Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

patryk123 wrote: »
    I was walking down Ballycasheen Road last week and I saw around 6 people sitting around a fire there and also a person going out from the abandoned house in front of it, so I was just curious about the place and what its used for.

Ya, the family who owned the sawmill used to live there, no idea where they are now.

I sometimes notice the house allright when I am passing, seems to have some fire damage and some of the boarded up windows have been torn down, so I would suspect that it's used by squatters/teenage drinkers. From what you can see from the road any of the sawmill buildings have been partially torn down or collapsed, so I can't imagine it's the safest place to hang about.

Something clearly happened in town last night. The garda had the laneway off main street (Next to Der's) cordoned off with crime scene tape and there was a couple of them down there in forensic gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Some Hugh O'Flaherty events next week:
    http://www.hughoflaherty.com/index.cfm?page=viewNews&id=86&cYear=2013&cMonth=10

Sunday Oct 27th 3.30.p.m. – Official Opening at Muckross Arboretum & Schoolhouse by Michael O’Muircheartaigh

Sunday Oct 27th 7.30.p.m. – Italian evening of food, wine, drama, music & song in the Garden Restaurant in the Malton Hotel – Tickets €50 – (very limited availability – enquiries 064 6637928).

Tuesday Oct 29th 10.00. a.m. – Opening of the Memorabilia, Literary & Art Competition Exhibition at Killarney Library (The exhibition will remain until Tuesday Nov 5th).

Tuesday October 29th 7.30.p.m. – Opening night of Donal Courtney’s new one man play “God Has No Country” based on the WW2 life of the Monsignor. Venue is The Mangerton Theatre at The Malton Hotel – Tickets €10 available from 064 6637928 (or at the door subject to availability). The play runs for 3 nights.

Wednesday October 30th 3.00.p.m. – Official Unveiling of the Hugh O’Flaherty Memorial on Mission Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

oeb wrote: »
    Something clearly happened in town last night. The garda had the laneway off main street (Next to Der's) cordoned off with crime scene tape and there was a couple of them down there in forensic gear.

It might be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant for a special occasion night out that wont cost a fortune, maybe a good early bird menu or something. Something in the region of 60-80 euro including wine. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

The Bricín is very good and is in you price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wholesome Fayre across the way from the cinema is lovely, pricing is fairly normal but the food is some of the nicest i've had in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Stonechat.

Stonechat is out. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'm gonna say the Porterhouse because of location and from what I hear they do lovely food.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have eaten in the Porterhouse, used to work for the owner. Not exactly a special occasion place though imo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I have eaten in the Porterhouse, used to work for the owner. Not exactly a special occasion place though imo?

If its a special occasion best bet is Bricin as Rev mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Just a warning to anyone driving late at night, with it being mid term/Halloween. Twice already leaving killarney towards cork, eggs and the likes have been thrown at cars, happened to myself:-( pretty disgusting behavior but culprits are untouchable. A colleague of mine had a nasty crash due to this kind of thing this time last year so take it easy and be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

podmu80 wrote: »
    Just a warning to anyone driving late at night, with it being mid term/Halloween. Twice already leaving killarney towards cork, eggs and the likes have been thrown at cars, happened to myself:-( pretty disgusting behavior but culprits are untouchable. A colleague of mine had a nasty crash due to this kind of thing this time last year so take it easy and be careful.

Whereabouts did it happen?

I could just make an assumption based on your statement of the culprits being untouchable

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Whereabouts did it happen?

I could just make an assumption based on your statement of the culprits being untouchable

I'm not a local so Dont know the names of the areas. Last night it happened to me between the roundabout for mallow and the quarry. Monday night it was closer to the town. I'm hoping for bad weather, might keep the cnuts indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Was walking back to my car last night in College st when a golf ball was thrown at me by some hero in the passenger seat of a black ford focus.
    It was thrown with real force aswell,would have caused damage had it got me on the head.
    I waited in my car for a while to see if the same car came back around,unfortunatley they must have gone back under their rock.
    some idiots around:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

We'll be in Killarney in a couple of weeks and just wondering where's a good pub or hotel to watch a Munster or Ireland rugby match in town?

If you are looking for a place that wont be overly crowded, The Danny Mann have 2 massive screens in there, wont be any atmosphere though.

Charlie Foleys can be good for atmosphere but they only have tellys on the wall.

McSweeneys Arms advertises itself as a sports bar but I have never been there.

My local is Corkerys on High St. and they have 2 decent sized tellys on the walls, 1 in the front bar and one out the back. Never usually anyone playing pool out the back when a game is on and loads of space, decent enough atmosphere when a game is on too.

If McSorleys have their beer garden open (they usually do for matches), it is the best imo for a game. Loads of seating, almost a cinema size screen and lots of people go there for games.

The hotel you are staying in will have the game on, The Gleneagle is probably best hotel for a game. I always enjoy myself there whenever I go. With most Hotel's, the atmosphere can be hit and miss.

Hope that helps.

Let us know what bar/hotel you watch it in. I love hearing non-locals opinions on the town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I'm from Galway and I was down in Killarney yesterday and I had a lovely bowl of soup.

loveBBhate wrote: »
    I'm from Galway and I was down in Killarney yesterday and I had a lovely bowl of soup.

Sue we have great soup in loads of places town. Where did you get it though?? Thats the important question!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

I was in Galway a few years ago with a few friends cant remember what the soup was like but im sure we all had some nice sandwiches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Long way to travel for a bowl of soup! ;)

Radio5 wrote: »
    Long way to travel for a bowl of soup! ;)

Yeah that's it alright, just after booking flights to New Zealand to try their bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Does anyone know if the Quality Hotel gym is any good (Club Vitae)? For weights, etc? The membership prices are good value- 6 months for €180

kaji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Quality Hotel gym is any good (Club Vitae)? For weights, etc? The membership prices are good value- 6 months for €180

The hotel itself does a lovely soup.

Never been to the one in the quality, but in general, hotel gyms are pretty poor for decent weights. You would normally expect to find a few machines and a treadmill or two in there, and that's it, typically little to no free weights, no squat rack, etc.

They will probably let you take a look if you call up to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

There is pictures on their FB of free weights and a few benches.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=480760351992693&set=pb.452977574770971.-2207520000.1384002928.&type=3&theater

They always had great machines in there but it has been a few years since I used it. There is no harm in calling in and they are always friendly and can show you around .

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

They have a new gym in there that has only just opened, looks to be busy in there with a good range of equipment and members
    Haven't seen to many "big"weight machines but will take a good look on tues when i'm in again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

Anyone recommend a restaurant in Killarney? Heading there today

• Advertisement

Bricín on High St

Advertisement