Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

logik wrote: »
    In fairness, after what, 1.5 weeks there does not seem to be major changes. I am starting to worry a little now. It's not looking good.

Yeah but you have to remember he's in an induced coma, there aren't really going to be any major changes as he's effectively on life support. He could stay like this a lot longer if they feel the need. The real measure is when they start to revive him...so the longer he's like this, I think it gives the bleeding in the brain a chance to subside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

A guy I used to work with fell through a shed roof and suffered head injuries similar to Schumacher. I think they put him in an induced coma for about 10 weeks as he had so much swelling on the brain. He seems to have made a near full recovery since then.

The thing is nobody really knows if there has been any long term damage done until they bring him out of the coma. They may attempy to bring him out of the coma shortly but if the brain swelling starts they will put him back into it again.

It may be weeks or months before we really see how Schumacher is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

To echo the above, a tweet I read today...

Kevin Garside ‏@GARSIDEK

"9 days since Schumi trauma - in 1998 boxer @SpencerOliver spent two weeks in coma after removal of blood clot on brain - fit and well tday"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I don't like comparing brain injuries. I know people do it to find some crème of comfort when their idol or a loved one is critically injured in hospital but at the end of the day, there is so much we do no know about the brain and how it works. Yes, people have survived worse injuries but people have also died from much lighter injuries.

Generally, we're afraid of the unknown. We want information if we feel we need it. It's our inbuilt curiosity, a genealogical trait. It's the reason your life flashes before your eyes before you die. Your brain looks throughout your life to find a similar situation and how you overcame it. That's why you put your hands infront of you when you fall. The brain recognises that as the action that stopped you from been injured when you fell before so that's its go to solution. The problem is that you never experienced dying before and that's why you see your entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

For a family who in their private lives have largely steered clear of the mainstream press, surely this must be an extremely unnecessary further strain at this already stressful and emotive time. Maybe some space from the media is required and await press releases to let them focus on helping Michael fight the good fight...
    Breaking news - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/schumacher-s-wife-corinna-pleads-with-media-to-leave-them-alone/

Schumacher's wife Corinna pleads with media to leave them alone

As speculation and rumours persist, the Schumacher family has had enough.
    Story by: Rainier Ehrhardt

Schumacher's wife Corinna pleads with media to leave them alone

"Please leave our family in peace."

Those were the words used in a statement by Corinna Schumacher, wife of the seven-time World Champion who is still fighting for his life after falling in a ski accident last week in the French Alps. He remains in critical but stable condition.

In a release made available on Tuesday morning by the driver's longtime manager Sabine Kehm, the German champion's wife pleaded with the media to let the doctors work and leave the family alone following numerous speculative or false reports by the media, many of whom have been camped outside the Grenoble Hospital for days.

"Please support us in our common fight with Michael. It is important to me that you leave the doctors and the hospital so that they can work in peace. I ask you to trust their statements and leave the clinic."

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, any plea for privacy just ends up being it's own media headline....as we can see here. I feel for the family, I really do. There's no escaping the media, & while the media can serve a valid & important function in society, for me it's drowned very much out by scheming vile parasites who wish nothing more than to make money from this misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Myrddin wrote: »
    Unfortunately, any plea for privacy just ends up being it's own media headline....as we can see here. I feel for the family, I really do. There's no escaping the media, & while the media can serve a valid & important function in society, for me it's drowned very much out by scheming vile parasites who wish nothing more than to make money from this misery.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Couldn't have said that better myself. Sure look at the reporter that dressed as a priest to try and sneak into his hospital room...

I really do feel for the family, from their perspective it's a case of 'damned if you do & damned if you don't' scenario - if they release regular press snippets & feed the beast, which maintains the appetite and prolongs the media presence outside the hospital, or starve the media completely which results in speculation, rumours and the fake priest saga.

I am following this closely as a huge long-term Michael Schumacher fan...which in many ways implicates me as much as anyone in the harassment of the family...

De Hipster wrote: »
    I am following this closely as a huge long-term Michael Schumacher fan...which in many ways implicates me as much as anyone in the harassment of the family...

Ah I don't know about that. The family have said all the support & well wishes have meant a great deal to them. We're on their side, & they know that. There's no way I'd lump myself in on the same sentence as that parasite that dressed up a priest, in order to get photos to sell. I'm as eager as the next person on news & updates, but only official ones...anything else can fugg right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

****Post Edited****

Please quote a source when copying and pasting some of an article.

Blame Sherlock for this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

De Hipster wrote: »

I think this is an interesting point and I am going to differ slightly from Myrddin on this.
    I think in general the people (including fans) who wish him well and are interested in his well being are happy to wait for the official word on his updates. Those that jump on every bit of gossip from less than ideal sources are the ones that share the guilt. After all there is no supply without demand.
    I would think Michaels family understand how many people are generally upset at his predicament and genuinely wish him well.
    Then there are the voyeurs who would love to see a video of him suffering in his hospital bed.
    I suppose in a F1 sense there are some that enjoy the sport and those that like the crashes.
    The fact that you are asking the question would tell me you fall into the better category

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think this is an interesting point and I am going to differ slightly from Myrddin on this.
    I think in general the people (including fans) who wish him well and are interested in his well being are happy to wait for the official word on his updates. Those that jump on every bit of gossip from less than ideal sources are the ones that share the guilt. After all there is no supply without demand.
    I would think Michaels family understand how many people are generally upset at his predicament and genuinely wish him well.
    Then there are the voyeurs who would love to see a video of him suffering in his hospital bed.
    I suppose in a F1 sense there are some that enjoy the sport and those that like the crashes.
    The fact that you are asking the question would tell me you fall into the better category

I would definitively position myself in the 'non-gutterspawn press coverage' follower group.

My concern would be that it is often difficult to differentiate with so many freelance journos and photographers (not to mention the 'have-a-go' amateurs) often not only selling to the highest bidders but sourcing news/images and imagery with bucks in mind. Images (in particular) appear across media not just the old identifiable and reliable red tops - or morally lax youtube embedded channels, with many a previously 'moral' publication having succumbed to the pressures of hit-driven advertising revenues generated through the sneak-a-peek, gore-consuming, casual internet browser...thus generating the appetite & I am a (not always willing) consumer.

For example, I have seen the blood-drenched snow at the alleged site of the accident - I was not looking for it & did not access the daily mail (or worthy equivalent) seeking updates, and particularly not updates of that nature.

I wish Michael and his family the very best outcome from this awful situation, I hope he has a full and speedy recovery. I will be keenly awaiting the next official press release from the medical team, family, management etc. for some positive movements.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Local mods are not online so I'll step in here. I've deleted a few posts. Do not post any unsubstantiated rumours. If you have information from a reputable source provide a link

Thanks

Beasty

They don't plan days for giving updates, either Sabine just gives a statement or they hold a press conference when Michael's condition changes significantly enough for them to do so. That's the only time there has been word from the hospital. On the Monday, they told us about what had happened that previous night, and on the Tuesday, they told us about the operation to remove the haematoma on the left side of his brain. Since then, there has not been anything except Sabine saying he was stable on Friday. Perhaps, if there's a substantial amount of time elapsed since the last press conference took place, they might hold one just to assure everyone of the current state.

As for them being vague, my opinion on it is that they are putting the statements through the family, or perhaps more specifically, Rolf, Ralf and Corinna since Mick and Gina-Marie are 14 and 16. They won't want all the nitty gritty details out in the public domain just yet, and like I said before, the doctors aren't going to risk saying he'll be ay-ok unless the time comes that they can 100% say so.

My friends said they'd like me as a doctor because of how re-assuring I was. At this stage the news is either going to be excellent or terrible. I don't want to think about how it would be if it's not good news.
    Every tick of the clock should have been good news by now.

Two weeks today...seems a lot longer :(

Two weeks today...seems a lot longer :(

Yeah its hard to believe alright. I really hope this is going to have a good ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

God speed. One of the all time great sport stars. Sight that it's two weeks.

Doctors began tests on stricken F1 legend Michael Schumacher's brain today in a bid to precisely locate the area where he suffered massive damage in his pre-Christmas ski accident.

Schumacher has been in a artificially-induced coma for 15 days and remains stable, but critically ill.

The medical team treating him in Grenoble, France, that there are still great fears of "unexpected complications," such as a brain brain hemorrhage and infection, according to reports.

A small part of his skull has been removed in a bid to relieve pressure on his brain, according to a Zurich paper at the weekend,.

Swiss neurosurgeon Frédéric Rossi told the Zurich Tagesanzeiger that the list of dangers from such an op "is long, ranging from swelling to bleeding to the accidental opening of the brain's outer membrane."

Schumacher, 44, was out skiing with friends and his 14-year-old son Mick on December 29 when he fell on to rocks at the French resort of Meribel. He had to be helicoptered to hospital and has been fighting for his life ever since.

His wife Corinna and his two children remain at his bedside in a constant vigil and high-profile figures from the world of F1, industry and showbiz continue to make brief visits to see him.

( written by Don Mackay in the Mirror newspaper today)

• Advertisement

robinwing wrote: »
    Doctors began tests on stricken F1 legend Michael Schumacher's brain today in a bid to precisely locate the area where he suffered massive damage in his pre-Christmas ski accident.

Schumacher has been in a artificially-induced coma for 15 days and remains stable, but critically ill.

The medical team treating him in Grenoble, France, that there are still great fears of "unexpected complications," such as a brain brain hemorrhage and infection, according to reports.

A small part of his skull has been removed in a bid to relieve pressure on his brain, according to a Zurich paper at the weekend,.

Swiss neurosurgeon Frédéric Rossi told the Zurich Tagesanzeiger that the list of dangers from such an op "is long, ranging from swelling to bleeding to the accidental opening of the brain's outer membrane."

Schumacher, 44, was out skiing with friends and his 14-year-old son Mick on December 29 when he fell on to rocks at the French resort of Meribel. He had to be helicoptered to hospital and has been fighting for his life ever since.

His wife Corinna and his two children remain at his bedside in a constant vigil and high-profile figures from the world of F1, industry and showbiz continue to make brief visits to see him.

( written by Don Mackay in the Mirror newspaper today)

He turned 45 on the 3rd of this month, and all the articles that I have read have him as 44, so I feel it's a case that one paper ran the story and the rest are copying and pasting it without really checking it out.

He turned 45 on the 3rd of this month, and all the articles that I have read have him as 44, so I feel it's a case that one paper ran the story and the rest are copying and pasting it without really checking it out.

Very likely. Hope we hear some good news soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any news on him, its not looking good if they cant wake him up.

irishgeo wrote: »
    its not looking good if they cant wake him up.

That's not the situation, in fact, it's a medically induced coma he's in.

Edit - Actually I may have misread that....did you mean they cant wake him because it's not safe to do so? That's true I guess, which is worrying. But it may be a long while yet...

No news but I suppose no news is good news?

He may be in the coma for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The only yardstick I know is the Richard Hammond thing, which was 2 weeks in a coma followed by 3.5 years of very gradual recovery to being even remotely close to feeling as he had before the accident.

Sadly Michael Schumacher is very unlikely to ever again resemble the man his fans have known for 25 years, should he survive. The longer he remains in a coma the more I wonder would a man of his ambition and activity rather not survive, than be dependent on intervention and assistance for the rest of his days.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only yardstick I know is the Richard Hammond thing, which was 2 weeks in a coma followed by 3.5 years of very gradual recovery to being even remotely close to feeling as he had before the accident.

Sadly Michael Schumacher is very unlikely to ever again resemble the man his fans have known for 25 years, should he survive. The longer he remains in a coma the more I wonder would a man of his ambition and activity rather not survive, than be dependent on intervention and assistance for the rest of his days.

But there is no way to assess the damage done if any to his brain until they bring him out of the coma and the wont do this until they are happy to do so.

You are speaking like he is already dead, we dont know the details in full.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends, but wouldn't he want to see his kids grow up? He is more than just a bloke wot drove cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richard Hammond recovered much better and much faster than that. He was back presenting Top Gear within four months of his crash. He had lots of rehabilitation since then, and it hasn't been without setbacks, but he is still living a good life and working successfully in his chosen profession.

I don't think anyone knows the extent of Michael Schumacher's injuries, probably not even his medical team. But he has defied the odds more often than most - don't write him off.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone knows the extent of Michael Schumacher's injuries, probably not even his medical team. But he has defied the odds more often than most - don't write him off.

Well said Skid X Michael Schumacher is "no ordinary " He has willpower , determination and confidence beyond the ordinary man ( I see some brain surgeon said if he pulls out of it he will be just a joe bloggs ) If its humanly possible to regain a large percentage of his previous abilities he will do it. The only enemy I could foresee would be impatience . If he can have acceptance and patience he could amaze us all . Lets hope so . When I think of all the years I followed his career I nearly think I know him personally . He was no angel on the track , but what a driver and character he was and he gave so many millions of his personal fortune to charity and deprived children . Let's hope he can catch a break just one more time

Advertisement