Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not heard of that happening. Not that a give a hoot either ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Not heard of that happening. Not that a give a hoot either ways.

ask mooman
    he posted a pic of the rear of his car caught by camera on the N22.

The OLD gatso vans could register speed approaching and receding.. but not at the same time. it had to be set to one or the other.

The New garda speed vans and the gosafe vans can do multiple lanes in multiple directions all at once

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ToonyLoon

Hi! Hoping some of you can give me some reliable information. Last night I drove through a small village with a 50km speed limit. I was doing about 55 - 40 km and there was a Garda car along the side of the road . I think it was a traffic corps one as it was a jeep. There was no Garda out of the car and I couldn't see any speed gun but it was dark. Can gardai do speed checks from inside their cars and could I have been done? I wasn't stopped so I don't know.
    Thanks in advance for any reliable info.

Relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Are the GoSafe Vans always taking pictures, or not? It's been 10 days, I was going 90kph past a GS Van on an 80kph zone, and I still didn't get a ticket. I'm puzzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Was that 90kph on your speedo? Depending on how accurate that is (probably not very) you might be lucky. As you can read a couple of pages back a ticket would be issued from 85kph and up.
    So if your speedo read 90kph but your real speed was 84kph or less you wont get a ticket.

@toonyLoon: You were doing 40-55kph in a 50 really? and you passed a random garda car? I think you can relax, unlikely it was a speed check and like above you would only get a ticket if your speed was upwards of 54kph (again actual speed, not what your speedo says).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

flyguy wrote: »
    Was that 90kph on your speedo? Depending on how accurate that is (probably not very) you might be lucky. As you can read a couple of pages back a ticket would be issue from 85kph and up.
    So if your speedo read 90kph but your real speed was 84kph or less you wont get a ticket.

Yeah, 90kph on my speedo. Let's hope that it was 84!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sobanek wrote: »
    Yeah, 90kph on my speedo. Let's hope that it was 84!

Probably closer to 81km/h I'd say. My car is only doing 120km/h at 128km/h by speedo.
    ToonyLoon wrote: »
    Hi! Hoping some of you can give me some reliable information. Last night I drove through a small village with a 50km speed limit. I was doing about 55 - 40 km and there was a Garda car along the side of the road . I think it was a traffic corps one as it was a jeep. There was no Garda out of the car and I couldn't see any speed gun but it was dark. Can gardai do speed checks from inside their cars and could I have been done? I wasn't stopped so I don't know.
    Thanks in advance for any reliable info.

Garda will in 99.9% of cases stop you if your speeding. End of.

It is amazing how paranoid people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What WHt ??? The voices are all around me and the Go Safe flashes, im not gonna make it home without them catching me ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(i made it home)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ironclaw wrote: »
    Probably closer to 81km/h I'd say. My car is only doing 120km/h at 128km/h by speedo.

I ran a few tests on my speedo versus my actual speed. This was over a few weeks, in different areas. I always noticed when going the speed limit, I was passing by all the other cars. Found out the reason! When my speedo says Im travelling at 60kmh Im actually doing 72kmh. When its says 100kmh, Im actually doing roughly 115kmh. When It says 120kmh, Im actually travelling at 146kmh!

Safe to say, I now travel slower than what my speedo says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Do you have oversized wheels/tyres or faulty speedo? ;)

AFAIK no regulation allows speedo to show less than real speed is. :]

joujoujou wrote: »
    Do you have oversized wheels/tyres or faulty speedo? ;)

AFAIK no regulation allows speedo to show less than real speed is. :]

Faulty speedo I reckon! Saying that, how long have the regulations been in place?

Unregistered Users

antodeco wrote: »
    [...] how long have the regulations been in place?
    Years.

Actually, some European regulation (don't remember exactly now) says speedo can show exact speed or higher than real speed up to 10 (or 15) %. So, in fact, you cannot be deceived by your speedo, in terms "mr. officer, my speedo showed 100km/h, I didn't realize go 110 really" if you know what I mean. ;)

In other words - real speed must always be lower (or equal) to the one showed by speedo.

Now, why manufacturers do so?

2 factors:

- safety (obviously),

- to avoid complaints. Imagine you bought brand new car and you read in manual it can go at 250km/h. So, you try to. If speedo is 100% accurate, you may not achieve it (weather conditions like wind, tyres, road conditions, etc.). If speedo lies up to 10% (mine lies 10%), it's less likely you will complain. :)

Car is over 30 years old, so I wonder was this pre-regulation. It could just be a faulty speedo. Same size wheels and tyres as original anyway!

Unregistered Users

Yep, more than likely just faulty speedo.

The most important is, you're aware of that, so you can avoid points for speeding. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Tonight I think I got caught by one of the b*stards! I was going through a very very rural crossing where there is just a garage on the road just before a slight turn, the speed limit was 40 I suppose I was easily doing 50, I say suppose because I didn't get a chance to look for as I turned the bend there was my friends in the van with the rear to me facing me, I slammed the brakes and kept watch for a light on the van, I sure I saw a very dim Orange light just above the back doors but I can't be sure if this was the light to catch me or a reflection off the van from a car behind me, as I said, it was a dark very dim OrNge light I saw. Am I being paranoid or am I caught?

gstack166 wrote: »
    Tonight I think I got caught by one of the b*stards! I was going through a very very rural crossing where there is just a garage on the road just before a slight turn, the speed limit was 40 I suppose I was easily doing 50, I say suppose because I didn't get a chance to look for as I turned the bend there was my friends in the van with the rear to me facing me, I slammed the brakes and kept watch for a light on the van, I sure I saw a very dim Orange light just above the back doors but I can't be sure if this was the light to catch me or a reflection off the van from a car behind me, as I said, it was a dark very dim OrNge light I saw. Am I being paranoid or am I caught?

Where in Ireland is there a speed limit of 40? I presume you mean 40mph and 60km/h respectively?

If you were doing 50mph in a 60km/h zone you probably we're done as you would have been close to or over 80km/h at that speed.

Yeah 60km sorry mate. To guess I'd say I was doing 45mph again can't be sure but wasn't going much more than that. Question really I'm asking is, should I have been able to see this light flashing? Also, I've only had the car since last Friday (it's second hand) so isn't there still a good chance if I was caught ill get away with it? I bought the car out of a garage, he said he only had it there 2 weeks so I imagine its still registered to the previous owner as I haven't received the log book yet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also, I've only had the car since last Friday (it's second hand) so isn't there still a good chance if I was caught ill get away with it? I bought the car out of a garage, he said he only had it there 2 weeks so I imagine its still registered to the previous owner as I haven't received the log book yet
    Nice of you to think like that... not.

If the previous owner gets a letter about speeding points, you can be sure he/she will be getting on to the garage for your details (or referring the authorities to the garage).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yeah 60km sorry mate. To guess I'd say I was doing 45mph again can't be sure but wasn't going much more than that. Question really I'm asking is, should I have been able to see this light flashing? Also, I've only had the car since last Friday (it's second hand) so isn't there still a good chance if I was caught ill get away with it? I bought the car out of a garage, he said he only had it there 2 weeks so I imagine its still registered to the previous owner as I haven't received the log book yet

Apparently the Go-Safe vans use infra-red flash which is invisible to the naked eye, so no you shouldn't expect to see a flash from a Go-Safe van. However, Garda vans use visible flash afaik. The dark orange light you saw was probably a reflection.
    As you were doing 80km/h in a 60km/h zone you probably were caught but you'll only know for certain when you get the notice in the letterbox.

Esel wrote: »
    Nice of you to think like that... not.

If the previous owner gets a letter about speeding points, you can be sure he/she will be getting on to the garage for your details (or referring the authorities to the garage).

Jesus, the good doo'ers are out. All I said was that I wouldn't get the letter because I haven't received the log book. You can be sure he/she will not get onto the garage for my details, he/she will ring up themselves and simply explain they sold the car, and that will be that as far as he/she is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

I see they've created a new zone on the N22 between Glenflesk and Killarney for the gosafes to operate. Humbug to that, I enjoyed manys an evening cruising through the hills to Ballyvourney happy in the knowledge that it was just the boys in blue I had to worry about. Why the new zone I wonder??

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Apparently the Go-Safe vans use infra-red flash which is invisible to the naked eye, so no you shouldn't expect to see a flash from a Go-Safe van. However, Garda vans use visible flash afaik. The dark orange light you saw was probably a reflection.

You can see the infrared (Depending on your eyesight and angle) as a very, very faint red glow. Its a huge flash on a DVR. Which could be mistakn as orange in some lighting conditions. Both GoSafe and Garda use infrared. Some Garda vans still use visible flash, all GoSafe use infrared.

If you really want to know if you've been caught, buy a DVR and check the footage if your ever unsure! Another bonus to the list of many for buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey lads im realy sorry if this has been asked before but if the go safe vans are using an infrared flash would the light from your headlights not then end up blacking out the pic ??

I admit i am only basing this on movies when you see people wearing infrared goggles going blind when a light goes on or maybe this is a completely different science

I think you might be getting confused with night vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

antodeco wrote: »
    I think you might be getting confused with night vision?

Ah sorry you are right first dumbass moment of the day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭flazio

JMSE wrote: »
    I see they've created a new zone on the N22 between Glenflesk and Killarney for the gosafes to operate. Humbug to that, I enjoyed manys an evening cruising through the hills to Ballyvourney happy in the knowledge that it was just the boys in blue I had to worry about. Why the new zone I wonder??
    The official reason is because somebody died there.

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey lads im realy sorry if this has been asked before but if the go safe vans are using an infrared flash would the light from your headlights not then end up blacking out the pic ??

I admit i am only basing this on movies when you see people wearing infrared goggles going blind when a light goes on or maybe this is a completely different science

GoSafe vans, very sophisticated stuff, compensate for headlights very quickly. Much faster than regular CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ironclaw wrote: »
    GoSafe vans, very sophisticated stuff, compensate for headlights very quickly. Much faster than regular CCTV.

what specs do you have for the camera system ? or are you regurgitating what others have said and making the rest up ?

Advertisement