeview after the switchover, didn't say I would need a Freeview HD box. Just for the hell of it, yesterday I hooked up the old aerial to the stb, 100% reception and thats the aerial lying on the floor!

So he installed one aerial pointed at Brougher Mountain. Phoned him the other day to ask why I wasn't getting the Saorview he said I would get, he said "Saorview was to come from Brougher but they changed it". What a load of bull! Checked with a neighbour, he told her the same thing. He said I need another aerial pointing at Truskmore, so after spending £140 I'm back to square one. If he had left the old aerial alone and pointed the new one at Sligo, everything would have been fine. He's been putting up aerials for years so he should have known better. Also told him I wanted the coax into the bedrooms ....he said it couldn't be done, that only two cables from one aerial was possible...I should have chased him there and then!! Have since done all bedrooms myself, all stb's receiving at 95-100%.

The Opticum receiver IS DVB-T, so won't pick up Hd in the UK, but it's a fairly decent freeview box, and yes Saorview is available in Omagh without any problems. Thanks.

Well, my aerial man came this morning, here in Dunmurry, to try and get me Saorview.

Zip. Zilch. Nada. 40 pounds lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

culabula wrote: »
    Well, my aerial man came this morning, here in Dunmurry, to try and get me Saorview.
    Zip. Zilch. Nada. 40 pounds lighter.
    Well I am amazed at that, you must be very unlucky ( down in a dip?) because the signal is booming in all around you.
    Did you get analogue from Clermont?

Well I am amazed at that, you must be very unlucky ( down in a dip?) because the signal is booming in all around you.
    Did you get analogue from Clermont?

No, I didn't, so I really shouldn't have bothered. But in view if the amount it was boosted, I really thought it would be simples. Not even the ghost of a signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No, I didn't, so I really shouldn't have bothered. But in view if the amount it was boosted, I really thought it would be simples. Not even the ghost of a signal.

Do you get the NIMM? At least that's a bit of compensation despite the geo blocking.

Do you get the NIMM? At least that's a bit of compensation despite the geo blocking.

Yes, I get that, but where a channel is going, I would prefer to get RTÉ Two HD. And TV3 for Vincent Brown. Annoys the bejaysus out of me that using the same box my sister gets the lot a few km away.

For now, I will continue to effectively access Saorview on my iPad and just beam it via Airplay to my big screen. A bit clunk-clink, but hey, it's free.

Yes, I get that, but where a channel is going, I would prefer to get RTÉ Two HD. And TV3 for Vincent Brown. Annoys the bejaysus out of me that using the same box my sister gets the lot a few km away.

For now, I will continue to effectively access Saorview on my iPad and just beam it via Airplay to my big screen. A bit clunk-clink, but hey, it's free.

Out of interest how big an aerial did the aerial rigger try? I was in Maplins today and saw a 91 element one on display.

Did you actually have an RTE aerial up before DSO ?

The best way to be absolutely sure is to see if there are any other RTE aerials in your street and check to see what the neighbours are getting.

I'm quite surprised you're not getting anything from C.C. considering the power increase and the other reports, especially in and around Belfast.

I know for a fact that RTE analogue was excellent in and around Drumbo for example, and that was long before they extended the mast at Clermont Cairn.

Out of interest how big an aerial did the aerial rigger try? I was in Maplins today and saw a 91 element one on display.

Not sure exactly, but the classic "RTÉ aerial" was tried and got nothing. An amplifier/booster was mentioned but really, this was bringing cost of installation up to 150GBP which is getting out of hand for a few extra channels that I can get for free on iPad and mirror to my TV.

Not sure exactly, but the classic "RTÉ aerial" was tried and got nothing. An amplifier/booster was mentioned but really, this was bringing cost of installation up to 150GBP which is getting out of hand for a few extra channels that I can get for free on iPad and mirror to my TV.

By classic "RTE areial" I presume you mean the one from most rooftops receiving here in NI probably the 16-18 element group C/D. I have a Triax 52 element with masthead amp and I guess this would maybe have done the job but would as you suggest bump the cost up.

Does anyone in your street have an RTE aerial ? That would at least tell you if Saorview reception is possible. If they don't then it's probably best to forget it and maybe have a go at Saorsat (TV3 and 3e are bound to come on eventually). At least RTE 2 would be in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I wouldn't bet on 3e /TV3. They NEVER ever met their analogue commitments and now have 20% better coverage at lower per channel cost.

They will only go on Saorsat if BCI forces them. Which would need legislation or possibley an SI signed by the Minister.

But since you have UTV and all the Freeview channels you are missing very little at all.

P.S.
    Maplin 91 Element? Fiction. It's unlikely to be more than 21. A pair of Blake SR18 will be better, cheaper and more robust.

Each POSITION on the boom is an element. Not each "spike".

Thus a triple boom to a single reflector aerial with 3 off >< shapes at each position, each position is ONE element, not 12!

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Does anyone in your street have an RTE aerial ? That would at least tell you if Saorview reception is possible. If they don't then it's probably best to forget it and maybe have a go at Saorsat (TV3 and 3e are bound to come on eventually). At least RTE 2 would be in the clear.

Somebody does, 4 doors up, but that short distance might be all it takes. The installer actually put the aerial up and we did multiple reinstalls. No go. At that point, I decided to cut my losses and got away with a 35GBP call-out charge. Saorsat an equally expensive option and simply not worth it. I'll stick with my iPad -Airplay option. It's really very good and I can manipulate the sound on RTÉ Two HD by applying DPxii giving fairly pleasing results.

• Advertisement

Somebody does, 4 doors up

Well, I'd check and see what sort of Saorview reception they have, that is if they've even bothered with it since the Sky service started.

I'd also check to see what type of aerial they're using, and have a look a bit further afield.

It could be you're in a black spot in which case Saorsat is the only other option.

Advertisement