Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Keno wrote: »
    but disappointed to hear McConaughey won't be staying on.
    This. What a turnaround for an actor - I once would have avoided films with his name on it and now I'm actively interested in works he's doing. I can't think of any other actors where my perceptions of them have changed so radically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Keno wrote: »
    Excellent pilot episode. Looking forward to more but disappointed to hear McConaughey won't be staying on.
    well its kind of hard to expect a man of his acting ability to stick around the small screen, no matter how good it is, the creators said it themselves that you couldnt get the two of them for 4-6 years, but 6 months thats a completely different story,

they should get Christoph Waltz and Cristian Bale for season 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Both McConaughey and Harrelson are executive producers so they are heavily invested in the show, but will only be playing characters for the 1st season. This definitely has the potential to be amazing. I was really impressed with the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

don ramo wrote: »
    they should get Christoph Waltz and Cristian Bale for season 2 :)

Agreed on Waltz....but please God NOT Bale. Jeff Daniels might be free for a few months now that the Newsroom has shut up shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

2nd episode certainly keeping up the quality - this lives up to expectations no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

It was strange going from Sherlock to this. Made me realise how daft Sherlock really is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Agreed on Waltz....but please God NOT Bale. Jeff Daniels might be free for a few months now that the Newsroom has shut up shop.
    thats the great thing about it, they can get anyone, and with the 2 boys getting it off the ground more might just wanna try it out,

i wonder would the 2 of them be dropped as EPs after season 1, sometimes they give the actors EP status so that they can pay them more,

anyway another brilliant episode, its brilliant when you come across a show where even though your watching it, it almost seems like your missing a lot of it, i watch a lot of procedurals and im well used to kind of half watching them as i do something else, but this is one of them shows where you have give you full attention to, always great to come across shows like this,

+1. I'm certainly loving Woody's secret to a happy marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Damn good show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Very impressed with the first couple episodes, Woody doesnt have a lot to work with with his character, but McConnaughey really has a doozy there to play with and is doing a fine job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Excellent 2 episodes so far, really enjoying McConnaughey 2.0 these recent years. This time 5 years ago he was seen as a rom-com, always-has-his-top-off joke but lately he's churning out great stuff.

I like the slow yet trance-like speed it's going at so to allow you to soak up the characters and the story.

Really hope it keeps up the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

That was great. Funny to think that people thought Breaking Bad would be the apex of TV fiction. Best thing I've watched in ages, feels like a novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Just watched the first episode on the advice of my brother, and about to settle into the second shortly. Was completely transfixed by the pilot. Probably the best pilot I've seen since The Sopranos. Loving how meandering and multi-layered the plot is already. Like someone said though, I think I'll have to rewatch the episodes again just to make sure I'm catching everything, even the accent is sometimes difficult to understand at times. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant, which I'm surprising myself by saying, as I usually hate him. It's kind of reminding me of The Wire in a sense - very dialogue heavy and slow-paced, which I like.

Looking forward to the rest of it now.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This is potentially one of the best mini series out there if the standard so far keeps up. I can't wait to see where this is going, superb acting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

All i can add is that i agree with pretty much everything else said above, super, super show so far and McConaughey and Woody work brilliantly opposite one another.

I'm sad to hear its a mini series and that the two leads will be leaving after the first series?!! Is it only going to be one series? How many episodes in this series?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm sad to hear its a mini series and that the two leads will be leaving after the first series?!! Is it only going to be one series? How many episodes in this series?
    8 episodes in the first series ,there will be more seasons but it will be different characters and story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Brilliant so far. Just wish it was a Netflix job, cant be doing with this waiting for the next one each week!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I presume this is coming to Sky Atlantic? Any idea when?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I presume this is coming to Sky Atlantic? Any idea when?

February 22nd. Seriously, it took just five seconds to Google it..

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Brilliant so far. Just wish it was a Netflix job, cant be doing with this waiting for the next one each week!

I like these Sunday HBO shows that are only available to us on Monday. Makes me look forward to Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Grimebox wrote: »
    I like these Sunday HBO shows that are only available to us on Monday. Makes me look forward to Monday

aye, not just HBO in fairness. Breaking Bad wasn't HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great show so far! Making Mondays easier to get through knowing there's an episode to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Alexandra Daddario.... no other words need to be uttered.
    the show is absolutely brilliant as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fantastic show. The setting in south louisina is brilliant and sets a very creepy and dark tone to the show

Episode 3: Very slow burning episode. However I don't think the Woodman and McConaughey were actually talking about moving lawns and who gets to play with the garden implements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Their relationship is comical at times, very chalk and cheese! That scene at the end was haunting, almost texas chainsaw massacre-ish

Am I the only one thinking that if one of them is being investigated in the present day, its Woody. McConaughey is as sane as a razors edge even tanked up on hipflasks and beer. Woody is in his Sunday psycho best.
    Maybe its that McConaughey has only ever played Good(ish) guys whereas I'm of an age to remember Natural Born Killers.
    Three down ... five to go and I'm still loving this one. Even talkin' Texan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah it looks more like it could be woody thats the one being investigated unless there is a murder spree they need to understand by questioning them about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

another good episode. Loved that last scene.

Advertisement