Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

robinwing wrote: »
    Doctors began tests on stricken F1 legend Michael Schumacher's brain today in a bid to precisely locate the area where he suffered massive damage in his pre-Christmas ski accident.

Schumacher has been in a artificially-induced coma for 15 days and remains stable, but critically ill.

The medical team treating him in Grenoble, France, that there are still great fears of "unexpected complications," such as a brain brain hemorrhage and infection, according to reports.

A small part of his skull has been removed in a bid to relieve pressure on his brain, according to a Zurich paper at the weekend,.

Swiss neurosurgeon Frédéric Rossi told the Zurich Tagesanzeiger that the list of dangers from such an op "is long, ranging from swelling to bleeding to the accidental opening of the brain's outer membrane."

Schumacher, 44, was out skiing with friends and his 14-year-old son Mick on December 29 when he fell on to rocks at the French resort of Meribel. He had to be helicoptered to hospital and has been fighting for his life ever since.

His wife Corinna and his two children remain at his bedside in a constant vigil and high-profile figures from the world of F1, industry and showbiz continue to make brief visits to see him.

( written by Don Mackay in the Mirror newspaper today)

He turned 45 on the 3rd of this month, and all the articles that I have read have him as 44, so I feel it's a case that one paper ran the story and the rest are copying and pasting it without really checking it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

He turned 45 on the 3rd of this month, and all the articles that I have read have him as 44, so I feel it's a case that one paper ran the story and the rest are copying and pasting it without really checking it out.

Very likely. Hope we hear some good news soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any news on him, its not looking good if they cant wake him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

irishgeo wrote: »
    its not looking good if they cant wake him up.

That's not the situation, in fact, it's a medically induced coma he's in.

Edit - Actually I may have misread that....did you mean they cant wake him because it's not safe to do so? That's true I guess, which is worrying. But it may be a long while yet...

No news but I suppose no news is good news?

He may be in the coma for a long while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The only yardstick I know is the Richard Hammond thing, which was 2 weeks in a coma followed by 3.5 years of very gradual recovery to being even remotely close to feeling as he had before the accident.

Sadly Michael Schumacher is very unlikely to ever again resemble the man his fans have known for 25 years, should he survive. The longer he remains in a coma the more I wonder would a man of his ambition and activity rather not survive, than be dependent on intervention and assistance for the rest of his days.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only yardstick I know is the Richard Hammond thing, which was 2 weeks in a coma followed by 3.5 years of very gradual recovery to being even remotely close to feeling as he had before the accident.

Sadly Michael Schumacher is very unlikely to ever again resemble the man his fans have known for 25 years, should he survive. The longer he remains in a coma the more I wonder would a man of his ambition and activity rather not survive, than be dependent on intervention and assistance for the rest of his days.

But there is no way to assess the damage done if any to his brain until they bring him out of the coma and the wont do this until they are happy to do so.

You are speaking like he is already dead, we dont know the details in full.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends, but wouldn't he want to see his kids grow up? He is more than just a bloke wot drove cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richard Hammond recovered much better and much faster than that. He was back presenting Top Gear within four months of his crash. He had lots of rehabilitation since then, and it hasn't been without setbacks, but he is still living a good life and working successfully in his chosen profession.

I don't think anyone knows the extent of Michael Schumacher's injuries, probably not even his medical team. But he has defied the odds more often than most - don't write him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

I don't think anyone knows the extent of Michael Schumacher's injuries, probably not even his medical team. But he has defied the odds more often than most - don't write him off.

Well said Skid X Michael Schumacher is "no ordinary " He has willpower , determination and confidence beyond the ordinary man ( I see some brain surgeon said if he pulls out of it he will be just a joe bloggs ) If its humanly possible to regain a large percentage of his previous abilities he will do it. The only enemy I could foresee would be impatience . If he can have acceptance and patience he could amaze us all . Lets hope so . When I think of all the years I followed his career I nearly think I know him personally . He was no angel on the track , but what a driver and character he was and he gave so many millions of his personal fortune to charity and deprived children . Let's hope he can catch a break just one more time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There are no yardsticks when it comes to brain injuries. Too complex, too random and too varied.
    All we can do is wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

There are no yardsticks when it comes to brain injuries. Too complex, too random and too varied.
    All we can do is wait

Yeah we'd all like some answers or prognosis but at the end of the day until Schumi wakes up it's all speculation. It's tough for his fans but all we can do is keep our fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

KarlFitz01 wrote: »

Three words I would like to highlight from that article: "Experts have speculated ...". These so called experts are not directly involved in Schumi's care, and right now, speculating is all they are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This article is dated yesterday too and none of the other newsagents have picked it up. Not dismissing it but hopefully it is just a tabloid publishing gossip and rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This article is dated yesterday too and none of the other newsagents have picked it up. Not dismissing it but hopefully it is just a tabloid publishing gossip and rumours.
    Mentioned on the radio this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ficus wrote: »
    That article is pure ****in rubbish.
    Typical mirror stuff.

After further analysis

It is caveated to high heaven
    It is reported he is now in danger of being left in a permanent vegetative state. (link is to the Mirror)

Jean-Marc Orgogozo, professor of neurology at the University of Bordeaux, said: “Every day, every week in a coma the chances decline that the situation is improving.” (a person not treating him)

An Austrian news website said the German F1 legend may suffer apallic syndrome, or persistent vegetative state. (unnamed Austrian news website)

Experts have speculated the severe damage he suffered to his brain when he smashed his head on rocks at the resort of Meribel on December 29 could result in him being left in a permanent vegetative state. - Experts have speculated.

The only relevant line is 'Michael today remained stable. His medical team were silent about his treatment.'
    ie nothing has changed since yesterday

Daily Mail are also reporting it now. I will wait for a better source before losing hope completely.

As was said before, the only reliable sources of information are his medical team, his family and his management. Reports from anybody else are just opinions.

Anyway, we should come to expect this type of reporting from tabloids such as the Mirror. It's not as if they haven't used dubious reporting techniques before to create news where there isn't any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tabloid rag in slow news day shocker. There have been no official updates at all, so before you even read the article you know it's just dredging through existing info or speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Myrddin wrote: »
    Tabloid rag in slow news day shocker. There have been no official updates at all, so before you even read the article you know it's just dredging through existing info or speculation
    Exactly. Sure with brain injury, anything is possible, from complete paralysis, partial paralysis, loss of sight, loss of memory, change of personality, or - shock horror - full recovery! Anything is possible, no one knows, but it suits some papers to release new "expert" opinions every few days to generate some new interest because it appears like news.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation to one of the experts went something like:
    "So is it possible to never be right again from brain injury?"
    "It's possible, no one knows for sure. It's a serious situation, all we can do is wait and see and let the medical team do their job."
    "OK, thanks..." *hangs up and runs with "EXPERT SAYS SCHUMI MIGHT NEVER BE RIGHT" headline *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Typical irresponsible tabloid rubbish - they will stop at nothing to sell papers. Scum bags.

Get well soon Michael - we're all praying for a positive outcome.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jean-Marc Orgogozo, professor of neurology at the University of Bordeaux, said: “Every day, every week in a coma the chances decline that the situation is improving.” (a person not treating him)

Accurate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I'm minded to recall the story of Karl Wendlinger in 1994. He spent several weeks in an induced coma to allow severe brain swelling to subside. He eventually recovered sufficiently to race again - albeit not as competively as his previous skill allowed. What's to say that the same medical strategy that applied to Karl then is now being applied to Michael now.

Fingers crossed he will get there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

RayM wrote: »

A considered assessment of the situation. It accurately explains all the possible outcomes. Most of all, what it portrays is that no definitive prognosis can yet be made. We just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually thats depressing reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Much better reading than the crap being spouted in the media.
    Four weeks today and no word on him, starting to get really really worried:(
    Even my mother was asking me about him this morning.

lolie wrote: »
    Much better reading than the crap being spouted in the media.
    Four weeks today and no word on him, starting to get really really worried:(
    Even my mother was asking me about him this morning.

Yeah, Sky News did a piece on him yesterday and fans did a track walk around Spa supporting him but I am worried now. I would have thought we would have heard something from his doctors.

Seen a few pics of it last night.
    Looking at all the pictures and reports in the media since the accident its almost like he never drove for Mercedes.

• Advertisement

Nice touch from ferrari at jerez today.
    BfAMZNJCUAAfGF5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I hope each day to hear some news, and I will never lose that hope.

Michael is one of my heroes, if anyone can wake from this, its him.

Hard to imagine it's already been a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Rumours that doctors are attempting to slowly wake Michael Schumacher up from his coma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

fingers crossed for him :)

Rumours that doctors are attempting to slowly wake Michael Schumacher up from his coma.

This doesn't really surprise me, I honestly think they've already tried. But it will be a very slow process. It will take 13 and a half hours just to rewarm him if not already done. Then there's the whole process of actually waking him up. This could take days from gently lightening the sedation to completely removing it, and then the couple of hours before he comes around.

Unfortunately for now thats all it seems to be, a rumour.
    His manager released a statement earlier today
    "I am stressing again that any statement regarding Michael's health not coming from the doctors treating him or from his management must be considered as speculation," the statement read. "I repeat that we will not comment any speculations."

For once i really hope theres some truth in the rumour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

of Austria in Spielberg, May 18, 2003.

Formula One legend Michael Schumacher is showing new signs of life, according to a French newspaper.(L'Equipe )

The 45-year-old decorated driver has “reacted positively” to being woken up from a medically induced coma he has been in since a ski accident in the French Alps in late December, The Telegraph reports, citing the French sports daily L’Equipe

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/f1-legend-michael-schumacher-beginning-wake-coma-report-article-1.1595668#ixzz2rqBUrAqG

Hope this is all true , If at all religious this is the time to say a few prayers

Schumi's slowly being brought out of his induced coma according to his manager.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25958166

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Reporting the story of doctors taking him out of the coma now on sky sports news. Craig Slater says news is from Schumacher's manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Fingers crossed for him.

Fingers crossed! Great news, hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

This is from Sky News so please don't take it as fact, but I really hope it's true.

"Michael Schumacher is being brought out of his coma and is "responding to instructions", according to Sky News sources."

http://news.sky.com/story/1203594/michael-schumacher-responding-sky-sources

That is good news! Hopefully he will progress quickly.

• Advertisement

Great news, lets hope its all positive from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lolie wrote: »
    Great news, lets hope its all positive from here.

Any updates?

Not heard anything in awhile. The last I read was that the wake up process could take anywhere from days to weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

292797.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Advertisement
Advertisement