Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm staying up to watch the Bond Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    robindch
    Being a good bible-believing "christian", you won't be putting up a tree, will you, JC?
    Hi Robin.
    Firstly, Happy Christmas ... I know it may be a little early to offer Seasonal Greetings ... but given the thread that's in it ... why not?

Secondly, I'm answering your question, even though it isn't on the topic of the thread, because you have asked it.
    Therefore, could I ask that nobody come along subsequently to accuse me of 'de-railing' the thread ... when all I have done is answered your questions.
    Anyway, to answer your question ... I will of course, as a liberal Christian, be putting up a Christmas Tree ... it's all part of the excitement and fun of Christmas, especially for our children.
    wrote:
    robindchI'm asking on account of Jeremiah 10:1-5:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah 10:1-5
    Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
    Firstly, you should note that God was speaking to the House of Israel ... who were under Law at the time...
    ... Secondly, the prohibition was on learning the way of the heathen i.e. worshipping a tree as an idol.

Christians are living under God's grace and I don't worship my Christmas tree ... so its perfectly OK to have a Christmas Tree.

wrote:
    robindch
    Before you answer, remember - your gods' law doesn't change!
    God's Law doesn't change ... but in this case I'm not breaking it ... as it doesn't apply to a Christian in the Church era, with a tree in their sitting room ... or indeed the timber from a tree in their floorboards!!!

Anyway, getting back to the topic of what atheists are doing at Christmas ... will you be dangling a Dawin Santa from your tree?

... and do you think it will become a 'must have' item for Atheists this Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

J C wrote: »
    Anyway, getting back to the topic of what atheists are doing at Christmas ... will you be dangling a Dawin Santa from your tree?

... and do you think it will become a 'must have' item for Atheists this Christmas?

Xena takes pride of place on top of my tree - why on Earth would I want to replace her with a Dawin (not sure if this is Darwin or Dawkin but it makes no difference either way)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's J C, arguing that God's Law doesn't apply to him in this instance.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I hate to disappoint you JC, but I really don't think we can be friends. I have many friends, and they are a varied bunch, young and old, highly educated and not not highly educated, male and female, religious and non-religious. Whilst they are many and varied they all have one thing in common, I can respect them.

I can't ever respect you JC, ever. So I'm sorry, but we can't be friends.

MrP
    I respect every man ... including yourself.

My hand remains outstretched to you in peace and Christian love ... even if friendship is impossible, at your insistence,

Sarky wrote: »
    There's J C, arguing that God's Law doesn't apply to him in this instance.
    I don't adore my timber hall stairs and landing ... and I also don't adore my timber Christmas Tree!!!
    .. so Jeremiah 10:1-5 doesn't apply to me in any instance ... and it also doesn't apply to anybody else, unless they are adoring their Christmas Tree as an idol.
    ... which seems unlikely, these days TBH.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Xena takes pride of place on top of my tree
    Sounds a little painful for poor old Xena!!!:)
    - why on Earth would I want to replace her with a Dawin (not sure if this is Darwin or Dawkin but it makes no difference either way)?
    It could be a wonderful conversation piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Christmas should be made a secular holiday. All the **** I have to put up with this time of year "You hypocritical Marxist scum!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

seamus wrote: »
    "Happy Holidays" just sounds stupid. It's too non-descript. You could be talking about your two weeks in Mosney. If people don't like using "Christmas", then something which is suitably generic yet specific to December is the way to go, like "Festivus".

Go talk to the American christians then, they created the phrase.

• Advertisement

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Christmas should be made a secular holiday. All the **** I have to put up with this time of year "You hypocritical Marxist scum!'
    I say "Happy Christmas Zed" ... and ignore the begrudgers.
    The Christmas Holiday is already a mixture of the religious and the secular ... a good model for other issues that divide us ... perhaps???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Xena takes pride of place on top of my tree

Eric Cartman on ours with a nice orange robe for that Buddha look, my eldest having an on again, off again fling with Buddhism. Might try and get one of these cuties for this year;

Santa-Bender-Father-Christmas-Futurama.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Go talk to the American christians then, they created the phrase.

No they didn't. Christians prefer Christmas.

Still I see the war on Christmas is going badly, November has clearly unconditionally surrendered. Halloween is probably saving us from Christmas in October - shops have only so much space for promotions.

What's funny about some Christian responses to this "war" is we should be fasting. For advent. I think. If that has even started yet. There is a Christmas war on advent, December and November and Christmas is winning.

I mean I love Christmas but keep it to 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still I see the war on Christmas is going badly, November has clearly unconditionally surrendered. Halloween is probably saving us from Christmas in October - shops have only so much space for promotions.

Nah, October is under siege already with many shops stocking Christmas items from early October.

Halloween could eventually go extinct and then finally the Christians will get their way and wipe out the pagan festival of Halloween...something thats been in the works for thousands of years,. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

I mean I love Christmas but keep it to 2 weeks.

I agree with this, I love Christmas (it just seems to generate a great atmosphere) but hate the fact its advertised so early!! I'm waiting for the time when I turn on the TV January 2nd and see an advert for the following Christmas....you know it'll happen!!

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Christmas? Is that the religious version of Hogswatch? :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Christmas? Is that the religious version of Hogswatch? :P
    No, Hogswatch is on December 32 apparently.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might have a go at this - if I can get the parts :rolleyes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Tree-Topper/

F9V4HGBG33OQ8TX.SQUARE2.jpg

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Im really looking forward to this pagan festival, already watching the Holly flourish. ..

http://www.controverscial.com/Holly.htm

Hail the holly king...

Geomy wrote: »
    Im really looking forward to this pagan festival, already watching the Holly flourish. ..

http://www.controverscial.com/Holly.htm

Hail the holly king...
    ... so it's the solstice that you're looking forward to then?

ninja900 wrote: »
    Might have a go at this - if I can get the parts :rolleyes:
    ... I hope that you don't get the noodley appendages hopelessly tangled up!!!:)

• Advertisement

J C wrote: »
    ... I hope that you don't get the noodley appendages hopelessly tangled up!!!:)

It's no harm - increasingly disordered states are thermodynamically inevitable.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I love St.Stephens day because my name is Stephen and it makes me feel special.

If you changed your name to Thur you could feel special every week.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I don't believe in jesus but I celebrate Christmas. It is a bit hypocritical if we're being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yellow121 wrote: »
    I don't believe in jesus but I celebrate Christmas. It is a bit hypocritical if we're being honest.

No it isn't. There was been a mid-winter festival long before there were Christians. It's just that these days people think you're being awkward if you call it Yule because they don't think about the fact that Christianity didn't invent solstice parties.

kylith wrote: »
    No it isn't. There was been a mid-winter festival long before there were Christians. It's just that these days people think you're being awkward if you call it Yule because they don't think about the fact that Christianity didn't invent solstice parties.

When did you find out Yule existed? It's an excuse to cover the hypocrasy but who cares? It's ok to be hypocrites sometimes.

It's not hypocrisy if you don't celebrate the Christian bits. There's almost no 'original' Christian part of Christmas anyway, so it's very easy to be consistent while enjoying the celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't remember exactly when I found out about Yule, it was after I learned about Christmas as I was raised in a Catholic house. I know I've always known of Yule, but it was probably when I started wondering if it was hypocritical to 'celebrate' Christmas that I learned of Yule as a pre-Christian mid-winter festival.

I don't think that it is hypocritical in anything other than using the word Christmas when we don't believe in Christ. I'd happily call it something else if I didn't know from experience that wishing people a Happy Solstice gets you called everything from a 'pretentious twat' to 'Christian hating', and that was just my family!

Pfff, the bible says christmas trees are forbidden anyway
    We're not the hypocrites :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

True. most kids were raised to celebrate Santa day :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'm an atheist, but yet I think there was historically a person called Jesus of nazareth(or however that's spelled)...believe they found proof he existed...

I'm an atheist, but yet I think there was historically a person called Jesus of nazareth(or however that's spelled)...believe they found proof he existed...

I believe they didn't but there are still a few recently published history journals awaiting my perusal in the downstairs loo so I may have missed this 'proof'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I believe they didn't but there are still a few recently published history journals awaiting my perusal in the downstairs loo so I may have missed this 'proof'.

Ok I remember reading something were they were certain to have had proof he was a real person...

We all celebrate christmas because it's what we grew up doing and it's what everyone else does. It's fun, it's hypocritical but still fun.
    And I think there was a man called jesus but he didn't have the powers they wrote about. He was just a simple carpenter but did some magic tricks on the side. It got greatly exagerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe Jesus's miracles were embellished accounts of his and the disciples' piss-ups? :pac:

Maybe Jesus's miracles were embellished accounts of his and the disciples' piss-ups? :pac:

When they say he was walking on water he was probably just dancing in a puddle.

When they say he was walking on water he was probably just dancing in a puddle.

I tried walking on water many many years ago - coincidentally it was the same night I invented many many new and interesting cocktails. I did quite well as it happens and after a good run up I got about four feet out before I sank like a stone and had to walk many many miles home in soaking wet Dr Martens. To make it worse the dunking sobered me up :(.

*nostalgic sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

We all celebrate christmas because it's what we grew up doing and it's what everyone else does. It's fun, it's hypocritical but still fun.
    And I think there was a man called jesus but he didn't have the powers they wrote about. He was just a simple carpenter but did some magic tricks on the side. It got greatly exagerated.

I don't think its hypocritical to celebrate a gathering of family and friends at the darkest time of the year. It makes for fun, merriment, love and good memories. Often there is kindness shown to others in the community e.g. the inviting of people who live alone to your house to have a nice meal and some company, to give back to your community or society.
    Call it Christmas (out of habit if you must) call it what you will but there is nothing hypocritical about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Pfff, the bible says christmas trees are forbidden anyway
    We're not the hypocrites :D

It also abhors celebrating births too, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I tried walking on water many many years ago - coincidentally it was the same night I invented many many new and interesting cocktails. I did quite well as it happens and after a good run up I got about four feet out

It's the Messiah!

followers_2023036i.jpg

Lead us oh great one!

Mr_A wrote: »
    It's the Messiah!

followers_2023036i.jpg

Lead us oh great one!

Mother says I am not the Messiah - I am a very naughty girl. :(

You are the Messiah! I should know, I've followed a few!

And only the true Messiah would deny it!

BTW, has anyone noticed that the Bannasidhemas ads seem to come earlier every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Say Merry Xmas.

Interesting that no one has mentioned that 'Xmas' is a well established Christian term not a secular one.

The common claim by Christians that Xmas is an attempt by secularists to remove 'Christ' from Christmas is not true, as the usage of X as a symbol of Christ first appears over 1000yrs ago and was used alot on Christian Art.

The eponymous 'X' comes from the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός which is the Greek for Christ, pronounced Christos. Terms like X'tianity start appearing by 1634 by well educated people who knew their Greek well. By 1755 the modern X'mas was being used, more commonly than it is now.

So to bring this back to the original post, it really bothers me when Christians lash out at people who use the term Xmas as an attack on "their" holiday.

However, I also enjoy the irony of my fellow Atheists who insist on using Xmas as opposed to Christmas when trying to avoid religious connotations. To those guys I simply say "FAIL!!":P

Dude, you can let go of the hypocrisy thing. You've nothing to feel guilty about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

I am an atheist and Chrimbo doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoy it for what it is not for what it represents, a holiday with nice food and gifts. good tv and chocolate...roll on Christmas I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Interesting that no one has mentioned that 'Xmas' is a well established Christian term not a secular one.

The common claim by Christians that Xmas is an attempt by secularists to remove 'Christ' from Christmas is not true, as the usage of X as a symbol of Christ first appears over 1000yrs ago and was used alot on Christian Art.

The eponymous 'X' comes from the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός which is the Greek for Christ, pronounced Christos. Terms like X'tianity start appearing by 1634 by well educated people who knew their Greek well. By 1755 the modern X'mas was being used, more commonly than it is now.

So to bring this back to the original post, it really bothers me when Christians lash out at people who use the term Xmas as an attack on "their" holiday.

However, I also enjoy the irony of my fellow Atheists who insist on using Xmas as opposed to Christmas when trying to avoid religious connotations. To those guys I simply say "FAIL!!":P

They're probably sick of me mentioning it every year. (Although I do it through [latex]LaTeX[/latex])
    [latex]Merry\; \chi mas![/latex]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

:mad:I celebrate the mid winter festival.. that the bloody christians stole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The real fail is pronouncing it ecks-mas.

Anyways, shouldn't the thread title be changed to "Filthy Christians stealing our mid-winter festival"?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The real fail is pronouncing it ecks-mas.

I like that pronunciation. Sounds sexy, hints of ninjas and explosions. But then again I view everything to do with winter festivities through the lens of Die Hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement