Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    actually, I take it all back, checked IF there for my dates - and they want €1574 ......:eek:

LD's a ruddy BARGAIN!

And heres mine :D

€ 539.00
    Sailing Price

€ 139.00
    1 x Cabin
    1 x 2 Star 4 Bed - with window

€ 678.00
    Return Price

€ 6.00
    Administration Fee

€ 1,442.00Total

All taxes, port charges and card fees

INCLUDED!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

July 4
    This is the best BA since I've joined boards. Seriously, it's saving everyone in and around €1,000. Well done op! There should be an award for bargain alert of the year and you get sent some goodies from boards :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 64,949 ✭✭✭✭unkel

July 18
    Booked. Just over €600 for the 5 of us including outside cabin. For the craic I had a quick look at Irish Ferries who would drop us off in Cherbourg (requiring many extra hours of driving to a bit further south than Brittany where we are planning to holiday, compared to St Nazaire) and they were looking for double that with less suitable times and durations.

Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Shock Horror I have just typed my dates into the other ferries

Celtic Link 1,418
    Brittany Ferries 1,430
    Irish ferries 1,288 using Francec14 discount

Where the hell do celtic link get off charging the same as Brittany Ferries???

They weren't long getting on the rip off republic bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

juneg wrote: »
    Shock Horror I have just typed my dates into the other ferries

Celtic Link 1,418
    Brittany Ferries 1,430
    Irish ferries 1,288 using Francec14 discount

Where the hell do celtic link get off charging the same as Brittany Ferries???

They weren't long getting on the rip off republic bandwagon

They owe a few million in debts supposedly, maybe thats why they upped the ante

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

it's a no fills approach, like a ryanair of the seas. But big savings.

The Scintu is a run of the mill ro-ro ferry like many in service, built in 2009 - so not an old boat, and is very similar to the Norman Asturias that LD runs from Poole to Saint Nizaire...there is quite favourable reviews here of that boat and its standards....
    http://www.directferries.co.uk/ld_lines_norman_asturias.htm
    Interior Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uj32kYGdtg

The Norman Asturias is a 2007 build ferry, and the dimensions/stats are near identical, and the interior and facilities will be similar also, adequate to be fair for the price paid.
    The Scintu is actually going to be renamed the Norman Atlantic in January 14', to match up with the Asturias it seems.

I've done my research and crunched the holiday cash numbers, and I'm happy with what I saw. So I'm booked, €320 odd €'s, rosslare-st nazaire return, car, 5 people, 2 cabins each way.....how bad ehhh, and the savings have afforded us to book a 5 star camp site.....so, we might have to endure no frills for a day going out and back, but it'll be 5 star all the way in france whilst there......so, ferry travel and 5 star campsite - all for the price of what Irish Ferries would have charged just for the ferry alone. :P

That is what its all about.......a real billy bargain!:)

can I please ask what dates you booked in order to get that price?

And, if I can be really cheeky, what campsite also?

Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    Lima Golf wrote: »
    This is the best BA since I've joined boards. Seriously, it's saving everyone in and around €1,000. Well done op! There should be an award for bargain alert of the year and you get sent some goodies from boards :D

I think this is a great idea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

highly1111 wrote: »
    can I please ask what dates you booked in order to get that price?

And, if I can be really cheeky, what campsite also?

Thank you so much.

the introductory offer is over i'm afraid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

the introductory offer is over i'm afraid.....

ok, probably a case of que sera sera anyway, as we really won't know our financial situation holiday wise until March. Thank you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Looks like they have zero room for pets so not much use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Same here Top Dog. The only reason we go by ferry is because we take dog on holiday to Spain. We could have had a fare at one third of price we pay with Celtic Link but LD don't have a licence to carry animals yet.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    murria wrote: »
    Same here Top Dog. The only reason we go by ferry is because we take dog on holiday to Spain. We could have had a fare at one third of price we pay with Celtic Link but LD don't have a licence to carry animals yet.:(

Do you drive down to Spain? How long does that take if you dont mind me asking?

How much do you pay with CL?

used them for the first time last week and was pretty impressed with their 6-day return deal.

juneg wrote: »
    Do you drive down to Spain? How long does that take if you dont mind me asking?

It takes 2 days. First night on boat then we drive to Bordeaux, stay overnight and next day do the 9 hour drive to just South of Alicante. Sometimes we take a little longer and spend a few days sight seeing, but the two day trip is still fine, especially the lovely drive through the Pyrenees.

Top Dog wrote: »
    How much do you pay with CL?

used them for the first time last week and was pretty impressed with their 6-day return deal.

It's around €800 we go for month of July. It's perfect for us, shorter crossing and cheaper than IF and BF. Dog can stay in car so he doesn't fret, it's his territory and he knows we're coming back, oh and no charge for him. We aren't looking for cabaret a d fine dining, so it suits us.

It's around €800 we go for month of July. It's perfect for us, shorter crossing and cheaper than IF and BF. Dog can stay in car so he doesn't fret, it's his territory and he knows we're coming back, oh and no charge for him. We aren't looking for cabaret a d fine dining, so it suits us.
    Perhaps a silly question - but have you ever thought about buying 2 of their 6-day return deals? €220 x 2 = €440 instead of €800 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    Prices seem to be down again, checked for my mum for late july early august..coming in at €374 for 3 adults and inside cabins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Top Dog wrote: »
    Perhaps a silly question - but have you ever thought about buying 2 of their 6-day return deals? €220 x 2 = €440 instead of €800 ;)

Celtic mention those six day deals but you still have to go into their search engine, put in your dates and see what comes out. Huge variation - the "€220" deal is apparently just the lowest price (of many) based on least attractive dates and times. It can be at least €100 higher, which puts it at (or above) similar prices with IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

The price of mine dropped, I booked a return on Monday for car and 4 and cost 269, checked this morning and it's now 219, was almost raging but it's still really cheap and got a siblu park for 11 nights for 550 so delighted with the price for almost a fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

July 18
    The pricing seems to be a bit hit or miss - my trip is now £320 pounds dearer than when I booked it on Monday. I havent noticed anything going down in price though I m only looking at July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It takes 2 days. First night on boat then we drive to Bordeaux, stay overnight and next day do the 9 hour drive to just South of Alicante. Sometimes we take a little longer and spend a few days sight seeing, but the two day trip is still fine, especially the lovely drive through the Pyrenees.

You know the boat goes onto Spain after stopping in St Nazaire?

July 18
    Tazz T wrote: »
    You know the boat goes onto Spain after stopping in St Nazaire?

Have a wee look at the map. Murria is not going to that part of Spain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

clevtrev wrote: »
    The pricing seems to be a bit hit or miss - my trip is now £320 pounds dearer than when I booked it on Monday. I havent noticed anything going down in price though I m only looking at July

Does anyone know how prices compare for commercial traffic? A price war for passenger traffic during school holidays is all very well but these are year round operations and need more than holiday makers to be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

unkel wrote: »
    Have a wee look at the map. Murria is not going to that part of Spain ;)

At least it's in the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

For what date Wizard??

July 18
    Tazz T wrote: »
    At least it's in the same country.

LOL, better get that map out soon and teach yourself a Geography lesson :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    Ok. I got in Rosslare to St Nazaire for 350 euro.

Yesterday it was 770 on nearest sailing, so that suggests its finished.

Today I checked again and its back to 330 euro.

GET IN FOLKS !

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

for what date???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

We normally go twice a year to just south of Alicante (San Miguel de Salinas) and spend only 11 euros on tolls for the section between Bordeaux and Irun, the rest is free. I have to switch off the sat nav to make the savings but have proved my route shorter ,faster and cheaper.

Advertisement