Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

• 14-06-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mod: No spoilers for future episodes (even in spoiler tags). It's just common courtesy, guys. Not everyone wants to know what is going to happen.

There will be cards for anyone who ignores this warning.

Source

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are coming to
    HBO.

The premium cable network has released
    the first teaser for True Detective, an eight-episode drama series, starring
    McConaughey and Harrelson as two detectives investigating a
    murder.

In True Detective, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin
    Hart (Harrelson)'s lives become entangled while searching for a serial killer in
    Louisiana.

Nic Pizzolatto penned the project with Jane Eyre's Cary
    Fukunaga directing. Should True Detective continue past the first season, the
    idea is to introduce a new mystery with a new cast of characters, a la American
    Horror Story.

McConaughey has been on a role lately with his roles and Harrelson always delivers, seems it wont be shown until 2014 though :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A full trailer has appeared for this and it looks like a good 'un. It's astonishing to think McConaughey was effectively written off as a legitimate acting talent only a few short years ago. He seems to have turned things around and started taking his craft seriously. As with a lot of these prestige HBO shows, this one looks like quality:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I cannot wait for this! Right up my alley. Agreed on Matthew McConaughey... he has completely turned his career around. I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen him in Mud to watch it asap. Fantastic film!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

looks like it will be a good show, love the 2 leads (who doesnt really:)), odd that its only an 8 episode season, but im sure Game of Thrones will be hot on the heels of the last episode,

i do wonder if its going to be designed as a multi-season show, i wouldnt have pegged the 2 boys to commit to a possible 5-6 years contract for a tv show, their not exactly lacking in film offers like,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Looking forward to this. HBO usually delivers. Trailer looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

True Detective starts in the US on Sunday, January 12 on HBO. I'm looking forward to seeing this. Looks good.

New trailer

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a527146/harrelson-and-mcconaugheys-true-detective-on-hbo-new-trailer.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ads for this just starting on Sky Atlantic. Looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Starting in February on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Finally something worth watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Saw the first episode - very very promising stuff indeed. Slow moving, good acting, all the hallmarks of another great HBO series.

Saw the first episode - very very promising stuff indeed. Slow moving, good acting, all the hallmarks of another great HBO series.

Really couldnt have said it any better! Should we get a spoilers note added to the title?

McConaughey was brilliant, his character is unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I liked it, wish it was made by Netflix so I could watch all of them in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

That was one of the best pilot episodes i've seen. Hopefully the rest of the series maintains that standard.

I'm not sure if any of you watch Hannibal but this is sort on that vein but way way better

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Very promising start.

Is the season only 8 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Good start.
    Wonder if Marty is aware of the new case since he's picking up on them suspecting Rust of something.

And when the opening theme started I thought they were using the music from Crime Story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Excellent first episode, and certainly looks promising.

I don't think Marty knows at all.

McConaughey looks like a middle aged woman in the 1995 scenes

matthew-mcconaughey-true-detectives-set-break.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Once he sent the detective for a 6 pack and explained his off-day habits I was hooked. Can't see stars this size staying around for a muliti-season run but I reckon its going to to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Once he sent the detective for a 6 pack and explained his off-day habits I was hooked. Can't see stars this size staying around for a muliti-season run but I reckon its going to to be good.

Woody is a producer so he'll stay put. Not sure about Matthew McConaughey.
    TV is the place to be these days so I'd say it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Can't see stars this size staying around for a muliti-season run but I reckon its going to to be good.
    Woody is a producer so he'll stay put. Not sure about Matthew McConaughey.
    TV is the place to be these days so I'd say it will be fine.

They won't be, it's going to be a "hybrid-anthology" series: each season will tell a self-contained story, with unique characters that don't carry over from season to season. It's an interesting idea that has been working for American Horror Story.

I saw this somewhere
    McConaughey and Harrelson aren’t at a stage of their careers where they would commit to four or five years of an ongoing show, but ask for only five months of their time and two characters this rich, and you can get them. And because the actors won’t be sticking around, Pizzolatto is able to take every last interesting scrap of each character, and of this case, and squeeze it all into only eight episodes that feel incredibly dense with event and meaning, even at times when Rust and Marty are making fairly slow progress in their investigation.

Thats good news on both fronts. The show has potentially got legs and we won't have the usual "Big Hollywood stars don't die / go bad" cliche. Given that Woody Harrelson never had to work again after Cheers he's having an amazing career and as for McConaughy (the rebooted version)...who would have thought ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

McConaughy looks remarkably like Joey Quinn from Dexter in this.

Saison-5-Dexter-Joey-Quinn-enquete-sur-Dexter_reference.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

yes a new HBO that I never heard of until now

getting from my cousins as I type this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Don't know how I feel about it. Really well acted but some of McConaughey's nihilist monologues felt very trite. But maybe that was on purpose considering how irate Woody Harrelson's character gets at him for it.

Nihilism is a handy wind-up tool. Beats talking about the weather. Turns the car into a spiritual talk-free zone in no time flat. Leaves time for beers and ludes with the ladies on your off-days. God bless nihilism and all who sail in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

jasus just watched the pilot, great stuff

think i may have to rewatch it though to completely understood the narrative, as I think I missed a lot of the subtlety on my first viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Brilliant first episode. Has the potential to be really rather special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have decided not to watch this until the season is over so I can watch it in one go, it sounds exceptionally promising and right up my street

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have decided not to watch this until the season is over so I can watch it in one go, it sounds exceptionally promising and right up my street

I'd do that if I had any self-control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

watched it last night very good show.
    am also watching lilyhammer another good show

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1958961/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Excellent pilot episode. Looking forward to more but disappointed to hear McConaughey won't be staying on.

Advertisement