Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

For Reals wrote: »
    A simple litmus test...check the About RTE, Vacancies page....*tumble weed* unless advertising the Head of a department post or some other noticeable position within the public eye.

So the fact that RTE are currently advertising for Head of Radio and an for an HR Administrator Intern (a noticeable position within the public eye :pac:) is evidence of nepotism?

Nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Phoebas wrote: »
    So the fact that RTE are currently advertising for Head of Radio and an for an HR Administrator Intern (a noticeable position within the public eye :pac:) is evidence of nepotism?

Nope!
    Agreed. That's all you'll see. I think the last one was a Violinist for the orchestra or something over a year ago.
    Please note, Intern is not a job. And yes RTE 'hire' many media students and the like on an ongoing basis....and drop them after a few months to hire fresh faces :)

Keep an eye. Going by that page RTE hire about two or three staff every couple of years. Which I'm sure is accurate ;)

^^ Made up nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

As for the bullying claim - don't be so childish. It doesn't add anything.

It makes up part of the whole point i was making about the broadcasting charge,these assholes need to be taken to court,torn apart,and made to let it out on a subscription basis,if enough people got together to put in thier actions to a court it might just happen.

A lot of irish people have taken this forced broadband tax lying down,if you were to ask people on the street do they want RTE - they would probably tell you there are better options out there..

It makes up part of the whole point i was making about the broadcasting charge,these assholes need to be taken to court,torn apart,and made to let it out on a subscription basis,if enough people got together to put in thier actions to a court it might just happen.
    Take it to court? Specifically what law do think the Broadcasting charge is in breach of? :confused:
    A lot of irish people have taken this forced broadband tax lying down,if you were to ask people on the street do they want RTE - they would probably tell you there are better options out there..
    What's your evidence for that? The actual evidence shows that RTE is very popular and there has never been any substantial campaign against funding public sector broadcasting in this country.
    You are - again - imagining that your own position is shared by more people than it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It currently is.
    If RTE are to be paid for with TAX to represent Ireland in broadcasting why are they competing with the likes of TV3? Should the National Gallery start showing Thor 2 just to bump up revenue?

The national gallery is also a mixture of state-subsidised, sponsor-subsidised, and ticket-subsidised. It's not a commercial operation though - just as RTE isn't. There are commercial elements to RTE, but it's never been intended to be a for-profit commercial operation. To imply that it should be runs counter to it's entire mandate.

No it is not.
    How it works is a relative gets you in to the post room. You do a tour of duty there and as posts, (pun intended) become available little Ronan, son of such and such gets into production.
    Then you have the glaringly obvious like Gerry Ryan's kid and Ryan Tubridy. Couple that with the myriad of sons and daughters picking up were pops left off behind the lens and you have a far from bog standard recruitment practice.
    Also take in to account that when RTE was made use independent production companies in an effort to combat this, the families simple set up independent production companies and it was business as usual.
    A simple litmus test...check the About RTE, Vacancies page....*tumble weed* unless advertising the Head of a department post or some other noticeable position within the public eye.

RTE are no different to any other organisation in terms of their policies on advertising vacancies. You might recall that they've been undergoing massive downsizing for the past couple of years, which has had an obvious impact on the number of new advertised positions. Nothing unusual in that regard.

Take it to court? Specifically what law do think the Broadcasting charge is in breach of?

It's in breach of my fundamental human rights,look up the constitution for yourself and check it out,check out other sources of law such as statute and common law and make up your own mind as to whether it breaches all these sources of law or not.

It interferes with my right to not own a tv or device that receives television,then why should i pay the broadcasting charge?

People then who feel they have to pay this broadcasting charge may say to themselves well i might as well buy a tv now and get my moneys worth..There is the thinking thats why you have percieved support and viewership..

You know why they changed it from the tv license to the broadcasting charge?So they could bully people who don't own a tv and have no interest in watching RTE through any medium to pay up.

It is a case of bullying if you cannot see that there is something drastically wrong with you.

It's in breach of my fundamental human rights,look up the constitution for yourself and check it out,check out other sources of law such as statute and common law and make up your own mind as to whether it breaches all these sources of law or not.

Pretty simple really. It doesn't.

If you've objections to a broadcasting charge, then you might as well add every other tax and levy to the list. The same 'principle' arises. Best of luck with that.

It's in breach of my fundamental human rights...

:pac:

We're not on the same page planet here at all hotbabe

• Advertisement

No the same principle doesnt arise with property tax or water charges..Purification of water is a vital , life saving nessecary service...RTE is not...

We're not on the same page planet here at all hotbabe

I guess you havent bothered to look up the sources of law,the constitution,common law or statute..
    So you see were not on the same page afterall your right :)

No the same principle doesnt arise with property tax or water charges..Purification of water is a vital , life saving nessecary service...RTE is not...

Remind me what the life-saving element of property taxation is again? Or VAT, or PRSI, or stamp duty, or...

I guess you havent bothered to look up the sources of law,the constitution,common law or statute..

No. I didn't bother.
    Maybe you can point out the relevant sections for us?

Anyway, since you're confident that's the broadcasting charge breaches various categories of law, I'm sure it won't be long at all before it'll be challenged and struck down. :)

I hope you're not going to go all free-man on us, are you? Taxation by the state is entirely constitutional.

alastair wrote: »
    I hope you're not going to go all free-man on us, are you? Taxation by the state is entirely constitutional.

It does look as if this thread is going down that road.
    I wish people would post the crazy stuff early on. It would save a lot of time and effort.

Can you not read or something?? I said some taxes are constitutional if they provide a much needed service...IE water purification is a much needed and vital service....RTE is not..

Can you not read or something?? I said some taxes are constitutional if they provide a much needed service...IE water purification is a much needed and vital service....RTE is not..

I would focus on your own written comprehension tbh. Care to list your supposed unconstitutional taxes, and under what acts they are determined to be so? Because, again - they're not. None of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Saorview boxes are not subscription boxes. It's cheap and easy to roll out digital receivers, not so much with subscription boxes. The technology is not in people's homes.

They had no problem installing Fancy water meters in people's homes. What's the problem with knocking together relatively cheap boxes to receive RTE (for those wishing to view it) :confused:
    And no sensible answer on radio subscription then?

How are the independent ones funded?
    RTE requires both the licence fee and advertising revenue to sustain it's current services
    monstrous pay and pension structures would be more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

They had no problem installing Fancy water meters in people's homes. What's the problem with knocking together relatively cheap boxes to receive RTE (for those wishing to view it) :confused:

How are the independent ones funded?
    monstrous pay and pension structures would be more apt.

When the analogue signal was terminated last October 2012, the public had no choice, but to get a new box, tv or have a tv provider like Sky, UPC, whoever, to provide the service. So it need not be a huge problem to have a box for RTE on subscription or demand.

• Advertisement

Look up the constitution for yourself,statute and common law,and see where the discrepancies lie. Im not here to help ya you lazy bugger. :)

You can find it on irish statute.ie,and constitution.ie etc. :)

To add there has been an increase in the amount of people being jailed for not having a tv licence,also there has been a 10% increase of those who simply cannot pay the fine - they can barely afford the tv licence as it is never mind the 1000 it costs for the fine,so they end up crowding up the prison system.

According to the irish examiner,it is estimated that the current €180m collected via the TV licence could be increased by around €25m if all households paid up.

What i want to know is where did that recent 25 million go - it didnt go towards improving the quality of RTE programming that is for sure.

There is CSI miami repeats,bad imports,reeling in the years repeats and shortland street and bad acting from fair city..

There just as bad as TV3 when it comes to repeats,there are no good programmes on RTE - which is why i refuse to watch it.

So back to the topic where did the 25 million go,was there a public report on it,did ryan tubridy and marian 4 hours work per week finuncane get a raise..Im guessing that is probably a possibility..

There have been no new staff taken on,no new great programmes on,so im guessing the bloated RTE stars just got a bigger slice of the cake..

Where else did the 25 million go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    When the analogue signal was terminated last October 2012, the public had no choice, but to get a new box, tv or have a tv provider like Sky, UPC, whoever, to provide the service. So it was not a huge problem to indeed have a box for RTE on subscription or demand.

I've told this to alastair a dozen times or so.

The blinkers are on though.

Water meters, which have reportedly costI €500 to provide are currently being installed where I live, to charge me for a service. Where there's a will there's a way. And for everything else, paddy tax payer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Serious question....

If you own five houses and live in one, how many broadcast taxes must you pay?

All five of them as they are different households,on top of that you will be paying five property taxes - im not envious of anybody with five houses..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Look up the constitution for yourself,statute and common law,and see where the discrepancies lie. Im not here to help ya you lazy bugger. :)

To add there has been an increase in the amount of people being jailed for not having a tv licence,also there has been a 10% increase of those who simply cannot pay the fine - they can barely afford the tv licence as it is never mind the 1000 it costs for the fine,so they end up crowding up the prison system.

According to the irish examiner,it is estimated that the current €180m collected via the TV licence could be increased by around €25m if all households paid up.

What i want to know is where did that recent 25 million go - it didnt go towards improving the quality of RTE programming that is for sure.

There is CSI miami repeats,bad imports,reeling in the years repeats and shortland street and bad acting from fair city..

There just as bad as TV3 when it comes to repeats,there are no good programmes on RTE - which is why i refuse to watch it.

So back to the topic where did the 25 million go,was there a public report on it,did ryan tubridy and marian 4 hours work per week finuncane get a raise..Im guessing that is probably a possibility..

There have been no new staff taken on,no new great programmes on,so im guessing the bloated RTE stars just got a bigger slice of the cake..

Where else did the 25 million go?

You forgot Teleshopping on RTE 2 at the weekends. :D

I can't find it because it doesn't exist.

You think that the Broadcasting Charge breaches various laws, so you should able to point to the specific laws you think it breaches.
    This is a discussion thread after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

All five of them as they are different households,on top of that you will be paying five property taxes - im not envious of anybody with five houses..

So it is the owner of the house that would be responsible, not the tenants (assuming I had tenants)?

UCDVet wrote: »
    Serious question....

If you own five houses and live in one, how many broadcast taxes must you pay?

Not sure about the broadcast charge, but the TV licence is playable if your second home has a TV (or other receiving equipment). If it didn't and you just brought a TV receiver with you when you visited the house (I'm assuming a holiday home here) then I don't think you need a TV licence.

UCDVet wrote: »
    So it is the owner of the house that would be responsible, not the tenants (assuming I had tenants)?

The tenant is liable, not the property owner.

• Advertisement

I gave you those websites so you can look it up - Lazily googling it won't help, a lot of journos don't want you to know how it breaches your rights.

In a word if you really want to know its like an extortion charge,its like a loan shark coming up to you and threatening you to pay or a prison sentence and or a fine..

Advertisement