Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

or a trampoline...please god let it be a trampoline

Nope, not a trampoline, the big hole is where the steps into the river are, they'll still be accessible from the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

source wrote: »
    Nope, not a trampoline, the big hole is where the steps into the river are, they'll still be accessible from the quay.
    We never get a trampoline :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That hole is just where you throw the trolleys.

sioda wrote: »
    We never get a trampoline :-(

New petition to the council for the hole to be covered with a trampoline, all in favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

New petition to the council for the hole to be covered with a trampoline, all in favour?
    Heated pool would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I wonder why the "hole" is so far down though. The steps by Clohessy's don't go that far down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I wonder why the "hole" is so far down though. The steps by Clohessy's don't go that far down.

I'd imagine it's just to provide adequate clearance and separation from those steps.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's just to provide adequate clearance and separation from those steps.

So once the boardwalk section is done(will they have done in a week or so)does this mean from Riverpoint to the boardwalk is done and dusted?I know Poor Mans Kilkee has to be done also

sleepyman wrote: »
    So once the boardwalk section is done(will they have done in a week or so)does this mean from Riverpoint to the boardwalk is done and dusted?I know Poor Mans Kilkee has to be done also

They may have the wooden surface down on the completed section of the boardwalk soon enough. But the overall structure isn't complete yet. They still have to install the steel supporting frame down towards poor man's Kilkee.

In fairness the section from the Shannon bridge to Lower Cecil Street has been finished for a few months now. From what I saw the other day all the paving has been laid on both sides of the quay down as far as Sarsfield bridge. There are a couple of sections of tarmac along the road surface that need to be ripped up and replaced by stone but that really shouldn't take that long. Lower Shannon Street should only have a couple of days work left in it too.

The boardwalk itself along with the new lighting scheme are the main elements outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

The boardwalk itself along with the new lighting scheme are the main elements outstanding.

I haven't been down in Limerick in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's been done when I'm down for Christmas. I was hoping the whole thing would have been done by then (including the giant flagpole) but judging by the comments so far, I'd better lower my expectations.

• Advertisement

I haven't been down in Limerick in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's been done when I'm down for Christmas. I was hoping the whole thing would have been done by then (including the giant flagpole) but judging by the comments so far, I'd better lower my expectations.

Same here-hence why I'm constantly wondering how progress is.It does look like they may have the boardwalk done before Christmas or is that being overly optimistic I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

BZlY6g2CYAAdfq1.jpg:large

ANother pic robbed from twitter.

Its coming together nicely.

Tockman wrote: »
    BZlY6g2CYAAdfq1.jpg:large

Any chance you can repost the photo Tockman? Unable to see it unfortunately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tockman wrote: »

What twitter account is posting the pics?

Looking at that picture you can see the new lamp posts are going in now as well. An indicator that the project is entering the final stages.

Please tell me the flood defence isn't going to be left like this.... If it is they will ruin the look of the whole job. Saw these on Sunday they've been put in every few feet along Bishop's Quay.

282113.jpg

Very noticeable looking alright.

Why couldn't they have hired someone to create railings with built-in/attachable flood defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Sweet jesus. No way ...

I can't remember it ever flooding there.

It was very close to flooding there in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

It looks like it can be removed easily enough. Perhaps they are just fitting it and then keeping it in storage until needed.

• Advertisement

I was wondering why that part of the quay was railed off recently. I can't believe such a crude piece of engineering could simply be plonked in like that!

It looks like a major afterthought too. I love the way they've just drilled though the new paving!:rolleyes:

This just smacks of a serious lack of coordination between the engineers and the designers at the detailed planning stage.

Such a hatchet job!:mad:

pigtown wrote: »
    It looks like it can be removed easily enough. Perhaps they are just fitting it and then keeping it in storage until needed.

The barriers themselves won't be installed until they're actually needed. They're demountable but the steel brackets/fittings look permanent. They are fixed in place looking at that picture.

Very disappointing and detracts somewhat from what is overall an excellent revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    Sweet jesus. No way ...

I can't remember it ever flooding there.

There was a time when the area near the Army Store and Squire Maguires used to flood, don't know how that was resolved at the time but I cant recal flooding there in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phog wrote: »
    There was a time when the area near the Army Store and Squire Maguires used to flood, don't know how that was resolved at the time but I cant recal flooding there in ages.

That was a long time ago if memory serves right. Think it was back when Arthurs Quay park was nothing more than a car park (which also used to flood badly).

Think when the work was done on building Arthurs Quay park, on the nearby quays, and also on the building of Shannon bridge that sections of the river were deepened etc and that helped combat the flooding around the old ESB bilding near where you mentioned.

pigtown wrote: »

Nope, they're well and truly bolted in place. They look so bloody industrial compared to the rest of the work that's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are proposing to make that section of quay and the adjacent streets 30 km/h.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TrafficManagement/DraftSpecialSpeedLimitBye-Laws2013/
    Nope, they're well and truly bolted in place. They look so bloody industrial compared to the rest of the work that's been done.
    It is possible that is just the structure and that an aesthetic casing will be fitted.

Victor wrote: »
    They are proposing to make that section of quay and the adjacent streets 30 km/h.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/TrafficManagement/DraftSpecialSpeedLimitBye-Laws2013/It is possible that is just the structure and that an aesthetic casing will be fitted.

That's what I'm hoping, but there was a good few of them installed when I was down there, and it looks like it's the finished product.

Good to see it's nearly finished though.Had a walk down there last Friday & it looked great.Hopefully something can be done with that ESB Building.
    It's another one of those depressing buildings along with Dunnes Stores that needs to be removed.It will be interesting to see will this money that's promised by the EIB be announced on December 9th.

Is the boardwalk almost finished, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Victor wrote: »

They put up the 30km/h signs at least 5 weeks ago.

As for the flood defence poles, are they really trying to keep this whole project dragging away by making it up as they go along ?
    Seriously, are they ????

Advertisement