Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

yikes:eek: that's some low pressure heading for the south coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Loving the new WRF model on meteociel, showing 50-70mm of rain for the south over the next 3 days with plenty more to come so flooding could become an increasing threat as the month goes on

nmmuk-25-72-0_rjv6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Are we likely to get any more severe storms in the next few days/weeks? or just wind/rain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We're probably all looking past tonight's event now at the monster low for Tuesday -- or should that be Munster low?

In any case, south coast get ready for possible 120-130 km/hr gusts and another threat of coastal flooding Tuesday evening high tides. The current model consensus indicates strongest winds around 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. Tuesday night, veering from SSE to SW. West coast will also take a strong hit but not quite so strong as the south coast, and due to the southeast winds ahead of the storm, the east coast is more in line for gusts above 110 km/hr with this event.

Tonight's event not likely to reach those levels, peak gusts around 105-110 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Stressica wrote: »
    Are we likely to get any more severe storms in the next few days/weeks? or just wind/rain

Wind/rain but with the chance of something more severe at times.

• Advertisement

Risk of costal flooding tomorrow morning for the south coast and to a lesser extent the east coast was highlighted on the TV forecast this evening.
    Cork's 96FM ‏@Corks96FM

CORK CITY TIDAL FLOOD ALERT On current forecast high risk of tidal flooding usual locations before High Tide Monday 3rd Feb 07:54.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ah will you get off the high horse, it was no more than sea spray. There was zero danger and loads of fun. The boulders at the prom break the waves and prevent the rip. I have been sailing for over 10 years.

Don't have a high horse, spoke to someone that was down there and reported rocks being thrown up by some of the bigger waves, it wasn't all just spray.
    It's fine from a safe distance but there are countless videos of people putting themselves in danger over the last weeks. I enjoy the spectacle as much as all of you, maybe my attitude has changed lately as I have small children, i.e i've turned into my dad.

Anyway, on to the next event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Even though the weather for the last few weeks has been "bad", I have to say I love this extreme weather and I love big storms. It makes the winter so exciting. Mother Nature putting us in our place for once. It's almost better than snow/frosty weather.

In fact, if this is the result for global warming, I am off to fill my stove with coal/turf and cut down some trees! :pac::D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind has really picked up here in Waterford City the last hour or so. Currently we have an Average of 27km/h with a Max gust of 46km/h. A very interesting week ahead for us i think. With the uncommon track of these lows we could see some high numbers wind wise and rainfall.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

Wind has really picked up here in Waterford City the last hour or so. Currently we have an Average of 27km/h with a Max gust of 46km/h. A very interesting week ahead for us i think. With the uncommon track of these lows we could see some high numbers wind wise and rainfall.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

Peak winds on the south coast should be around 6am.

Isle of Man is under red tidal flood warnings for tomorrow.

PEKhXG5.png

http://www.gov.im/transport/floodwatch/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

putting out the bins for collection is a bit of a task these days, hoping that the rubbish will not be all over the neighborhood in the mornings, never had that problem until this year,

i am more afraid of tuesday night and friday high wind, thinking it will be more severe

goat2, location would be helpful for your observations, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

latest EURO4 actually places a small area of sustained 55mph winds on Dublin/Wicklow coast at 9am tomorrow morning.

14020309_2_0212.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some forecast for the week ahead. That low on Tues skirting by the South of the country and heading up the Irish sea must be a huge concern for both the East of Ireland and the West of England and Wales and of course the Isle of Man. The combination of the low pressure, high winds, funneling effect and relatively high tides will shove some amount of water up between the Islands. This could turn out to be a very costly time for flood damage.

After a dry cold and breezy but bright day, the rain has arrived. 4.6mm so far in North Kerry, should have a substantial amount over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The high res NMM shows some bloody nasty gusts for eastern areas during morning rush hour ��

goat2 wrote: »
    putting out the bins for collection is a bit of a task these days, hoping that the rubbish will not be all over the neighborhood in the mornings, never had that problem until this year,

i am more afraid of tuesday night and friday high wind, thinking it will be more severe

I wouldn't be afraid! For inland areas in the south/east, Tuesday night will see similar gusts to overnight tonight/early hours of the morning and on the coast around 10-15 km/h stronger. Could be a bigger coastal flooding theat but I haven't looked at the timing with the tides yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't be afraid! For inland areas in the south/east, Tuesday night will see similar gusts to overnight tonight/early hours of the morning and on the coast around 10-15 km/h stronger. Could be a bigger coastal flooding theat but I haven't looked at the timing with the tides yet.

High Tide on the east coast is 3-3:30am.

How is this thread level 1 with an Orange warning in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The positive from a flooding perspective is that the high tide marks will reduce significantly over the next week or so.
    For example, the high tide in Galway this morning was 5.6m but will decrease every day until next Saturday/Sunday where it bottoms out at 3.8m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick.

Raining with Southerly winds. Strong gusts.

With the wind from the South rather than the usual direction a whole new set of noises are making it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tactical wrote: »
    West Limerick.

Raining with Southerly winds. Strong gusts.

With the wind from the South rather than the usual direction a whole new set of noises are making it interesting.

I was thinking about that ,when the wind differs from the prevailing direction it brings a whole new set of rattles and bangs. Also I think it can lead to trees falling that would normally be sheltered or used to taking the wind from a different direction ( the roots of trees usually grow mostly towards the prevailing wind ).

Gust Today: 70.4 km/h 10:41pm

I have a feeling Eastern areas aren't expecting what's coming tonight/morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Villain wrote: »

I am. Shud be quite interesting, don't usually get an on shore gale in this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Villain wrote: »

Yup Villain as a fellow carlowvian it is gettin fair bad out there. Think the aul dog might bet to stay in tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

High tides in Dublin 2am & 2pm but the 2am high tide will be about a foot lower. Looks to me like winds will be lower by 2pm tomorrow so will probably b ok in Dublin although there is lots of rain forecast & the change in wind direction compared to Sat won't help. Would still think the bigger risks for this one are Cork & Waterford at the 7.30am high tides.

Another factor that will help is that there isn't anywhere near the storm surge swell that we had for the last 2 events on the southwest coasts

We could boost this to level 2 if mods wish, seems to be edging into that category and the Tuesday event is already worthy of level 2 anyway. Expect some wide variations Monday morning due to the interaction of the boundary layer with the mountains and also factoring in that this is partly convective/dynamic forcing not just a gradient wind. In other words, larger range of outcomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Wind increasing in dublin now. Slates on the roof starting to flap in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Winds really picking up in Tipperary.

Could anyone tell me what things are expected to be like in Blackrock, Dublin for the upcoming days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

MT if you get a chance could you do a map for Tuesdays storm like you did for Friday nights storm. it was spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

power interrupted by lightning twice here in Ballincollig. wind can be heard outside but not from inside the house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement