Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Freight train's picking up momentum now... Heavy rain from WNW, still blustery, but becoming more sustained. Lights flickering, so could be last update from Eyeries (Beara, West Cork)?

Just get it rebuilt for our trips down there from Macroom over the summer. We enjoy driving through Eyeries on our way to Allihies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

weisses wrote: »
    Wind really picking up here ...scary gusts from w/nw and its only the beginning ..

Massive spray from the waves in Ventry ... proper storm

take care down there lads, the predictions for Dingle and south Iveragh and Beara look very bad, structural damage is no joke or fun!

sunny and calm in Galway City now after a shower...........

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nothing too dramatic on the 11am reports. It's the next two that will be really interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Thanks MT Cranium- Much appreciated your reply and advice-

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just wondering is the ME 'Status Yellow' warning for the east coast/Dublin a bit light?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Force 12 ( 64 Knts) sustained winds now at Kinsale Energy. ie Hurricane force Winds

http://www.met.ie/images/marine-map-11.png for Platform location.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

hoodwinked wrote: »
    roof slates are coming off and landing in the garden up here :( in Douglas cork....
    It's uncanny how similar the satellite image is right now compared to the one from Christmas Eve 1997.

Quoting these two posts as I remember listening to the radio and hearting of slates coming off roofs in Cork for that Christmas eve storm.
    Then to read maquiladora's post...

Highest recorded gust here in N Kilkenny is 80.5km/hr with a highest sustained at 45.8km/hr at a 4 metre elevation for the wind equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Kinsale Gas rig reporting near hurricane force sustained winds at 64kts gusting 76kts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Mini tornado being reported by the AA in roscommon, extensive damage to cars and houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Considering most on here consider 50-100km/h gusts violent and extreme, god help some of them in a short time when even bigger winds arrive to many areas in the SW and S in the coming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I remember that storm in '97. The local medical centre was being built and all the hoardings blew down going through windscreens and people's windows along the street.Power was out in many areas for days.Ended up having drinks by candlelight in the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

@radiokerrynews: RT @ESBNetworks: Met Éireann are warning of gust of 130 to 160 Kph in #Cork #Kerry this is Force 12 on the Beaufort scale & described as HURRICANE #staysafe

RobertKK wrote: »
    Quoting these two posts as I remember listening to the radio and hearting of slates coming off roofs in Cork for that Christmas eve storm.
    Then to read maquiladora's post...

Highest recorded gust here in N Kilkenny is 80.5km/hr with a highest sustained at 45.8km/hr at a 4 metre elevation for the wind equipment.

Hopefully it won't be as bad. The strongest winds should be around 3-5pm where you are, but we'll know before then how strong the winds will be.

Looks like a tail off kerry coast on latest rainfall radar at 11.15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what time is due to end in cork? its all quiet at the moment and blue sky and sun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Mini tornado being reported by the AA in roscommon, extensive damage to cars and houses.

https://twitter.com/ciaranmullooly/status/433560917880881152

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

what time is due to end in cork? its all quiet at the moment and blue sky and sun?

Worst is yet to come unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When does the good stuff start, been boring since around 9

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I know I will get bashed here but I think Met Eireann called this very wrong this time, it was flagged here last week as was this Fridays storm, yet on the weather for the week ahead last Sunday we were told no storms to worry about, then only going red at midnight last night, its not good enough given how many people are going to get caught out by this monster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Wind picking back up a bit here again in Laois, sun still shining away. Clear blue skies if you look at the right angle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭weisses

Structural damage here ... Just saw the wind take down a big barn ... Unreal hope everyone is okay

Seen nothing like it in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Not much stirring in Limerick city, after some early activity (around 9am). Been quiet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's been howling and sheeting rain all morning here in Stepaside.... gone REALLY eerily quiet now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Heavy rain and a bit of a stiff breeze here in Carlow

Latest ME updates mentions "extreme gusts likely in many areas". Very rare to see that kind of wording. I think we'll see updated warnings after the reports from the southwest come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chicken1 wrote: »
    I know I will get bashed here but I think Met Eireann called this very wrong this time, it was flagged here last week as was this Fridays storm, yet on the weather for the week ahead last Sunday we were told no storms to worry about, then only going red at midnight last night, its not good enough given how many people are going to get caught out by this monster.

The warning came very late,today I've talked to several people who seem to think the weather alert is for snow,already in Wexford the winds are stronger & more sustained than what we've had previously & the worst is yet to come.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

After a lull for a while winds have picked up again here in Waterford City. Max gust from the front was 85km/h and in the last half hour 83km/h. Thankfully the anemometer is working fine again after a spell of craziness earlier. ;)

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Its scary in Dingle town. Power still on but flicking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Lots of flights diverting from Cork to Shannon today folks

Advertisement