Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

What O Donnell said before the game was a disgrace and he should never ever be allowed to be involved with Roscommon not withstanding his inability to change things as things were unfolding on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

sting60 wrote: »
    What O Donnell said before the game was a disgrace and he should never ever be allowed to be involved with Roscommon not withstanding his inability to change things as things were unfolding on the pitch.

What did he say? Was at match so didn't hear and haven't looked back at game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rosknight

I havent heard the interview but was told about it. I was quite shocked at been told what FOD had to say but would like to get a chance to hear the interview for myself before I make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

:rolleyes:

I'd humour you but what you said is so ridiculous it doesn't warrant further discussion.

Syferus wrote: »

I'd humour you but what you said is so ridiculous it doesn't warrant further discussion.

Will you humour me and tell us what he did say before the game as I have heard quite a few talking about same.

Does anyone know why we were wearing the old loose style jersey as opposed to the tight fitting ones that all players now want to wear. Surely with all the money that the Co. Board raised this year they could have togged out our minor players for an All-Ireland Semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeah or god forbid the place might turn into a discussion board :rolleyes: If you have something that contradicts what sting says lets hear it, rather than taking cheap personal shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lord Bless us and save us.

I saw an interview with Fergie but I'm struggling to remember what was so bad about it. His usual ould guff 'ara sure we might struggle...not our strongest panel ever....yada yada' which is just his way of going on for the media, I.e. not talking up young lads chances too much. Maybe there was something else I missed...

As for the jerseys....FFS will you cop on!! I'd be as critical as anyone of the Co Board over a number of issues, but this is pure nonsense.

It says something that there is a full page of posts on here, and Sufferus posts are for once far from the most ridiculous posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Lord Bless us and save us.

I saw an interview with Fergie but I'm struggling to remember what was so bad about it. His usual ould guff 'ara sure we might struggle...not our strongest panel ever....yada yada' which is just his way of going on for the media, I.e. not talking up young lads chances too much. Maybe there was something else I missed...

As for the jerseys....FFS will you cop on!! I'd be as critical as anyone of the Co Board over a number of issues, but this is pure nonsense.

It says something that there is a full page of posts on here, and Sufferus posts are for once far from the most ridiculous posted

Same as every O'Donnell interview i thought? he likes to play the poor mouth but i reckon he says something very different in the dressing room. OTT comment to make sting60.

Roscommon underage teams have got into habit of losing games they should be winning i'm hearing this is last of the good minor crop for a few years however the u-21s should be very strong for the next two years at least.

Same as every O'Donnell interview i thought? he likes to play the poor mouth but i reckon he says something very different in the dressing room. OTT comment to make sting60.

Roscommon underage teams have got into habit of losing games they should be winning i'm hearing this is last of the good minor crop for a few years however the u-21s should be very strong for the next two years at least.

Last year's U16s won the Ted Webb shield (when the shield was of some value, as opposed to the new competition format's shields) and then played Longford in the Fr. Manning Cup final two days later in a losing effort. Whatever about how they'd have fared if they were actually in a fit shape to play the game they got there and wouldn't have been too far off the pace.

This year we were within three points of Mayo EW in the Ted Webb, who were the eventual winners. We also beat Galway City West, the better of the two Galway sides this year. The interesting thing about the Ted Webb this year was the emergence of a very good Leitrim U16 team that will make some noise in the coming years unless the established powers step up their game.

I don't think I could call what's coming though poor, there's certainly enough there to be competitive and after that a lot of it comes down to preparation and even luck. There won't be heavy expectations placed on the next couple teams but when you're running a successful program there is a standard you expect to meet each and every year.

I just wished the Co. Board stepped up to the mark a bit better with our young stars.
    Coming back to the question of the jersey's worn by our lads - while everyone may think that this in a minor issue I disagree - at a time when all players want to wear tight fitting jerseys why were our lads wearing the opposite. Were we looking for easier frees i.e. pulling of jerseys.

Also have you ever seen a team manager wearing Canterbury Track Suits on an All-Ireland Semi-Final day. Could the Co. Board not have togged out our mgmt. team and have them looking the part.

You might say these things are'nt important but image counts for a lot these days and especially in the eyes of 17-18 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

rosknight wrote: »

You might say these things are'nt important but image counts for a lot these days and especially in the eyes of 17-18 year old girls.

fixed your post for you there rosknight

You may not like it lads but as someone that is involved with underage teams for the past number of years, image plays a big part in young LADS lives and it is hard blame them when they see how teams present themselves for big games.

Its attitude's like your own (gucci) that has contributed to our teams failing to get over the line in big games. Its well time the Co. Board came up to the mark and stood by our teams when they get to big games.

Next time you in Croke Park take a look at how all squads/mgmt teams are decked out and if you see managers wearing Rugby track suits let me know.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I had a look at the photos posted on the previous page - there wasn't a lot of difference in the Kildare and the Roscommon jersies. I agree that image is a huge thing, but I don't think that was an issue here. I'd like to see photos of the lads walking into the dressing room, and see what gear they would have had on. They are player fit, you can see it with some of the armsleeves being quite tight on some of the players. Playing the game in jersies that were perfect should never be an issue, but I can imagine leisurewear can be an issue sometimes.

Just a note on the tracksuit, I know from experience that the county tracksuits that O Neills supply can be awful to wear because of the inside netting of them, whereas the Canterbury tracksuits are fleece lined, so are much nicer to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Roscommon had enough to win the game on Sunday and left it behind.I don't think there can be any excuses.
    afaik know Fergie wears the same gear that he wore when we won the title in '06.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭blowitupref

He said it wasn't fair to compare this side with 2006 All Ireland minor winning team (that he also managed) and that some good,strong players is on this current side that will go on to play senior football however for some others minor level is a far as they will go.

All true, nothing said wrong there from O'Donnell. His team lost a tightly contested semi final where the last two scores of the game won it for Tyrone. For 50 mins Roscommon were arguably the better team however the door was left open for the late rally, thats football it happens to every team. It shouldn't be forgotten Roscommon did well to beat a highly rated Kildare side in the quarter final. To suggest Fergal O'Donnell shouldn't be allowed to be involved with Roscommon football ever again is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

I cannot believe I'm lowering myself to comment on two of the above posts, but hey I'm a sucker for punishment when it comes to Roscommon!

'Sting60', I'm interested in hearing what exactly you thought was so offensive about Fergie's comments. Suggesting he should not be allowed have anything to do with a Roscommon team again is just mind-boggling..... Actually it's worse, only I can't say what I really think as the mods would ban me forever!

As for 'rosknight' blaming our jersies for losing the game - Holy Clueless, Batman!! I've read some ridiculous crap in my time but that takes the biscuit. And don't try to row back and say "that's not what I meant". You said "Its attitude's like your own (gucci) that has contributed to our teams failing to get over the line in big games".... Are you for f*cking real???? If you actually took your head out of 'Seventeen' and 'Cosmopolitan' for a few minutes and looked at the photos in this week's Roscommon papers you'll see that (barring the colour) both teams wore exactly the same type jersies. Neither of them were tight fitting!!! Using your logic the game should have ended in a draw and all subsequent replays also until one of them copped onto the magic game-winning properties of tight fitting jersies.

Actually the more I think about it, now that I've ranted, those posts have to be windups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Roscommon are developing nicely.

Two FBD games played. Good score put up v NUIG

Under 21s shaping up well after two wins in Hastings Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon are developing nicely.

Two FBD games played. Good score put up v NUIG

Under 21s shaping up well after two wins in Hastings Cup.

Dont forget NUIG played Friday night so I wasn't expecting much from them today very difficult for any team to play twice in less than 48 hrs.

All about Longford. First two league matches against the Larries and Wexford can define our season. Two wins and we should be packing our bags for Division 2 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Mighty win today, kick those mayo ****ers arses, a bit of silver wear next week will be a good start to the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Leitrim will be up for it, defending their title and nothing better to get their blood boiling than the sight of Roscommon jersies! A win would set us up nicely for the first league game in Longford.

The 90 year Carrick streak is on the line again, no?

Don't know if any previous FBD games were played in Pairc Sean, group games are invariably in club grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

AFAIK Leitrims games were in Cloone and Ballinamore.

No reason Roscommon shouldn't win on Sunday, hopefully won't be the only title we get this season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I'm quite new to here so sorry if this question has been asked before. I was just wondering after the crop of minors last year is there much more top quality young players out there at u16 level and the likes. I wouldn't really be up to date with the club game at that level

I don't know much about the underage blue giant, was a pity about last years minirs very good team and could of won it. Best of luck to the seniors tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

All about Longford. First two league matches against the Larries and Wexford can define our season. Two wins and we should be packing our bags for Division 2 next year.

A few games went out the gate in narrow defeats last year in the absence of the Brigid lads. Hopefully full squads will help kick on to Div 2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How did yas manage to lose that one today lads? I had Roscommon in a five way accumulator and yas were the only team to let me down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Lemlin wrote: »
    How did yas manage to lose that one today lads? I had Roscommon in a five way accumulator and yas were the only team to let me down!!!

Rule number 1 about betting with roscommon, never ever back us when we are odds on for a match, bound to let you down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It seems Roscommon lost the run of themselves after that win against Mayo last weekend. Most of the sides in div 3 are better than Leitrim but credit to them they love the FBD.

• Advertisement

Very disapointing, after beating mayo last week then to go and loose to bloody leitrim,

Advertisement