Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What the jesus are you on about how does that relate to what im talking about?Hold your horses there..

It's another unsubstantiated claim. You've heard of the boy who cried wolf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

So youre saying i never witnessed nepotism,and how are you the expert on my life and what i have experienced thus far i would call you a moron but thats getting too personal so ill refrain from stooping to your level :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

RTE could do well to broaden how far it casts its net in the search for talent. It is rife with nepotism, which shows in the quality. Many of the shows are independently produced, but by former or current RTE crew/production staff, so its the same ol' same ol'.

Back closer to topic, the tax is unfair. Even if Jebus himself was ringing the Angelus bells it wouldn't justify a forced payment for a service some neither want nor use. Imagine you had no electricity, by choice, maybe lived in the woods and you were being billed for monies going towards the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

For Reals wrote: »
    Back closer to topic, the tax is unfair. Even if Jebus himself was ringing the Angelus bells it wouldn't justify a forced payment for a service some neither want nor use. Imagine you had no electricity, by choice, maybe lived in the woods and you were being billed for monies going towards the ESB?

Sure that'd be mad. :rolleyes:
    Imagine if you didn't use public transport but they used your tax money to subsidise public transport.
    Or if you didn't claim social welfare but they still expected you to pay towards it.
    Or the library service, or the museum service ....

'tis lucky you weren't around in the 50s for the rural electrification scheme - most of us would still be in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Phoebas wrote: »
    Imagine if you didn't use public transport but they used your tax money to subsidise public transport.
    Or if you didn't claim social welfare but they still expected you to pay towards it.

'tis lucky you weren't around in the 50s for the rural electrification scheme - most of us would still be in the dark.

Those things you describe have merit. As it stands RTE has little, if any merit. It is a doss house for talentless hacks.

• Advertisement

Those things you describe have merit. As it stands RTE has little, if any merit.

Thats a valid but subjective opinion , not shared by the many generations of Irish voters who seem happy enough to fund RTE and who tune in in their droves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thats a valid but subjective opinion , not shared by the many generations of Irish voters who seem happy enough to fund RTE and who tune in in their droves

Which brings us back to square one phoebe.

Make it opt in. Subscription service. They will have no problem after all. Gospel according to you :
    many generations of Irish voters who seem happy enough to fund RTE and who tune in in their droves

Imagine if you had to buy a yearly Dublin bus ticket, or a dart ticket despite not living near Dublin, but up in Donegal and never availing of public transport regardless.

Which brings us back to square one phoebe.

Make it opt in. Subscription service. They will have no problem after all. Gospel according to you :
    That wouldn't provide a sustainable model for public funding of public service broadcasting at all. :confused:

Which is probably why, in the history of public service broadcasting in the state, that idea has never had any popular support.

Imagine if you had to buy a yearly Dublin bus ticket, or a dart ticket despite not living near Dublin, but up in Donegal and never availing of public transport regardless.

Dublin Bus is subsidized by the state, so we don't have to imagine people in Donegal contributing to Dublin Bus - they already do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Which is probably why, in the history of public service broadcasting in the state, that idea has never had any popular support.

Hard to support something when the technology wasn't up to the job save for the last decade or so.

Ps. Lottie Ryan needs a new handbag.

That wouldn't provide a sustainable model for public funding of public service broadcasting at all. :confused:

Why wouldn't it :confused:
    Sure according to you the people would be almost clambering over one another to wilfully sign up to it. Seeing as generation after generation that seem so happy to fund RTE in their doves. :pac:

Much like a property tax that the FG party themselves didn't even support. (even in their own manifest)

Since when has this Govt given two shiny ones as to what's popular or not with the tax payers after all :confused:

Dublin Bus is subsidized by the state, so we don't have to imagine people in Donegal contributing to Dublin Bus - they already do.

Ah but do they contribute directly by buying Dublin Bus tickets Phoebe?

You know, like they want us to do with RTE.

mikom wrote: »
    Hard to support something when the technology wasn't up to the job save for the last decade or so.

Ps. Lottie Ryan needs a new handbag.
    It has no popular support now either.

So people would complain if they had the choice to subscribe to RTE or not? I don't think so. The idea would be deeply unpopular in the halls of RTE..It would mean they would have to stop rinsing and repeating the same old rubbish and do some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It has no popular support now either.

I heard the Emperor doesn't like finding out he has no clothes on all right.

^^ What's this subscriptions red herring about? Almost any state service would collapse of that idea was introduced as a funding model.

^^ What's this subscriptions red herring about? Almost any state service would collapse of that idea was introduced as a funding model.

The BBC (for example) manage just fine with a license fee in operation.

Many more tv stations than RTE, ditto radio stations, a website that's the envy of many others, a news service that's up there with the best, and all without advertising revenue.

RTE also raises funds through advertising. Sink or swim I say. If RTE does indeed offer something that people want then they will pay for it. Good incentive don't you think? It would cut out a lot of the dead wood and laziness that RTE is famous for.

The BBC (for example) manage just fine with a license fee in operation.

Many more tv stations than RTE, ditto radio stations, a website that's the envy of many others, a news service that's up there with the best, and all without advertising revenue.
    Wow!!! You really don't the massive difference in scale between the UK licence base and ours.

• Advertisement

Should we cram as many people as we can into ireland,and force them to pay the tv tax so we can try to satisfy the insatiable apetitie of the nepotistic fat bloated greedy tv quango such as RTE..

RTE also raises funds through advertising. Sink or swim I say. If RTE does indeed offer something that people want then they will pay for it. Good incentive don't you think? It would cut out a lot of the dead wood and laziness that RTE is famous for.

You could argue the same for any state service really.
    The education service - sink or swim.
    The Health service - sink or swim.
    The library service - sink or swim.
    The Museum service - sink or swim.

Wow!!! You really don't the massive difference in scale between the UK licence base and ours.

That's irrelevant.

I'd wager that there's a hell of a bigger workforce in BBC too that need paid.
    How many different regional BBCs are there to operate?

Besides, this is getting away from the question I asked.

How does the BBC manage it with only tv license and no advertising revenue?

Take your time. ;)

You could argue the same for any state service really.
    The education service - sink or swim.
    The Health service - sink or swim.
    The library service - sink or swim.
    The Museum service - sink or swim.

No you cannot really argue that point,for a start education is a vital service to educate our young into the workforce,so is heatlh it is a life saving vital service,library service is a support system for our educational system,museam service is essential so we are breifed on the history of art and nations and so on..

RTE - Is not an essential service,i can pick up a newspaper and read it,that gives me all my daily info,such as daily newspapers.

There is no replacement for the education system or the health service etc,etc..

That's irrelevant.

I'd wager that there's a hell of a bigger workforce in BBC too that need paid.
    How many different regional BBCs are there to operate?

Besides, this is getting away from the question I asked.

How does the BBC manage it with only tv license and no advertising revenue?

Take your time. ;)

I think I could take all the time in the world and you wouldn't understand. :)
    You start off with the basic research and if you get stuck I'll try to help out.

No you cannot really argue that point,for a start education is a vital service to educate our young into the workforce,so is heatlh it is a life saving vital service,library service is a support system for our educational system,museam service is essential so we are breifed on the history of art and nations and so on..

RTE - Is not an essential service,i can pick up a newspaper and read it,that gives me all my daily info,such as daily newspapers.

There is no replacement for the education system or the health service etc,etc..

RTE aren't in the newspaper business :confused:

RTE arent the only newsprovider out there. RTE do 1/2 hr bulletins every so often,but that doesnt mean there arent other stations doing it,or newspapers covering daily issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If someone lives in a mobile home they don't pay property tax, does that mean they are exempt from this as well as they wouldn't be on the lpt database?

I think I could take all the time in the world and you wouldn't understand. :)
    You start off with the basic research and if you get stuck I'll try to help out.

When no logical answer can be given as to why one similar business model can succeed in one country that can't in Ireland, (without criminalising its citizens if they don't fund it) resort to beingcondescending .

**Slow clap for Phoebe.**

• Advertisement

If someone lives in a mobile home they don't pay property tax, does that mean they are exempt from this as well as they wouldn't be on the lpt database?
    Do you think travellers pay for all the stuff we pay for???? Think again.. :)

And im thinking they have a point..

Advertisement