Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you have to get the team together to train. gym or on the field.
    plus the under 21s, minor and 16 need facilities too. as do a lot of club teams
    why we didn't beg Athlone IT to use their excellent facilities for all county teams - close to Dublin via motorway.

I still maintain there is not enough work going on with the 19 - 21 group
    compare the physique of the young Roscommon players compared to Donegal

Was this ever an option and would it still be available to the the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oh you can be damn sure it was an option - Westmeath secured a 10 year lease on the use of AIT for its' county teams. That we slept on Athlone while we seem to be making no progress building anything - the Hyde, a centre of excellence - is unforgivable.

The board isn't asleep at the wheel, they're comatose.

Syferus wrote: »
    Oh you can be damn sure it was an option - Westmeath secured a 10 year lease on the use of AIT for its' county teams. That we slept on Athlone while we seem to be making no progress building anything - the Hyde, a centre of excellence - is unforgivable.

The board isn't asleep at the wheel, they're comatose.
    Typical ,so Westmeath have it tied up for the next ten years while own a field in Oran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I don't know. As been said on here before you wouldn't know a Connacht final was held in Salthill when you arrive back into Galway city. Tuam stadium,hyde park are old grounds with plenty of character they added to the atmosphere the towns were always buzzing when a big game was on but now it seems both are unlikely to host another final.

Last time I was in Hyde for a connacht final was '07 between Galway & Sligo. And to be honest, I loved the atmosphere in the town that day. Tuam is easily a better location than Pearse in terms of atmosphere for a Connacht championship match (regardless of final or not).

I know it cant happen but if Ros were to meet Galway in connacht final this year, and Ros had home advantage, would the final be held in McHale Pk?

I don't know. As been said on here before you wouldn't know a Connacht final was held in Salthill when you arrive back into Galway city. Tuam stadium,hyde park are old grounds with plenty of character they added to the atmosphere the towns were always buzzing when a big game was on but now it seems both are unlikely to host another final.

Make no mistake - this is temporary.

The Hyde will be redeveloped and it'll only need a few stages of that to be completed before it hosts Connacht finals again. It's obviously already close enough to have hosted the last two finals so I'm afraid poor old Kramer will have to grit his teeth and attend many more Connacht finals in Roscommon town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Agree with the last couple of posts about lack of facilities in the county especially a centre of excellence, these are the kind of things that are the building blocks for future success.

Is the issue poor management and lack of forward planning or are the finances in place for such a project in light of recent difficulties balancing the books?

The Hyde will be redeveloped and it'll only need a few stages of that to be completed before it hosts Connacht finals again. It's obviously already close enough to have hosted the last two finals so I'm afraid poor old Kramer will have to grit his teeth and attend many more Connacht finals at Dr. Hyde Park.
    Hasn't the money already been granted for the redevelopment but wont be given to the county board until they sort out the issues with the Gaels?

Anyone know what the plans are for the redevelopment?

Agree with the last couple of posts about lack of facilities in the county especially a centre of excellence, these are the kind of things that are the building blocks for future success.

Is the issue poor management and lack of forward planning or are the finances in place for such a project in light of recent difficulties balancing the books?

The problem is The County Board are a pack of useless ***** .

We're not even really in any major debt - John Murphy's €1m emergency loan was paid off with funds from Croke Park and we've been whittling that down ever since.

Mayo are in debt to the tune of €11m but can afford to take the entire panel to Miami with their full-time trainer and they don't skip a beat.

The reality is we need both better fundraising and better vision - we'll need to incur some debt to fix the big issues facing the county - but it is possible with good leadership. Football is a religion here and tapping into the diaspora would make a start at amassing a war chest.

For the love of God I just hope this is the wake-up call we needed because if not we unlikely of ever becoming a consistent force at senior again.

We're not even really in any major debt - John Murphy's €1m emergency loan was paid off with funds from Croke Park and we've been whittling that down ever since.

Mayo are in debt to the tune of €11m but can afford to take the entire panel to Miami with their full-time trainer and they don't skip a beat.

The reality is we need both better fundraising and better vision - we'll need to incur some debt to fix the big issues facing the county - but it is possible with good leadership. Football is a religion here and tapping into the diaspora would make a start at amassing a war chest.

For the love of God I just hope this is the wake-up call we needed because if not we unlikely of ever becoming a consistent force at senior again.
    I think this is a major problem,it always seems to be a case of the county board selling €100 tickets for a draw .Surely they can look around other counties and see how successful counties do things.
    I wonder did they make any money out of the concert that was there about 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭naughto

The Hyde will be redeveloped and it'll only need a few stages of that to be completed before it hosts Connacht finals again. It's obviously already close enough to have hosted the last two finals so I'm afraid poor old Kramer will have to grit his teeth and attend many more Connacht finals in Roscommon town.
    the only good thing about Hyde park is the bar thats in side the gates and even that it needs a good lick of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mr Guinness.

All ye rossies will be down in castlebar on Sunday for a sing song and a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I don't know reading between the lines of statement you posted it seems a number of issues has to resolved and that could take many years. By that time Salthill,McHale park could have deal signed for all Connacht finals.

Neither is going to be allowed to have all finals, no matter how much Prenty wants everything in McHale.

Simple maths tells you that will never happen - Roscommon, Leitrim and Sligo will vote it down if it ever comes up, just as they have done on similar issues in the past.

Unless Prenty is going to given London and New York votes he's still screwed long term. The Gaels-Hyde ownership issue has rumbled on so long this is likely the moment that pushes it out of the way once and for all. The deal was pretty much sealed a couple years ago.

This development has hurt the Hyde and the three counties who use it for Connacht finals in the short term but it'll almost surely mean the renovation of the Hyde will happen sooner than it otherwise would have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

"Ye haven't a hope of baitin Mayo"

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Great piece in the independant saying we might be the next donegal, just hope we play nicer football then them. I hoping for a close one today and who knows what might happen,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Great piece in the independant saying we might be the next donegal, just hope we play nicer football then them. I hoping for a close one today and who knows what might happen,

Donegal hurling team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Don't think I'll bother reading that! Sounds like a load of nonsense based on today's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The article was about Cathal Cregg, so it was a Roscommon player who actually made the reference to the fact Roscommon could draw paralells with Donegal.

What he was smoking, I have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rossie1977 wrote: »
    proof is not one team winning an all-ireland, you can't call munster the strongest because kerry wins loads of all-irelands, nobody outside of cork have beaten kerry in decades, nobody is close to dublin right now in leinster

back then roscommon, mayo, galway were all very close and sligo were not far behind if they preformed on the day

mayo reached all ireland finals in 1996-97, galway knocked out mayo in first round 1998, galway should have been knocked out themselves by roscommon that year only the ref gave them a free which should never have been in injury time, again in the replay roscommon were leading by a couple of points coming towards the end and a bad mistake by roscommon goalkeeper in extra time cost them that game, galway blowing away the ulster and leinster champions after that, in 1999 sligo brought the then all ireland champions to a replay, mayo knocking them out, 2000 galway again reached the A-I final with leitrim beating roscommon and sligo beating mayo, 2001 roscommon knocked galway out first round only for galway to come back and win the whole thing

Galway were 2 points up in extra time in that replay and looked to have it under control when the keeper made the mistake and finished it completely. It was a free the drawn game also. There was numerous soft frees which Lohan converted earlier in that match also. No way they 'should' have been knocked out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cathal cregg should learn not to constantly run into fellas and lose the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Geez, Roscommon were really a big disappointment for me today. Kilbride was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Shambles, and they should be ashamed of themselves, and the worst thing was the Mayo people around were saying that mayo was playing **** so we are way off the pace, hard to take positives apart from the first minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Geez, Roscommon were really a big disappointment for me today. Kilbride was terrible.

Have to say I've never got the fuss about Senan Kilbride. Not at the highest level anyway. His non-involvement in the game was about the least surprising thing about the whole match. He has never done anything much against Mayo. Would he even make the current Mayo panel?

I thought Roscommon came with a game plan and gave it a good go for 20 minutes. After that I think they knew themselves they weren't going to win. I don't think they could have done much more, that's just where they are at in terms of ability relative to Mayo. If they played the game every day for the next week I'd expect a similar outcome each time.

Roscommon shouldn't fear any Division two team in the qualifiers - not a lot between the Division 2, 3 and a couple of the Division 4 teams this year. I doubt it will be eight division one teams in the quarters, so there's a chance for one or two others to make it. If Ros can keep their players in the country it could as easily be them as anyone else.

FFS, don't go out trying to character assassinate a single payer on a team that lost by 12 - you could choose just about any player and make the same muck stick. Everyone played poorly.

Senan committed to the panel when he's been playing football non-stop for thee and a half years. He deserved a break and no one would have begrudged him it if he took it as Domo did after the club AI final. Any forward that gets the ball he was given isn't going to look good.

Poor form, Cosmos.

I'm not judging him on one game Syferus. Not trying to assassinate his character or anything like that, just giving my view on his footballing ability - I don't think he is anything like as good as he is made out to be. I had formed that opinion long before today. Has a habit of going missing against better teams. I do accept your point though that it was harder for him to look good today in the circumstances - but I think a real top class forward, someone like Emlyn Mulligan or a fully fit Donie Shine, two players who I really rate, would still have managed to stand out regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I'm not judging him on one game Syferus. Not trying to assassinate his character or anything like that, just giving my view on his footballing ability - I don't think he is anything like as good as he is made out to be. I had formed that opinion long before today. Has a habit of going missing against better teams. I do accept your point though that it was harder for him to look good today in the circumstances - but I think a real top class forward, someone like Emlyn Mulligan or a fully fit Donie Shine, two players who I really rate, would still have managed to stand out regardless.

Absolute búllshít, I'm sorry Cosmo but that is completely wrong. He was St.Brigids' best player throughout Connacht and arguably in the All-Ireland final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Irish94 wrote: »
    Absolute búllshít, I'm sorry Cosmo but that is completely wrong. He was St.Brigids' best player throughout Connacht and arguably in the All-Ireland final.

This keeps getting mentioned, people need to realise that club football is nowhere near the level of intercounty football, even at the business end of the club championship.

Kilbride is a good player, however i'd argue he even went missing in all of Brigids bigger games in the provincial stages of the club championship barring the final this year when he finally put in a good shift. Even his own club men admit this.

He was poor today, its been a long season for him though in fairness. Hes nowhere near as bad as some as the critics make out, but he also certainly not an elite level forward either.

Irish94 wrote: »

You can't judge him at the highest level based on club games, I'm sure he's very good for his club. I'm talking about top level inter county. There may be valid arguments against my opinion, but his St Brigid's form isn't one.

Also, to be fair to him, its not like he's going around making out he's some kind of footballing legend or anything, it is others that build him up to be better than he is. Then, when he doesn't reach that level, he gets criticized which is harsh. My criticism would be aimed more at those that overrate him than at the lad himself. I'm sure he is doing his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Have to say I've never got the fuss about Senan Kilbride. Not at the highest level anyway. His non-involvement in the game was about the least surprising thing about the whole match. He has never done anything much against Mayo. Would he even make the current Mayo panel?

I thought Roscommon came with a game plan and gave it a good go for 20 minutes. After that I think they knew themselves they weren't going to win. I don't think they could have done much more, that's just where they are at in terms of ability relative to Mayo. If they played the game every day for the next week I'd expect a similar outcome each time.

Kilbride is clearly a confidence player and to get the best out of him at county level i feel he needs to be playing on confident team and one that wins more often than Roscommon. The current Mayo team would certainly get the best out of him.

You are right Roscommon came with good game plan was 3-2 after 20 minutes? however for some reason they just stopped using that game plan that was working and the rest of the game it was stroll for Mayo.

Advertisement