Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

mailburner wrote: »
    took him at 66s as I just had no idea who to back
    available at 90s in a place now

went with steele in the other one at 66s and hes now
    available at 80s in a few places

I wont be touching golfers on a tuesday again in a hurry

yeah I actually backed him again today @80/1 in boyles today,very strange players mid field drifting,i watch the prices like a hawk and firms are more than happy cutting all the players in the top half and then pushing out a token few.

On Carlsson the only reason he's drifting(imo) is because they've had rain over there so course will be a lot earsier than recent years,Carlsson is great tee to green but with the course so wet it favours the big hitters who can be wild at times.

The more I think about it Charl might have been the bet,i know it's obvious but chances are he'll be there come Sunday.

A bit like pebble beach,i'm backing a few outsiders but Jimmy Walker who won for me a few weeks ago will be carrying the burden of my cash this week.

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Out of curioristy does anyone have any useful tips for researching golf bets ? What sites to people on here use ? Love backing and watching golf but would know virtually nothing about course form, stats, etc so most of my bets are just copying people that post on here.
    mostly pgatour.com,what I would also recommend is after a tournament is do what I call reverse research to see what stats add up with players yearly stats,what were his results on that course over the past 5-10 years etc.

What you will find quite often is players with average course form,stats from the winning week far better than their yearly stats especially putting.

So what I'm saying is it's bloddy hard and anyone who tells you anything different is talking ......
    To win on the pga tour you need to put amazing,so as much as you can check stats if the flat stick isn't behaving you may forget about it.

What you can find is there is a certain type of player than win on certain courses, research the different tournaments on tour.This will take time,people on here have been backing for years and if I asked the lads here pick out a couple of players for (my fav course)Harbour Town links they would list all the accurate good ball striking players like Donald,Furyk,Weekly,Johnston.
    Likewise some course especially towards the end of the year in Florida are easy and wide open,in this case you need bombers who can also putt well.

If you're beginning what I might suggest is look at the stats from last year,pick a stat for e.g GIR,and study all the players up near the top of the list,then when a course demands lots of greens hit those players should be concentrated on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭bradlente

Jo'burg
    Otto
    Warren
    M Carlsson
    Molinari

Atnt
    G Mac
    Sneds
    Aphibarnrat
    Baddeley
    Hoffman
    Mcgirt
    Bvp

Small ew double of Schwartzel and Speith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

bradlente wrote: »
    Manley with Betfair or did he move in?Stan James?

hey mate manley was 200/1 with 2 books from what i remember one of them was betfred, think other might have been totesport

• Advertisement

Just added Chris Kirk win only 33/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭bradlente

manafana wrote: »
    hey mate manley was 200/1 with 2 books from what i remember one of them was betfred, think other might have been totesport

Hes came in a bit since then anyway got yourself a bit of value there.

for those backing G-mac al the best but I can't bring myself to back him,i sometimes look at his swing in detail and I wonder how he manages to send the ball in it's intended direction.

That's not to mention the odd g-mac in third person reference and that accent and those cardies..............ok,ok I just don't like the chap.

same for me cant have g mac off 2month lay off

value this week from PGA:

Justin Hicks 125/1 Betfred- 12th here last year, has played every week of the season so far so is keen. 2nd in GIR and improved his score in each of the four rounds last week.

Aaron Baddeley 100/1 Winner- 4th 6th and 12th the best three years despite some what of a quiet few years on tour for him. Putting has been good so that could prove key this week.

pro am picks in full

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

I'm on my phone so can't answer all. I use my own spreadsheets and us software from mate for backing and laying players who will likely drop before ball is hit.(I don't post these here as be too much after timing)

site I use a lot is pgatour.com go to stats and you can pick up all you like there.

ill throw up few others in few days or can send them by PM if like.

on phone so can't link

Yeah thanks man that would be great would really appreciate any help i can get ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

mostly pgatour.com,what I would also recommend is after a tournament is do what I call reverse research to see what stats add up with players yearly stats,what were his results on that course over the past 5-10 years etc.

What you will find quite often is players with average course form,stats from the winning week far better than their yearly stats especially putting.

So what I'm saying is it's bloddy hard and anyone who tells you anything different is talking ......
    To win on the pga tour you need to put amazing,so as much as you can check stats if the flat stick isn't behaving you may forget about it.

What you can find is there is a certain type of player than win on certain courses, research the different tournaments on tour.This will take time,people on here have been backing for years and if I asked the lads here pick out a couple of players for (my fav course)Harbour Town links they would list all the accurate good ball striking players like Donald,Furyk,Weekly,Johnston.
    Likewise some course especially towards the end of the year in Florida are easy and wide open,in this case you need bombers who can also putt well.

If you're beginning what I might suggest is look at the stats from last year,pick a stat for e.g GIR,and study all the players up near the top of the list,then when a course demands lots of greens hit those players should be concentrated on.

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a go next week. I have no doubt its tough and tbh I usually accept the fact that the money i put in likely isint going to be seen again. I'd be happy with a golfer in the mix for a bit of interest on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

regarding g-mac its all about what i percieve as being value for me 40/1 fir a player if g-mac quality with his course form and the fact that this is the type of course he should be suited to does enough for me to get involved but if he had of been 28/1 he would have been short enough for me to easily overlook.
    The fact that he is coming back from a break is something i considered but looking back on things he appears to go well enough fresh so didnt hold it against him. Id much rather take 40s on him than 12s on day who has only 1 pga win to his name!

Regarding his swing i am not knowledgable enough to know if its good bad or indifferent i can barely figure out why my own swing has a mind of its own.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am

Dustin Johnson @ 14/1
    Jordan Speith @ 20/1
    Retief Goosen 150/1
    Davis Love III @ 250/1

redzerdrog wrote: »
    regarding g-mac its all about what i percieve as being value for me 40/1 fir a player if g-mac quality with his course form and the fact that this is the type of course he should be suited to does enough for me to get involved but if he had of been 28/1 he would have been short enough for me to easily overlook.
    The fact that he is coming back from a break is something i considered but looking back on things he appears to go well enough fresh so didnt hold it against him. Id much rather take 40s on him than 12s on day who has only 1 pga win to his name!

Regarding his swing i am not knowledgable enough to know if its good bad or indifferent i can barely figure out why my own swing has a mind of its own.

I was just saying I can't bring myself to backing him,that's all,fair play to him,he's made a great career for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I'm hearing the weather is fairly bad over there today - wet, cold and windy so that should suit Gmac also.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I'm hearing the weather is fairly bad over there today - wet, cold and windy so that should suit Gmac also.

was the start put back?thought they were teeing off @3pm our time

I don't think so. First outs are at 8am which is 4pm our time. I think some limited live coverage on PGA.com from 5pm.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I don't think so. First outs are at 8am which is 4pm our time. I think some limited live coverage on PGA.com from 5pm.

just suspended,on the 10th in PB the boys were only hitting it average 210 yards,that's a stiff breeze

just suspended,on the 10th in PB the boys were only hitting it average 210 yards,that's a stiff breeze

Yeah I was just watching it there - looks horrid!! Play supposed to resume at 6pm our time but probably won't as there was a lot of water on the greens and it's still raining hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Out of curioristy does anyone have any useful tips for researching golf bets ? What sites to people on here use ? Love backing and watching golf but would know virtually nothing about course form, stats, etc so most of my bets are just copying people that post on here.

Personally I keep a lot of spreadsheets on research and past tournaments. I tend to look at past form in the tournament/course and try to read up as much on the course and its layout as possible. Look at pgatour.com for full stats on players. Golf Channel is also worth a read for a few articles.

As many others have said try to find a pattern in past events, course suits long hitters or there are small greens so GIR or distance from the pin are key. I tend to look for previous course form - especially those with good recent form - and also players on good form with little track record who's key stats may suit the course.

Once you spend a bit of time researching and build up a bit of knowledge you'll see that certain courses suit certain types. Augusta is about local knowledge so past form is key. US Open is generally about finding someone accurate off the tee, solid in hitting the green and a half decent putter.

Keep your bets small until you figure it out and go with your own bets rather than follow specific tipsters etc. Far more satisfaction in picking a long priced winner by yourself.

Hope that helps.

Kirk

• Advertisement

https://sites.google.com/site/smartgolfbets/

all you need for course form and current form for each event

https://sites.google.com/site/smartgolfbets/

all you need for course form and current form for each event

that your own work or just one you use?

that your own work or just one you use?

just one i use, very handy though

just one i use, very handy though

collates the information really well. Fair play for sharing. How are you bets going so far this week? (know its hard to judge until close of play on Sat at AT&T).

collates the information really well. Fair play for sharing. How are you bets going so far this week? (know its hard to judge until close of play on Sat at AT&T).

nobody completely out if contention yet but hard to assess untill all courses are played

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Coverage finished on cbs now so same goes for sky
    The leaders are half way through their round for gods sake :confused:

mailburner wrote: »
    Coverage finished on cbs now so same goes for sky
    The leaders are half way through their round for gods sake :confused:

is there much daylight left over there?

sticking with Jimmy Walker this week. Outsider Bryce Molder @125/1 might be worth few quid e/w
    Hoping this week might be the week for forgotten star Tom Lewis to come good,he's 125/1
    few terrible shouts this weeks tbh,will be ok if Walker pulls it off though. Tenner on the snozz @25/1,(will post tm)weather looking a lot more calm tomorrow.

As my 2 bets in Joburg are gone I've backed Jeong @8/1,love that swing,would like to see him get in the mix to see if the swing holds up.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kapalua, Torrey Pines and now Pebble Beach. Saturday struggles for Spieth again, sigh.

Walker has it wrapped up in the US as long as he shoots even par.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Kapalua, Torrey Pines and now Pebble Beach. Saturday struggles for Spieth again.

Walker has it wrapped up in the US as long as he shoots even par.

I hope so,was thinking about backing the field @3/1,if I had a score on I probably would but I think he should do it.
    I'm just thinking of what happened Dustin Johnson a few years back although that was the us open.
    A few up the top will be happy with a decent cheque,no major risks,so the only dangers are Phil and Hunter.

Advertisement