Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options
  • 09-12-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Every time i catch this show,I am HORRIFIED at how anybody questioned is spoken to like a 3 yr old. I mean ESPECIALLY when they were hiding nothing in the first place. And their mental food laws, someone brings a packet of biscuits...

"You are risking the lives of Australians" I mean, I get it but surely they are going overboard.

"You need a permit for that cheese"

Why is it just Australia? You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

P.S. I know it's just a show but I have had my own terrible experiences with them too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A very delicate & unique eco-system to protect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Do you have any contraband in your suitcase, sir?

Yes, a knife.

That's not a knife, this is a knife.

That's a spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

WellThen? wrote: »
    Every time i catch this show,I am HORRIFIED at how anybody questioned is spoken to like a 3 yr old. I mean ESPECIALLY when they were hiding nothing in the first place. And their mental food laws, someone brings a packet of biscuits...

"You are risking the lives of Australians" I mean, I get it but surely they are going overboard.

"You need a permit for that cheese"

Why is it just Australia? You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

P.S. I know it's just a show but I have had my own terrible experiences with them too.

So as someone thats been to Australia, presumably you're aware of what a beautiful and fragile eco system they have??

I had no bother with them on the few occasions I've crossed the border. Nothing to declare/hide = nothing to worry about.

Great show btw. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

I don't think this is a very good benchmark to be fair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, I wanted to bring my pet cat, toad, fox, rabbit and Japanese knotweed to Australia for a holiday of a lifetime and the fcukers said no. Imagine that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As others have mentioned, it would largely be related to issues with introductions of new species in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

So as someone thats been to Australia, presumably you're aware of what a beautiful and fragile eco system they have??

I had no bother with them on the few occasions I've crossed the border. Nothing to declare/hide = nothing to worry about.

Great show btw. I love it.

I got stopped with a semi acoustic guitar. I declared I was bringing wood into the country thought I would be fine. As it was semi acoustic it had a small electric box inside it. They had to open it to look inside and check it after putting it through the scanner 10 times. Well obviously it was then broke and they were so rude about it. I suppose I'm just bitter about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

They won't let you in with a grand bit of meat in your bag, but they let thousands of pale skinned, freckle faced, GAA jersey wearing Irish people in every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It's hardly surprising why they're so strict, the amount of crazy stuff ya see people bringing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yeah, I wanted to bring my pet cat, toad, fox, rabbit and Japanese knotweed to Australia for a holiday of a lifetime and the fcukers said no. Imagine that.

You wanted to bring your Japanese knotweed for the holiday of a lifetime? You're lucky they didn't lock you up :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do you have any contraband in your suitcase, sir?

Yes, a knife.

That's not a knife, this is a knife.

That's a spoon.

I see you have played knifey spooney before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Last one I saw was a woman fined $240 for "bringing in" a banana she bought on the plane. I would have been as pissed as she was, very easy to forget about small things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I could only watch it with the volume down and subtitles on, I can't tolerate the Australian accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Duck tongues ftw

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

They fucked up once with rabbits, they're not going to embarrass themselves like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Yeah can't blame them really. Look what the non native species are doing to Florida and the everglades.

Their drug machine doesn't work either. They'd want to sort that out. It's always wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

MJ23 wrote: »
    They won't let you in with a grand bit of meat in your bag, but they let thousands of pale skinned, freckle faced, GAA jersey wearing Irish people in every year.
    the alcohol in the " pale skinned, freckle faced, GAA jersey wearing Irish people" kills most of the contagious infections.

I got stopped with a semi acoustic guitar. I declared I was bringing wood into the country thought I would be fine. As it was semi acoustic it had a small electric box inside it. They had to open it to look inside and check it after putting it through the scanner 10 times. Well obviously it was then broke and they were so rude about it. I suppose I'm just bitter about it!

While i can understand you being pissed off OP, as someone who watches the show you will be fully ware of the drug runners/scammers etc that do be attempting to enteer the country on a daily basis.

Sorry to hear they ballsesd up the guitar on ye, but at the end of the day, the electronic part in it could have been a detonator/ATM skimmer/etc for all they knew. Lots of folk tell them 'fibs' I'd imagine.

Isn't there a procedure for making a claim for damaged items in customs though?

The rudeness > thats just dickedness. Even in a beautiful rose bush you'll always encounter a prick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

malibu4u wrote: »
    the alcohol in the " pale skinned, freckle faced, GAA jersey wearing Irish people" kills most of the contagious infections.

I'd say they bring more than they kill to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I get the distinct impression Australias "we're mad we are" image is as close to reality as the American one of "we're all wild and free". Health and safety runs the place, much like in the UK. I read somwhere it is the Health and safety Sign capitial of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Yeah look at what the main invasive species has done there.

Ask any aborigines

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They're all such dickheads on that show! I remember watching it once and they were interrogating this American bird for what seemed like hours because they thought she had drugs. They wrecked her suitcase, found nothing and they just sent her off, no apology or anything! The girl was really upset too.

It's one of the reasons I never want to go to Australia. That, the 12-day flight, their horrible accents and the assortment of things that can kill you...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

worded wrote: »
    Yeah look at what the main invasive species has done there.

Ask any aborigines

Is there a hotline or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

and what's with Asians and food :confused: do they not know you can buy food in other countries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah can't blame them really. Look what the non native species are doing to Florida and the everglades.

Their drug machine doesn't work either. They'd want to sort that out. It's always wrong.
    Those drug machines are awesomely good. Was travelling to the States, used a carryon bag that a month previously had had a baggie with a bit of weed in it for a day or so. Fscking machine caught the trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

I get the distinct impression Australias "we're mad we are" image is as close to reality as the American one of "we're all wild and free". Health and safety runs the place, much like in the UK. I read somwhere it is the Health and safety Sign capitial of the world.

Caution. Signs ahead.

I wonder if you would get away with flying over Australia in a hot air balloon and dropping frogs with little parachutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Any excuse to post this ....

Australia was a .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZbaz3Wlfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Archeron wrote: »
    Caution. Signs ahead.

I wonder if you would get away with flying over Australia in a hot air balloon and dropping frogs with little parachutes?

French folk or the amphibians:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

French folk or the amphibians:confused:

The amphibians, I have a huge surplus in my garden.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

For me the offensive bits are when the heavily-armed customs/navy ships stop some rickety old Indonesian fishing boat hundreds of miles off the coast and get all self-righteous about their territorial waters.

Advertisement