Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

According to the Post the job will be finished next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Further developments in the debacle down at the quays!

Took a stroll down there this evening and aluminium barriers have now been fitted in to the frames that were recently installed!

It seems that this barrier will stretch down as far as the steps opposite Clohesseys skirting the dockers memorial in the process!:mad:

Surely this is complete and utter overkill! Who signed off on this madness?!

I'm still not convinced the pillars are permanent. I'd say they will be removed and kept in storage until they are needed. It's not like a flood is just going to appear, we get plenty of warning when the possibility of one arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

pigtown wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced the pillars are permanent. I'd say they will be removed and kept in storage until they are needed. It's not like a flood is just going to appear, we get plenty of warning when the possibility of one arises.

I think you're right, the bank of the river at this side is slightly higher than the other side so the barriers at this side wouldn't be required as often.

But why are they being installed now? There's no flood risk.

The barrier plates at Clancy's Strand are only put in place at times of very high tides.

https://maps.google.com/maphp?hl=en&ll=52.667014,-8.563156&spn=0.122842,0.338173&t=h&z=12&layer=c&cbll=52.667054,-8.628899&panoid=WEjfgC5MaIm4_ys3rrKViQ&cbp=12,110.1,,0,22.5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Vanquished wrote: »

So you expect that the first time they put them in place is going to be just before a flood is due? They obviously have to check that everything fits correctly before the sign off on the job.

The barrier plates at Clancy's Strand are only put in place at times of very high tides.

https://maps.google.com/maphp?hl=en&ll=52.667014,-8.563156&spn=0.122842,0.338173&t=h&z=12&layer=c&cbll=52.667054,-8.628899&panoid=WEjfgC5MaIm4_ys3rrKViQ&cbp=12,110.1,,0,22.5

At a guess to show they fit/work.

If they weren't installed now and the builder got paid for the job and then it was dicovered a pillar was missing or fitted at the wrong location then they's be outcry why wasn't this checked when the builder was on site and before final payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

It is a mobile flood protection wall system and the metal planks plus pillars can be mounted / demounted very quickly when the danger of flood arises.

They have just prepared their positions for future use.

14.jpg?w=640&h=515

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Took a stroll down there this evening and aluminium barriers have now been fitted in to the frames that were recently installed!

It seems that this barrier will stretch down as far as the steps opposite Clohesseys skirting the dockers memorial in the process!:mad:

To be honest, I think it looks pretty nice

So you expect that the first time they put them in place is going to be just before a flood is due? They obviously have to check that everything fits correctly before the sign off on the job.

Obviously the barriers are demountable but I assume they have to leave some part of the fitting in place for when they are needed a la Clancy's Strand. Hopefully this intervention will be minimal.

• Advertisement

Obviously the barriers are demountable but I assume they have to leave some part of the fitting in place for when they are needed a la Clancy's Strand. Hopefully this intervention will be minimal.

I hope so too.

Here is an example of such a fitting.

hwso44.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Looking at the 3rd photograph. It looks at if there'll be an awful lot of work in putting in the barriers when the tide is high.

Looking at the 3rd photograph. It looks at if there'll be an awful lot of work in putting in the barriers when the tide is high.

But they don't them for normal high tides. They'll only be needed in exceptional high tides like when Shannon Banks got flooded and sand bags were placed along the quays.

Great work going on down there today. The boardwalk is coming along nicely. They have started work on Poorman's Kilkee. They are building a plinth which I imagine is where that flagpole might be going.
    The bollards to support the flood barriers are gone and it's just some holes in the ground that are left.

Also, has anyone walked down there recently? One of the lampposts has a sensor on it connected to a speaker which says "Keep Limerick tidy. Tidy up after your dog" or something along those lines! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

Great work going on down there today. The boardwalk is coming along nicely. They have started work on Poorman's Kilkee. They are building a plinth which I imagine is where that flagpole might be going.
    The bollards to support the flood barriers are gone and it's just some holes in the ground that are left.

Also, has anyone walked down there recently? One of the lampposts has a sensor on it connected to a speaker which says "Keep Limerick tidy. Tidy up after your dog" or something along those lines! :pac:

Had a walk down there last Saturday evening-looks great although I do fear the boardwalk is going to attract alot of scumbags.I hope that won't be the case.Looks like they may be able to get Poor Mans Kilkee finished before Christmas if they step up the pace a little. Hopefully the EIB funding will become available & the council can buy/demolish the Old Dunnes Stores & make a start on the 2030 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

I had also thought about scumbags going down there like in Dublin but to be honest its way too cold and windy. There is no way they will congregate down there. It really is starting to come together now and looks really well. Only 6 weeks to go....

power101 wrote: »
    I had also thought about scumbags going down there like in Dublin but to be honest its way too cold and windy. There is no way they will congregate down there. It really is starting to come together now and looks really well. Only 6 weeks to go....

Yeah hope so.The boardwalk was built with the best of intentions in Dublin but not it's just a cesspit of Junkies & Alchos.Is Cruises St part of the 2030 plan?I know it's not the best looking of streets but if they did something with the paving (like Grafton St) it would improve it alot.
    Would also love to see that building across from Smyths (it looks like it was a factory of some sorts) restored & maybe build some new narrow cobbled sts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

sleepyman wrote: »
    Yeah hope so.The boardwalk was built with the best of intentions in Dublin but not it's just a cesspit of Junkies & Alchos.Is Cruises St part of the 2030 plan?I know it's not the best looking of streets but if they did something with the paving (like Grafton St) it would improve it alot.
    Would also love to see that building across from Smyths (it looks like it was a factory of some sorts) restored & maybe build some new narrow cobbled sts of it.

They make some mention in the plan about something being done with it, but nothing concrete. If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of changing it completely (but to what?) or an extreme makeover.

I noticed in the plans some sort of structure on the small pier close to milanos. Is there any sign of this down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There was mention of placing a canopy over cruises st much like the one they have by the market. But from what I can see the retail units are still too small

• Advertisement

Good to hear.

Yep. That freaked me out the other day. I thought to myself "who's watching me?! I don't even have a dog!":eek:

No harm though. I've already noticed a fair amount of dog poop down there since the first completed section opened.

I noticed in the plans some sort of structure on the small pier close to milanos. Is there any sign of this down there?

Yeah there's some form of gazebo going in there alright. The structural frame was installed last week.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product now.

Another positive aspect of the revamp is the quality of the new street lighting. The completed section from the Shannon bridge to Lower Cecil Street is so well lit. Definitely the best public lighting scheme in the city centre.

The contrast with the relative darkness of the yet to be completed stretch is really stark!

Witnessing how a previously unappealing and tatty area such as the city quays can be totally transformed and rejuvenated really makes you wish the O'Connell Street revamp will get under way as quickly as possible.

This a photo that was posted on twitter last week of the structure.

https://twitter.com/limerickguide/status/406050208632811521/photo/1

It looks similar to the structure at the entrance to Castletroy park.

It looks similar to the structure at the entrance to Castletroy park.

Yeah something similar alright.

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/fabric-architecture/metal-frame-supported-tensile-structures-61155-700660.html

metal-frame-supported-tensile-structures-61155-2034631.jpg

or a trampoline...please god let it be a trampoline
    Looks like as if your wish has come true! ;)

I know I mentioned it before but I think moving the Tourist Office down there would be a great idea-obviously it's a question of finance & building a new tourist office (where the old ESB building is as it doesn't look like the school that's meant to be there is happening)
    It was only built in 1990 but I think it looks dated already.Plus looking at the 2030 plans it doesn't seem to be in them.
    I'd also love to knock those horrible Civic Offices that were built in the late 80s/early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I noticed this structure too but the first thing I thought was it would have been better if they positioned it directly facing you as you come down from Shannon street as this would have made it possible to view it from the O'Connell street/Shannon Street junction which would draw interest and attention for tourists and people that might not know of the new development. Instead it's positioned closer to the front of Milano's so it's not visible if you're looking down towards the river from the O'Connell st/Shannon st & Henry st/Shannon junction's.

From looking at the plans I think the flag pole they are erecting will be located on Poor man's Kilkee which is good as that means people will see it from the O'Connell street/Bedford Row & Henry st/Bedford Row junction's which will attract people down towards that area. So many people have no idea the Quays are being developed and if I had no idea and was out shopping on O'Connell st and Bedford Row and noticed a new lit up flag pole I'd definitely stroll down for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭manna452121

Just strolled down from Glentworth st and they have opened the left turn off the bridge.

• Advertisement

Any updates on this?

Advertisement