Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Actually thought this myself.

Nope just a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

First Up wrote: »
    Good idea. We now have four companies, five vessels, three departure and three arrival Ports. An adult discussion about the merits, advantages and otherwise of the options would benefit everyone and would be better conducted without people airing their insecurities and begrudgery at the same time.

Can I just say I think you've dragged a genuine excellent BA thread down into the gutter the last few pages. We get it you don't like LD lines or the fact people have saved a massive 800 euro+ on their annual holiday ferry trip and you think Irish ferries are better, we get it. But you know whatever makes you happy pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

mrsoft wrote: »
    As it is mine. But this thread is about LD Lines and not IF or anyone else.

IMO there is only one person who seems intent on stirring it up on here and thankfully he won't be on board. Like a dog with a bone.

No this thread is an excellent bargain alert rarely found if you're a frequent ferry user tbh - however the few people who availed of this alert and who never took to the high seas before can benefit from the experience of others who have. Perhaps there should be new threads in travel opened up. I'm just following this one because I'm eager to see how it pans out with the newest ferry - I travel that way frequently enough but some may feel daunted by 20+ hours at sea - a bit of advice helps greatly but yeah perhaps this isn't the thread for it anymore. Thanks OP for the alert I was too slow to avail but happy to see competition on the route!

Can I just say I think you've dragged a genuine excellent BA thread down into the gutter the last few pages. We get it you don't like LD lines or the fact people have saved a massive 800 euro+ on their annual holiday ferry trip and you think Irish ferries are better, we get it. But you know whatever makes you happy pal.

Totally reject that
    This was a decent discussion until some posters became uncomfortable with some things being pointed out and decided their best bet was to attack the poster instead of the posts.
    I make no apology for defending myself. If you want to see where it went astray, read it more carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

July 18
    More likely a bragging match about who made the cheapest sandwiches from the stuff they bought in Lidl on the way to the ferry.

No need to be a dick. Some of us are struggling to provide a nice and well deserved holiday for our families and this offer made it a lot easier

I appreciate some of the info you brought to this thread, but perhaps you should think about your replies before posting here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    Ok folks. Back to the point.

So, a lot of us have a cheap ferry getting into France at 7pm at night.

We know its basic, no frills, call it what you like, but this ferry cost me 350 euro return for 5 people. This allows me a good holiday when I may not have got one this year. A lot of people are struggling at the moment so thats the beauty of bargain alerts - we can help each other get the most for our hardearned cash.

We have suggestions of a nice campsite, which happens to be at the RDS holiday show next weekend, which is supposed to be reasonable. Hey, there are free tickets to the show available. I got mine on here, anyone that cannot find it, PM me. FREE is FREE :pac:

We have suggestions of staying in a holiday inn in St Nazarre before driving down south to try and get really good weather.

Maybe its worth driving down toward Spain overnight. Who knows? What do you think?

We have recommendations about particular camps and I am researching them at the moment.

I recommended a feed in The Bailey, Enniscorthy before getting on the boat. Decent grub, reasonable price. I think thats good.

I am looking at a week in a park and the balance at Eurodisney. I found 5 disney tickets for €950, but nowhere to stay. I also found Davy Crocket ranch at disney with tickets thrown in for €1100. So come on folks. Get the heads together and make our holidays SPECIAL.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

July 18
    A question someone in here might have the answer to. What's the story with changing the ferry dates once booked? From their website I get the impression it is possible, but are there any penalties? What's your experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    unkel wrote: »
    A question someone in here might have the answer to. What's the story with changing the ferry dates once booked? From their website I get the impression it is possible, but are there any penalties? What's your experience?

You will have to pay the extra of the new fare if it is dearer I think, which will be a lot if you booked on the original offer.

July 4

If its like the other companies, there would be a change fee plus the difference in fare. For the people who got the special offer, that could total A GRAND :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

July 4
    The merits of the OW over the primarily freight ferries is moot for many - regardless of the cost savings. For those without kids, the attraction of play facilities etc is minimal, and most people are probably better served by movies etc on tablets/laptops than regular ferry 'cinema' offerings. Norfolk used to provide a better service to Liverpool than the punter-orientated lines, with better grub, albeit less 'entertainment'. What matters most is the quality of the cabins, and by all accounts, this tub will be much the same as the rest of these Italian ferries - as good, if not better than what the OW offers. The OW hasn't got any advantage in a swell, if you're motion sickness prone, you'll be shafted either way. I've travelled on basic and fancy ferry lines - the novelty of added entertainment offerings wore off a long time ago - though, again for those with kids, ymmv.

Actual issues of potential concern with the LD / DFDS sailings are typical poor ferry food (no different to IF) for those that didn't bring sufficient picnics, and the ramp up to the open top car deck, which appears to be a problem for some. The thing I'm driving has an affinity for rust, that I'd rather not help along with a day of sea salt showers, so I've requested that I get put in a lower deck, so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise, the level of service that truckers get on freight ferries is normally perfectly good for the rest of us without rug rats. For anyone heading south of Brittany the extra hours sailing make sense time-wise, obviously less so for anyone destined for more northerly places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    Ok folks. Back to the point.

We have suggestions of staying in a holiday inn in St Nazarre before driving down south to try and get really good weather.

If people are looking for reasonable hotel - stop over for the first day, I recommend the Econuit chain. They have a place near Guérande, which is 25 minutes away from the terminal in St Nazaire. Guérande itself is worth a visit, being a medieval walled town. They rooms are clean and they have family rooms. The hotel itself is in a kind of office park and is quite, but the town is less than a 5 minute drive and parking is secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    We've been travelling over and back to France for quite a few years too, often a couple of times a year. We've travelled with our children and, for us, the novelty of children's entertainment wore off very quickly anyway. When they were babies/toddlers the only thing they liked was the soft play area. Once they get a bit older there are kids clubs/magician etc but our two were never very interested. There was one year they sat through the entire magic show alright, so that was half an hour! Now they are older they have no interest in any of the children's entertainment as it is pretty much the same every year. One of them loves the cinema alright so if there is no cinema on the LD lines she'll probably miss that. And it's nice just to be able to walk around the different areas, the restaurants, bar, shop and decks. Hopefully we'll be able to do that on the LD even if there isn't as much to look at. In the newspaper it said that they are going to have some entertainment on the LD anyway so there will be something going on. It will be a long time on board and in my experience the day will be long. We are planning to have a nice meal in a restaurant when we get off the ferry and not go too far to stay in a hotel the first night.

No need to be a dick. Some of us are struggling to provide a nice and well deserved holiday for our families and this offer made it a lot easier

I appreciate some of the info you brought to this thread, but perhaps you should think about your replies before posting here again

Let's just say I was provoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cambasque wrote: »
    France is a big country....you need to narrow it down!

Wll when you get off the ferry do most people stay in that area or head further south? just looking for idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    Really depends where you want to go, what kind of weather you are looking for, what kind of holiday.

If you want warmer weather, you'll have to head further south to be sure of it. If you prefer a milder climate, with occasional hot days, stay around St. Nazaire or head for the Brittany or Normandy coast. Do you like to be with the crowds or avoid them?Do you want to be on the coast or inland, in the mountains or lakes?

If you have children, do you want to do the camping type holiday with kids clubs, entertainment etc or would you prefer self-catering. Do you prefer beach or city. Hiking or shopping, cycling, horseriding etc etc etc. What would you like to do there, or see- are you a foodie, or a WW enthusiast, or an outdoors type or a shopaholic?

Impossible to give you any without an idea of what you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We've been over and back for ten holidays, tried all sorts of campsites.

The yelloh village or Le Castles chains of cosites are superior regards facilities cleanliness and service. They are well distributed along the coast.

My personal favourite sites are Le Littoral or Sequoia Parc. Both close enough to Nantes.

We're booked for La Garangeoire this year, it's part of the LeCastles chain. Have ah a few personal recommendations from it.

alastair wrote: »
    The merits of the OW over the primarily freight ferries is moot for many - regardless of the cost savings. For those without kids, the attraction of play facilities etc is minimal, and most people are probably better served by movies etc on tablets/laptops than regular ferry 'cinema' offerings. Norfolk used to provide a better service to Liverpool than the punter-orientated lines, with better grub, albeit less 'entertainment'. What matters most is the quality of the cabins, and by all accounts, this tub will be much the same as the rest of these Italian ferries - as good, if not better than what the OW offers. The OW hasn't got any advantage in a swell, if you're motion sickness prone, you'll be shafted either way. I've travelled on basic and fancy ferry lines - the novelty of added entertainment offerings wore off a long time ago - though, again for those with kids, ymmv.

Actual issues of potential concern with the LD / DFDS sailings are typical poor ferry food (no different to IF) for those that didn't bring sufficient picnics, and the ramp up to the open top car deck, which appears to be a problem for some. The thing I'm driving has an affinity for rust, that I'd rather not help along with a day of sea salt showers, so I've requested that I get put in a lower deck, so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise, the level of service that truckers get on freight ferries is normally perfectly good for the rest of us without rug rats. For anyone heading south of Brittany the extra hours sailing make sense time-wise, obviously less so for anyone destined for more northerly places.

Fair comment. I prefer a shorter crossing as it gives me most control over my environment but that's a personal thing. Cork/Roscoff is shortest (and the best ship) but Roscoff isn't always that convenient, nor is the once a week sailing.

We realised years ago that the extra cost of the "proper" restaurant was well worth it for quality and comfort and it really adds to the trip. It's not that much dearer either.

I can't comment on the stability/rough seas comparison between the freight ferries and the passenger ships as I've not used the former. I've been on the OW in pretty rough stuff and we got through it - although the dancers had to opt out of the cabaret. Never on the PA in bad weather as its mostly a summer run.

My business (and pleasure) usually takes me further East, so Cherbourg or the Chunnel generally suit better. If I was going to the Vendee I would certainly consider the LD option and I'm looking forward to some first-hand reports.

dockleaf wrote: »
    Really depends where you want to go, what kind of weather you are looking for, what kind of holiday.

If you want warmer weather, you'll have to head further south to be sure of it. If you prefer a milder climate, with occasional hot days, stay around St. Nazaire or head for the Brittany or Normandy coast. Do you like to be with the crowds or avoid them?Do you want to be on the coast or inland, in the mountains or lakes?

If you have children, do you want to do the camping type holiday with kids clubs, entertainment etc or would you prefer self-catering. Do you prefer beach or city. Hiking or shopping, cycling, horseriding etc etc etc. What would you like to do there, or see- are you a foodie, or a WW enthusiast, or an outdoors type or a shopaholic?

Impossible to give you any without an idea of what you want to do.

Also depends on what time you dock. Brittany Ferries arrives in Roscoff at 7 am, so that will allow you a full day - you can get to most parts of the Vendée by check-in time. Nice drive on an early summer's morning.

However a 7pm arrival means a night drive so staying local might be better. Irish Ferries usually arrives in Cherbourg or Roscoff early afternoon so its somewhere in between. I've gone all the way to Paris and other times stopped after a few hours, but it really depends on where you are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

July 4
    bbam wrote: »
    We're booked for La Garangeoire this year, it's part of the LeCastles chain. Have ah a few personal recommendations from it.

Been going there for last ten years a fabulous site. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Little bit of discussion on the LD Lines Facebook page. Seems the food will have a French/Spanish bias.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

July 4
    RIGHT FOLKS LISTEN UP

As per someone elses suggestion earlier in the thread about how this was now away from a bargain alert and was now maybe a travel thread, I floated the idea with boards powers that be.

They declined a forum/sub forum (fair enough), but suggested maybe a new thread over in travel may be more appropriate.

I am going to open one now and maybe we can expand this thread along the lines of LD LINES, St Nazarre, campsites, motorway, tolls, hotels, WHATEVER, just PLEASE, no mention of other ferry companies, comparisons of other ferry companies, or any other rubbish not relevant.

I hope to see you there. There are plenty of us that can benefit from this and it can help us plan our holidays.

HERE YOU GO - CLICK ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Need a few clues. How many of you? Ages? When can you travel? What do you like to do? Any complications?

Sorry, 2 adults and 2 kids, one child is 13 and the other will be 1(bit of a gap:P)

Travelling in June.....no complications....just looking for holiday without flights

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

For the attention of Murria and anyone else interested; cheap driving route to Spain from Cherbourg... St. Lo..Mayenne..Laval....Anger (before Anger take motorway direction Paris then turn off for Cholet motorway...this is free and will by-pass Anger..switch off your sat.nav)...Follow signs for Poitiers..to ring road passing airport and pick up sign for Angouleme...then Bordeaux..around ring road and pick up signs for San Sebastion/ Bayonne. Straight road to Spanish border ( the only tolls are on this road..total11 euro) When you cross border ( after Hendaye turnoff) and over river turn off for Pamplona. Stay on same road to by-pass Pamplona and you will pick up signs for Zaragoza...you will be given the option of National or motorway, take national to Zaragoza ring road. Turn right onto ring road and exit for Teruel/Valencia...new free motorway all the way to Sagunto, then by pass Valencia.. south of Valencia take national road for Alicante/Albecette. Come off at La Font de la figuera and by pass will take you around village but they were building a new by-pass. A few miles further and you will turn off for Alicante, you should know your way then, before Alicante take motorway direction Murcia then Cartegena. I go to San Miguel total 950 miles.Hope this helps ,put it here in case anyone else interested to save repeating myself as I am a poor typist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Thanks for that Dai, will give that a go this year. I logged all the tolls on the way home last year and most are a couple of quid but there was €9.50 north of Valencia and €28.30 at Nantes!! :eek:

Apreciate your reply. That's a bargain alert within a bargain alert. :D

On the N.10 south of Poitiers you will pass the penitentiary, just after it is a routier restaurant, great place for a meal 4 courses good selection wine included only 12 euros. This is average in France and I always rate them by the number of trucks outside, the French like their food.Further south is a truck stop on the right which rents out rooms, basic but clean and only cost me 35 euros for a double. I usually stop at a hotel before Zaragoza. it's on your right, big and has a couple of steam engines outside, 50 euros for a double room,swimming pool etc. very nice and the food is fantastic.You select what you want and they cook it ,as much as you want with a great selection. After Valencia on the national road I found a couple of good restaurants, but I like their food and it's part of my holiday.You will find lots of these routiers on the national roads in France and hostals in Spain whic.h offer fantastic value compared to what we pay here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

We usually just travel flat out to meet kids off flights and stay in a Formule1 north of Bordeaux for €35, dog welcome. Last year we travelled over a few days and did some sightseeing. I would highly recommend a visit to Albarracin, its about 2 hours south of Zaragoza near Teruel. Its a walled medieval village up in the mountains, really different I've never been anywhere like it before. You could see it in a couple of hours, but we stayed overnight in a lovely quaint hotel, Meson del Gallo, there are lots of nice little restaurants and bars in the village too. Well worth a visit.

ttyttpo
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    Sorry, 2 adults and 2 kids, one child is 13 and the other will be 1(bit of a gap:P)

Travelling in June.....no complications....just looking for holiday without flights

Sounds like a flop near a beach is what you need. I'm not an expert on campsites so if that's your thing, others have more to offer. The other option is to rent a gites - a house or apartment. Brilliantly organised in France - take a look at the gites de france website. You can stay in a rural setting within a short drive of the coast, or somewhere right by the sea (more expensive). Two nice towns we like in the Vendee are St Giles Croix de Ville and St Jean de Monts. It's a bit formulaic but it's a good formula. Great beaches with loads of watersports, good restaurants etc.
    If you take the LD ferry you are close to a very stylish resort called La Baule. Quite sophisticated but can be pricey.
    Brittany Ferries do good packages and you could also check Sunway.

Some stretches of road seem devoid of hotels, always when you are tired. My son stopped at Biaritz,near the airport , he said there were loads of hotels at reasonable prices. When you are only staying for a night you do not need frills and Formula 1 are ideal. Spain is a fantastic country much underated. I drove trucks for years and covered all of Europe but Spain was my favourite country.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

July 11
    Dai John wrote: »
    For the attention of Murria and anyone else interested; cheap driving route to Spain from Cherbourg... St. Lo..Mayenne..Laval....Anger (before Anger take motorway direction Paris then turn off for Cholet motorway...this is free and will by-pass Anger..switch off your sat.nav)...Follow signs for Poitiers..to ring road passing airport and pick up sign for Angouleme...then Bordeaux..around ring road and pick up signs for San Sebastion/ Bayonne. Straight road to Spanish border ( the only tolls are on this road..total11 euro) When you cross border ( after Hendaye turnoff) and over river turn off for Pamplona. Stay on same road to by-pass Pamplona and you will pick up signs for Zaragoza...you will be given the option of National or motorway, take national to Zaragoza ring road. Turn right onto ring road and exit for Teruel/Valencia...new free motorway all the way to Sagunto, then by pass Valencia.. south of Valencia take national road for Alicante/Albecette. Come off at La Font de la figuera and by pass will take you around village but they were building a new by-pass. A few miles further and you will turn off for Alicante, you should know your way then, before Alicante take motorway direction Murcia then Cartegena. I go to San Miguel total 950 miles.Hope this helps ,put it here in case anyone else interested to save repeating myself as I am a poor typist.

Thanks Dai, we are going camping in Pyrenees myself for 1.5 wks, then French coast for 2wks and 3 days in a hotel in Bordeaux before going back so your advice will be followed. We know already that French tolls aren't cheap but you pay for quality. Never felt ripped off to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

.... I floated the idea with boards powers that be ... suggested maybe a new thread over in travel may be more appropriate. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057128548
    Good idea, but this Juggernaut here is not going to stop it seems. Is it possible to close this one so that we don't have end up following two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Dai John wrote: »

This is a clever route, but anyone taking it should ust be aware that a lot of people use the N10 between Poitiers and Bordeaux to save the tolls, most notably the Spanish and Portugese truckers, so it is a very busy road. I drive it a few times per year, and hate it. Just keep your wits about you. Safe travelling, everyone.

Thought I'd bump this for peoples notice. LD lines look like they could be winding down this route before it's even got up and running. Posters on this site have been notified that they are cancelling all their sailings until the 18th of June so anyone who has booked with them before then should be receiving a full refund or alternative route. The alternative sailing will NOT be on the same day as no other boats leaves Rosslare on the Friday screwing up a lot of peoples plans. I think it's also fair to say the sailings after the 18th are in serious doubt unless they can get bums on seats before that date if this is the way they operate their business. Just a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11
    Thought I'd bump this for peoples notice. LD lines look like they could be winding down this route before it's even got up and running. Posters on this site have been notified that they are cancelling all their sailings until the 18th of June so anyone who has booked with them before then should be receiving a full refund or alternative route. The alternative sailing will NOT be on the same day as no other boats leaves Rosslare on the Friday screwing up a lot of peoples plans. I think it's also fair to say the sailings after the 18th are in serious doubt unless they can get bums on seats before that date if this is the way they operate their business. Just a heads up.

Balls thats a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Any more info on this. Have booked for a sailing on the 18th of June from France. Haven't heard anything from the ferry company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sucks,hopefully travel insurance covers the losses:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

July 4
    tomslick wrote: »
    Any more info on this. Have booked for a sailing on the 18th of June from France. Haven't heard anything from the ferry company.

18th of June to rosslare is no issue and planned to run, but any outbound before then is cancelled, they are working through may departures and it will be next Tuesday before people with June booking hear, that is what they told me today via email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

We're due to go in May :eek: Where did you hear this? I've not found it mentioned anywhere else. Nothing on their twitter or Facebook pages either?

Edit: Just saw the other thread grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

July 4
    lafors wrote: »
    We're due to go in May :eek: Where did you hear this? I've not found it mentioned anywhere else. Nothing on their twitter or Facebook pages either?

Edit: Just saw the other thread grrrrrr

All is not lost, they'll move you to Stena \ celtic links without charge, however outbound sailing are Thurs / sat instead of Fri and into cherbourg instead of St. Nazaire.

So while a right pisser doesn't have to mean a cancelled holiday for kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Crap. Just booked with BF, much more expensive but at least the extra drive will be in France and not to Rosslare.
    We were due to leave June 15th with LD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

All is not lost, they'll move you to Stena \ celtic links without charge, however outbound sailing are Thurs / sat instead of Fri and into cherbourg instead of St. Nazaire.

So while a right pisser doesn't have to mean a cancelled holiday for kids

It's more of a hassle with changing days off work and were going to have to get a hotel for one of the nights now too as the return dates look to be different if stena are following the Celtic link schedule (seems they are).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    lafors wrote: »
    It's more of a hassle with changing days off work and were going to have to get a hotel for one of the nights now too as the return dates look to be different if stena are following the Celtic link schedule (seems they are).

The hassle is when you try to book cabins now they are mostly booked out. That makes the journey unattractive with children.
    Dates I am looking at add on an extra €1000 euro with no bed, wrong dates for campsites too.

If the ferry in late June is cancelled, we would have to drive through England
    ( and take the tent too!!!)

Situation is completely unacceptable. They have left a lot of people high and dry. Surely they understand the first season would be a loss leader until they build up business and trust with clients. I'm still hoping they don't cancel for the 20th of June but not hopeful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

as the saying goes “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". People that booked with a brand new operator offering deals at 30% of the normal price must have realised that there was a certrain risk involved.

So my attitude is fair play to anyone that gets the bargain but, while I have sympathy for anyone that loses out, I have to say I am not surprised and thems the risks you take when taking deals that are almost too good to be true.

So lets hope for not toooo much moaning here from those that booked the ridiculously low fares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

July 11
    jimd2 wrote: »
    as the saying goes “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". People that booked with a brand new operator offering deals at 30% of the normal price must have realised that there was a certrain risk involved.

So my attitude is fair play to anyone that gets the bargain but, while I have sympathy for anyone that loses out, I have to say I am not surprised and thems the risks you take when taking deals that are almost too good to be true.

So lets hope for not toooo much moaning here from those that booked the ridiculously low fares!

Why would anyone assume that any company that can afford to buy ships or planes for that matter wouldn't be able to afford to honour their introductory rates?
    You might think they may not last, but you'd be fairly sure they wouldn't cancel their earliest bookings.

So let's hope for not tooooo many people lording over families that may be left high and dry just because it makes them feel superior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

July 25
    LD Lines are in business since '05. Maybe a new route but hardly a new operator. I was under the presumption that anyone who had their booking cancelled, will be refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Conar wrote: »
    Why would anyone assume that any company that can afford to buy ships or planes for that matter wouldn't be able to afford to honour their introductory rates?
    You might think they may not last, but you'd be fairly sure they wouldn't cancel their earliest bookings.

So let's hope for not tooooo many people lording over families that may be left high and dry just because it makes them feel superior

Go out into the real world.....unfortunately companies and people make committments that they might mean. However, this doesnt always happen and sometimes committments are made that cannot be fulfilled like in this case.

So, those that jumped at this bargain might just have to sweat for a while. still a good bargain for those that it worked out for. A bit of a life lesson for those that irt doesnt.

Either way, I am happy that I didnt jump at this so called bargain alert and plan my holidays around it.

Bets of luck to those that got stung especially to their children but i am in no way surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4

Guess you missed the deal then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    Go out into the real world.....unfortunately companies and people make committments that they might mean. However, this doesnt always happen and sometimes committments are made that cannot be fulfilled like in this case.

So, those that jumped at this bargain might just have to sweat for a while. still a good bargain for those that it worked out for. A bit of a life lesson for those that irt doesnt.

Either way, I am happy that I didnt jump at this so called bargain alert and plan my holidays around it.

Bets of luck to those that got stung especially to their children but i am in no way surprised.

Jayzus you're totally pi$$ed you didn't get the original deal.. :pac:

juneg wrote: »
    Now the question is will Brittany ferries reduce their extortionate rates to reflect the fact that they have 2 new routes to compete with this month??

In fairness to LD they have been very unlucky with the weather since they launched the Rosslare run. They will have had projections for traffic (99% freight at this time) and these will have gone out the window. Bear in mind that IF takes January off and BF is essentially a summer service.
    I suspect they took the decision to cut their losses based on advance bookings over the winter. A bit of a PR disaster but it was a crazy time to launch a new service. Fingers crossed the summer sailings will be OK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement