Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If things dont improve quickly with brain damage then it usually wont ever happen. I dont think hes going to get out of this but if he does, he is likely to have catastrophic mental incapacity and so wont really be the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ryanf1 wrote: »
    If things dont improve quickly with brain damage then it usually wont ever happen. I dont think hes going to get out of this but if he does, he is likely to have catastrophic mental incapacity and so wont really be the same person.

Probably a severe permanent brain injury, or some level of paralysis, or both?? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Probably a severe permanent brain injury, or some level of paralysis, or both?? :-(

We don't know that, and can't say for sure what will happen. I will agree that things don't look good but we still can't jump to any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Michael Schumacher's family have been given new hope that the Formula 1 legend is getting better, writes Byron Young in Manama.

Manager Sabine Kehm rubbished reports that the family are preparing his Swiss home to become a £10m hospital as hope fades for the German.

Instead she said there were signs that gave cause for optimism.

"I can only say again: There are signs that give us encouragement'," she said.

But there was still a delicate balancing act being played by doctors who could not rule out a sudden set-back as they continue to attempt to bring him out of the coma.

If he should make more positive steps the next step, according to reports in Germany, would be to transfer him from the hospital in Grenoble to a rehabilitation clinic.

Kehm strongly refuted suggestions his home was being prepared for long term care by wife Corinna, 45, because hope of a recovery had faded.

"The rumours that Corinna remodels her house to bring the supposedly 'hopeless case Michael' home, are absolutely groundless," she said.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-3343108#ixzz2xoqOBnK0
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook ( Source Mirror Sport online )

robinwing wrote: »
    Michael Schumacher's family have been given new hope that the Formula 1 legend is getting better, writes Byron Young in Manama.

Manager Sabine Kehm rubbished reports that the family are preparing his Swiss home to become a £10m hospital as hope fades for the German.

Instead she said there were signs that gave cause for optimism.

"I can only say again: There are signs that give us encouragement'," she said.

But there was still a delicate balancing act being played by doctors who could not rule out a sudden set-back as they continue to attempt to bring him out of the coma.

If he should make more positive steps the next step, according to reports in Germany, would be to transfer him from the hospital in Grenoble to a rehabilitation clinic.

Kehm strongly refuted suggestions his home was being prepared for long term care by wife Corinna, 45, because hope of a recovery had faded.

"The rumours that Corinna remodels her house to bring the supposedly 'hopeless case Michael' home, are absolutely groundless," she said.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-3343108#ixzz2xoqOBnK0
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook ( Source Mirror Sport online )

Thank f!&k for that!! The Mirror isn't worth wiping yer a&@e with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apparently he's showing some "moments of consciousness and awakening" today, which is really great news :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Zcott wrote: »
    Apparently he's showing some signs of consciousness today, which is really great news :-)

Yep.

http://news.sky.com/story/1237059/schumacher-showing-moments-of-awakening

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Amazing news, I was resigned to the next announcement being something terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The irresponsibility of the slant of this story is breath taking. Given where we are now, even if he 'awakened' shortly the statistical probability is that he will be suffering from extreme mental and physical disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Great news.
    Its amazing the stuff the Daily Fail gets away with posting. "Sources:rolleyes::rolleyes:". Wouldn't read so much as an article in that paper even if me name was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Still worried about the quality of life he will have once he begins the recovery/rehabilitation process, up to now I was beginning to believe that he wasn't going to recover at all, so this announcement gives real cause for optimism.

This thread has been tough to read of late as there seemed to be a growing resignation that the outcome of this was not going to be what we had all hoped for, and unfortunately that growing pessimism was fully justified.

Write this man off at your peril I guess :) Still a long way to go I'd imagine and he's probably still very far from out of the woods, but it's great to get some good news.

Thank f&@k for that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Amazing news. Hopefully, should he pull through, his quality of life is good

Myrddin wrote: »
    Amazing news. Hopefully, should he pull through, his quality of life is good

I had to check this news on multiple websites to make sure I wasnt seeing things. It is great news. Delighted!

just when we were all resigned to the worst and had virtually given up hope , a ray of light appears at the end of a long dark tunnel . but it is a very long tunnel still to be travelled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Great news even though its only a small step in his recovery process.

Just proves what a fighter he is even though some so called fans on this thread had completely written him off only this week.
    And sky news claiming Gary Hartstein as his chief doctor in their article, typical half arsed lazy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Great news. It's the first real positive news we've got since the accident.

You've got a very good point on the lazy journalism lolie. Nearly every article out there contains inaccuracies of one type or another. You'd think that with the limited amount of information that has actually been released to the press all along that they'd get their facts right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just heard the above news, brilliant! Absolutely delighted. Hopefully it's the start of a decent recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm kind of scared to believe the good news story now since the newspapers seem to just be shoveling out anything and claim "sources".

• Advertisement

Great news. It's the first real positive news we've got since the accident.

You've got a very good point on the lazy journalism lolie. Nearly every article out there contains inaccuracies of one type or another. You'd think that with the limited amount of information that has actually been released to the press all along that they'd get their facts right.

Most of the stories are just made up rubbish and then copy pasted elsewhere as fact, heaven forbid they actually do some research first.
    A friend of his who happens to be a doctor earlier this week said something like 'those who are talking know nothing and those in the know are saying nothing'.
    Unless its an official statement i dont bother reading it.

#forzamichael

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sweet music to my ears, if anyone can pull through this, its Schumi.

Keep at it, we are all with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Hartstein's blog seemed very upbeat today too. Lets hope the good news continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

lolie wrote: »
    Great news even though its only a small step in his recovery process.

Just proves what a fighter he is even though some so called fans on this thread had completely written him off only this week.
    And sky news claiming Gary Hartstein as his chief doctor in their article, typical half arsed lazy journalism.

What's your problem? Why have a pop at people for beginning to lose hope? Up to now there has been no good news since it happened 3 months ago and it is 100% understandable that some people would start to feel that this wasn't going to have a happy ending.

Anyone who started to fear the worst is not any less of a fan for doing so just like anyone who always had faith is not any more of a fan and it is just plain wrong of you to imply otherwise with your "so called fans" jibe.

Hanalei wrote: »
    What's your problem? Why have a pop at people for beginning to lose hope? Up to now there has been no good news since it happened 3 months ago and it is 100% understandable that some people would start to feel that this wasn't going to have a happy ending.

Anyone who started to fear the worst is not any less of a fan for doing so just like anyone who always had faith is not any more of a fan and it is just plain wrong of you to imply otherwise with your "so called fans" jibe.

I wasnt really referring to the comments fearing the worst or maybe expecting the next bit of news to be not great news.
    Nor was i saying that those with more faith than others were somehow bigger fans of his.

It was more frustration at a few comments by some thinking he was already gone but only being kept alive by his family who were afraid to let go.
    His manager made several statements since the accident which each time she said they always believed he would recover and showed encouraging signs and wouldnt give up hope.
    My point was more if his family and the doctors who are treating him fully believe he'll make a recovery then why would us fans doubt them and think there was no hope for him.
    My comment probably looked worse than what it was meant to be.

Michael Schumacher latest news: Jean Alesi says F1 star showed signs of improvement during a recent hospital visit
    Apr 09, 2014 15:16 By Ben Curtis
    "I felt a relief among his family, a great happiness at how things were developing. That is brilliant - even if the road back is still a long one"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-latest-news-jean-3392752#ixzz2yTLGgbqU
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

More good news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's great news...it's a long road but he's fighting back.

• Advertisement

Michael's manager Sabine Kehm is to appear on German tv tomorrow evening on the Gunther Jauch talkshow to speak about Michael.

So if anyone has a dish pointed at Astra 19 and can understand German it's on Das Erste at 8.45.
    Fingers crossed she has some good news.

Advertisement