Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shiner11 wrote: »
    What can you say to an atheist at this time of year?
    You can't say Merry Christmas as they don't believe in God.
    You can't say Merry Xmas because they don't go to mass.

What should you say to them?

Say Merry Xmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What are you having? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Right. Nobody really anwsered and regardless whether you are vegan or haven't got kids I was speaking hypothetically. Im agnostic by the way but I enjoy the holiday. Having one day off a year like xmas is nice and very warm. Why abolish it? What would you replace it with?

wait, whose trying to abolish it? :confused:

You can read their thread and see if it answers any of you questions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Happy holidays and seasons greetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What do you say when you want to meet them on a Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Right. Nobody really anwsered and regardless whether you are vegan or haven't got kids I was speaking hypothetically. Im agnostic by the way but I enjoy the holiday. Having one day off a year like xmas is nice and very warm. Why abolish it? What would you replace it with?

Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?
    Thats a good question. I tend to swing between both. I believe its possible that there could be something higher than us but i dont completely believe its there. Im probably a mixture of both. I have zero faith in religion! Zero. I just like the warm atmosphere with family and friends at christmas. I place zero importance on the religious tradition of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Merry christmas.
    What? I dont care about people saying "Thursday" to me and I dont believe in Thor too.

I have zero faith in religion! Zero. I just like the warm atmosphere with family and friends at christmas. I place zero importance on the religious tradition of it though

Congrats. You're the same as the majority of posters on A&A who enjoy Christmas in exactly the same way you do!

I remember i had a ex friend who was atheist. He believed when we die we just rot and feed flowers. He had some very shallow and cynical views on life. He depressed the f*ck out of me. He was extremely intelligent but he was one of these people who only cared about himself and didnt care about others. He kinda gave me a very negative attitude towards atheists. I suffer major depression if i were to follow his views i would never feel optimistic. Id prob top myself actually knowing that ill suffer this illness all my life knowing ill die for nothing. I keep my mind open there could be a release after death. That small small bit of hope aided me completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i dont see what is so depressing about ceasing to exist after death, if we do
    i mean i dont believe we do but what's so wrong with it?!
    what difference does it make when you are here living life, experiencing all of it

• Advertisement

I remember i had a ex friend who was atheist. He believed when we die we just rot and feed flowers. He had some very shallow and cynical views on life. He depressed the f*ck out of me. He was extremely intelligent but he was one of these people who only cared about himself and didnt care about others. He kinda gave me a very negative attitude towards atheists. I suffer major depression if i were to follow his views i would never feel optimistic. Id prob top myself actually knowing that ill suffer this illness all my life knowing ill die for nothing. I keep my mind open there could be a release after death. That small small bit of hope aided me completely.

That's nice. Now are you going to acknowledge that I've been taking the time to respond to you or will you just wade in with another random thought ten minutes from now?

Galvasean wrote: »

That's nice. Now are you going to acknowledge that I've been taking the time to respond to you or will you just wade in with another random thought ten minutes from now?
    Right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I remember i had a ex friend who was atheist. He believed when we die we just rot and feed flowers.
    Awwww, that's beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Id prob top myself actually knowing that ill suffer this illness all my life knowing ill die for nothing.

1. Talk to someone, get help dealing with depression. Just because you're prone to it doesn't mean you have to suffer from it forever.

2. Don't die for nothing. Find something worth doing. It's surprisingly easy once you get over the hurdles depression causes, or the tendancy of religion to make you feel guilty over trivial things. Treasure your friends. Do stuff you like. Have a look at how amazing the world is.

As for Christmas, most people would be in favour of the idea of setting a couple of days aside a year to just chill with friends and family and acknowledge the fact that you're glad they're part of your life with a couple of presents, a few drinks, a nice meal and such. Might as well nick mid-December from the Christians to do it. After all, it's tradition to steal holidays from other cultures for your own purposes...

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I remember i had a ex friend who was atheist. He believed when we die we just rot and feed flowers.
    Awwww, that's beautiful!
    Do you get off on sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

You'll find that's all many of them have. I really feel sorry for them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I just met a Jewish fellow I know and we chatted for a while. Then he went his way, but not before saying "Merry Christmas" to me, and I said "Happy Hanukah" to him. I'm definitely an atheist and I don't think he's particularly religious, either, but what's the harm in joining in the spirit when most people in the country are getting ready to party?;););)

Sarky wrote: »
    Id prob top myself actually knowing that ill suffer this illness all my life knowing ill die for nothing.

1. Talk to someone, get help dealing with depression. Just because you're prone to it doesn't mean you have to suffer from it forever.

2. Don't die for nothing. Find something worth doing. It's surprisingly easy once you get over the hurdles depression causes, or the tendancy of religion to make you feel guilty over trivial things. Treasure your friends. Do stuff you like. Have a look at how amazing the world is.

As for Christmas, most people would be in favour of the idea of setting a couple of days aside a year to just chill with friends and family and acknowledge the fact that you're glad they're part of your life with a couple of presents, a few drinks, a nice meal and such. Might as well nick mid-December from the Christians to do it. After all, it's tradition to steal holidays from other cultures for your own purposes...
    You are right. Thanks for that :-) you made an effort to post a positive response rather than act a sheep by liking someones sarcastic response to an idividual everyone gangs up on. Shows strength of character when using an anonymous forum

You'll find that's all many of them have. I really feel sorry for them to be honest.

How pathetically disingenuous.

We have irony too.

Oh, and also full, rich, regret-free lives that have nothing to do with imaginary tyrants, but you always forget that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I heard about a black guy who killed his ex-wife once. It gave me a very negative attitude towards black people.

Also don't rely on God for redemption when you're suffering by depression, somewhat surprised you haven't realised this. I was very depressed a few years ago, somehow I'm more or less OK now without deluding myself.

• Advertisement

Its pretty sad really.

Its pretty sad really.

At least now you can't say anything about our condescension without being hypocritical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

amacachi wrote: »
    I heard about a black guy who killed his ex-wife once.
    Was he able to do it a second time?

amacachi wrote: »

I heard about a black guy who killed his ex-wife once. It gave me a very negative attitude towards black people.

Also don't rely on God for redemption when you're suffering by depression, somewhat surprised you haven't realised this. I was very depressed a few years ago, somehow I'm more or less OK now without deluding myself.
    I dont deny or believe anything! Like i said

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Says Mr-Drop-In-And-Out-Of-Threads-Leaving-One-Liners.

sandmanporto - don't be misled by The Quadratic Equation or the occasional response you don't like into flash generalisations.

You are right. Thanks for that :-) you made an effort to post a positive response rather than act a sheep by liking someones sarcastic response to an idividual everyone gangs up on. Shows strength of character when using an anonymous forum

I'd say the reason for the sarcasm is that people who generally start a thread like this tend to be the religious sort of chap who, to mix metaphors, can't understand why someone who doesn't collect invisible stamps like they do still manage to enjoy this time of year without having to fall on their knees and grovel before an imaginary invisible psychotic tyrant.

They probably don't mean any harm. Being constantly called the living dead or told that there's somehow a massive hole in our lives because bible blahblahblah tends to result in a certain jaded cynicism.

I'd blame the religious folk myself. After all, it's all they have really...

robindch wrote: »
    Was he able to do it a second time?

Well he didn't go to prison and has another ex-wife so I'm sure he could.

I feel sorry for you for different reasons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    What do you say when you want to meet them on a Thursday?

Avengers Assemble!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Christmas day sucks anyway. St Stephens days where its at. Me and buddies of mine will be honouring the tradition of 'chasing the wren' because we get to dress up in wicker bull heads and play trad music.

not us but it gives you an idea

dreoil07.jpg

EDIT: Oh, if anyone knows anyone who looks like Brit Ekland and can effect a scottish accent, pm me.

no reason.

Advertisement