Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There are no yardsticks when it comes to brain injuries. Too complex, too random and too varied.
    All we can do is wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

There are no yardsticks when it comes to brain injuries. Too complex, too random and too varied.
    All we can do is wait

Yeah we'd all like some answers or prognosis but at the end of the day until Schumi wakes up it's all speculation. It's tough for his fans but all we can do is keep our fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

KarlFitz01 wrote: »

Three words I would like to highlight from that article: "Experts have speculated ...". These so called experts are not directly involved in Schumi's care, and right now, speculating is all they are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This article is dated yesterday too and none of the other newsagents have picked it up. Not dismissing it but hopefully it is just a tabloid publishing gossip and rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This article is dated yesterday too and none of the other newsagents have picked it up. Not dismissing it but hopefully it is just a tabloid publishing gossip and rumours.
    Mentioned on the radio this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ficus wrote: »
    That article is pure ****in rubbish.
    Typical mirror stuff.

After further analysis

It is caveated to high heaven
    It is reported he is now in danger of being left in a permanent vegetative state. (link is to the Mirror)

Jean-Marc Orgogozo, professor of neurology at the University of Bordeaux, said: “Every day, every week in a coma the chances decline that the situation is improving.” (a person not treating him)

An Austrian news website said the German F1 legend may suffer apallic syndrome, or persistent vegetative state. (unnamed Austrian news website)

Experts have speculated the severe damage he suffered to his brain when he smashed his head on rocks at the resort of Meribel on December 29 could result in him being left in a permanent vegetative state. - Experts have speculated.

The only relevant line is 'Michael today remained stable. His medical team were silent about his treatment.'
    ie nothing has changed since yesterday

Daily Mail are also reporting it now. I will wait for a better source before losing hope completely.

As was said before, the only reliable sources of information are his medical team, his family and his management. Reports from anybody else are just opinions.

Anyway, we should come to expect this type of reporting from tabloids such as the Mirror. It's not as if they haven't used dubious reporting techniques before to create news where there isn't any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tabloid rag in slow news day shocker. There have been no official updates at all, so before you even read the article you know it's just dredging through existing info or speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Myrddin wrote: »
    Tabloid rag in slow news day shocker. There have been no official updates at all, so before you even read the article you know it's just dredging through existing info or speculation
    Exactly. Sure with brain injury, anything is possible, from complete paralysis, partial paralysis, loss of sight, loss of memory, change of personality, or - shock horror - full recovery! Anything is possible, no one knows, but it suits some papers to release new "expert" opinions every few days to generate some new interest because it appears like news.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation to one of the experts went something like:
    "So is it possible to never be right again from brain injury?"
    "It's possible, no one knows for sure. It's a serious situation, all we can do is wait and see and let the medical team do their job."
    "OK, thanks..." *hangs up and runs with "EXPERT SAYS SCHUMI MIGHT NEVER BE RIGHT" headline *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Typical irresponsible tabloid rubbish - they will stop at nothing to sell papers. Scum bags.

Get well soon Michael - we're all praying for a positive outcome.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jean-Marc Orgogozo, professor of neurology at the University of Bordeaux, said: “Every day, every week in a coma the chances decline that the situation is improving.” (a person not treating him)

Accurate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I'm minded to recall the story of Karl Wendlinger in 1994. He spent several weeks in an induced coma to allow severe brain swelling to subside. He eventually recovered sufficiently to race again - albeit not as competively as his previous skill allowed. What's to say that the same medical strategy that applied to Karl then is now being applied to Michael now.

Fingers crossed he will get there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

RayM wrote: »

A considered assessment of the situation. It accurately explains all the possible outcomes. Most of all, what it portrays is that no definitive prognosis can yet be made. We just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually thats depressing reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Much better reading than the crap being spouted in the media.
    Four weeks today and no word on him, starting to get really really worried:(
    Even my mother was asking me about him this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

lolie wrote: »
    Much better reading than the crap being spouted in the media.
    Four weeks today and no word on him, starting to get really really worried:(
    Even my mother was asking me about him this morning.

Yeah, Sky News did a piece on him yesterday and fans did a track walk around Spa supporting him but I am worried now. I would have thought we would have heard something from his doctors.

Seen a few pics of it last night.
    Looking at all the pictures and reports in the media since the accident its almost like he never drove for Mercedes.

• Advertisement

Nice touch from ferrari at jerez today.
    BfAMZNJCUAAfGF5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I hope each day to hear some news, and I will never lose that hope.

Michael is one of my heroes, if anyone can wake from this, its him.

Hard to imagine it's already been a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Rumours that doctors are attempting to slowly wake Michael Schumacher up from his coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

fingers crossed for him :)

Rumours that doctors are attempting to slowly wake Michael Schumacher up from his coma.

This doesn't really surprise me, I honestly think they've already tried. But it will be a very slow process. It will take 13 and a half hours just to rewarm him if not already done. Then there's the whole process of actually waking him up. This could take days from gently lightening the sedation to completely removing it, and then the couple of hours before he comes around.

Unfortunately for now thats all it seems to be, a rumour.
    His manager released a statement earlier today
    "I am stressing again that any statement regarding Michael's health not coming from the doctors treating him or from his management must be considered as speculation," the statement read. "I repeat that we will not comment any speculations."

For once i really hope theres some truth in the rumour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

of Austria in Spielberg, May 18, 2003.

Formula One legend Michael Schumacher is showing new signs of life, according to a French newspaper.(L'Equipe )

The 45-year-old decorated driver has “reacted positively” to being woken up from a medically induced coma he has been in since a ski accident in the French Alps in late December, The Telegraph reports, citing the French sports daily L’Equipe

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/f1-legend-michael-schumacher-beginning-wake-coma-report-article-1.1595668#ixzz2rqBUrAqG

Hope this is all true , If at all religious this is the time to say a few prayers

Schumi's slowly being brought out of his induced coma according to his manager.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25958166

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Reporting the story of doctors taking him out of the coma now on sky sports news. Craig Slater says news is from Schumacher's manager.

Advertisement