Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Axel Lamp wrote: »

Ridiculous story. The person/people should surely face some kind of prosecution if caught. Just shows how easy a fantastic reputation can be destroyed by complete lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Anyone recommend a restaurant in Killarney? Heading there today

I'm from Galway and I was down in Killarney recently and I had a lovely bowl of soup.

What restaurant did you end up going to? Had you soup by any chance? If so was it lovely? Can't for the life of me think of where I had that lovely bowel of soup, it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Anyone know where there is a pool table in Killarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

jtown wrote: »

mustangs and mcsorleys

• Advertisement

anyone know what time there turning on the christmas lights tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

dobman88 wrote: »
    Ridiculous story. The person/people should surely face some kind of prosecution if caught. Just shows how easy a fantastic reputation can be destroyed by complete lies.

How do you know its lies?

Aodhagan wrote: »
    How do you know its lies?

Where is the proof that it is true? Innocent until proven guilty.

jtown wrote: »

Mustangs and McSorleys have two of the worst tables in town and McSorleys is €2 per game. Got to the Cue Club (up the lane next to Penneys on High Street.), professional tables, perfectly balanced and cheap food and drinks. €8 per hour which is good considering you probably play 10 games an hour.

Mustangs and McSorleys have two of the worst tables in town and McSorleys is €2 per game. Got to the Cue Club (up the lane next to Penneys on High Street.), professional tables, perfectly balanced and cheap food and drinks. €8 per hour which is good considering you probably play 10 games an hour.

ah ok lv never played snooker, just seen them before

• Advertisement

ah ok lv never played snooker, just seen them before

I don't play snooker either, but they have 4 pool tables up there and they are great. The reason I would say no to McSorleys and Mustangs is cos people in pubs/clubs rarely respect the equipment and spill drinks on the table. None of which helps the cloth or pool cues.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Kilkenny and Mulrany Co Mayo won Ireland's best tourist towns yesterday but Killarney wasnt even on the short list!

Aside from today’s two top winners, the other commended towns were:

• Cobh, Co. Cork
    • Drogheda, Co. Louth
    • Ennis, Co. Clare
    • Kenmare, Co. Kerry
    • Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
    • Murrisk, Co. Mayo
    • Tralee, Co. Kerry
    • Westport, Co. Mayo

Killarney is a far better tourist town than all of these put together!

Ireland's best tourist towns

• Tralee, Co. Kerry!

Sweet Jesus. Tralee. Tra-****ing-lee. Christ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Oh? All the Killarney pixies are upset hmm? The Muricans must be getting sick of wading thru all that horse poo ;)

Kilkenny and Mulrany Co Mayo won Ireland's best tourist towns yesterday but Killarney wasnt even on the short list!

Aside from today’s two top winners, the other commended towns were:

• Cobh, Co. Cork Blarney Stone.
    • Drogheda, Co. Louth Newgrange and the hill of tara
    • Ennis, Co. Clare Cliffs of moher and the burren
    • Kenmare, Co. Kerry Ring of Kerry, Beara peninsula, healy pass
    • Letterkenny, Co. Donegal Not a lot, Giants Causeway??
    • Murrisk, Co. Mayo Close to Galway
    • Tralee, Co. Kerry Again, Ring of Kerry, see a punch up in the street?
    • Westport, Co. Mayo And again close to Galway.

Killarney is a far better tourist town than all of these put together!

Those lists are more of a marketing play than actual facts imo. We know Killarney is a great tourist town and gets more tourists than most towns on the list so it only makes sense to market the other towns more tbh.

Sure look at the list, I have named popular spots close by in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Where is the proof that it is true? Innocent until proven guilty.

No proof to say its false either. I'm not saying it is true but it's annoying to see the local paper and people like yourself saying its lies when we don't know if it's true or not.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    No proof to say its false either. I'm not saying it is true but it's annoying to see the local paper and people like yourself saying its lies when we don't know if it's true or not.

I don't care what the local papers say, I am a friend of the man and wouldn't you expect your mates to back you up in public? So why does my post annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Does anyone know if the St. Brendan's College(SEM) Cycle is on this St. Stephens day??

Was one WICKED BAD day last year......!!

However - will give it another go this year if on .. but probably do the smaller run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone notice the number of different Street Collections in Killarney today. I spotted at least 4 different collectors - one each outside Post Office, Dunne's, Penney's and Dealz.

And none seam to be dedicated Killarney charities .... whilst they may be worthwhile - we should be helping our own charities in our own town.

I don't mean to be Bah-Humbug but I personally feel that this is pushing it!! Is there any control on same. I am involved in a local charity and have been advised that we will be lucky in 2014 to get a Saturday cos they all booked out. I am sceptical that the Gardai give 4 x different licences on a Saturday - so there must be some chancers on the street!

AND.... some of these guys today were a bit 'pushy' as you passed them without contributing.

...rant over

The only local one I saw was Tiernaboul national school.

The problem is that national collections like the ones today are allocated from Dublin not Tralee (Local collections only). Ergo you can have 2 collections on the same day. How you can have more than 2 on the same day is odd though......

• Advertisement

I won't even stop in the street for Concern or SVDP anymore. Got called an ignorant prick by a concern collector a few weeks ago when I politely said "no thanks" and got questioned and almost harassed by a SVDP collector when I refused a donation!! Why won't you donate? They badly need money. Is that a bag of shopping you have? Yes, it is and I worked hard for it!!

I support my own charities, asthma in particular cos my brother has asthma. Collectors really shouldn't be abusing people when they are asking for donations.

I do not donate to any charities doing street collections...theres a certain animal charity that l really supported until l found out there was a fella out collecting for them and put his hand in the bucket (pretty sure his not the only one). Its such a pity cause the charity knew about this and this fella is still with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

just wondering do any of ye know whats going on at liebherr, is it a case of liebherr being greedy or should the workers be happy to be in employment , what are yere thoughts on this as it is getting a lot of air time on kerry radio . personally i think they should be happy to have a wage (i dont ) but then again i dont know the facts, any opinions?

What exactly is going on? I didn't hear anything. But my first reaction is be they should be happy to have a wage. Liebherr don't exactly pay peanuts!!

their has been industrial action 3 times i think , its on kerry radio website if you want to look it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

listrybabe wrote: »
    just wondering do any of ye know whats going on at liebherr, is it a case of liebherr being greedy or should the workers be happy to be in employment , what are yere thoughts on this as it is getting a lot of air time on kerry radio . personally i think they should be happy to have a wage (i dont ) but then again i dont know the facts, any opinions?

The 300 union employees out of nearly 800 are holding the whole company to ransom.

They were given a 1% pay rise and a cash lump sum. But in negotiating that, they agreed that all new contractors starting there would be on less money. So it seems to be a case of looking after number one by the employees.

They also shamed themselves by holding a picket at the gate when the top executives were at the plant recently.

They are now not only putting there own jobs at risk but them of the other engineering company's that sub work from liebherr. And also that of the transport company's that transport the cranes to fenit.

From what I heard today, work that was to be done in Killarney next year will be done in the plants in Germany.

I'm just wondering do the people on the picket realise if they lose there jobs, there aren't many €50k a year basic jobs to walk into!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone notice the number of different Street Collections in Killarney today. I spotted at least 4 different collectors - one each outside Post Office, Dunne's, Penney's and Dealz.

And none seam to be dedicated Killarney charities .... whilst they may be worthwhile - we should be helping our own charities in our own town.

I don't mean to be Bah-Humbug but I personally feel that this is pushing it!! Is there any control on same. I am involved in a local charity and have been advised that we will be lucky in 2014 to get a Saturday cos they all booked out. I am sceptical that the Gardai give 4 x different licences on a Saturday - so there must be some chancers on the street!

AND.... some of these guys today were a bit 'pushy' as you passed them without contributing.

...rant over

Anyone collecting for any charity has to have a collection permit available to be inspected by any member of the public which is signed by the local superintendent and dated for that day between hours as laid out on the permit.

If you see someone collecting and are wary of them just ask to see their permit and if they dont have one on them you can ring the garda station to inform the gardai that someone is collecting without a permit.

...on a side note...

Does anyone remember the model railway that was down across from tescos and behind o conners news agents... anyone know the location of it now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What exactly is going on? I didn't hear anything. But my first reaction is be they should be happy to have a wage. Liebherr don't exactly pay peanuts!!

50k a year basic!

The 300 union employees out of nearly 800 are holding the whole company to ransom.

They were given a 1% pay rise and a cash lump sum. But in negotiating that, they agreed that all new contractors starting there would be on less money. So it seems to be a case of looking after number one by the employees.

They also shamed themselves by holding a picket at the gate when the top executives were at the plant recently.

They are now not only putting there own jobs at risk but them of the other engineering company's that sub work from liebherr. And also that of the transport company's that transport the cranes to fenit.

From what I heard today, work that was to be done in Killarney next year will be done in the plants in Germany.

I'm just wondering do the people on the picket realise if they lose there jobs, there aren't many €50k a year basic jobs to walk into!

50 k basic you cannot be serious,, for welders and fitters etc, i know they do a lot of over time and have bonuses and shift allowance as well, how much you reckon they on when all that is totted up, must be savage total are they mad to be on pickets etc:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 toffee dave

I have to ask michael999999,Do you work at Liebherr.

Advertisement