Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

Next setup would be to reduce his sedation... but they can't do that until...

Intracranial pressure stays down
    Haemorrhaging stops
    Swelling has subsided

Once they are happy with this they will move him to a less sedated level and begin to monitor brain activity and response.

Stay strong Schumi! Your family needs you to pull through this!

Well expressed sir !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Is there an aspect that medics, whilst offering professional encouragement, tend to cite the worse case scenario as a realistic base to avoid giving false hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

The man is a born winner,and a champion hope he makes a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Kettleson wrote: »
    Is there an aspect that medics, whilst offering professional encouragement, tend to cite the worse case scenario as a realistic base to avoid giving false hope?

I don't think they say the worst case scenario, they just tell it as it is. The case with Schumacher is that millions of people want to see him pull through and if they say that he will, and something doesn't quite go to plan, then everyone will pile on to them like a tonne of bricks. They just want to keep it in everyones head that this situation is very critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Happy Birthday Champ. I know you don't want to be spending it like this... keep strong and pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Kettleson wrote: »

If you are reading the quotes from press conferences, they are being very direct, blunt and inline with the typical process for this kind of injury.
    It's very complex, very unpredictable and could go either way in a hurry. There is really no way to know for sure. Whatever the damage is, it's already done we are just waiting to see what the extent is.

Literally all we can do at this point is cross our fingers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Message from Michael's family today after birthday vigil...

"We are overwhelmed!
    The incredible sympathies shown today by the Ferrari Fans outside the hospital has utterly overwhelmed us and moved us all to tears. We are deeply grateful for it and also for all the heartwarming and heartfelt wishes for Michael to get well soon, which have reached us from all over the world."

BdEukhpCcAEEMcD.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It was on the Sky News ticker tape thingy there that a family friend has said that "his life is no longer in danger"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Myrddin wrote: »
    It was on the Sky News ticker tape thingy there that a family friend has said that "his life is no longer on danger"...

Yes, in the interview in his car he says he is not a doctor, but [as above] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Yes, in the interview in his car he says he is not a doctor, but [as above] :)

Sabine has just come out and denied this unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

It was on the Sky News ticker tape thingy there that a family friend has said that "his life is no longer in danger"...

tbh first thing I thought was, some 'family friend' ! .. he visits his mate in a coma and then comes out and tells all the media that 'his life is no longer on danger' :rolleyes:

A 'friend' would keep his mouth shut and let the appropriate spokesperson deal with the media ..

Of course I hope he's right but I'll wait for official confirmation.

v10 wrote: »
    tbh first thing I thought was, some 'family friend' ! .. he visits his mate in a coma and then comes out and tells all the media that 'his life is no longer on danger' :rolleyes:

A 'friend' would keep his mouth shut and let the appropriate spokesperson deal with the media ..

Yeah the family seem a bit pee'd off over it from reading further. It said on Sky News that the surgeons aren't expecting to give any further updates until Monday

Arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

v10 wrote: »

He probably is right, but Schumacher's family and doctors aren't going to confirm anything until they're 100% sure that he's out of danger and have a better idea of the sort of damage they're dealing with (which could still be catastrophically life-changing and permanent). And that's not likely to happen while he's still in a coma.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Still not his place to say anything. Even if he is right there may be other issues after a head injury so best not to speculate.

RayM wrote: »
    He probably is right, but Schumacher's family and doctors aren't going to confirm anything until they're 100% sure that he's out of danger and have a better idea of the sort of damage they're dealing with (which could still be catastrophically life-changing and permanent). And that's not likely to happen while he's still in a coma.

That's really the big fear at the moment, I really really hope not

So police are investigating a camera attached to Michaels helmet at the time he fell. Safe to say that tape will end up on the Daily Mail / Mirror / Sun website within a month.

So police are investigating a camera attached to Michaels helmet at the time he fell. Safe to say that tape will end up on the Daily Mail / Mirror / Sun website within a month.

I wouldn't hand over something like that voluntarily, whether the family did or not. I don't see how someone falling over is a matter for the police or any of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Suppose this could (have) end(ed) with a fatality and there for the police force would need to investigate ...

Probably collected at the crash site or brought to the hospital attached to the helmet so doctor could estimate the force of the impact and then handed over to the authorities.

I wouldn't hand over something like that voluntarily, whether the family did or not. I don't see how someone falling over is a matter for the police or any of their business.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Suppose this could (have) end(ed) with a fatality and there for the police force would need to investigate ...

Probably collected at the crash site or brought to the hospital attached to the helmet so doctor could estimate the force of the impact and then handed over to the authorities.

It was voluntarily handed over to the police by the family according to Sabine Kehm, Michael's manager. I don't want to insult any force or agency but there's nearly always someone from the police connected to someone in a paper through their grandmother's 2nd cousin's once removed child's stepfather's dog whose previous owner is having an affair with the plumber of the father of the editor of said paper. It's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

In the circumstances who gives a flying fcu about a tape anyways?

It's just another reminder of the manipulation and exploitation that each one of us is subject to on a minute by minute basis.

The vulnerable form opinions of people they have never met, based on media reports. I've never met the guy, and never will but I hope to God he pulls through for his family.

But for sure, it's a great reminder. Life is fragile and precious. Come on Michael!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That's really the big fear at the moment, I really really hope not

Yeah, that is my fear also... I hope there is no serious damage to his brain and he avoids any kind of paralysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Bild (the German equivalent of The Sun) is reporting that Schumacher's life is no longer in danger.

RayM wrote: »
    Bild (the German equivalent of The Sun) is reporting that Schumacher's life is no longer in danger.

No matter how many people say that, I'm not going to believe or pay any heed to it until Jean Francois Payen, Emmanuel Gay, Stephan Chabardes or Gerard Saillant says it.

No matter how many people say that, I'm not going to believe or pay any heed to it until Jean Francois Payen, Emmanuel Gay, Stephan Chabardes or Gerard Saillant says it.

Agreed. If this were the case, why would it not be being announced officially. Even if true, I won't be rejoicing until I see how he is. There are fates worse than death...

Agreed. If this were the case, why would it not be being announced officially. Even if true, I won't be rejoicing until I see how he is. There are fates worse than death...

Well, there's a press conference on Wednesday morning at 10am our time coming from Albertville, 80km from the Hospital, so if there's anything to be announced regards Schumacher's condition, it will be a press officer from the hospital, and it will probably be a script with no definite details, just we've monitored A, done B and are happy with C. The main reason for the press conference is for the police to talk to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Press conference today apparently said condition unchanged and still classed as critical

Press conference today apparently said condition unchanged and still classed as critical

Sky News ticker tape thingy is saying "AFP: "Slight Improvement" in Michael Schumacher's Condition"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sky News ticker tape thingy is saying "AFP: "Slight Improvement" in Michael Schumacher's Condition"

In fairness, after what, 1.5 weeks there does not seem to be major changes. I am starting to worry a little now. It's not looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

logik wrote: »
    In fairness, after what, 1.5 weeks there does not seem to be major changes. I am starting to worry a little now. It's not looking good.

Things like this can take a lot longer than a week and a half to indicate any sort of outcome.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement