Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westboro Baptist Church to picket Paul Walkers funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nope.
    Wow, your inciteful and well reasoned argument has totally changed my opinion... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

The gay community should picket funerals of members of this "church", see how they feel about it then? Not even the gay community actually, any right-thinking people should join in! Taste of their own medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The irony of leaving a charity event in a top of the range Porsche seems to be lost on posters here.

He is known for his interest in everything motoring. He organised charity events around motoring. Hence why he likes to drive top of the range cars.

And what, just because someone donates to charity means they should live a paupers life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

AngeGal wrote: »
    Not because you don't agree with them, but because they're hateful scumbags who try to make the hardest days in peoples lives even worse.
    I hate the way people simplify condemnation of appalling behaviour into "stuff that people just disagree with." Looks slightly like a defence of such behaviour too.
    Paul Walker still did a lot more good for people than the WBC ***** have ever done, which was the original point.
    Nobody said anything about the speeding by the driver of the car being among the good things that Walker did either, that's just a strawman.

Walker wasn't that well known at all, which would indicate that he wasn't all ostentatious about his philanthropy.

Sometimes there might be no harm in the Trollerdome being kept open - then the offloading could continue in there instead of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The irony of leaving a charity event in a top of the range Porsche seems to be lost on posters here.

He was at the charity event on the Saturday. Roger Rodas(the driver) backed the car in, with apparent clutch problems making the car stall. Paul hopped in to assist, and decided to take it to his dealership in close proximity. There is no irony, I still don't understand why people are so cynical over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

TheMza wrote: »
    The gay community should picket funerals of members of this "church", see how they feel about it then? Not even the gay community actually, any right-thinking people should join in! Taste of their own medicine!

The Satanists had an even better idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

He is known for his interest in everything motoring. He organised charity events around motoring. Hence why he likes to drive top of the range cars.

And what, just because someone donates to charity means they should live a paupers life?

Exactly. The pope sits on a golden thrown preaching about vows of poverty

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JordanW5497

Ain't the Rock and Vin Diesel going to be there? lol.

Ain't the Rock and Vin Diesel going to be there? lol.

Oh I ****ing sincerely hope so!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

_Redzer_ wrote: »

You should research before commenting. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0326/378507-pope-francis-vatican/ Im not religious myself but even I'll concede he appears a very trustworthy and genuine man who wants to reshape the church for the better. (Favours right to gay marriage is one example)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

The car show and toy drive event was held at Walker’s automotive shop Always Evolving in Valencia, just north of Los Angeles, with proceeds earmarked for families affected by the typhoon in the Philippines and a tornado in Indiana.

Not really shocking to have top cars there to gain interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Yes, how dare somebody like fast expensive cars, and also be concerned and try to help people in third world countries. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm aware of the circumstances of the crash, thanks.

And yes, you are quiet right, he could have made a discreet donation unknown to anyone, but given the circumstances of his death, the cynic in me tells me his "people " would have been shouting it from the rooftops if he had.

Are you a member of the Westboro Baptist Church?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

The throne isn't even made from gold. Do your homework first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Not only is the throne not made form gold, the Pope doesn't even use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

wprathead wrote: »

Hahaha, that is absolutely brilliant :) Lets hope it worked!

Ohhhh did I piss off the pope? As if anyone should care

Ohhhh did I piss off the pope? As if anyone should care
    Don't be so juvenile.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't be so juvenile.

It's the more the fact that you'd swear he's in rags. The Vatican is absolutely minted, the palace there is proof enough of it

Something good would have been putting his hand in his pocket and making a discreet donation like what most of us did, but I suppose there is no publicity to be garnered from doing that.

Since when did speeding on a public road become something good??

Must have missed that memo.

I'm pretty sure that setting up a charity which has raised millions will do far more to help than a one off donation. The man has left a great legacy behind him and has done more to change the world in a positive manner than you ever have. He never courted celebrity or used charity to raise his profile which is a lot more than can be said about many others

• Advertisement

It's the more the fact that you'd swear he's in rags. The Vatican is absolutely minted, the palace there is proof enough of it
    Wealthy in terms of gold and artefacts yes but I doubt they have much in the way of cash.

So what any way? Christianity doesn't preach forced repatriation of wealth, each person makes that decision based on their own morals. Besides do you want to see the countless Vatican treasures in the hands of private collectors?

Wealthy in terms of gold and artefacts yes but I doubt they have much in the way of cash.

So what any way? Christianity doesn't preach forced repatriation of wealth, each person makes that decision based on their own morals. Besides do you want to see the countless Vatican treasures in the hands of private collectors?
    I'm not talking about artefacts.
    It's a business that doesn't get taxed. Yes, they are exceedingly wealthy.

Vatican bank holds $8.2 billion

why isn't that money going to charity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

old hippy wrote: »
    Are you a member of the Westboro Baptist Church?

Less of the personal questions if you don't mind.

why isn't that money going to charity ?

Suppose they actually do like their money after all

You ignored the central point of my post "Christianity doesn't preach forced repatriation of wealth, each person makes that decision based on their own morals."

It's a bank. The church receives billions in donations every year but they also have thousands of employees to pay and the largest land portfolio in the world to manage. Have you forgotten the Holy See is a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

You ignored the central point of my post "Christianity doesn't preach forced repatriation of wealth, each person makes that decision based on their own morals."

It's a bank. The church receives billions in donations every year but they also have thousands of employees to pay and the largest land portfolio in the world to manage. Have you forgotten the Holy See is a country?

Pretty sure the original point was countering the posts suggesting that Paul Walker is a bad guy for being rich and giving to charity.

I think the church is fine (in this regard) as is Paul Walker. Each should give what they want, frequently celebrity figureheads help charities, that is why charities use them and there is no harm in that. None of this means that the celebrity should live homeless. Plenty of people give to charity without bankrupting themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Less of the personal questions if you don't mind.

Less of the nasty remarks about a dead person, if you don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TheMza wrote: »
    Hahaha, that is absolutely brilliant :) Lets hope it worked!

Ah yes lets go after a person who was never a member of the WBC and dies when the founder was 5

Advertisement