Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't think anyone knows that yet :)

But Arctic sites says (and has said for some time now) that they will support the 8000 series of cards. These are the OEM models of the newer cards, released in October, am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nope, the 8000 series is rebranded 7000 series for the oems.

Is it worth me upgrading my machine?
    I have a 3.2mhz core 2 duo, 8 gigs ram and a radeon HD 5850 1gig in a cooler master cosmos case.

I'd be keeping the gfx card.
    obviously I'd need a mobo,cpu and new ram.
    Im just wondering if now is a good time to buy or should I hold off a bit?
    If I was upgrading what cpu is the best bang for buck these days?
    Im totally out of the hardware loop!
    cheers

It depends on your budget. I assume your processor is an E8400. Those procs are overclocking beasts. I had mine at 4.3ghz.

Your specs aren't bad but there's no doubt a full upgrade would give you a big performance boost. What's your budget?

The best bang for buck cpu at the moment is the amd fx 6300.

no budget in mind,
    I think your right on the E8400.
    Might look into clocking it for the larf.

Wow that fx6300 does look to be a beast.
    havent messed with the rig in a good while (bar the gfx card) so I kinda have a hankering to do something.
    But at the same time I dont want to fix something thats not broken!

• Advertisement

Well there's a lot of games that make use of quad cores or higher at the moment. The combination of faster per core performance and extra cores would give you a big boost depending on what games you play.

You could probably get decent money selling your old pc towards an upgrade.

You could make a new thread and fill out the sticky questions to see what you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys what do you think of a mid upgrade from ATI 5850 to ATI 5870 or Geforce GTX 295.

I'm not a gamer. There's only one game I play which is avp1998.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Guys what do you think of a mid upgrade from ATI 5850 to ATI 5870 or Geforce GTX 295.

Utterly pointless if you're not a gamer. AVP will probably run on a broken calculator it's that old.

Utterly pointless if you're not a gamer. AVP will probably run on a broken calculator it's that old.

I get your point but I need a good gpu to run it. yea it can run on a crap gou but whats the point as I wont get muy desired satisfaction.

I've run this game on about 4 cards now, gainward 8500gt,8800, ati 5850, ati 6870 but I'm not satisfied as there's still room for improvement.

I might be getting additional games but not now.

I use GPU for other purposes such as data manipulation, forex trading etc.

So is it a good upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would say that it's not your graphics card but the settings or possibly that it's not optimised to run on new systems.
    I remember running that on a pentium 2 and 3 machines with integrated graphics. Your graphics card is probably a hundred times faster. It's likely that the graphics is software rendering which is going to be dependent on CPU, which is still much, much faster than the above.

What's the problem with it? Frames too low? Quality not looking good?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    I would say that it's not your graphics card but the settings or possibly that it's not optimised to run on new systems.
    I remember running that on a pentium 2 and 3 machines with integrated graphics. Your graphics card is probably a hundred times faster. It's likely that the graphics is software rendering which is going to be dependent on CPU, which is still much, much faster than the above.

What's the problem with it? Frames too low? Quality not looking good?

It looks good buts playing with ATI 5850 it's slow. I compared this to ATI 6870 and my observations were right.

The problem is not the card, it's the game. A 5850 is around the same as a 6870 anyway.

Have a look through the options menu and see if there's different options for rendering - e.g., software, directx, openGL. Try different ones to see how it turns out.

There's a patch here too, which fixes bugs. Make sure you read the part about requirements concerning different versions.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is this a joke? AVP 98? Back in the day, us cash strapped enthusiasts used to run that game on a Rage 128.

GTX 295? What?

This has to be the worst trolling on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A broken calculator? The kinetic energy of a blended banana smoothie could probably max out AVP 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

gonna need to sli to get anything resembling playable frame rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The Prodigy M is official.

Turned out nicer that I thought it would, dont know if I would migrate from OG prodigy though.

1170789_10151852934076388_1601152361_n.jpg

Is this a joke? AVP 98? Back in the day, us cash strapped enthusiasts used to run that game on a Rage 128.

GTX 295? What?

This has to be the worst trolling on this forum.

I'm not trolling.

And SLI is a bit OTT.

The problem is not the card, it's the game. A 5850 is around the same as a 6870 anyway.

Have a look through the options menu and see if there's different options for rendering - e.g., software, directx, openGL. Try different ones to see how it turns out.

There's a patch here too, which fixes bugs. Make sure you read the part about requirements concerning different versions.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/

Will do. thanks

Guys what is a good PSU (650w - 750w) to buy from hardwarvansande.

I am looking in the range of 45 - 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Guys what is a good PSU (650w - 750w) to buy from hardwarvansande.

I am looking in the range of 45 - 70.

Why so you want a 650w PSU? A super flower amazon 650w will cost you ~70 euro.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Why so you want a 650w PSU? A super flower amazon 650w will cost you ~70 euro.

To run a gtx295.

Power consumption on that is high on a GTX 295, but you should be okay with a 550W.

I'm also looking to upgrade some components so the GPU will be long term hence going for more power & durability.

If you're keeping the graphics card for long term, would multiple cards be unlikely in future upgrades. If they were, you'd be chosing the PSU carefully to ensure that you have 4 PCI-E power cables.

The amazon is probably one of your best bests at €74 alright.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/24479/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+650W.article
    There's a bequiet 630W L7 which would be an alright choice though power is a bit less, especially looking at that 12V rail. More like a 600W or even a 580W PSU.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/50967/be+quiet!+Pure+Power+L7+BQT.article
    If it's in stock when you are ordering, the XFX 650W would be a bit cheaper than the SF. But it's hardly ever there.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/39875/XFX+PRO650W+Core+Edition+Full+Wired+Power+Supply.article

Depending on the number of items that you are ordering, you might find something cheaper from somewhere that has free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The amazon is probably one of your best bests at €74 alright.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/24479/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+650W.article

I hope this doesnt upset any mods but i have one of these for sale on adverts.ie. Bought in january of this year,have reciept and all original packaging. Bought off HWVS.
    My username is eoinhef aswell on adverts and if you mention this thread you can have it for €50 including delivery.
    I recently bought a 750w corsair psu as an upgrade because i want to crossfire 2 7950's. Which seem to be a bit power hungry:(

Anyway heres the link to the ad,nevermind the price,as i say you can have it for €50 if you mention this thread:
    http://www.adverts.ie/power-supply-units/super-flower-amazon-650w-80-bronze/3474461

If this contravines the rules mods let me know and ill remove this post

Have to say I cant get over the price drop for the nvidia 670's!! It seemed to happen very quickly once the 700 series of cards came out.
    I know there not ideal for higher than 1080p res gaming because of the memory and be better getting a 3gb AMD card but its still a lot of graphics power for sub £200! If I had a 670 and a motherboard that supported sli id be a fairly happy man now!!

I bet nvidia really regret not getting the wider memory bandwith and more vram into the 600 series(also the 700 series from what I know,I could be wrong about the 700 series though,maybe they increased the bandwith but not the amount of vram?) of card now, it seems to have handed the edge to AMD at higher resolutions bar the likes of titan and 780's at a time when a lot of pc gamers are looking to get into higher resolutions than 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I doubt Nvidia regret anything. They are still the market leader and make more money than AMD in most GPU tiers.

Mostly because of fanboys who will generally pay for Nvidia hardware when AMD have been better value and generally faster in every GPU tier for the past year.

Your dead right there, im sure they are making plenty of money but just lookin at benchmarks for 1440p makes me think that AMD has a clear advantage at higher resolutions with high end card at the moment and if they can maintain that performance edge at higher resolutions I think I bodes well for their future, as in they might not go out of business!!!

From linus techtips 1440p benchs, the only 2 cards to beat the 7970 and 7950 were the 780 and the Titan, which is to be expected at their price point id imagine. But the 2 AMD cards consistently beat the 770(although not much in it) and the 760. Now the 770 is about €100 more than a 7950 on average and a little more expensive than a 7970 (bout €40 from prices ive checked) average, even fanboys cant argue with facts!!! Although im sure they'd try!

So I cant see how the 7 series of nvidia cards fit in? They obviously have 1080p nailed but so do the 7950 and 7970 (bar a few like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 etc etc)and with the new series from AMD soon I can only see the gap widening at higher res anyway.

I really hope AMD can get over their recent slump business wise, cause I feel like that would benefit everybody with more competitive pricing.....hopefully anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I know AMD had loss, and projected losses, but I assumed cornering the next gen console market would make the company viable. Hope I'm right.

• Advertisement

Yeah I hope so too.
    Think it would probably depend on the amount of consoles that get sold, I would imagine there is not a massive profit margin for AMD on the new consoles considering Sony and Microsoft also have to get a cut and whatever other manufacturers are involved aswell but if Sony and Microsoft sell enough of them it'll all add up for AMD hopefully.

And I really am not an AMD fanboy, I was gonna sell my 7950 and buy 2 670's the other day, it was just workin out a little bit more expensive than I would've liked so left it. I was amazed at how much the 670's had dropped by in price recently

Advertisement