Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord blaming us for dampness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    So OP have you figured out you are the most likely cause of the damp problem and the LL is right?

I have property that only ever has had damp problems when a tenant moves in and amazingly goes when they leave. No matter how many times I explained that drying there clothes in the house was the problem the wouldn't believe me. Like the OP said they never dry clothes in the bedroom. They just couldn't understand that drying clothes elsewhere in the property could cause damp in the bedroom.
    When damp is an issue the most likely cause is the use of the property not construction.

I know you're probably going to ignore me, but you should get some vents installed there and maybe some insulation on that wall. It would make your life much easier not having to clean it up every year and have pissed off tenants.

When the tenant moves in they will bring two things with them. A increased level of moisture and heat, which leads to higher humidity within the apartment. That will happen no matter what. What you are doing is blaming your tenants for a inadequate system to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I have had this problem before and it has been the tenants' fault each and every time. How does a property without any damp problems for years suddenly have damp problems? If you were the LL and that happened what would you think the cause is?

Since when does everyone use driers for drying their clothes? what did we do before driers were common place? I for one never use the drier and always use a clothes horse / rads in a number of different houses. Have never had damp problems.

I can only conclude its a case of possibly poor construction mixed with improper tenant usage patterns.

Ray you say you only have a problem when someone moves into your house??? arent houses meant to be lived in??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Doop wrote: »
    Since when does everyone use driers for drying their clothes? what did we do before driers were common place? I for one never use the drier and always use a clothes horse / rads in a number of different houses. Have never had damp problems.

Yep absolutely. Driers aren't the best for clothes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you dry clothes in your house you are introducing moisture into the property which can cause mould. There is no way to dry clothes on a clothes horse in a property without increasing moisture in the property. Opening a window can actually cause more moisture laden air into your property especially in this country. The issue is adding moisture into the air. The one thing you can be sure of the LL isn't doing it.
    I have had this problem before and it has been the tenants' fault each and every time. How does a property without any damp problems for years suddenly have damp problems? If you were the LL and that happened what would you think the cause is?

I know of plenty of people, myself included, who dry clothes indoors without any issue. If you live in an apartments its impossible not to dry clothes indoors, and especially when you consider that most landlords cheap out on drying facilities and provide a washer/dryer combo which is next to useless for drying anything more than a pair of socks instead of providing a decent dedicated dryer.

Ventilate properly and drying clothes indoors should not be a problem. Opening windows should not make the issue worse (unless perhaps you live in a very foggy area...)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

djimi wrote: »
    I know of plenty of people, myself included, who dry clothes indoors without any issue. If you live in an apartments its impossible not to dry clothes indoors, and especially when you consider that most landlords cheap out on drying facilities and provide a washer/dryer combo which is next to useless for drying anything more than a pair of socks instead of providing a decent dedicated dryer.

Ventilate properly and drying clothes indoors should not be a problem. Opening windows should not make the issue worse (unless perhaps you live in a very foggy area...)

Agreed.

I've lived in my apt for over five years I always dry my clothes inside and rarely use the dryer.
    I don't have damp or mould issues here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I know you're probably going to ignore me, but you should get some vents installed there and maybe some insulation on that wall. It would make your life much easier not having to clean it up every year and have pissed off tenants.

When the tenant moves in they will bring two things with them. A increased level of moisture and heat, which leads to higher humidity within the apartment. That will happen no matter what. What you are doing is blaming your tenants for a inadequate system to deal with that.

There are vents, the properties are all insulated with double glazing. If tenants live in a place for years without any problem and a new tenant moves in and there are suddenly problems who do you think is at fault? They move out and the problem doesn't occur again when the next people move in. Then another new tenant moves in and there is a problem again. What would you think the cause is? It certainly isn't the property.

When you make a property more air tight and have to modern building codes introducing moisture causes damp. The reason it was not a problem before and with many older properties is because they have draughts and are not air tight. Putting double glazing in an old house can dramatically change the air tightness so can cause damp where lifestyle remains the same as if the ventilation was the same.

Read the link posted up and you see damp is generally cause by people's lifestyle. For example only heating it in the evening so the property goes hot and cold in cycles. Drying clothes inside, not using fans in kitchens or bathrooms, keeping plants, not opening windows.

I tell my tenants if I see damp, or clothes drying in the property I hold them responsible for any costs uncured. They have a tumble drier and outside space. Yet they still do it. Certainly wouldn't do it if they owned the place.

How many tenants keep the property warm enough to deal with the moisture they are adding to the property? From my experience they often leave cloth horses in the house while they are not heating the place and are out at work.

Don't see any reason for me being out of pocket for the tenants choice of living or saving money on using a dryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There are vents, the properties are all insulated with double glazing. If tenants live in a place for years without any problem and a new tenant moves in and there are suddenly problems who do you think is at fault? They move out and the problem doesn't occur again when the next people move in. Then another new tenant moves in and there is a problem again. What would you think the cause is? It certainly isn't the property.

When you make a property more air tight and have to modern building codes introducing moisture causes damp. The reason it was not a problem before and with many older properties is because they have draughts and are not air tight. Putting double glazing in an old house can dramatically change the air tightness so can cause damp where lifestyle remains the same as if the ventilation was the same.

Read the link posted up and you see damp is generally cause by people's lifestyle. For example only heating it in the evening so the property goes hot and cold in cycles. Drying clothes inside, not using fans in kitchens or bathrooms, keeping plants, not opening windows.

I tell my tenants if I see damp, or clothes drying in the property I hold them responsible for any costs uncured. They have a tumble drier and outside space. Yet they still do it. Certainly wouldn't do it if they owned the place.

How many tenants keep the property warm enough to deal with the moisture they are adding to the property? From my experience they often leave cloth horses in the house while they are not heating the place and are out at work.

Don't see any reason for me being out of pocket for the tenants choice of living or saving money on using a dryer.

I agree. If you have an energy efficient washer and dryer, it doesn't cost as much as people seem to think.

For some reason, some people seem to freak if you tell them you use a dryer in the winter months 'Oooh your electric bill will be HUGE!' But without a trace of irony tell you they can't live without their dishwasher, which is one conversation I've had with a friend. If you ask them how much it costs to dry a 7kg load of clothes, they have no idea...

I'd far rather use my dryer in the winter, than to have to waste even more money opening windows (thereby letting out the heat), and having waste time and money scrubbing the mould off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Imo damp problems are down to lousy building standards throughout the years, be it the old house with no insulation or the new house with no ventilation there is a reem of problems you can get in a wet country like ireland. Thing is its not an easy or cheap fix, so these problems will keep happening until building regulations have forced them to be fixed in long run.

Its made worse in tenant situations, because the majority will be working, so you get a cold unheated house most of the day, then a few hours of hot humid air, the fabric of the house will always be cold and receptive go condensation. The tenant isnt going to pay to heat the house all day either.

I do think in many of these cases people are unreasonable to tenants, people arent going to open the windows full tilt mid january to let out condensation and fill the room with cold air. People emit a few litres of moisture a day on there own accord, add clothes made damp by rain and shower use and you have a baseline moisture level. If the property you rent suddenly gets damp with every single tenant, well you have a building problem, the onlg real solution is a hefty investment in insulation

Op, i dont think the landlord has any right to your deposit, most you should do is use some mildew cleaner on your way out.

They would of course. I dont know of a single person in either a house or apartment who doesnt dry clothes indoors in winter. Most dont have mould issues either...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you dry clothes in your house you are introducing moisture into the property which can cause mould. There is no way to dry clothes on a clothes horse in a property without increasing moisture in the property. Opening a window can actually cause more moisture laden air into your property especially in this country. The issue is adding moisture into the air. The one thing you can be sure of the LL isn't doing it.

There is a way - use a dehumidifier.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    They would of course. I dont know of a single person in either a house or apartment who doesnt dry clothes indoors in winter. Most dont have mould issues either...
    People let their houses fill with mould? I don't think so. If you act the same way your mammy did to dry clothes in an old property in a modern house you will get damp. It isn't magic it is direct cause and effect. Most people stop once they see mould in their own house. In a rented property they blame the LL and property.

I don't dry my clothes in the house period. It isn't designed to deal with the moisture and it is that simple. Saying it is down to insulation in the property and therefore the LL problem is idiotic. If you don't add the moisture it isn't a problem. Everything about damp says remove the cause of extra moisture and it is the quickest easiest solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

People let their houses fill with mould? I don't think so. If you act the same way your mammy did to dry clothes in an old property in a modern house you will get damp. It isn't magic it is direct cause and effect. Most people stop once they see mould in their own house. In a rented property they blame the LL and property.

I don't dry my clothes in the house period. It isn't designed to deal with the moisture and it is that simple. Saying it is down to insulation in the property and therefore the LL problem is idiotic. If you don't add the moisture it isn't a problem. Everything about damp says remove the cause of extra moisture and it is the quickest easiest solution.

How do you deal with the moisture from cooking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

How do you deal with moisture from breathing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Doop wrote: »

I can only conclude its a case of possibly poor construction mixed with improper tenant usage patterns.

Ray you say you only have a problem when someone moves into your house??? arent houses meant to be lived in??
    years ago more people lived in draughty houses where moisture was quickly dispersed by the draughty doors ad windows and the sitting room fire was usually lit early in the winter months which dried up much of the moisture.

Now we have airtight apartment boxes where there is no through draught to sort out any condensation/moisture.

Getting back to the op's problem and the picture they supplied, That shows a situation where the moisture is seeping through the wall from outside, It is exactly the same as happened in a house we lived in years ago. the only solution is to re-plaster the outside wall.

Most landlords will do a patch up job on the inside of the wall when letting out a house then blame the tenant for the damp and try to keep the deposit which will usually pay for another patch up job.

Read what I wrote Ray.

I dry clothes in my house. Plenty of others that I know do so also (home owners and tenants). None of them have mould issues. Its not a problem unless you make it a problem by not ventilating. No amount of talk about insulation/new vs old build houses etc is going to make it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It is perfectly possible to dry clothes in a house on a clothes horse or similar without mould. We have done it for years now in a wide variety of rental properties. The clothes horse goes in the kitchen and the window gets opened.

In 7/8 different houses there has only been one place with mould issues-the current one. The mould forms along the seals/windowsill of the upstairs bedroom window. There is a vent in the room, the window is permanently open but it comes still. There was an obvious pattern of mould from the previous tenant too. However the rest of the house/windows are fine so I'm confident that it is a fault with the window itself. It's not a big deal, we watch it and clean it off regularly.

Also unusually enough this would be one of the oldest places we've lived in, not the best sealed or modern built yet it is the one with mould

There are situations where the tenant is responsible. There are situations where the accommodation is responsible.

A good landlord will look at the situation and check for any building issues before jumping to the conclusion that it must be the tenants fault. It may be, or maybe a crack has formed etc etc.

Everyone's trying to be little too black and white on this thread

OP realistically you know yourself if you are or are not a contributing factor in mould build up. Work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I know what I'd be telling you if you were my landlord.

I live in an apartment with one other. We aren't there during the day so no heat on there. All our drying is done either on radiators or clothes horse. None in the dryer combo that is there. No damp at all.

petes wrote: »
    I know what I'd be telling you if you were my landlord.

I live in an apartment with one other. We aren't there during the day so no heat on there. All our drying is done either on radiators or clothes horse. None in the dryer combo that is there. No damp at all.

You would be breaking the contract. I inform them before signing that there is no drying clothes in my property like this. It is in the lease and I point it out. Don't like it don't take it. My property is far superior to properties in the areas with me spending roughly 20k each year on doing them up.

People constantly complain about LL not upgrading property but I am not one of them. I am protecting my investment and the tenant ultimately benefits. If you cause damage I will pursue you to pay for it.

The longest I have had a vacant property in 15 years of 5 properties is a weeks in one place and we were gutting it. Must be doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DataHoover

A landlord here ...

When we lived in our house we found the main bedroom to be very damp and mould started growing on ceiling, walls, furniture. It is a corner room that is most exposed to the elements - 2 walls. It is also the room where any wayward kitchen or bathroom steam ends up (there's always a room for that apparently).

What we did …

1. We pulled up the drainage outside to find that it never lead anywhere (just plastic stuffed into end of pipe!). We fixed that - had a drainage hole dug and filled with rubble, etc - extended the pipes so the rain water could drain away from the house - cemented the pathway around that side of the house (it was just paved loosely before) - the wall was sealed on the outside at the same time.

2. We also sealed the ceiling and repainted the walls and ceiling in the bedroom. Made sure the vents were clear.

3. We also had the floor leveled and sealed - seems it had sunk, possibly from the damp under the house (or was never level to start).

4. We insulated the attic.

5. We kept the gutters and shores clean and the room well dusted and hoovered. I even mopped up the condensation on/around the window occasionally. We also placed a silica gel pack in the corner and replaced it regularly.

What we didn't do …

1. We didn't get the wall cavity filled with that new insulation. (There is currently the styrofoam insulation in the wall).

2. We didn't replace the windows with the new triple glazing (it is currently double).

The house has now been let for almost 2 years and the damp is worse than ever. We did warn the tenants that the room is damp and needs managing by opening of windows when possible. They did use an electric dehumidifier and have opened windows regularly.

What now? Do we spend money on cavity insulation and new windows?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp01.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp02.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp03.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp04.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp05.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp06.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp07.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp08.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp09.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Similar issue in my place relating to mould.

I would be expecting a full blown argument if the landlord makes any issue of it being my fault.

The "vent" in the room, was someone with a flathead screwdriver and hammer, who busted a random hole in the wall, and put a vent over it. The hole crept around the vent and essentially massive drafts would come into the bedroom, howling winds. Gave it three nights before I was waking up shivering and sneezing all over the place. Stuffed the hole with old towels and newspaper and got a bigger vent to cover it up.

The window frames on the apartment are wooden and were never maintained. We wake up every morning to massive condensation and pools of water on the windowsill. Mould inevitably then arrives. We clean it down and scrub, but at the end of the day I'm not taking ownership for it. I do plenty of things in the apartment for maintenance, but I'm not filling and cutting a proper ventilation hole in the wall, and I'm not sanding and properly maintaining the windows.

I'm being honest and up front with the landlord relating to the issue, but there will be bloody murder if he anything more comes from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

DataHoover wrote: »
    A landlord here ...

When we lived in our house we found the main bedroom to be very damp and mould started growing on ceiling, walls, furniture. It is a corner room that is most exposed to the elements - 2 walls. It is also the room where any wayward kitchen or bathroom steam ends up (there's always a room for that apparently).

What we did …

1. We pulled up the drainage outside to find that it never lead anywhere (just plastic stuffed into end of pipe!). We fixed that - had a drainage hole dug and filled with rubble, etc - extended the pipes so the rain water could drain away from the house - cemented the pathway around that side of the house (it was just paved loosely before) - the wall was sealed on the outside at the same time.

2. We also sealed the ceiling and repainted the walls and ceiling in the bedroom. Made sure the vents were clear.

3. We also had the floor leveled and sealed - seems it had sunk, possibly from the damp under the house (or was never level to start).

4. We insulated the attic.

5. We kept the gutters and shores clean and the room well dusted and hoovered. I even mopped up the condensation on/around the window occasionally. We also placed a silica gel pack in the corner and replaced it regularly.

What we didn't do …

1. We didn't get the wall cavity filled with that new insulation. (There is currently the styrofoam insulation in the wall).

2. We didn't replace the windows with the new triple glazing (it is currently double).

The house has now been let for almost 2 years and the damp is worse than ever. We did warn the tenants that the room is damp and needs managing by opening of windows when possible. They did use an electric dehumidifier and have opened windows regularly.

What now? Do we spend money on cavity insulation and new windows?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp01.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp02.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp03.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp04.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp05.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp06.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp07.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp08.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp09.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1959120/damp10.jpg

I don't know know where you are based but if in dublin you could ring "the damp store" the quoted me €50 to come out to view a house I was looking to buy 2 years ago. They are meant to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You would be breaking the contract. I inform them before signing that there is no drying clothes in my property like this. It is in the lease and I point it out. Don't like it don't take it. My property is far superior to properties in the areas with me spending roughly 20k each year on doing them up.

People constantly complain about LL not upgrading property but I am not one of them. I am protecting my investment and the tenant ultimately benefits. If you cause damage I will pursue you to pay for it.

The longest I have had a vacant property in 15 years of 5 properties is a weeks in one place and we were gutting it. Must be doing something right

I'm not sure why so many people want to argue about it....but Ray is right.

Drying clothes is a common (but not the only) cause of mold in the home. I'll also say that the last two tumble dryers I've had while renting have not been vented properly. So they aren't any better afaik.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/mold-causes.html
    Drying your clothes in a dryer instead of outside on the line releases a large amount of moisture into your home if the drier is not vented outside the house. Clothes drying inside on indoor clothes lines or racks will also create a build up of moisture inside unless the room is well ventilated.

That site isn't specific to Ireland - but the thing is, Ireland has a very damp climate. So, even if you have ventilation, even if you open up the windows, you aren't necessarily reducing moisture - you might be increasing it.

Insulation is pretty much the exact opposite of ventilation. A well insulated house will be more likely to have a mold problem due to internal sources like drying of wet clothes than poorly insulated ones. Now a poorly insulated window or a leaky roof or something that will allow moisture from the outside to get in is another potential source of mold....if you have a poorly insulated window and you see mold around the window - yes - a better window would probably fix that.

Whether or not you have a mold problem depends on a lot of factors but drying clothes indoors (which is really common in Ireland) combined with the climate here, means you are more likely to have problems.

A dehumidifier would (probably) take care of any clothes drying problems, but they aren't exactly cheap and use a bit of electricity to run. You also need to get an appropriately sized one for the space you intend to dehumidify....but it won't do too much if the source is external.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DataHoover

Millem wrote: »
    I don't know know where you are based but if in dublin you could ring "the damp store" the quoted me €50 to come out to view a house I was looking to buy 2 years ago. They are meant to be very good.

Thanks, I've requested a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

UCDVet wrote: »
    but the thing is, Ireland has a very damp climate. So, even if you have ventilation, even if you open up the windows, you aren't necessarily reducing moisture - you might be increasing it.

This is not true during the heating season (late autumn, winter, early spring).
    UCDVet wrote: »
    Insulation is pretty much the exact opposite of ventilation. A well insulated house will be more likely to have a mold problem due to internal sources like drying of wet clothes than poorly insulated ones. Now a poorly insulated window or a leaky roof or something that will allow moisture from the outside to get in is another potential source of mold....if you have a poorly insulated window and you see mold around the window - yes - a better window would probably fix that.

I think you might be confusing "insulation / insulated" with "air sealing / sealed" here.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    This is not true during the heating season (late autumn, winter, early spring). .

What happens when you open a window in a warm room to the cold outside? The cold air comes in with all the moisture in it. So he is right. If you don't open the window the moisture in clothes drying will build up inside and condense on the coldest surfaces in the property.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing "insulation / insulated" with "air sealing / sealed" here.
    As part of putting in improved insulation you will close many additional "ventilation" gaps. So you will notice a difference as the house is much better sealed than previously. If you don't change you moisture adding habits you will end up with mould.

This is from actual expert knowledge as a civil engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Millem wrote: »

Folks, if your house is damp (or even if not showing signs), from research I'd recommend a Ruby Dry dehumidifier. Its on my shopping list. Google it. It works at low temps ie. unheated temps. So its ideal for our climate. No one, except the richest, can afford to keep all rooms heated to 20c+ so that a standard refrigerant dehumidifier can work effectively. Instead, for Ireland and Britain, we need a dessicant-based one https://www.google.ie/search?client=opera&q=ruby+dry+dehumidifier&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Smart landlords will buy them for good tenants and smart tenants will buy one for themselves and bring it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What happens when you open a window in a warm room to the cold outside? The cold air comes in with all the moisture in it. So he is right. If you don't open the window the moisture in clothes drying will build up inside and condense on the coldest surfaces in the property.

What happens when you open a window in a warm room to the cold outside is the cold air comes in and the warm air goes out. While the cold air will obviously have some moisture in it, the warmer internal air expelled will have much more moisture (think multiples). Therefore, replacing the warm air with cold air will reduce the moisture concentration of the internal air over time. This, after all, is the basis of why ventilation is needed in buildings.
    UCDVet more or less said that because of our "damp" climate, the external air can be wetter than the internal air. This is the "fact" I questioned.
    As part of putting in improved insulation you will close many additional "ventilation" gaps. So you will notice a difference as the house is much better sealed than previously. If you don't change you moisture adding habits you will end up with mould.
    True, but I don't think this is what UCDVet had in mind when he/she was talking about insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Folks, if your house is damp (or even if not showing signs), from research I'd recommend a Ruby Dry dehumidifier. Its on my shopping list. Google it. It works at low temps ie. unheated temps. So its ideal for our climate. No one, except the richest, can afford to keep all rooms heated to 20c+ so that a standard refrigerant dehumidifier can work effectively. Instead, for Ireland and Britain, we need a dessicant-based one https://www.google.ie/search?client=opera&q=ruby+dry+dehumidifier&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Smart landlords will buy them for good tenants and smart tenants will buy one for themselves and bring it with them.

I have a Mitsubishi dehumidifier and it works well below 20º. If a refrigerant dehumidifier didn't work at low temperatures then turning the aircon on in a car to demist the windscreen wouldn't work in winter, but it works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TheDoc wrote: »
    Similar issue in my place relating to mould.

I would be expecting a full blown argument if the landlord makes any issue of it being my fault.

The "vent" in the room, was someone with a flathead screwdriver and hammer, who busted a random hole in the wall, and put a vent over it. The hole crept around the vent and essentially massive drafts would come into the bedroom, howling winds. Gave it three nights before I was waking up shivering and sneezing all over the place. Stuffed the hole with old towels and newspaper and got a bigger vent to cover it up.

The window frames on the apartment are wooden and were never maintained. We wake up every morning to massive condensation and pools of water on the windowsill. Mould inevitably then arrives. We clean it down and scrub, but at the end of the day I'm not taking ownership for it. I do plenty of things in the apartment for maintenance, but I'm not filling and cutting a proper ventilation hole in the wall, and I'm not sanding and properly maintaining the windows.

I'm being honest and up front with the landlord relating to the issue, but there will be bloody murder if he anything more comes from it.
    So you've blocked the air vent. Do you then properly air the room every day? (windows wide open for several minutes, even in winter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

murphaph wrote: »
    So you've blocked the air vent. Do you then properly air the room every day? (windows wide open for several minutes, even in winter)

Would several minutes be enough?

(Trying to persuade my partner to ventilate more!)

Advertisement