Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD connected to wireless or wireless external HDD?

Options
  • 01-11-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to set up a centralised storage loaction for all my music, films, pitures and documents that I can access both wired and wirelessly from several platforms. (win7, iOS, android) I want to be able to DL movies or music directly to the external HDD and than have a choice of where I want to watch them, be it on the laptop connected to the TV, or the desktop, or an iPad or even on an Android smart phone.

I have a UPC Technicolor modem at present and a 1.5tb Freecom XS External HDD I bought a few years ago. If I buy THIS router will I be able to plug it into my UPC Technicolor modem and use it was the wireless router? Then I should be able to plug the Freecom external HDD into the TP Link and access it over wireless with all my devices? The Technicolor modem has a USB port on the back but apparently it does not work in the way I want. I connected an old Belkin router to it last night and had the wireless coming from the Belkin instead of the Technicolor so that part should work at least!

I was looking at wireless external HDDs, but aside from being really expensive, it appears you have to connect your wireless to either the HDD or your router, meaning no internet while connected to the router?!

Will this setup work? And will I be able to stream fast enough to watch movies? Any better solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

You could get a WD MyBookLive , Ethernet cable from that to router and boom, anything wired or wirelessly connected to that router will be able to access that drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I've been researching options all day and that is exactly the conclusion I came too as well, will be ordering next week! I love the idea you can access it remotely also.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Glad you got it sorted, thats the first thing that came to my head but I'm sure if you looked around there could be better ones then the WD one.

Advertisement