Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone in Howth/Malahide...is the sea still rough? I'm thinking of taking a spin over for a look. Obviously I won't be putting myself in any danger but I'd like to see the sea in all its anger.

High Tide was at 3ish, so you've missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

This night 175 years ago was the night of Oiche on Gaoithe Mor, night if the big wind! The waves came over the cliffs of moher, and many died, makes interesting reading!

http://realityweather.eu/oiche-na-gaoithe-moire-night-of-the-big-wind-january-1839/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

road_high wrote: »
    Can usually drive onto Duncannon beach can't you? Mad because it's quite a sheltered beach and not directly on the coast (is up the Barrow estuary a little).

It's at the mouth of the suir estuary a few Km's down from hook head and in direct line of south westerly winds and currents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its windier now than it has been all day here in Galway just as met eireanns warning was over at 7pm :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Here's how you deal with a swell like this, embrace it, get inside it! Mullaghmore earlier today...not even the biggest day we've had there
    1506664_707374712619740_1153726260_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

maiden wrote: »
    This night 175 years ago was the night of Oiche on Gaoithe Mor, night if the big wind! The waves came over the cliffs of moher

I'm sure plenty of those stories from 1839 were true but like who was standing around to actually see the waves come over? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's remained a very wild night in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Been fairly windy for a few hours here in west mayo. Nice flash just there and a lovely rap of thunder, very impressed with it. Not really a storm outside but some fairly strong gusts, interesting to see how long it lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I don't see this posted yet.

Lahinch this morning. Unreal! :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=578629382220310

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was near Dingle last night and it most certainly wasnt a non event. You couldnt sleep between the gusts of wind and the thunder and lightning which knocked out our power.
    I have been going there all my life but never saw waves like this before. The waves covered the road in Minard with massive boulders again (they were just cleared on Saturday) and the bridge is badly damaged. The waves going in Dingle Bay were absolutely awesome. Can only imagine the damage at Rossbeigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Wild outside in Galway city by way of listening to the chimney. Athenry saying 12knots but sounds more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Ya alot more windier Now than last night/today in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

There's gusts out here in Tipperary that are enough to knock a traveler off his sister! Thunder and lightening early lit the room up too. It's passed now, thank god!

Yes it's a surprisingly wild night in Galway. Today saw the only damage to our house and garden of these storms, thankfully it wasn't bad, but it's a really windy day and night here.

This was a lovely sandy beach on Salthil prom up until last week. There isn't a grain of sand left.

BdTBQrRCUAA0FX8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

There's gusts out here in Tipperary that are enough to knock a traveler off his sister! Thunder and lightening early lit the room up too. It's passed now, thank god!

RidleyRider thanks for the giggle. Haven't heard that saying in years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Still blowing away here in mayo, just normal winter winds, nothing major. Seems to pick up for a while and then die down a bit, the odd shower but quick to pass. I think we got away a bit lighter than the south on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here's a question.....

I'm a regular up in North Donegal where this happens to the beach (Magheraroarty if anyone knows it) every couple of years - where once there was pristine white sand as far as the eye can see, suddenly (well I'm sure it doesn't happen THAT suddenly, but it's sudden when you're only up there occasionally :D) the first couple of hundred yards of the beach is covered - and I mean properly covered - with rocks.

I've often wondered - is it that the sand is washed away, or that the rocks are washed up?

Same question applies to all those poor locations up and down the west coast where once there were beaches and now there's just miles and miles of rubble :eek:

I've always wondered.....
    This was a lovely sandy beach on Salthil prom up until last week. There isn't a grain of sand left.

BdTBQrRCUAA0FX8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I always found Salthill beach kind of rocky and pebbly, compared to the beaches in Kerry and Donegal.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    I always found Salthill beach kind of rocky and pebbly, compared to the beaches in Kerry and Donegal.

There are two pebbly areas on salthil prom but there were three lovely sandy areas. There definitely were no rocks on that beach.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Here's a question.....

I'm a regular up in North Donegal where this happens to the beach (Magheraroarty if anyone knows it) every couple of years - where once there was pristine white sand as far as the eye can see, suddenly (well I'm sure it doesn't happen THAT suddenly, but it's sudden when you're only up there occasionally :D) the first couple of hundred yards of the beach is covered - and I mean properly covered - with rocks.

I've often wondered - is it that the sand is washed away, or that the rocks are washed up?

Same question applies to all those poor locations up and down the west coast where once there were beaches and now there's just miles and miles of rubble :eek:

I've always wondered.....

I always wondered that too. I think though that on this occasion sand was washed away. It said on the news tonight that a mllion tonnes of sand from a beach and surrounding dunes were washed away from a beach in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

RuthieRose wrote: »
    RidleyRider thanks for the giggle. Haven't heard that saying in years!!!

No problem, it can't be all doom and gloom!

I'm terrified of the thunder and lightening and living in a timber house amplifies everything. After a while of listening too it I got hungry so ran out to the kitchen, grabbed the George foreman, burgers and BBQ spice. I'm sleeping in a BBQ joint tonight after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

I wonder who is getting a new sandy beach this year? Surely its gonna end up somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some photos from howth earlier where a person was injured being washed off the top pier down to the lower walkway just near the harbour's water edge.

Hope link works.

https://www.facebook.com/ian.carruthers.395/media_set?set=a.10152147817016718.1073741842.631736717&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Link not working (for me anyway) Ian

Edit :yes it works, helps when you sign into facebook,silly billy i am :(
    Great pics

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Some photos from howth earlier where a person was injured being washed off the top pier down to the lower walkway just near the harbour's water edge.

Hope link works.

https://www.facebook.com/ian.carruthers.395/media_set?set=a.10152147817016718.1073741842.631736717&type=1

Worked for me.

Are there enough Darwin Awards in the world for these numpties? :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Are there enough Darwin Awards in the world for these numpties? :mad::mad::mad:

They really are silly!

loubian wrote: »
    They really are silly!

Silly would be the VERY polite version of what I'd like to call them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

loubian wrote: »
    They really are silly!

What are they actually thinking,Standing on slippy benches as waves crash around them..
    Everyone wants a good view but that is sheer stupidity.

Edit - Starting to get wild again here in south east Kerry.

• Advertisement

Sounds pretty wild here (Dublin city centre-ish), but Dun Laoghaire pier (the only wind instrument I have access to) showing F4, gusting F6.... feels like a lot more than that, and certainly did about an hour ago when a gust nearly took my car boot lid off!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement