Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Thanks OP. Have just booked for 11th - 23rd July, 2 adults 2 kids for £259, about €320. Arrival at 7 p.m is late enough but for the cost I wont complain. Now to research campsites, first time visiting France with kids in tow!

FWIW, we travel to Scotland regularly and usually pay €350+ with Stena for a 3 hour crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Seems to be a bit of a problem here.....I posted only once but my comment about sunelia has come up about 4 times. Sorry about that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

July 4
    Seems to be a bit of a problem here.....I posted only once but my comment about sunelia has come up about 4 times. Sorry about that!!!

Not again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Thanks OP. Have just booked for 11th - 23rd July, 2 adults 2 kids for £259, about €320. Arrival at 7 p.m is late enough but for the cost I wont complain. Now to research campsites, first time visiting France with kids in tow!

FWIW, we travel to Scotland regularly and usually pay €350+ with Stena for a 3 hour crossing.

We used to go dub/holyhead and drive to dover then dover/calais - it was quicker but sometimes it would be as much as 400 euro just to cross the Irish sea never mind diesel costs - but direct crossing to France is far more relaxing - I could never understand these big costs for relatively short crossings

I wouldn't mind LD shaking up the prices on the Irish sea crossings

The prices out of dover and hull are so much cheaper with less driving for access to Belgium and other destinations. Sorry for dragging off topic but competition is needed on our seas it's not for everyone but I find it far less stressful than flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I tried to book and pay in Sterling as it worked out even a little cheaper :D but couldn't get it to work.

So splashed out and paid in Euros for June 20th.

With 4 kids I cant really afford to fly anywhere so for 345.78 EUR for Car and family to go to France it's great value.

TY Bargain alert.

A few Boardsies beers aboard ! :)

Please PM me with some good campsite info guys..those who have done the research.

I've been to the Vendee twice before and drove from Cherbourg but it seems there can be quite a difference in campsite quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

holly8 wrote: »
    off topic but ... Norfolkline was brill .. we went to liverpool one weekend, on a BA (€100 rt for 2+2+car) posted by yourself I think, a few years ago!! a great time on the boat

Agreed. I used the Liverpool route with campervan a few times with Norfolkline and/or P&O - freight guys anyway. No screaming kids running around banging on doors in the middle of the night thinking they are amusing, all you can eat plain food in the restaurant, professional drivers who got on and off the ferry quickly, and direct access to the motorways at each end. Perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Agreed. I used the Liverpool route with campervan a few times with Norfolkline and/or P&O - freight guys anyway. No screaming kids running around banging on doors in the middle of the night thinking they are amusing, all you can eat plain food in the restaurant, professional drivers who got on and off the ferry quickly, and direct access to the motorways at each end. Perfect.

Oh the memories :D

Fantastic boat. Staff friendly and chatty. No frills, free grub, overnight so could sleep. I have high hopes for LD lines. I could not face a boat to the UK, then a drive to Channel ports, then a boat, then a drive.

Yes it will be a long sailing, but its direct. Get on, few pints, bed, wake up keep kids occupied, get off. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Nemesis wrote: »
    Please PM me with some good campsite info guys..those who have done the research.

I've been to the Vendee twice before and drove from Cherbourg but it seems there can be quite a difference in campsite quality.

First time camper in France as an adult here. If you search the other sections on boards there should be some recommendation for campsites.

I'm looking for a good site with pre pitched tents that won't break the bank. Somewhere along the coast south if st nazaire. Will have a 1 year old so kids club things aren't too essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good thing that it's actually this ship so...

1349325.jpg

She has a service speed of 24 knots. Very standard for modern ferries. Sometimes a longer distance takes more time than a shorter one...

That looks like the exact same ship but in blue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That looks like the exact same ship but in blue.

If I said a white A4 and a blue A6, would that analogy work? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If I said a white A4 and a blue A6, would that analogy work? ;)

Well every angle and window line up so Id say it's blue A4 red a4 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It may sound better to tell the neighbours you're cruising to France, but the OW was designed as a ferry, on a relatively short route, in sheltered waters (Oslo to Kiel), so she's no converted Cunard liners, sorry...

While she may seem nicer, under the decks, she's a 1980s design and build.

I think its childish of you to resort to twisting what I said..
    I was merely giving my experience of 20 crossings, these ferries are not as comfortable on the route as either the PontAvon or OscarWilde. Its a great introductory offer, and hopefully it will lead to lower crossing prices all round. Leave the playground jibes where they belong !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Well every angle and window line up so Id say it's blue A4 red a4 ;)

Doesn't even have the same amount of seats and windows... Mk 4 and Mk 6?

bbam wrote: »
    I was merely giving my experience of 20 crossings, these ferries are not as comfortable on the route as either the PontAvon or OscarWilde. Its a great introductory offer, and hopefully it will lead to lower crossing prices all round. Leave the playground jibes where they belong !
    The Oscar Wilde was designed as a cruise ship so passenger comfort was designed in. The Celtic Horizon style were designed to move people cheaply and feel like they were suited to shorter routes.

Not sure what words I'm twisting here? The OW was never designed as a cruise ship. You stating it was doesn't change that fact.

She was and remains, a ferry.

Her she is in her first colours in the late 80s.

KronprinsHarald-1987-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Meow ! Boards is a bit of a playground at times but you shouldn't be running back to tell your mammy every time the big boys tease you a little in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭micka

Yeap, cool offer. Heading off for the month of june. In total £206.5 or €250.32. SOme info on my statement said - RATE 0.8414, CHARGE 2.45, ERTF 2.45. Anyone know what ERTF stands for?

So two adults, one kid and a car. Great offer.

By the way, if you can go in june Flowercamping in France are offering some great specials here.

A lot are for for small chalets for €126 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    micka wrote: »
    Anyone know what ERTF stands for?

It's a debit or credit card charge. It's added when you select payment type.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

micka wrote: »
    . SOme info on my statement said - RATE 0.8414, CHARGE 2.45, ERTF 2.45. Anyone know what ERTF stands for?

ERTF = Exchange Rate Transaction Fee

August 1
    rgfuller wrote: »
    ERTF = Exchange Rate Transaction Fee

Oops, my boo boo :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭micka

Tired of paying these fees. Tis' a rip off. I wonder if vendors can take direct payments (such as LD Lines)? Save a few bob that way. Will try this new Irish outfit called CurrencyFair.com. See if they save me cash...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

July 18
    £199 offer seems to be over - returns in July are now between £380 and £450 which is still half the price of the other robbers !

July 4
    Think the party may be over boys and girls.

Just put in my dates again and my ferry not showing but alternatives are 770 euro.

Just as well I got in at the right time and paid 350 euro :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

July 11
    I was trying to make a booking and got prices much higher. :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Think the party may be over boys and girls.

Just put in my dates again and my ferry not showing but alternatives are 770 euro.

Just as well I got in at the right time and paid 350 euro :pac::pac::pac:

yep, looked at my dates and now showing €758 :eek:

glad I got in there for €320 ish :D

now it must be questioned if LD are going to be any good at shaking up prices on the irl-fr route, with these new rates? I can't see IF or Brittany sh1tting themselves?

August 1
    Yep, looks like the special offer quota has been reached. The one way trip I booked yesterday for July which cost €165 is now €259. Still good value mind.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Yeap my trip has changed to 700 euro from the 329 special offer. Still some 400 cheaper than IF for the same dates. Glad I got in when I did :). Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

MidlandsM wrote: »

now it must be questioned if LD are going to be any good at shaking up prices on the irl-fr route, with these new rates? I can't see IF or Brittany sh1tting themselves?

400 euro is a huge saving as well as the ferry taking you further south it's win win.

July 4

What do you mean? If we take it that the 750 I am now getting quoted is their "usual price", which it may be, thats still 350 cheaper for my dates than Irish Ferries and 250 cheaper than Celtic Link, and this ferry takes you further south.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

What do you mean? If we take it that the 750 I am now getting quoted is their "usual price", which it may be, thats still 350 cheaper for my dates than Irish Ferries and 250 cheaper than Celtic Link, and this ferry takes you further south.

actually, I take it all back, checked IF there for my dates - and they want €1574 ......:eek:

LD's a ruddy BARGAIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

actually, I take it all back, checked IF there for my dates - and they want €1574 ......:eek:

LD's a ruddy BARGAIN!

Yeah, the introductory offers were obviously loss leaders but the "full" prices still offer some decent (and welcome) competition.

How do LD's prices stack up against Celtic?

Advertisement