Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Caught up with Episode 4 last night....amazing stuff at the end. McConaughey and Harrelson deserve whatever awards are coming their way, as do the show's creators. I loved that last scene in Episode 4...it was genuinely chilling.

The wide, eerie expanses of Louisiana are a film-maker's dream. The only issue I have is that I'm finding it hard to take in some of what's being said due to the accents. A proper sound system for my TV would sort that out hopefully!

If this was being shown in the cinema I'd gladly keep handing over my cash every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

kryogen wrote: »
    With him, the talent has always been there, you can see it in some of his early work. For whatever reason he just kept taking horrible roles in awful films, maybe they were paying the most money and now he is at a stage of his career when he wants to think about his legacy and do projects he actually cares about and can get stuck into on an artistic level

He’s actually been really good in lesser known films like Thirteen Conversations about one thing, Mud and Frailty.
    I thought he was hilarious as the agent in Tropic Thunder, more memorable for me than Tom Cruise.

(Tugg (After killing a Panda): I killed one, Rick. The thing I love most in the world.

Rick: Vivica, get off the line now! A hooker. All right, you killed a hooker. Calm down. Here's what you're gonna do. Get your hands on some bleach, some hydrogen peroxide and a ****load of lime.

For the next series, with him and Harrelson standing down, I’d love to see them resurrect the career of a certain Edward Norton

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

D-FENS wrote: »
    He’s actually been really good in lesser known films like Thirteen Conversations about one thing, Mud and Frailty.
    I thought he was hilarious as the agent in Tropic Thunder, more memorable for me than Tom Cruise.

(Tugg (After killing a Panda): I killed one, Rick. The thing I love most in the world.

Rick: Vivica, get off the line now! A hooker. All right, you killed a hooker. Calm down. Here's what you're gonna do. Get your hands on some bleach, some hydrogen peroxide and a ****load of lime.

For the next series, with him and Harrelson standing down, I’d love to see them resurrect the career of a certain Edward Norton

With the acclaim this one has been getting, I'd imagine they will have their pick of the a listers. Would be good to get a male/female combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

This show is a real game changer. Absolutely amazing and deserving of all the praise it's getting. Just finished Episode 4, heart is still thumping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Astounding show. Utterly mesmerising. Thematic elements, dialogue, acting are almost flawless. This is top quality cinema on television. In terms of mini series it is definitely up there with The Corner and better on a lot of fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

probalby in the minority here but thought it was very slow and if the two main characters weren't hollywood A listers it would struggle for renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

probalby in the minority here but thought it was very slow and if the two main characters weren't hollywood A listers it would struggle for renewal.

Almost any top show could be construed as "slow". If you can invest yourself in the character and the world it will no longer appear like that. I hang on their every word so it cannot possibly be slow for me.

As of hollywood A listers propping up this show...? I'm not even going to bite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deaglain.12

Absolutely love this show!
    It really looks like the real deal. McConaugh and harrelson are fantastic and that 6 minute shot in episode 4 was unbelievable. Already thinking about what actors will be the leads in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Loving this so far - third episode down.
    Acting is fantastic. Writing is brilliant. Locations are stunning.
    So quotable too!

5M7Ckz7.png

The lads aren't back for the second season? Ah come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

So quotable too! http://i.imgur.com/5M7Ckz7.png

To be honest, it can only be a good thing, their performance will go down as stunning(as long as the remaining episodes are as good, which I think they will be).

It will also give other high profile actors a chance to work with the same writers/directors and also keep the story fresh.

I can't wait till the season is finished, will watch the whole thing again, sublime stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

McConaughey and Harrelson deserve whatever awards are coming their way, as do the show's creators.

That's going to be tricky. Two male co-leads, both equally deserving. Who gets the nomination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Finally got around to watching the latest episode. Absolutely unbelievable stuff. The sequence of events in the projects is possibly the best 10 minutes (or so) of television I've ever watched. The tension is just absolutely through the roof. The way you could just see it all escalating as they were losing control of the situation in the house. It actually felt quite Grand Theft Auto-esque to me - a kind of first person feel to it, helicopters over head, bullets flying every which way, people being killed left, right and centre. It also reminded me a little of Children of Men. Definitely think the director is taking a leaf out of Alfonso Cuaron's book. The chaos was just captured perfectly. The sound editing is fantastic too, it really brings you into Rust's experience - the ringing in his ears from gunfire, the pulsating bass of the music at the biker club (or whatever it is), the muffled voices. Really great use of sound in this episode.

It's easily the best thing on television right now, and it's definitely rivalling Breaking Bad for me, even at this early stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's easily the best thing on television right now, and it's definitely rivalling Breaking Bad for me, even at this early stage.

Easily, and a damn good thing that it's only 8 Episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So quotable too! http://i.imgur.com/5M7Ckz7.png

HBO said there was no way they could Harrelson and McConaughey for more than six months so if it gets another series it would have to be with different actors.

Same guy has written season 2 and they are going to be able to get great actors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

HBO said there was no way they could Harrelson and McConaughey for more than six months so if it gets another series it would have to be with different actors.

Same guy has written season 2 and they are going to be able to get great actors anyway.
    the bolocks about it is that of by chance the lads wanted to do another season, there simply is no way to do it, but i think the fact that the case is spread over a 17 year period and their showing what happened back then and the interviews now is what make the show so damn good,

i have to rewatch episode 4, got distracted multiple times while watching it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think it's great that they can't stick around. Too often a great story has been ruined by it going on too long (Homeland, Breaking Bad, Dexter).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

don ramo wrote: »

i have to rewatch episode 4, got distracted multiple times while watching it:mad:

I'm going to re-watch all 4 eps with my wife as she found the accents hard to follow in places. Gonna watch it with subtitles so she can follow everything

I'm going to re-watch all 4 eps with my wife as she found the accents hard to follow in places. Gonna watch it with subtitles so she can follow everything

If you find subtitles... let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Grimebox wrote: »

It's not that bad is it? Finding them very easy to understand.

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's not that bad is it? Finding them very easy to understand.

Honestly, there was a few situations where I'd even replay the same part a few times and I still don't know what they are saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Honestly, there was a few situations where I'd even replay the same part a few times and I still don't know what they are saying

Fair enough! Part of the charm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ah I'm grand following it, poor Mrs googled eyes has a bit of trouble.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss accessing subtitle files here though?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well there's an interesting article here, which details the show's reference to the Yellow King (in some of the note books). It was a story from 1895, and latter incorporated into HP Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos covering how great evil corrupts the mind entirely - which is something it looks like we're going to see.
    Worth a read!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ha I was the same for parts of it. Think it's a combination of the accents and Ruste talking in that numbly drawl all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

snausages wrote: »
    I think it's great that they can't stick around. Too often a great story has been ruined by it going on too long (Homeland, Breaking Bad, Dexter).

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Syferus wrote: »
    There's always one.

thats hardly the first mention of it??? must be a record for tv discussion thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

don ramo wrote: »
    the bolocks about it is that of by chance the lads wanted to do another season, there simply is no way to do it

Sure there is. On American Horror Story they recast many of the same actors in multiple seasons, playing completely different roles. If Harrelson or McConaughey are willing to come back in some future season, they can just play new characters in a new story.

Most likely they'll be able to attract other A-listers to star in future seasons after this precedent has been set. It's a lot easier to book a film actor for a few months of a single season than it would be to get them to commit to a single role for an indefinite number of years. The anthology format may allow them to continue to attract high level talent for limited, self contained stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Loved the first 4 episodes.

Really think Matthew McConaughey is the glue in this series. He is out of the world in the majority of his scenes. The show also has some brilliant one liners, The Sopranos had them with Paulie as did The Wire with Omar etc....

The world would defo be a much sadder place without HBO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

A really intriguing read into the appearance of The King in Yellow in episode two. Kind of explains a few of the things we've been seeing. Haven't read it myself but very interesting all the same.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Watched the first episode of this off sky on demand. Can't find the next episodes anywhere, when and where is this being showed?

Advertisement