Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord blaming us for dampness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Tis amazing that someone can diagnose a fault by just looking at a pic without knowing anything about the construction make-up

I once had a tenant that robbed the hose out the back of a dryer... the next tenant carried on unknowingly drying clothes in the dryer for 6 months. It was like a rainforest in the house... tenant never mentioned any issue until it was time to exchange keys/deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just don't pay the last months rent and tell her to take it out of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

That is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

moonshadow wrote: »
    That is theft.

How is it theft??

The deposit is a security deposit. Against damage to the property and unpaid rent. Most PRTB cases are landlords withholding deposits. THAT is theft. The landlord has money on account. You allocate that to rent. That is payment for a service. Theft is taking something for free.

It is the tenants money held on trust. NOT the landlords money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How is it theft??

The deposit is a security deposit. Against damage to the property and unpaid rent. Most PRTB cases are landlords withholding deposits. THAT is theft. The landlord has money on account. You allocate that to rent. That is payment for a service. Theft is taking something for free.

It is the tenants money held on trust. NOT the landlords money.
    To be returned AFTER the property is vacated in proper order and damage free. In this case there IS damage and the cause is NOT clear. The tenant may be responsible for this damage and you are advocating that he skip town without paying to remedy it. There may be other damage also, we don't know.

What happens when a tenant uses the deposit for the rent and there is damage present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

For those saying its not the OPs fault, that's rubbish. You have no solid evidence to support that! As someone has pointed out, a window is ventilation - so long as someone opens the ruddy thing!
    Again, as someone has already mentioned, inadequate heating may have a part to play.

If you're moving out, then I don't think it makes sense to pay a surveyor to check it out. Scrub very very lightly with bleach. End of story - regardless of where the problem lies.
    I have said many times that the window was opened daily during the summer and the dampness was still there to the same extent. I do open my window during the winter but not leave it open for hours on end like I did in the summer. I think by looking at the crack along I can tell that the dampness is due to the building itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Please spend 3 minutes reading this link it will save you spending money on an engineer to tell you the very same thing.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublications/LiteratureLibrary/HomeownerDocuments/filedownload,31929,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

moonshadow wrote: »
    A window is a vent.

No it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Assuming she opens the windows occasionally there is no way that you could get that much mould over such a large area. You can clearly see its been cleaned as well. The mould and damp also comes in quite far on what I assume is the top of a inside wall. In a case like that I would first look at water ingress from external, maybe a blocked balcony drain above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

My mother had similar dampness in her bedroom and it turned out there was a leak in the roof, over her bedroom. The leak was sorted and the dampness hasn't returned since, that was about 1.5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The landlord will then be able to take a case against the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

sdowling04 wrote: »
    We never dry anything in our rooms anyway. Im not really bothered about getting the room ventilated as we are moving out, we are just concerned about getting our deposit back. Spending 200-300 on a building surveyor seems a very expensive as this is not our fault and I dont see why we would have to cough up for something that is not our fault.

The issue could be caused from guttering on the outside wall. We checked the feel of the outside wall compared to the inside wall and the outside wall is way colder and wet.

You need to clean the house anyway to get your deposit back. Some hot water and bleach or any cleaning products will take off the mould. It will come back but that's not your problem.

Blingy wrote: »
    You need to clean the house anyway to get your deposit back. Some hot water and bleach or any cleaning products will take off the mould. It will come back but that's not your problem.
    Ya we have hired a professional cleaner and the house is spotless, just got mold remover and will clean the walls and the kitchen before out meeting at 8:30

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Please do not encourage that behaviour here, it is a breach of the tenants obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So OP have you figured out you are the most likely cause of the damp problem and the LL is right?

I have property that only ever has had damp problems when a tenant moves in and amazingly goes when they leave. No matter how many times I explained that drying there clothes in the house was the problem the wouldn't believe me. Like the OP said they never dry clothes in the bedroom. They just couldn't understand that drying clothes elsewhere in the property could cause damp in the bedroom.
    When damp is an issue the most likely cause is the use of the property not construction.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    So OP have you figured out you are the most likely cause of the damp problem and the LL is right?

I have property that only ever has had damp problems when a tenant moves in and amazingly goes when they leave. No matter how many times I explained that drying there clothes in the house was the problem the wouldn't believe me. Like the OP said they never dry clothes in the bedroom. They just couldn't understand that drying clothes elsewhere in the property could cause damp in the bedroom.
    When damp is an issue the most likely cause is the use of the property not construction.
    Like I said before, not my house...not my problem.

We never dry our stuff in the room and we do leave windows open so I don't need to pay a building surveyor 3-400Eur to tell me that its the property's fault. All I know is I have bought the mold remover and I'm going to try and remove the mold before she comes over tonight. If it doesn't go away then we are gonna have a problem and shes not going to take most of our deposit like I expect her to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

All I know is I have bought the mold remover and I'm going to try and remove the mold before she comes over tonight. If it doesn't go away then we are gonna have a problem and shes not going to take most of our deposit like I expect her to.

Just bear in mind that mould remover stinks to high heaven, and if youre trying to use it to cover up a mould problem then its going to be very obvious unless you can leave several hour to air the room for the smell to go away.

We never dry our stuff in the room and we do leave windows open so I don't need to pay a building surveyor 3-400Eur to tell me that its the property's fault. All I know is I have bought the mold remover and I'm going to try and remove the mold before she comes over tonight. If it doesn't go away then we are gonna have a problem and shes not going to take most of our deposit like I expect her to.

Are you drying clothes inside? If the landlord can prove you are at fault then it definitely is your problem. Get rid of the mold as you mentioned and ensure you aren't drying anything inside. In fairness you had a towel on a rad when she was around so its not unreasonable for her to think you are drying clothes inside all the time.

djimi wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that mould remover stinks to high heaven, and if youre trying to use it to cover up a mould problem then its going to be very obvious unless you can leave several hour to air the room for the smell to go away.

Ya I got the one with no chlorine in it its not meant to stink the place up. but we obviously will open up windows too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What a fabulous attitude, sure I'll just wreck the place and someone else can pay for it. :rolleyes:

I've seen damage like that from both condensation problems, and from an exterior leak. Condensation would usually be evident as well from things like fogging of the windows.

• Advertisement

Are you drying clothes inside? If the landlord can prove you are at fault then it definitely is your problem. Get rid of the mold as you mentioned and ensure you aren't drying anything inside. In fairness you had a towel on a rad when she was around so its not unreasonable for her to think you are drying clothes inside all the time.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

yes I know I had a towel on the rad during the inspection but that was because the towel rad was full up and I hardly wasn't going to leave it on the floor/bed...ect

Just because you don't own the property doesn't mean it is not your problem or your fault. I have pointed out not drying your clothes in the bedroom means nothing if you are drying cloths in the house.
    You don't need a surveyor's report to say you are the cause if you are drying clothes in the property. If you are doing this you are the cause of the problem. You are literally spraying 3 litre of water on the wall every time you dry clothes in the property.
    If the bedroom is the colder room in the property the moisture will condense on the wall in there. The LL isn't doing this you are.

Just because you don't own the property doesn't mean it is not your problem or your fault. I have pointed out not drying your clothes in the bedroom means nothing if you are drying cloths in the house.
    You don't need a surveyor's report to say you are the cause if you are drying clothes in the property. If you are doing this you are the cause of the problem. You are literally spraying 3 litre of water on the wall every time you dry clothes in the property.
    If the bedroom is the colder room in the property the moisture will condense on the wall in there. The LL isn't doing this you are.
    No we have only dried clothes in the house for about five days in the two years staying there. That was when the drier broke about one month ago and we informed the landlord and when the drier was replaced we went back to using the drier/washing line(in the summer). Even so we had the mold problem ages before that.

op just so that you know in the future, those towel holder radiators in bathrooms are not designed for drying wet or recently washed towels. they are just for warming towels before use. if there is a dryer provided for clothes that must be used for all towels also.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

yes I know I had a towel on the rad during the inspection but that was because the towel rad was full up and I hardly wasn't going to leave it on the floor/bed...ect

I know you said you didnt dry stuff on the rads but you also said you had towels on towel rads.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    op just so that you know in the future, those towel holder radiators in bathrooms are not designed for drying wet or recently washed towels. they are just for warming towels before use. if there is a dryer provided for clothes that must be used for all towels also.

I know we obviously don't put them from the washing machine straight to the towel rad. We put them there after washing our face and other things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Lets not exaggerate here. Its perfectly possible to dry clothes indoors if you are sensible about it and open some windows to allow for ventilation. Drying clothes indoors is not the issue; the issue is not allowing the moisture a means to escape.

I know we obviously don't put them from the washing machine straight to the towel rad. We put them there after washing our face and other things

thanks for clarifying that. so there was no drying of towels or clothes then. is there a lot of condensation generally on the windows or is there mould or damp areas anywhere else in the property?

djimi wrote: »
    Lets not exaggerate here. Its perfectly possible to dry clothes indoors if you are sensible about it and open some windows to allow for ventilation. Drying clothes indoors is not the issue; the issue is not allowing the moisture a means to escape.

If you dry clothes in your house you are introducing moisture into the property which can cause mould. There is no way to dry clothes on a clothes horse in a property without increasing moisture in the property. Opening a window can actually cause more moisture laden air into your property especially in this country. The issue is adding moisture into the air. The one thing you can be sure of the LL isn't doing it.
    I have had this problem before and it has been the tenants' fault each and every time. How does a property without any damp problems for years suddenly have damp problems? If you were the LL and that happened what would you think the cause is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

If you dry clothes in your house you are introducing moisture into the property which can cause mould. There is no way to dry clothes on a clothes horse in a property without increasing moisture in the property. Opening a window can actually cause more moisture laden air into your property especially in this country. The issue is adding moisture into the air. The one thing you can be sure of the LL isn't doing it.
    I have had this problem before and it has been the tenants' fault each and every time. How does a property without any damp problems for years suddenly have damp problems? If you were the LL and that happened what would you think the cause is?

I know in my case it's the lack of dryer that the Landlord is refusing to buy for the apt.

Advertisement