Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Getting the strongest gusts of the winter here now. Recent gust 76KPH

A lot stronger than the Xmas storms here also ,

My wether station is playing up so Im using the flying garden equipment scale ,

This is high on the scale :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

So far my only big issue was our recycling bin blowing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Indeed, however, Tuesday's event is promising some serious potential, pack and extra lunch going to work.
    right now it is just a very light wind, but i am dreading the beast that is to hit us tuesday,
    at least we are now fairly ready for it, we got time to clear up around anything that may become airborn and hit a pane of glass, trees and shrubs cut back,

and the thought of more at weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

that's quite a serious looking squall line over Co Kildare at the moment heading towards the capital, I'm surprised there's no reports here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

leahyl wrote: »
    Tides won't be as high though will they?

High tide levels are reducing all week and will bottom out by Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Metal roof of an old outbuilding across the way is peeling off in a few places

Rain much heavier now but wind has died down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

goat2 wrote: »
    right now it is just a very light wind, but i am dreading the beast that is to hit us tuesday,
    at least we are now fairly ready for it, we got time to clear up around anything that may become airborn and hit a pane of glass, trees and shrubs cut back,

and the thought of more at weekend,

Expectations seem to be a bit high for Tuesday. I don't think we're looking at a "beast" to be honest.

For inland areas winds will be similar to this morning. For coastal areas in the south and east winds will be a bit higher. The latest GFS is showing max gusts in the range of 50-60 knots on the coast. The strongest winds will be on the southern flank of the low but since the low is filling, those winds will be weaker for us as the low pulls northward on Wednesday.

14020415_0306.gif
    14020418_0306.gif
    14020421_0306.gif

Further risks of more coastal flooding for the south and east coasts with low pressure and onshore winds. Though tides will be a little lower and the strongest winds may not coincide with the time of high tides.

New Ross this morning :

Bfiv5bwCAAAJhR7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    So i arrived at work at 10am this morning - left the house at 7.55 - so yeah took me 2 hours to get to work. Traffice chaos in Cork City this morning.

fire engines all over the place this morning. passing by the shops seeing the staff cleaning up the mess again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wind here in Carlow was much worse last night/this morning than Stephens day.

The rain has been the worst i've seen in a couple of years. Lots of hill roads have been washed away and there are floods where there have never been floods before. Then just like that its eerily calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Gusts of 65 knots a certainty tomorrow eve on exposed SE and E coasts. I Would expect peak gusts of 70 knots in the very exposed locations.

Dun Laoghaire harbour had a good few +60 knot gusts earlier on so I'd say it might brush 70 knots tomorrow eve (if charts stay the same). Won't be anything epic but could definitely cause some damage so be cautious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just had a quick look through the stats from this storm and wind wise the strongest sustained wind of 59km/h recorded which is a station record. Max gust of 87km/h not quiet a record but close to the 93km/h on Stephens Day.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Tides will be about half metre lower by Wed so that will make a huge difference to coastal regions including Cork. Rivers of course will remain under pressure with ll the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Wind and rain this morning as bad as any day so far in Wexford. Crossing Wexford bridge at 9.15am the water was about 12inchs below the quay level with high winds whipping the waves over the quay wall. High tide was at 9.20am. Didn't see anything other than superficial flooding although I believe the low lying cinema car park may have being flooded along with the railway line to Rosslare. (Buses running from Enniscorthy)

Picture from twitter of flooding at Ballyhack this morning.
    292126.jpg

Ballyhack is near the coast on the Waterford Estuary south of New Ross which also experienced flooding this morning. I understand the Wexford Waterford road through the town is closed due to flooding at New Ross bridge/quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the sun is shining at moment with a light breeze, i am loving the few hours to get things done outside,
    i guess this time tomorrow the scene will be different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flan_Da_Man

Was out on achill island over the weekend. Storm was incredible. Here is one video as we were walking up to achillhenge. I apologise for bad camera footage. It was very difficult to keep it steady in the wind.

There were some stages where is was impossible to walk. We then went up one of the mountains to the top. It was an incredible experience. The wind was like howling and pulling us away.

Never underestimate the forces of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4qSGpupskQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Was out on achill island over the weekend. Storm was incredible. Here is one video as we were walking up to achillhenge. I apologise for bad camera footage. It was very difficult to keep it steady in the wind.

There were some stages where is was impossible to walk. We then went up one of the mountains to the top. It was an incredible experience. The wind was like howling and pulling us away.

Never underestimate the forces of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4qSGpupskQ

I wasn't keen on going there but I guess Jeremiah had some craic. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

2668.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Liffey getting very close to top of quays

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

High tide another half hour away at 2:04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Steopo wrote: »
    Tides will be about half metre lower by Wed so that will make a huge difference to coastal regions including Cork. Rivers of course will remain under pressure with ll the rain.

Everything else says flooding though (pressure of 950, Easterly Gales, heavy rain)
    Eventhough the tide wont be as high all the other factors could well make it worse than this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Harps wrote: »
    Max gust of 52kts on the latest reports, as people have said its probably the unusual wind direction that's making it feel worse than usual as the met reports are nothing special, I know back home in Donegal a south easterly or northerly gale often feels more severe than storm force westerlies.

Strangely, I find this is very much case in here in Galway as well. Prefrontal SE or E'lys, regardless of strength, both feel and sound much more 'ominous' for some reason. Way different feel to them as well. W or SW winds, while normally stronger, don't appear to be and more often than not are just annoying. The north wind tends to make the most noise I have noticed while a south wind has a deep, thunderous tone about it. It was the same in Galway City too when I lived there so whether I am just mad in my imaginings, or there is something to it, I dunno. :o

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Looks like a large % of Irish and British cities are going to have be put on stilts if this continues to be a trend.

Cork City needs a tidal barrier put in quite urgently. This city centre flooding is becoming way too frequent.
    How much GDP is it costing to have our second largest city centre shopping area, which is a seriously big retail space and employs tens of thousands of people being put under water every few months?

I can assure you if Grafton Street and Leinster House were regularly under water, they'd be sorting it out. If it were Henry Street however, they'd probably just not bother either.

Things only seem to happen when Sir Humphrey's expensive shoes get wet.

Looks like some work is going to have to be done to prevent a reoccurrence of what happened in Limerick City too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Peak winds on the south coast should be around 6am.

Isle of Man is under red tidal flood warnings for tomorrow.

PEKhXG5.png

http://www.gov.im/transport/floodwatch/

Does that mean that all the people that are always whinging about the IOM snow shadow might at last see a change:D, if it gets enough water, it might sink :D:D:P

Joking apart for a moment, is it the tides, or low pressure, or winds, or combination of all of them that's causing so many hassles with water levels. Most of the places that are having problems have been there for a long time, so it's not like they are new developments in the wrong place, and I'm not aware of sea levels having risen that much yet( if the global warming protagonists are to be trusted), yet we're seeing water in places that I can't recall seeing water in for a very long time, if ever.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Does that mean that all the people that are always whinging about the IOM snow shadow might at last see a change:D, if it gets enough water, it might sink :D:D:P

Joking apart for a moment, is it the tides, or low pressure, or winds, or combination of all of them that's causing so many hassles with water levels. Most of the places that are having problems have been there for a long time, so it's not like they are new developments in the wrong place, and I'm not aware of sea levels having risen that much yet( if the global warming protagonists are to be trusted), yet we're seeing water in places that I can't recall seeing water in for a very long time, if ever.

A combination of everything really. Mainly it's a timing thing. Depressions arrving at just the wrong time to push already high astronomical tides even higher. It doesn't happen very often because of the low probability of the timing.

On top of that, a few years ago Met Eireann did a study that concluded that storm surges will increase in frequency in the future, so we should expect to see these a bit more often over the long term, while still being low probability events.
    Six years ago, a study by researchers at Met Éireann and UCD’s meteorology and climate centre showed that storm surges would increase in frequency around all Irish coastal areas over the next few decades, by up to 20 per cent in the west.

It also predicted a significant increase in the height of extreme surges along the west and east coasts, with most of these occurring in wintertime as a result of changes in extreme wind speeds and mean sea-level pressure – or “spring tides”.

Source

Anyway, maybe time to lock this thread and start one for tomorrow?

CORK CITY TIDAL FLOOD ALERT - 3rd February, 2014

Further to the tidal flood alert issued by Cork City Council on 2nd February, and following on the high tide experienced this morning 3rd February.

There is a particular risk predicted for the evening tide period tomorrow Tuesday 4th February, similar to, and possibly in excess of this morning.

The natural cycle of High Tides for the following days is predicted for the times given below:

Monday 03/02/14 20:11 hours

Tuesday 04/02/14 08:37 hours and 20:53 hours

Wednesday 05/02/14 09:21 hours and 21:36 hours

A Tidal Surge & strong Southerly /South-Easterly winds are predicted on Tuesday. These factors combined will increase the tide levels over the natural tide levels.

During this period, prior to and after these tides, there is a high risk of Tidal Flooding in the City as indicated.

It is possible that flooding may occur in the low lying areas of the City Centre including in particular South Terrace, Trinity Bridge, Rutland Street, Cotter Street, Stable Lane, Union Quay, Morrisons Quay, Proby’s Quay, Frenchs Quay, Crosses Green, Sharman Crawford St, Wandesford Quay, Lavitts Quay, Kyrls Street & Kyrls Quay, Coal Quay and Lapps Quay

Other Areas at potential risk are South Mall, Oliver Plunkett Street, Pembroke St., Princes Street, Marlborough Street, Cook Street, Winthrop Street, Kennedy Quay, Centre Park Road, Monahan’s Road, Georges Quay, and the low lying areas of the City Centre.

Due to the Tide Height predicted for Tuesday Evening, other City Centre areas including St Patrick Street, Robert Street, Cornmarket Street, and Lower Glanmire Road are also at risk of flooding.

Householders and Businesses should take Precautionary Measures to protect property.

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,65924,en.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I REMOVED THE CONSPIRACY THEORY POST'S PLEASE KEEP IT ON TOPIC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

What sort of rainfall levels can be expected with the Tuesday System?

Not sure what the levels of water are like at the Inniscarra dam, would be a double wammy if they had to leave more water out and with East'ly winds driving water up the river Lee from harbor, combined with high tide would make for a bad situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement