Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Leitrim are more than capable of beating Ross in May. Can Cregg keep this current good form going into the summer?

In no particular order the top 10 is

Dublin
    Tyrone
    Mayo
    Kildare
    Cork
    Kerry
    Derry
    Down
    Donegal
    Monaghan

Its over 10 years since Roscommon were considered an top 10 team. With the underage talent coming through maybe John Evans has set his target on reaching that top ten?

Without poo-pooing your poo-pooing, Leitrim aren't capable of living with any team that played like we did the last two days. They're a January team and not much more right now. Lest we forget what happened after last season's strong start.

Like us, getting up a division should be all they are worrying about.

Oh, and Cregg has been an All-Ireland class player for half a decade, it's just that now he's the centrepiece of the attack the general public are noticing how good he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Says the master of the poo-pooing.

The troubles Leitrim had under Barney Breen was well documented last year. Better manager now with a full panel to choose from and its into March now Leitrim are unbeaten in 7 games and on course for promotion even if they don't achieve that they won't have any fear traveling to Hyde park this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Why is this being made about Leitrim? We know Leitrim relish coming down to The Hyde, we know they'll have no fear. The same can be said of any Leitrim team coming up against any Ros team, be it Championship, League or FBD. There are 4 rounds of the NFL to be played before that.

Getting out of Div 3 would be great but I wouldn't call it a massive bonus - on paper we should be pushing for promotion, I genuinely think we are the best team in the Division this year. If we can grab a win against Fermanagh next Sunday, I'd expect us to go up. Roscommon need to be playing Division 2 football if the county is to kick on and try to fulfil some of the potential we've seen glimpses of in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do Leitrim relish coming to the Hyde ?How many times have they beat us there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cregg is becoming more noticeable now because he's the focal of a lot of the attacks. In years before when he was HF he'd be doing so much work around midfield he wasn't able to get forward as much.

7 points from play on Sunday, good standard by any measure

• Advertisement

Of course they do, Leitrim love a good crack off the Rossies. I would suggest that their record against us there isn't great (its actually worse in Carrick if I'm not mistaken) but they've had their days.

Of course they do, Leitrim love a good crack off the Rossies. I would suggest that their record against us there isn't great (its actually worse in Carrick if I'm not mistaken) but they've had their days.

Yeah its worse in Carrick something like 90 years since they beat us there but it is very poor in the Hyde as well.I think I remember them beating us twice in twenty+ years. They might like having a crack at us but they aren't too successful at it.
    I would have no fear of facing them come May.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yeah its worse in Carrick something like 90 years since they beat us there but it is very poor in the Hyde as well.I think I remember them beating us twice in twenty+ years. They might like having a crack at us but they aren't too successful at it.
    I would have no fear of facing them come May.

I wouldn't have any fear of them either, Ros are the stronger county and with all due respect, should be confident of beating Leitrim any time they play them. Roscommon's good record against Leitrim shows that they have had the right attitude going into most games against them - but if they take their eye off the ball they could be punished. One game at a time.

The focus for now should be on Fermanagh and gaining promotion to D2. Fermanagh beat us last year up there and were 12 points up on us at one stage in that game so it'll be a tough test, another 2 points in the bag and 2 winnable home games ahead should be enough to secure a promotion place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Leitrim are more than capable of beating Ross in May. Can Cregg keep this current good form going into the summer?

In no particular order the top 10 is

Dublin
    Tyrone
    Mayo
    Kildare
    Cork
    Kerry
    Derry
    Down
    Donegal
    Monaghan

Its over 10 years since Roscommon were considered an top 10 team. With the underage talent coming through maybe John Evans has set his target on reaching that top ten?

Take out Dublin and Kerry and it's not so long ago since Ross would fancy their chances against the rest of those in the championship and would run any of them in the league at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Take out Dublin and Kerry and it's not so long ago since Ross would fancy their chances against the rest of those in the championship and would run any of them in the league at home.

Dead right, id fancy us again kerry on currant form too, we could surprise a few people in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Dead right, id fancy us again kerry on currant form too, we could surprise a few people in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Just told my PA to cancel all appointments in September!

lads ye are jumping the gun a fair bit.I have seen Roscommon a few times this year and they have been OK on some occasions and other times look poor.Still a long way to go,still very inconsistent.

It's great to get some decent results and the last 2 games have seen an improvement but its div3 football at the end of the day.

Hopefully as the year progresses we continue on an upward curve and go into the summer in good shape.

Is it next wednesday the U21's are playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

lads ye are jumping the gun a fair bit.I have seen Roscommon a few times this year and they have been OK on some occasions and other times look poor.Still a long way to go,still very inconsistent.

It's great to get some decent results and the last 2 games have seen an improvement but its div3 football at the end of the day.

Hopefully as the year progresses we continue on an upward curve and go into the summer in good shape.

Ros for Sam 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Only the few usual suspects that are jumping the gun, i think most realise that Ross are work in progress and remain inconsistent

U21 game is on Wednesday night 12th March. Evan Regan,Adam Gallagher are in flying form and Ross will have to be good defensively to stop them.

looks like the issue of ownership of the Hyde will be sorted next week.Seems like the county board and Roscommon Gaels have settled their differences and the Gaels will vote at the EGM to transfer ownership to the county board.

If it happens it will be great news and the ground will be able to get the badly needed upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

looks like the issue of ownership of the Hyde will be sorted next week.Seems like the county board and Roscommon Gaels have settled their differences and the Gaels will vote at the EGM to transfer ownership to the county board.

If it happens it will be great news and the ground will be able to get the badly needed upgrades.

where will the gaels play football.

i hope they get new toilet facilites

where will the gaels play football.

i hope they get new toilet facilites

at their ground in lisnamult and I presume one of the conditions is the Gaels will get to use the Hyde for matches.
    Supposedly the Hyde will close this year for around 18 months to be redeveloped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think there was any differences between the Gaels and the county board.

Just the solicitors were haggling over legal stuff.
    Both parties wanted this sorted out.

The Gaels have run the ground with no cost to the county board for decades.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

There was a few conditions to be agreed on afaik but nothing major.

• Advertisement

The cost to the county has been beyond massive.

Probably the most shameful saga in Roscommon GAA history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Syferus wrote: »
    The cost to the county has been beyond massive.

Probably the most shameful saga in Roscommon GAA history.

Really?
    Botched centre of excellence in Kilbride?
    Huge deficit built up with nothing to show for it?
    County panel disbanded?

Really?
    Botched centre of excellence in Kilbride?
    Huge deficit built up with nothing to show for it?
    County panel disbanded?

I don't think Kilbride was ever gonna be a centre of excellence. A place in Oran is/was earmarked for that. The county board was offered AIT facilities but instead we have a field in Oran that will be developed.
    The county board are beyond a joke. Ownership of the Hyde is probably the biggest **** up tho. The dogs in the street knew there was an issue but the county board only tried to resolve this when pressure was put on them by croke park and it has still taken about ten years to be sorted. In that time the ground has fell apart , we have the worst ground in Connacht now .The Hyde is the provincial grond but isnt capable of holding the Connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

I don't think Kilbride was ever gonna be a centre of excellence. A place in Oran is/was earmarked for that. The county board was offered AIT facilities but instead we have a field in Oran that will be developed.
    The county board are beyond a joke. Ownership of the Hyde is probably the biggest **** up tho. The dogs in the street knew there was an issue but the county board only tried to resolve this when pressure was put on them by croke park and it has still taken about ten years to be sorted. In that time the ground has fell apart , we have the worst ground in Connacht now .The Hyde is the provincial grond but isnt capable of holding the Connacht final.

i think if a centre of excellance is been erected it should be assesable to

all clubs . Oran is too far down for the Northern clubs of the county.

I think the centre of excellance should be in Tulsk or Strokestown where

all clubs are within a workable distance.

i think if a centre of excellance is been erected it should be assesable to

all clubs . Oran is too far down for the Northern clubs of the county.

I think the centre of excellance should be in Tulsk or Strokestown where

all clubs are within a workable distance.

Pearses is a workable distance from Tulsk by your own measure above?

Oran is as central a location as there is in the county. I live in the north of the county and I know very well how far Oran is from any given area in the county; I can't fathom the point you've just made.

The land has been bought in Oran for years (and at a pretty penny too) so if you think it's even up for change you're mistaken I'm afraid.

The Connacht GAA COE is only a stone's throw from the north of the county too.

Syferus wrote: »
    Pearses is a workable distance from Tulsk by your own measure above?

Oran is as central a location as there is in the county. I live in the north of the county and I know very well how far Oran is from any given area in the county; I can't fathom the point you've just made.

The land has been bought in Oran for years (and at a pretty penny too) so if you think it's even up for change you're mistaken I'm afraid.

The Connacht GAA COE is only a stone's throw from the north of the county too.

agree with you on Oran ,as good a location as any.Do you think this centre will ever be built?less said about it the better but awful waste of money building the pitch in Kilbride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Shouldn't any centre of excellence just piggy back on Strokestowns facilities Accessible n already at a good standard Plus it would create a serious rival to Brigids surely in Strokestown club itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

You are right the ground was let to rot the last ten or so years and is probably the worst ground in Connacht now however wasn't it capable of hosting the 2011,2012 provincial finals?

You are right the ground was let to rot the last ten or so years and is probably the worst ground in Connacht now however wasn't it capable of hosting the 2011,2012 provincial finals?
    It held both but has since been deemed unfit for the final and wont hold another one until the ground is upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

It held both but has since been deemed unfit for the final and wont hold another one until the ground is upgraded.

It was deemed unfit by the very report that was used to deem it unfit before the 2012 Connacht Final. The relevant changes (the seriousness of which were laugably overstated by the crooks called Health & Safety) were made and it was deemed fit. The match was held and wonder of wonder nobody died!!! What a miracle!! However, last year that very same report was used as the excuse for not holding the Connacht final despite the fact that it was perfectly ok the year before.

Go figure what dodginess was behind that one.

Advertisement