Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I guess their APU tech must be very promising if they can get next gen processing and graphics out of it. Who knows where they might go with it, or who might buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Isn't there Kaveri APU supposed to have 7790 on chip? That's some serious graphical power on a CPU ~160 euro. True gaming 1080p capability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

EoinHef wrote: »
    So I cant see how the 7 series of nvidia cards fit in?

Well they have improved performance while lowering the price compared 760 > 660ti. It just makes them a bit more competitive I guess.
    I really hope AMD can get over their recent slump business wise, cause I feel like that would benefit everybody with more competitive pricing.....hopefully anyway:)

They should be in the green next quarter so things are looking up.

7790 performance would be incredible they would own the sub €500 gaming PC market.
    High end FM2+ boards also bode well for how Kaveri is going to perform.

G1_SNIPER_A88X.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

The R9 290x looks as if it might faster than a titan. Here's the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Been reading up on this closely the past 2 days. It looks like they have a winner here. I'd be interested to see how they compare when overclocked, so far we've only seen turbo'd AMD card vs minimally boosted Titan.

I may very well get one in a few months if I can move some old gear and some good aftermarket cards come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I'm looking for a wireless external HDD with USB3.0 connectivity for the desktop and wireless connectivity to Win7, Android and iOS. 1TB minimum, preferably one that stands on its edge.

THIS has caught my eye but at €165 delivered it's surely not cheap!

THIS looks a bit more promising at €60 delivered but I don't know about streaming to an Android smart phone or iPad.

EDIT: That's not even wireless! :o

I want to download all torrents here and then have a choice of where to watch them and on what device. Anyone any experience or recommendations?

:EDIT2: Please see THIS thread, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

DDR4 memory to be released next month Not sure if it's new or not but hadn't seen it posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Sarz91 wrote: »
    DDR4 memory to be released next month Not sure if it's new or not but hadn't seen it posted.

Why? theres only one cpu atm im aware of that can utilize it and that isnt for normal pc/server

and we're 8/10 months before we do have mobo/cpu combos compatible with it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First to market, they make all the headlines for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It makes more sense than releasing it after the motherboards come out. :pac:

... though we usually get motherboards compatible with both going by past experiences. I expect that DDR4 benefits will be of no value until it becomes completely mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Disregard-posted in wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Slightly off topic here, well a bit related..... I'm looking at some 2666mhz RAM online and it's out of stock on nearly every site including Corsair. The only site that has it in stock is Amazon (way overpriced compared to others) and a website called cleverboxes.com. Has anybody ever used cleverboxes before? Just curious before I go ahead and make a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Why do you need RAM that fast, (if you don't mind me asking)?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Why do you need RAM that fast, (if you don't mind me asking)?
    OFC I don't :). I already have 8 gigs of it in my gaming pc, I wanted to get another 8.

Here's the model - http://www.corsair.com/en/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-65v-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd8gx3m2a2666c11.html

I can't seem to find it anywhere (in stock) other than amazon and cleverboxes, which I have never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Monotype wrote: »
    It makes more sense than releasing it after the motherboards come out. :pac:

... though we usually get motherboards compatible with both going by past experiences. I expect that DDR4 benefits will be of no value until it becomes completely mainstream.

ya but theres a difference between releasing a month ahead of schedule and almost a year ahead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005YZO3MW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005AKK02S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Could someone tell me if these parts would do for 8-12 months until upgrading them? As in would they run games (not asking for maxed out, maybe medium on something like batman/Prison Architect/Football Manager at a decent speed)

Pretty much all I can/want to spend right now so just wondering if they're completely useless or just low end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You could get a decent amd apu with higher performance for the same money. The 5600k is great value for what it is. It has decent entry level graphics performance and good cpu performance. It can also be overclocked a fair bit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Edition-3-6GHZ-HD6570-Socket/dp/B0095VPAVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384741527&sr=1-1&keywords=a8+5600k&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

BloodBath wrote: »
    You could get a decent amd apu with higher performance for the same money. The 5600k is great value for what it is. It has decent entry level graphics performance and good cpu performance. It can also be overclocked a fair bit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Edition-3-6GHZ-HD6570-Socket/dp/B0095VPAVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384741527&sr=1-1&keywords=a8+5600k&tag=fczbkkcom04-21
    I was looking at it but I wanted the AM3+ socket so that upgrading would be easier and I wouldn't have to get a new motherboard too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I thought FM2 was to be the socket that would be getting all the love from now on. Is that just for APUs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I thought FM2 was to be the socket that would be getting all the love from now on. Is that just for APUs?

They haven't really said anything about the future of AM3+ in a while, a year ago you'd have said it will certainly see Steamroller cores on the platform, now I'm not so sure. At the moment the focus seems completely on FM2+ and APUs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Monotype wrote: »
    There's a patch here too, which fixes bugs. Make sure you read the part about requirements concerning different versions.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/

Yay I'm famous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

13174831087153.jpg

DDR4 RAM / System RAM is imminent, say Crucial, it will be out before the end of the year apparentrly.

Upto double the speed, 3 times more density, and 20% less power consumption:

http://www.hardwarepal.com/ddr4-memory-will-released-next-month/

It will allow upto 16GB per Stick! 4GB per stick minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Will just need to hold out for the motherboards & cpu's that will be able to use it then :)

Whats the best GFX card for around 300e?
    Im out of the loop big time.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A 280x or 7970 depending on the price/cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Could someone enlighten me please. I am wondering what the integrated graphics on the g3220 are equivalent to? Previous CPUs said HD 2500 or whatever but this seems to just say Intel HD graphics.
    Any help much appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Intel HD Graphics is a model. For Haswell There is:
    • Intel HD Graphics
    • Intel HD Graphics 4200, 4400 etc.
    • Intel HD Graphics 5000

Intel HD Graphics that come on the G3220 are better than Intel HD Graphics that come on the older Sandy and Ivy Pentiums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MRTULES wrote: »
    Could someone enlighten me please. I am wondering what the integrated graphics on the g3220 are equivalent to? Previous CPUs said HD 2500 or whatever but this seems to just say Intel HD graphics.
    Any help much appreciate

Its basically a marginally faster HD2500 AFAIK.

EDIT: There are some details on WIKI, it has 10 execution units vs 6 for HD2500, 12 for HD3000, and 20 for HD4000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for that guys. Now what I am really wondering is how it stacks up compared to my monster 7300 le which I have been using to play some games on? If it can match this or even beat it, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

7300LE! Wow, what have you been playing on that? Even a Pentium's integrated graphics performance will blow that away completely. Literally 500% faster at least.

Advertisement