Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sounds pretty wild here (Dublin city centre-ish), but Dun Laoghaire pier (the only wind instrument I have access to) showing F4, gusting F6.... feels like a lot more than that, and certainly did about an hour ago when a gust nearly took my car boot lid off!

Has to be more windy than last week here in Dublin 15, bloody Sky signal went! Never happened last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Some photos from howth earlier where a person was injured being washed off the top pier down to the lower walkway just near the harbour's water edge.

Hope link works.

https://www.facebook.com/ian.carruthers.395/media_set?set=a.10152147817016718.1073741842.631736717&type=1

Eejit!? I cannae understand these numpty dumpties.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

windier than was this afternoon in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Still very windy here in D4, when is the system supposed to be past us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

WTF is a numpty?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Massive shower of rain end hail here in Galway a few minutes ago. As bad as any night I've worked recently, I managed to work pretty much most storm alert nights, gusts making it quite difficult to walk around some corners of building when outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Pretty wild here in Cork City. Woken up by the rain lashing the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Rain and wind here in West Kerry again but nothing on the scale of the last few days and nights. Waves/tides yesterday were horrendous with lots of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

[-0-] wrote: »
    WTF is a numpty?

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.

Numpty, his younger brother, was unable to do even that much, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

there has been no let up in the wind here all night. not as strong as early yesterday morning and very few gusts but it sustained.

went down the prom in tramore last night at high tide. i haven't seen that many cars driving around that late at night since the dogging convention in 1998:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Saw this on Twitter, a house down at Kells Pier in Co. Kerry.

6zvbxj.jpg

Ballybunion Sea Rescue facility got damaged also.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.616841875048506.1073741830.143072542425444&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

zerks wrote: »
    North Cornwall in the Summer,it was nicknamed the Giant Doughnut in Porthcothan Bay.

article-2534511-1A7330AB00000578-406_470x423.jpg

And here it is today.

article-2534511-1A73704A00000578-26_964x545.jpg

That is just unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Incredible. It's not just the arch that has disappeared, half the outcrop has disappeard as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Mother Nature - The Ultimate Photoshopper

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Just back on digiweb; reading the thread is alarming indeed. with no radio or TV and no internet I have hardly known what to expect so have hunkered down. I was in killarney on free wifi (God bless the Outlet centre..) when the Orange status came on and the drive home was nasty .. last night was very bad here and today hail showers... yesterday early a huge thunderstorm and the dogs wrecked their room., hoping for some peace soon! but glad to be back online and in touch... some awesome photos; thank you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met Eireann on the stormy weather of late
    What's up with the weather this Winter? http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=234

Typo *98knots achieved Malin Head 1961 not 93

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

aboyro wrote: »

There are a few Numptys in this video.

Must be nothing else to do in Tramore. I see the video cuts off when the Rescue truck tries to talk to the driver (that incidentally is driving through flood waters).

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Benone beach outside Limavady, unreal to see the tide up the road so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=702294599803063

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Kind regards to my friends and relations on off shore Islands.......:)

This is not an easy time for anyone living on an island.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19171:waves-of-destruction-on-island&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

wow, have'nt seen much footage from Clare Island ,i was often out there. looks scary in that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

wow, have'nt seen much footage from Clare Island ,i was often out there. looks scary in that film.

Go when the weather is good, God's own country......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Not ideal conditions for a walk on Lahinch Prom yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

dmc17 wrote: »
    Not ideal conditions for a walk on Lahinch Prom yesterday!

Again, some very silly people!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Here's one from Portugal.. at least these folk kept a safe distance.... Just not far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

we've all done it from time to time, gone down to the beach to watch the stormy sea, i know i've done it when i was down in youngal in august 2012. but that clip from lahinch prom, yikes. that's a bit too close for comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Here's one from Portugal.. at least these folk kept a safe distance.... Just not far enough.

Holy crap there must have been some injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its pretty obvious now that the jet stream controls our weather. The good summer was because the jet stream further north than normal. Now in the winter it's further south bringing a train of storms. We are at the mercy of the jet stream.

A side note both keel and keem beaches had a load of sand removed by the tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious now that the jet stream controls our weather. The good summer was because the jet stream further north than normal. Now in the winter it's further south bringing a train of storms. We are at the mercy of the jet stream.

A side note both keel and keem beaches had a load of sand removed by the tides.

You mean gulf stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Both really :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement