Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mikeecho wrote: »
    what specs do you have for the camera system ? or are you regurgitating what others have said and making the rest up ?

For the record, I don't regurgitate. I only post what I know to be fact. I've probably come up against every police threat known to man.

As regards the above,its personal experience and hard fact. Its not exactly military spec or classified info. Its just a camera that has a very quick reacting iris and white balance. They are publicly available. So irregardless of lighting conditions it can get a perfect snap shot. The example I was shown was multiple passes with dips, heads, fogs, sudden heads, sudden dips etc. Snapped every time. Used for ANPR as well. If you search hard enough, the manufacturer has a video on YouTube.

You also have to remember the camera is day and night, so that adds a level of complexity in terms of filters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

flazio wrote: »
    The official reason is because somebody died there.

when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

JMSE wrote: »
    I see they've created a new zone on the N22 between Glenflesk and Killarney for the gosafes to operate. Humbug to that, I enjoyed manys an evening cruising through the hills to Ballyvourney happy in the knowledge that it was just the boys in blue I had to worry about. Why the new zone I wonder??

The RSA's road collisions map shows three fatal crashes on the N22 in that general area.

Personally I think it is irrational to wait until people die before considering speed surveillance in any location, but that's the politics of Irish traffic law enforcement for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 topcat31

was caught doing 39km on Eden Quay in Dublin which is a 30km zone .was caught by a go safe van but when i looked up the garda website Eden Quay is not listed on the map for go safe camera locations .is there anything i can do

topcat31 wrote: »
    was caught doing 39km on Eden Quay in Dublin which is a 30km zone .was caught by a go safe van but when i looked up the garda website Eden Quay is not listed on the map for go safe camera locations .is there anything i can do

You weren't caught by a GoSafe van. Unless the GoSafe van is in a GoSafe zone as listed by the Garda website, it cannot issue a fine.

You were caught by a Garda van. They can appear on any road in the country, at any time and issue a fine.

Can people please take a moment to realise the difference between a Garda van and a GoSafe van?

Also at 39km/h true speed, your speedo would have been showing closer to ~45km/h. You would have known your were well over the limit. Apologises for the harshness but as a person who has the utmost hatred for the vans I have no sympathy, its a well marked 'dead slow' zone which isn't very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 topcat31

it was a go safe van i saw it too late hands up i was caught speeding but the location was not marked on the garda list of locations.if you look it up eden quay is not of of the locations

topcat31 wrote: »
    it was a go safe van i saw it too late hands up i was caught speeding but the location was not marked on the garda list of locations.if you look it up eden quay is not of of the locations

It was not a GoSafe van if it was on Eden Quay and gave you a fine. It was a Garda van. They live there and they are allowed issue fines. Zones only apply to GoSafe.

Look at my post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83936423&postcount=7

If you are categorically sure it was a GoSafe van i.e. Had all the markings and trimmings, and looks like one in the photos marked 'GoSafe that can issue fines' you might have a case. But I sincerely doubt it. I'd wager your legal costs it wasn't a GoSafe van. They cannot process fines for images outside their zones. Note as well, they have more zones now:

http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm

Please carefully read the difference between a Garda van and a GoSafe van.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I heard the RSA announce a few weeks ago they no longer only operate in areas where people died. They added 700 new locations of their own choosing.

About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

With the new locations, do they have to have the speed camera signs up before they can start catching people? Or are the sign "optional"?

They added part of the N11 in Stillorgan and a sign has been installed just before Priory Avenue (going south), but there's two junctions between the sign and where they generally park up (at St John of Gods). Bit unfair to people who join the dual-carriageway after the speed camera sign, but before the actual speed camera. Also haven't seen any on the northbound side.

• Advertisement

bbuzz wrote: »
    With the new locations, do they have to have the speed camera signs up before they can start catching people? Or are the sign "optional"?

They added part of the N11 in Stillorgan and a sign has been installed just before Priory Avenue (going south), but there's two junctions between the sign and where they generally park up (at St John of Gods). Bit unfair to people who join the dual-carriageway after the speed camera sign, but before the actual speed camera. Also haven't seen any on the northbound side.

They can appear anywhere between the signs, not just 'exactly' where the signs are. The zones have only been designated recently so I'd imagine the signs are still being put up. For instance, the N11 from Fassaroe to Glen of the Downs is a new zone but no signs are currently in place.

However, if you take that as an example, there is no where for a van to safely park before Kilmacanogue. The usual pencil pusher in an office with a highlighter with no local knowledge. Its very easy to guess where these vans will be if you have any knowledge of the locality.

As for the Foxrock / Stillorgan section the Gardai / Garda van live there anyway so I never push more than the limit anyway. No sympathy for anyone caught along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

ironclaw wrote: »
    They can appear anywhere between the signs, not just 'exactly' where the signs are. The zones have only been designated recently so I'd imagine the signs are still being put up. For instance, the N11 from Fassaroe to Glen of the Downs is a new zone but no signs are currently in place.

However, if you take that as an example, there is no where for a van to safely park before Kilmacanogue. The usual pencil pusher in an office with a highlighter with no local knowledge. Its very easy to guess where these vans will be if you have any knowledge of the locality.

As for the Foxrock / Stillorgan section the Gardai / Garda van live there anyway so I never push more than the limit anyway. No sympathy for anyone caught along there.

I realise that they can appear anywhere in the speed camera zone, my point was that there's nothing to tell people who join the dual carriageway after the sign that they are entering a speed camera zone

bbuzz wrote: »
    I realise that they can appear anywhere in the speed camera zone, my point was that there's nothing to tell people who join the dual carriageway after the sign that they are entering a speed camera zone

True actually. Way too many signs / cost I'd imagine is probably the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

I passed a Garda Van (not traffic corp) which had a camera looking yoke on the dashboard just above the steering wheel. I am wondering can this calculate speed as I was roughly going 80 in a 80 zone. Cheers

The Van was moving by the way.

I passed a Garda Van (not traffic corp) which had a camera looking yoke on the dashboard just above the steering wheel. I am wondering can this calculate speed as I was roughly going 80 in a 80 zone. Cheers

A Garda Transit van? Be more specific. There are Garda Jeeps with ANPR.

And in all cases camera vans don't prosecute or operate for speed whilst moving.

Yep, a Garda transit van. So in other words I have nothing to worry about?

Yep, a Garda transit van. So in other words I have nothing to worry about?

Your fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Your fine :)

"Your fine" might be in the post...

However, you're fine! :D

Got I hate grammar nazi me when I've been drinking! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Okay driving along the Blackrock bypass heading into town and there was a garda car parked in the small slip lane where buses pull in on the opposite side of the road to the garda station. There was no garda present but there was a small box that looked like a camera pointing out the back window of the car. Im pretty sure i was at least 5kph over the speed limit so should i be worried or was it nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

If it was the size of a cigarette box or so, it was ANPR and tax/insurance/stolen car-related

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ofiann

Hi folks, today i passed a speed cam between oldcastle and virginia, ot was around half way, i was doing 80km, but i am not sure what speed limit was. maybe some1 can help me? about 4 miles after the speed van i did see a sign that said 80km but i couldn't spot it again on google map!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I was always interested in the long term accuracy of these speed cameras, if the are catching people for small amounts over the limit. From a calibration point of view it must be at least 4 times better than the recorded figure (this is standard industrial practice) eg. if they say you are doing 4kph over the camera must be better than 1kmph accurate.

DanWall wrote: »
    I was always interested in the long term accuracy of these speed cameras, if the are catching people for small amounts over the limit. From a calibration point of view it must be at least 4 times better than the recorded figure (this is standard industrial practice) eg. if they say you are doing 4kph over the camera must be better than 1kmph accurate.

Accuracy apparently is +/- 1.5km/h. At a minimum, its +/- 3km/h. At least that was the old spec I read.

But look at it this way, your car speedo is normally over reading by between 5 to 10%. So at 60km/h on your speedo, your probably doing anywhere between 57km/h and 54km/h in reality.

So, if a camera snaps you at 62km/h, your speedo will be (most likely) reading higher than 65km/h. So you know you are speeding. You know you are well over.

Anyway, Irish law states there is no requirement for the unit to be calibrated or for them to prove the unit is accurate or even in full working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Accuracy apparently is +/- 1.5km/h. At a minimum, its +/- 3km/h. At least that was the old spec I read.

But look at it this way, your car speedo is normally over reading by between 5 to 10%. So at 60km/h on your speedo, your probably doing anywhere between 57km/h and 54km/h in reality.

So, if a camera snaps you at 62km/h, your speedo will be (most likely) reading higher than 65km/h. So you know you are speeding. You know you are well over.

Anyway, Irish law states there is no requirement for the unit to be calibrated or for them to prove the unit is accurate or even in full working order.

That last part is a disgrace on its own. The equipment could be faulty but the drivers that it wrongfully takes pictures of will have no comeback.
    They really want our money bad :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Yes the speedo is always reading positive and it also depends on the wear on the tyres. I use my Sat Nav which is about 5kph less than the speedo and is more accurate according to Garmin.
    If it was a factory they would have to follow these guidelines for ISO 9000 etc.
    There is a large amount of uncertainty when they are doing people for small amounts such as 5 kph

My point is that it is a disgrace that they do not have to calibrate the equipment at all to validate prosecutions.

The same old speed guns (that have most likely been dropped a few times throughout their time and/or are several years old, are still being used to fine motorists that may well have been innocent but there is no way for them to have a comeback due to this flawed part of the law.

Guilty until proven innocent if the offence is small enough, it seems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

D_murph wrote: »
    My point is that it is a disgrace that they do not have to calibrate the equipment at all to validate prosecutions.

The same old speed guns (that have most likely been dropped a few times throughout their time and/or are several years old, are still being used to fine motorists that may well have been innocent but there is no way for them to have a comeback due to this flawed part of the law.

Guilty until proven innocent if the offence is small enough, it seems :rolleyes:

Meh could also work in your favor ... they don't automatically read everything as faster when they are defective :)

At least its not like the US, where in some parts its enough for the copy to just say in his opinion you were driving too fast ;P

DanWall wrote: »
    There is a large amount of uncertainty when they are doing people for small amounts such as 5 kph

How many motorists are being done for "small amounts such as 5 kph"?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87168415

• Advertisement

Meh could also work in your favor ... they don't automatically read everything as faster when they are defective :)

At least its not like the US, where in some parts its enough for the copy to just say in his opinion you were driving too fast ;P

Not guaranteed to read your speed as faster, no but they actually can do it and have done in the past. It has something to do with reflections from other cars nearby etc. A guy in the UK (Professor Clarke I think it was) was able to get prove it a few years ago. No links cos Im doing this on my phone but it can be googled for if you want :).

Cops here can just say you were driving too fast for conditions or dangerously also ;).

Advertisement