Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

pigtown wrote: »
    Any updates on this?

Boardwalk is nearly complete, road is open again from the dock road roundabout, ground work is starting on poorman's kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the road open all the way down as far as Sarsfield Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Big strides have been made towards the completion of the boardwalk. Wood is being laid on the final section at the poor mans Kilkee end now. Paving is also beginning to go down on poor mans Kilkee itself.

The new lighting posts are in place all the way down to Sarsfield bridge although they're not live yet.

Green LED studs have also been embedded in to the pavement between Shannon Street and Cecil Street. They look great although the cynic in me feels that they won't be maintained whenever they begin to fail just like the broken/expired ones on O'Connell Street at the Bedford Row and Thomas Street junctions!

Is the road open all the way down as far as Sarsfield Bridge?

Coming off the Shannon bridge roundabout there will be a two-way system in place down as far as Lower Cecil Street. Traffic wishing to head onwards to Sarsfield bridge will have to travel up Lower Cecil Street to Henry Street and back down Lower Shannon Street.

Howley's Quay, (the area in front of Clohessy's) from Lower Shannon Street to Lower Cecil Street heading towards the Shannon bridge now becomes one way only.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

I've been using the road since last Saturday, I think that's when they reopened it.
    At the moment it's two way traffic from Shannon bridge to Shannon St. but one way from the bottom of Shannon St. to Sarsfield bridge.
    I hope they leave it like this,
    gotta say the whole thing does look pretty good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

They've laid grass on Poorman's Kilkee now.

A nice bit of symmetry here. Just as the quayside revamp nears completion, the former ESB building has been put on the market.

http://www.dtzsf.com/Details.aspx?OpportunityID=16497

With a shortage of suitable, modern office accommodation in the city this is an ideal location to site a high quality building of appropriate scale. It could easily take a development of around the 10 floor mark. Similar to the apartment element of Riverpoint on the neighbouring site.

With the expected relocation of the Garda headquarters and subsequent release of the site there's scope for major development on that block in the coming years. This along with the completion of the GPO/hanging gardens project would really transform and inject new life in to that quarter of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

A few photos to keep people up to date

mp5m.jpgjiom.jpgm1oq.jpgd2n3.jpg

http://www.limerick.ie/cityquays/

Compared to the original plans there seems to have been some changes. No longer any gaps between the deck and the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭pigtown

power101 wrote: »
    http://www.limerick.ie/cityquays/

Compared to the original plans there seems to have been some changes. No longer any gaps between the deck and the wall.

Probably a good idea. Whenever the tide is out the edge of the river is just an expanse of mud and trollies/traffic cones. Hiding is the best option.

• Advertisement

Almost there! Hopefully we'll see a mad push to get this done before Christmas. It's definitely doable!

Bit of a troublesome tie-in between the new paving and the rugged limestone quay wall too. They have been trying different approaches to knit these together over the course of the works.

Good to see solid progress on Poor man's Kilkee too. It will be a far more attractive and useable space once completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I've passed the area a few times lately and I have to say it looks really well down there! Hopefully it will be kept free of unwanted loiterers etc, and well maintained and become a focal point for locals and tourists to get in to the city and go for a stroll.

It might even prompt the use of the river and all the jettys that were installed a few years back might finally get some use if we can entice some boats to come down the Shannon! Hopefully the Limerick 2030 plan will be followed through too and get the city centre buzzing again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

As I haven't got down to Limerick yet, have the promised stalls on Cruises Street been opened yet? They are meant to be there every Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As I haven't got down to Limerick yet, have the promised stalls on Cruises Street been opened yet? They are meant to be there every Saturday...

I'm still waiting to see the tallest Xmas tree in Ireland that was advertised in November.

No idea about the stalls on Crusies street though, if they are up there then there is not much talk about them.

Have been around the Continental Christmas Market in Galway a few times since it started this year, and I really wish that something of the same scale and calibre was encouraged here in Limerick.

It brings so many people into the centre of Galway city and lasts a full month. There is always a great buzz around it, and it is as good for the local traders as it is for the non local ones that come over each year. It has also been the cause of some non locals setting up business in Galway, so would imagine that a similar quality Continental Christmas Marketcould have a similar positive effect on Limerick city.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to see the tallest Xmas tree in Ireland that was advertised in November.

No idea about the stalls on Crusies street though, if they are up there then there is not much talk about them.

Have been around the Continental Christmas Market in Galway a few times since it started this year, and I really wish that something of the same scale and calibre was encouraged here in Limerick.

It brings so many people into the centre of Galway city and lasts a full month. There is always a great buzz around it, and it is as good for the local traders as it is for the non local ones that come over each year. It has also been the cause of some non locals setting up business in Galway, so would imagine that a similar quality Continental Christmas Marketcould have a similar positive effect on Limerick city.

Had a look at the website for that Galway Continental Market and it reminds me why I decided to study there rather than stay in Limerick. I don't understand why the City Council don't have the gumption to organise a similar event.

At the end of the day, I think if we want events like this in Limerick, private citizens working together are going to have to organise it, rather than wait for LCC to come to the rescue.

www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They've been there on Saturdays for the last couple of months. There's sometimes a bit of duplication with the Milk Market (same people, multiple stalls) but it does make Cruise's St. much more interesting on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Had a look at the website for that Galway Continental Market and it reminds me why I decided to study there rather than stay in Limerick. I don't understand why the City Council don't have the gumption to organise a similar event.

At the end of the day, I think if we want events like this in Limerick, private citizens working together are going to have to organise it, rather than wait for LCC to come to the rescue.

Great suggestion and probably the only way you'd get something done.....once it is up and running and all the hard work is done then no dobut the members of LCC will swoop in and get involved as if it was their brain child.

Something on the scale as Galway's Continental Christmas Market would require the CC to be involved from the get go, as well as having the gardai organised. Even if a Limerick version was only a week long rather then the full month the Galway one uses, it would still need CC involvement from the start.

Is a shame in a way that the ice rink takes over Arthurs quay park at Xmas as a proper Continental Christmas Market in that park would be a smashing (and crowd drawing event imo. Most other locations within the city centre would only allow for a very small scale version to be held (Arturs quay park would also be smaller than the Galway version but the park would still be large enough for a good stab at it)

Anyone that goes to the Galway one on a yearly basis can attest to the volume of people that turn up for it, but should also have noticed the amount of planning and legal niceties that go into such an event.

The Garda presence at the Galway one is very well done also, you know they are there but it is never overly obvious.

Often wondered if an indoor version of a Continental Christmas Market would work in a large building, say somewhere like the old Dunnes Stores building by Sarsfield bridge. Granted a lot of the stalls and events at the Galway market simply could not go into that building from a fire safety pov (not without making the event far less cost effective anyway), but done right it could breath some new life into that building and that side of town every Xmas

Pity that the Bishops/Howlys Quay stretch is quite narrow in places, because it is also a location that possibly might have work for a yearly Continental Christmas Market once all the logistics involved were worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ya it's a shame we have no dedicated market area in the city.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thanks for those photos. have they taken away the cobble stones around the dockers monument completely - always thought they looked great down there.

hopefully they'll maintain the timbers better than the ones down by the Clarion - they used to get very slimey when wet cos of the moss/algae growing there.

It all looks like it'll be great addition the the city from those photos, time I went to Limerick to have a look around I think.

• Advertisement

Something on the scale as Galway's Continental Christmas Market would require the CC to be involved from the get go, as well as having the gardai organised. Even if a Limerick version was only a week long rather then the full month the Galway one uses, it would still need CC involvement from the start.

Is a shame in a way that the ice rink takes over Arthurs quay park at Xmas as a proper Continental Christmas Market in that park would be a smashing (and crowd drawing event imo. Most other locations within the city centre would only allow for a very small scale version to be held (Arturs quay park would also be smaller than the Galway version but the park would still be large enough for a good stab at it)

Anyone that goes to the Galway one on a yearly basis can attest to the volume of people that turn up for it, but should also have noticed the amount of planning and legal niceties that go into such an event.

The Garda presence at the Galway one is very well done also, you know they are there but it is never overly obvious.

Often wondered if an indoor version of a Continental Christmas Market would work in a large building, say somewhere like the old Dunnes Stores building by Sarsfield bridge. Granted a lot of the stalls and events at the Galway market simply could not go into that building from a fire safety pov (not without making the event far less cost effective anyway), but done right it could breath some new life into that building and that side of town every Xmas

Pity that the Bishops/Howlys Quay stretch is quite narrow in places, because it is also a location that possibly might have work for a yearly Continental Christmas Market once all the logistics involved were worked out.

From what I've been reading in the Limerick Leader, the only Christmas events Limerick is offering is indoors - both in the milk market and the former Franciscan Church.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/city-to-host-series-of-food-and-craft-stalls-this-season-1-5742089

It seems such a shame that other cities like Waterford (Winterval) and Cork (Glow) have such great outdoor events for this time of year that Limerick doesn't do the same. It really shows a complete lack of ambition.

Could the Limerick on Ice event not take place in the Potato Market and use Arthur's quay park for a Ferris Wheel (similar to the one in Grand Parade) and carousel, etc. and possibly more stalls at the back of the Hunt Museum. It would look great for anyone coming over the Shannon and make the city look more alive and inviting.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Ya it's a shame we have no dedicated market area in the city.................

And where would the current market and it's set up go if a Continental Christmas Market set up? The Xmas markets do not get made up of small fold away stalls and the like. It is quite a comprehensive set up that does not move once set up

Plus a lot of the areas where the current markets go would not be suitable for a Continental Christmas Market as it would be too large to set up alongside what is already there, plus would not be convinient for those living in the area or for traffic. Arthurs quay park would suit because it would be in an enclosed area where people could walk to easily, and could also be left there 24/7 without impacting on residents or traffic systems.

The Galway market stalls etc stay put 24 hours a day for the month, and are also open until eight at night most days with 10 a clock closing on their late closing nights so there is a degree of noise.

Plus most Continental Christmas Markets are a city centre event as the idea behind them is to draw crowds into the city centres where possible and not the outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I read on the Limerick.ie site that there were having a christmas market on the milk market site from the end of November onwards.The gate leading into the milk market was closed when i was there so i guess their just branding the market that takes place there every weekend as a christmas market.I think Limerick is well behind the other cities on that front.You have the market in Galway, the one on the Grand Parade in Cork and in Waterford they have the Winterval festival which has turned out to be a resounding success for a city that has similar issues to Limerick with regards to unemployment and business closures.

They have just checked the installation of the flood barrier for the second half. It may be removed later on today. All looks good. I think they may be finished as soon as this weekend now. It really is starting to look great. After a year we'll finally be able to sleep without been woken at 7am every morning! The lighting at night is excellent down there aswell. Very bright and welcoming.

ewz5.jpg

Will they wait after Christmas for the UL style flagpole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Don't get the Christmas market thing. The Galway one only sold pricy fast food and gluhwein alongside ethnic handcraft tat.

We have a fine market that sells plenty of normal stuff and also incorporates the seasonal.

power101 wrote: »
    They have just checked the installation of the flood barrier for the second half. It may be removed later on today. All looks good. I think they may be finished as soon as this weekend now. It really is starting to look great. After a year we'll finally be able to sleep without been woken at 7am every morning! The lighting at night is excellent down there aswell. Very bright and welcoming.

It won't quite be finished for Christmas. You can see they have sealed the outstanding unpaved sections on poor man's Kilkee with tarmac as a stop gap measure. They will be back in the new year to complete the paving and I presume to lift that big mast in to place.

There has been another tweak to the traffic system as well. Howleys Quay has reverted back to two-way so you can drive all the way through from the Shannon bridge roundabout to Sarsfield bridge once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Vanquished wrote: »
    It won't quite be finished for Christmas. You can see they have sealed the outstanding unpaved sections on poor man's Kilkee with tarmac as a stop gap measure. They will be back in the new year to complete the paving and I presume to lift that big mast in to place.
    Tarmac!!!! :eek:

Temporary solutions in Ireland often end up as permanent ones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tarmac!!!! :eek:

Temporary solutions in Ireland often end up as permanent ones?

This has been used regularly over the years in the other paving schemes around the city as a stopgap and they've always come back and finished the job correctly. I wouldn't be too worried.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Don't get the Christmas market thing. The Galway one only sold pricy fast food and gluhwein alongside ethnic handcraft tat.

We have a fine market that sells plenty of normal stuff and also incorporates the seasonal.

The Limerick one does not draw the kind of crowds that the Galway one does for a full month. It is also not as well advertised or as well organised as the Galway one. There is nothing at all wrong with the Limerick market but it comes with no hype, and is a "ah sure that is always there" type market. Nothing about it is geared towards attracting in folks in large numbers from far away.

Would be fantastic to see the centre of Limerick city with as much extra business in the run up to Xmas every year as the Galway market draws in, or the area along Bishops/Howleys Quay abuzz as people went from trader to trader.

Those thousands of extra people walking around the city would only be good for the existing businesses as there would be a much higher footfall for the local traders to try and attract in their own doors.

Advertisement