Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Im living in Clonsilla, not too far from Lucan. No idea what time it happened but its about a 5metre section gone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Monday late afternoon and overnight still looking marginal low end of level one type winds, gusts might reach 55-60 kts or 110-120 km/hr at the usual coastal locations. Keeping an eye on things but each model run has been essentially the same with little variation from model to model. It might not hurt to change the thread title and give it a level one tag, unless we have a level 0.5, a title something like

Strong Wind Gusts Likely Monday pm to Tuesday am south and west coasts

and then this thread will probably expire with the month itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann just said now that winds will reach storm force in the West and South tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i dont see a fantasy island thread, so I just thought i would throw this up for the laugh :)

11th March - interesting!

gfs-0-372.png?18?18

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My current forecast for wind gust maximum values during the event arriving later today and lasting through part of Tuesday:

295723.jpg

Of course this map is smoothed and valid for places with fairly good or excellent exposure to the southwest. Some locations could be considerably lower for actual gusts recorded. Take half of these values as an approximation for knots instead of the depicted km/hr.

Timing will range from about 0400h in Kerry to 1200h in Mayo as the strongest winds will move north with the swerving track of the low.

This strikes me as being borderline level one in comparison to past events.

Rainfalls of 20-30 mm could hit a few places in the inland south, slight flooding potential exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A yellow wind warning from met Eireann issued at 1000 Wind Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    South to Southeast winds will reach mean speeds 45 to 65 km/hr, gusts to 80 or 90 km/hr this afternoon and evening in exposed regions.

Tonight and on Tuesday: Southerly winds veering Westerly will reach mean speeds 50 to 65 km/hr with gusts 90 to 100 km/hr. Highest values in exposed coastal regions of the south and west.
    Issued:
    Monday 24 February 2014 10:00

Valid:
    Monday 24 February 2014 12:00 to Tuesday 25 February 2014 18:00

Marine/Sea area Orange warning issued at 1300
    STATUS ORANGE

Gale Warning

South to Southeast gales or strong gales developing this afternoon and early evening on all Irish Coastal Waters and on the Irish Sea.

South to southwest winds may touch storm force at times tonight between Mizen Head and Slyne Head
    Issued:
    Monday 24 February 2014 13:00

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

The wind 'feels' a bit stronger than expected today at Cork Airport.. ;)
    Official speeds at 16:00h today:

CORK AIRPORT S 20 Gust 34
    Kinsale Energy 190 39 gust 46

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

? it looks like its raining where I am but it isn't, its still dry?
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I can't put up the ME radar but look at the dry "hole" over Dublin between 1800 and 1830.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Absolutely hoofing it down by me near Douglas. Miserable so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Persistent wind and rain here and its heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkeweather

There's a tree reported down on the Ballea Rd between Carrigaline and Ballygarvan for anyone who will be driving through the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

unrelentless rain since around 4.30pm here. its pelting down here. A level 9 i reckon.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-rain-scale-1275040-Jan2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Very windy near Arklow.. oh and very wet too.
    Rain started around 4.
    Gusting above Gale force,median a touch below mostly but noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Think I saw a flash of lightning in Tralee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Sleet and hail in the rain near Arklow now.
    Absolutely chucking it down.
    More snow for Lugnaquilla no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just had rain like something out of the Doomsday book here in Wexford, hail and sleet in it as well. The noise was incredible, sounded like shards of glass and needles being launched at the windows, thought they were going to cave in. Very quiet now and wind has abated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

52kts reported in Cobh at quarter past six. Savage rain squall and seriously cold biting wind for about 15mins but calm again now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Think I saw a flash of lightning in Tralee..

A few sparks on the SW coast alright. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Wet and as windy as many of the winter storms we had this winter here in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

when we get through this one is there a question mark over Thursday? Also Maq where are you, heard nothing from you today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Just had rain like something out of the Doomsday book here in Wexford, hail and sleet in it as well. The noise was incredible, sounded like shards of glass and needles being launched at the windows, thought they were going to cave in. Very quiet now and wind has abated.

Funny enough I saw somebody say the same thing on Facebook. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Going between Sligo and Galway today, haven't seen river levels as high since Nov 09.

Surely there willbe some serious damage if it rises further?

A 2336 update from Met....wouldn't rule out seeing a flash of lightning for those living near the west coast tonight

Windy and blustery overnight. Strong and gusty southerly winds will veer southwesterly and will give some severe gusts in coastal areas, especially in the Southwest. Heavy, thundery showers at times overnight in parts of the southwest, west and northwest with a risk of local spot flooding, showers will be more isolated further east. Lowest temperatures of 3 to 6 C.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday will be cool, blustery and showery, with some further severe gusts in exposed Atlantic coastal areas. There will be widespread heavy showers of rain or hail, with an going risk of spot flooding and thunder.
    Top temperatures of 7 to 9 C.

Outlook

Tuesday night will be cold and windy with further showers along Atlantic coasts, heavy at times, but the showers will be more isolated elsewhere with long clear periods. Sheltered parts may have a touch of ground frost.

Wednesday will bring sunny spells and some scattered showers with moderate to fresh Southwest winds. During the afternoon and evening, wet and windy weather will move Eastwards across the country with some heavy falls of rain likely.

The rain will clear overnight with a cool, showery blustery day following for Thursday.

The winds will ease on Thursday night and it looks like turning very cold and frosty with some mist and fog patches forming and the risk of some icy roads.

At the moment Friday looks like bringing a lot of dry bright weather with light winds and sunny spells but there is the risk of some rain clipping the Southeast.

A widespread frost will follow again on Friday night.

A gust of 50kts @ Mace Head on the 2300 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Was driving from dublin to cork this evening and encounterred some biblical wind and rain around 6pm on the stretch from cashel to fermoy. Trying to overtake trucks was deadly dangerous due to a combination of driving rain, spray from the trucks and the buffetting from the wind. Why some fools feel the need to do 120km/hr and more in those conditions is beyond me. Like russian roulette!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

A 2336 update from Met....wouldn't rule out seeing a flash of lightning for those living near the west coast tonight

There was a few booms of thunder anyway, have the curtains closed, power didn't blink. I'm off to sleep so it can flash and bang and blow all it wants I sure won't hear it :D

It's quite windy alright @ your mace head post. Heavy rain earlier but that seems to have gone for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Heavy wind and rain in Mayo atm , wildest yet IMHO. Thought the roof was coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy wind and rain in Mayo atm , wildest yet IMHO. Thought the roof was coming off.

Been pretty wet and wild in Castlebar for the last 2 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Seems to be calming down slightly in Achill now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

Starting to pick up now in west cork. Woke the baby for his night feed...hound

Advertisement