Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Must win in the next two years if ye are going to win.

Not sure I agree with that. I think 2 or three years from now will see us at our peak. Any retirements will have happened, the older players left will still be at about their peak, the current younger players should have stepped up and started fulfilling potential, and a few of the current minors will be about 21 or so and should have developed into quality seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Not sure I agree with that. I think 2 or three years from now will see us at our peak. Any retirements will have happened, the older players left will still be at about their peak, the current younger players should have stepped up and started fulfilling potential, and a few of the current minors will be about 21 or so and should have developed into quality seniors.

O grady is gone in two years and kilkenny in particular will be getting stronger.

Cork are very young and with jbm should hit peak them.He might go in two years though.

Limerick have a core of expierenced guys on this team that the next two years is their time.

If ye dont win with tj and ogrady,ye havent much chance with tj on hes own.

The next two years are vital.

Their is no point in setting a comfort zone and saying otherwise,or ye will be like the cork footballers a wasted oppurinty,dark winter nights cursed by thoughts of what might have been when it should of been we are all ireland champions.

Our hurlers also Must win in two years as when jbm goes the board will probably appoint kenneally and cork hurling will be in awful place if that,or ger fitzgerald,john morteil or teddy mac,are anywhere near the team.

This talk of we can build for the future is fine within reason with a young team,but limerick have been on the radar for two years.

Setting comforts zones is dangerous as it ends in tommorrow never comes and a case of whats another year.

Limerick must deliver with this crop like our football team within the next two years,as the longer ye don't win the harder it becomes.

Time to deliver now,thats why o grady is a great appointment but im cautious as he's role is undefinfed.

Limerick wanted a local man but sometimes the best man for the job is just the best man,no two ways about it.

Their was better candiates than tj.Tj should of been a selector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

O grady is gone in two years and kilkenny in particular will be getting stronger.

Cork are very young and with jbm should hit peak them.He might go in two years though.

Limerick have a core of expierenced guys on this team that the next two years is their time.

If ye dont win with tj and ogrady,ye havent much chance with tj on hes own.

The next two years are vital.

Their is no point in setting a comfort zone and saying otherwise,or ye will be like the cork footballers a wasted oppurinty,dark winter nights cursed by thoughts of what might have been when it should of been we are all ireland champions.

Our hurlers also Must win in two years as when jbm goes the board will probably appoint kenneally and cork hurling will be in awful place if that,or ger fitzgerald,john morteil or teddy mac,are anywhere near the team.

This talk of we can build for the future is fine within reason with a young team,but limerick have been on the radar for two years.

Setting comforts zones is dangerous as it ends in tommorrow never comes and a case of whats another year.

Limerick must deliver with this crop like our football team within the next two years,as the longer ye don't win the harder it becomes.

Time to deliver now,thats why o grady is a great appointment but im cautious as he's role is undefinfed.

Limerick wanted a local man but sometimes the best man for the job is just the best man,no two ways about it.

Their was better candiates than tj.Tj should of been a selector.

I agree, we saw how clare wiped the floor with cork, limk and galway and they are young. Can't be using age as a factor anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Grats

O grady won the all ireland with cork,well proven.

Its joint manager that im not sure what to make of.

The thread i thought be buzzing tonight,quiet enough.

Michael Bond managed Offaly to an All Ireland win. Liam Griffin did it with Wexford. Neither used the media platform to promote themselves as something special. O'Grady and Allen couldn't manage to get Limerick promoted from 1B.

Grats wrote: »
    Michael Bond managed Offaly to an All Ireland win. Liam Griffin did it with Wexford. Neither used the media platform to promote themselves as something special. O'Grady and Allen couldn't manage to get Limerick promoted from 1B.
    Wrong wrong kid.

O grady got ye promoted but they changed the format..Its fine to criticise him if you have the fact to back it up.
    Bond lucky manager took over offaly when babs had insulted them and they were a team alread built.

Griffin was a great manager.O grady won cork an all ireland and built the 2003-2006 team.

• Advertisement

Wrong wrong kid.

O grady got ye promoted.Its fine to criticise him if you have the fact to back it up.
    Bond lucky manager took over offaly when babs had insulted them and they were a team alread built.

Griffin was a great manager.O grady won cork an all ireland and built the 2003-2006 team.

In fairness you can't blame o grady for promotion when the gaa changed the rules. that was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Wrong wrong kid.

O grady got ye promoted.Its fine to criticise him if you have the fact to back it up.

Grats is not from Limerick, its Donal O'Grady he has a problem with, or anyone that says or does anything negative towards KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

O'Grady is a great manager. He has won it all, and worked wonders with Limerick in his previous reign, with promotion although this was changed because of a rule change and 2 fantastic victories over Antrim and Wexford in the qualifiers

Rightwing wrote: »
    In fairness you can't blame o grady for promotion when the gaa changed the rules. that was a disgrace.
    Yeah i agree.

You're mans comment was clueless when o grady won the league play off.

FAO of the TJ and Donal, since you both have dodgy records on team selections, here are your options for a starting 15.

1 Quaid, Murphy
    2 Walsh, Dempsey, Carmody
    3 Richie
    4 Condon, Dempsey
    5 Wayne Mc, Paudie, Hickey, James O'Brien, Quaid
    6 Hickey, O'Grady outside shot of J O'Brien, Quaid, McNamara (Doon).
    7 Gavin O'Mahony
    8 Paudie, O'Grady
    9 Hickey, Browne, Ryan, Allis
    10 Breen, Downes, Allis
    11 Ryan, Downes, Hannon, Breen, Allis
    12 Hannon, Dowling
    13 Mulcahy, Tobin, Dowling
    14 Dowling, Downes, Moran
    15 Downes, Tobin, Cian Lynch

Players to be brought onto the panel: Cathal McNamara, Dean Coleman, David Dempsey, John Fitzgibbon, James O'Brien, Cian Lynch. I'm sure I'm missing a few but that'll do for a start.

• Advertisement

FAO of the TJ and Donal, since you both have dodgy records on team selections, here are your options for a starting 15.

1 Quaid, Murphy
    3 Richie
    4 Condon, Dempsey
    7 Gavin O'Mahony
    8 Paudie, O'Grady
    10 Breen, Downes, Allis
    12 Hannon, Dowling

Players to be brought onto the panel: Cathal McNamara, Dean Coleman, David Dempsey, John Fitzgibbon, James O'Brien, Cian Lynch. I'm sure I'm missing a few but that'll do for a start.

You're not confident of o grady?

What do you make of last nights appointment?

1 Quaid, Murphy
    3 Richie
    4 Condon, Dempsey
    7 Gavin O'Mahony
    8 Paudie, O'Grady
    10 Breen, Downes, Allis
    12 Hannon, Dowling

Niall moran as a player not up to this level.Never was,hit and miss in the big games.Not a patch on Ollie.Not the same temperament,better skill probably.

Niall moran as a player not up to this level.Never was,hit and miss in the big games.Not a patch on Ollie.Not the same temperament,better skill probably.

I think O Grady is more astute than Allen, but I prefer Allen's style of play. How Allen could leave out the likes of Downes & Dowling is simply beyond me.

N Moran is well past it, but on his day he was a match winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Kevin O'Donnell from Kilmallock, Dan Morrissey of Ahane, Don Hanley from Knockaderry and Barry Lynch from Feohanagh are all worth having a look at.

I think O Grady is more astute than Allen, but I prefer Allen's style of play. How Allen could leave out the likes of Downes & Dowling is simply beyond me.

O gradys style is the only way to beat clare,with a bit of mixing up.

Allens way of hit long ball down on the forward line,with half forwards that had more grunt and power than actually a mix of that and hurling ability was just awful to watch.
    They dominate possesion so teams must keep ball and play to their strengths.
    I saw newtownshandrum last night in a league game,dominate at half back,but hit direct ball after ball down on naughton,jp king,and jamie coughlan.

Complete madness.Three guys that cant win a high ball.There gone from their running game,and it destroying them as they dont have the men win their own ball.

Limerick have ball winners but must not go allroute one.Clare the way they play it suits them,and bulger and donellan are superb.

They need pace also.

O gradys style is the only way to beat clare,with a bit of mixing up.

Allens way of hit long ball down on the forward line,with half forwards that had more grunt and power than actually a mix of that and hurling ability was just awful to watch.
    They dominate possesion so teams must keep ball and play to their strengths.
    I saw newtownshandrum last night in a league game,dominate at half back,but hit direct ball after ball down on naughton,jp king,and jamie coughlan.

Complete madness.Three guys that cant win a high ball.There gone from their running game,and it destroying them as they dont have the men win their own ball.

Limerick have ball winners but must not go allroute one.Clare the way they play it suits them,and bulger and donellan are superb.

They need pace also.
    Good points. Have to vary it a bit I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dowling was not even 75% fit last year and will struggle this year aswell, Allen got the absolute most out of him that he could.

Dowling was not even 75% fit last year and will struggle this year aswell, Allen got the absolute most out of him that he could.

Not doubting you, but what's your basis for saying that?

You're not confident of o grady?

What do you make of last nights appointment?

He reorganised us and had us well prepared and coached the year he had us. However, his selections were poor, failing to sort out full and centre back when better options for those positions should have been obvious. Also, we looked very inhibited and uncomfortable with the style of play under him.

As you can see i have him third choice full forward. He'll probably retire. He was a great servant and cleaned out much lauded defenders on many occasions. If he does retire he should be brought in to underage management as soon as possible, he has done great work with ardscoil.

• Advertisement

As you can see i have him third choice full forward. He'll probably retire. He was a great servant and cleaned out much lauded defenders on many occasions. If he does retire he should be brought in to underage management as soon as possible, he has done great work with ardscoil.
    Id agree with that ,he is a young manager for the future.

Ard scoil in dean ryan cup final tommorrow week with him.Talking about that,i hear jerry mcabe junior from that team and na piarsaigh,a big lad is meant to have real potential.

I hope ye dont loose him to rubgy though.

Who is yere u21 manager next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

Good questions, would Cregan get it again, Limerick did well in the minor last year, beat the eventual all ireland champs in the munster final... would it be the natural progression to bring him onto the under21 this year or next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

He won't retire, turns 31 next year, has another few seasons in him if he wants it. Though usually woefully inconsistent, he did make a positive contribution in the Tipp and Cork games when introduced this year. Worth giving him another season as an impact sub. Not one of our best 6 forwards for sure, but worthy of inclusion on a panel of 30.

He won't retire, turns 31 next year, has another few seasons in him if he wants it. Though usually woefully inconsistent, he did make a positive contribution in the Tipp and Cork games when introduced this year. Worth giving him another season as an impact sub. Not one of our best 6 forwards for sure, but worthy of inclusion on a panel of 30.

Niall Moran will turn 32 next year

Pandiani wrote: »
    Niall Moran will turn 32 next year
    You sure? Only basing my estimate on that I could have sworn I remember watching him play for the under 21 team in 2004.

You sure? Only basing my estimate on that I could have sworn I remember watching him play for the under 21 team in 2004.

100% certain

He reorganised us and had us well prepared and coached the year he had us. However, his selections were poor, failing to sort out full and centre back when better options for those positions should have been obvious. Also, we looked very inhibited and uncomfortable with the style of play under him.

The problem their was he knew he was their for the year,and had so many fires to put out elsewhere and get ye competive in a short time,he done a lot of patch up work.

I have no doubt he would have sorted full and centre back.

I still cant fathom how last year was great.Bar tippeary it was a shambles of a season for ye,it could have been so much more.

The cracks were their,but allen thought do not fix whats not broken.But hanging on by a thread surely was a sign, he should change the dynamic of the half forward line in particular.

Struggled,i mean struggled to beat a depleted cork side,with 14 men,and never in an asses roar of clare,and beaten by dublin in a league final,i wouldnt say last years style was much better.

Ye were lucky .

Ye had a better team ,panel anyway ,and had a better and more expierenced spine at 3,,6,11,(as good as)14 to Cork ,if he played the best team ,no injuries like we had,yet we won 3 games in comparison to ye with games against kk,clare and dublin and were comepetitve with clare in 140 minutes of hurling,where in truth Limerick should with the right management been much better than us.

The difference,was cork improved as a whole under jbm in two years,from where we came from,limerick went backwards ,and players like mulchay prove that,under in allens two years.

I thought this year ye looked inhibihted and uncomforable as allen basically with the team he picked,and players he did not pick,to me said limerick can only win by grunt,bruce force,and grinding teams down with a bench rather than do what clare and cork had the balls and bravery to do, let your team win with the hurl .Downes if even brought on at half time,would have buried cork .

Allen never put that belief in the limerick team,and the way he set up to play showed that.When limerick had just as much talent as cork and clare ,more in corks case last year.

The problem with limerick is we have developed rapidly now to catch up,however cunnighams loss could be huge.

Ye have O grady.Much better than last year but as i said,the joint manager i am a bit unsure off.

I still cant fathom how last year was great.Bar tippeary it was a shambles of a season for ye,it could have been so much more.

The cracks were their,but allen thought do not fix whats not broken.But hanging on by a thread surely was a sign, he should change the dynamic of the half forward line in particular.

Struggled,i mean struggled to beat a depleted cork side,with 14 men,and never in an asses roar of clare,and beaten by dublin in a league final,i wouldnt say last years style was much better.

Ye were lucky .

Can't really disagree with much here, they were deserving winners of the two games they won, but the fact that the games were at the Gaelic Grounds certainly helped.

Clare game was psychological battle emphatically won by Clare, Limerick ran out onto the pitch that day, it was plain to see that the body language was all wrong before the game, passes went astray in the warm up, simple catches missed, tackle bag drill contained a lot of half hearted tackles, and you could see that they were trying very hard to block out the crowd. A very nervous team, none more so than Declan Hannon who missed 5 or 6 frees in the first half that you'd normally put your house on him to score. The fans and local media hyped it up way too much, and I don't think Allen managed that side of things well.

Next thing a furious Clare team explode out of the tunnel like a bat out of hell. They were properly wired up for the game. They got the early goal, tacked on a few points and spent the rest of the game managing the lead. It was similar to the 2007 final in a few ways, not mentally right at the start of the game, and by the time they get into the game they are 6 or 7 points down, and in both cases the opposition were just too good on the day to let the lead slip.

A radio station wanted to do a special in the run up to the Limerick Clare game by running a program on the the players from both teams who had played for Ard Scoil Ris, they contacted a few of the Clare lads, all refused, as Davy instructed them not to do any media before the game. Little things like that make a difference, a Limerick player was asked and he contributed to the program. John Allen was a good man manager, the players were very fond of him, but Davy is a smarter man manager. The general body language and attitude of Clare that day was outstanding, that day was the beginning of something, it's a matter of how many they win now in my opinion.

Limerick have the potential to win an All-Ireland, problem is, that can be said for 5 or 6 other teams as well.

• Advertisement

The problem their was he knew he was their for the year,and had so many fires to put out elsewhere and get ye competive in a short time,he done a lot of patch up work.

I have no doubt he would have sorted full and centre back.

Ye were lucky .

Ye had a better team ,panel anyway ,and had a better and more expierenced spine at 3,,6,11,(as good as)14 to Cork ,if he played the best team ,no injuries like we had,yet we won 3 games in comparison to ye with games against kk,clare and dublin and were comepetitve with clare in 140 minutes of hurling,where in truth Limerick should with the right management been much better than us.

The difference,was cork improved as a whole under jbm in two years,from where we came from,limerick went backwards ,and players like mulchay prove that,under in allens two years.

I thought this year ye looked inhibihted and uncomforable as allen basically with the team he picked,and players he did not pick,to me said limerick can only win by grunt,bruce force,and grinding teams down with a bench rather than do what clare and cork had the balls and bravery to do, let your team win with the hurl .Downes if even brought on at half time,would have buried cork .

Allen never put that belief in the limerick team,and the way he set up to play showed that.When limerick had just as much talent as cork and clare ,more in corks case last year.

The problem with limerick is we have developed rapidly now to catch up,however cunnighams loss could be huge.

Ye have O grady.Much better than last year but as i said,the joint manager i am a bit unsure off.

I don't see anything with Limerick to suggest O'Grady is better than Allen.

O'Grady persisted all year with O'Mahony and then Hickey at full back, and Geary at 6. There were obvious switches to sort those positions that he didn't make. Allen identified and sorted those positions immediately.

We very comfortably beat cork. At the match itself I was disappointed with the sending off as I knew there was no challenge left in the game. We would have won v 15 in my opinion but that was all on the day.

There were signs Allen should have made changes for Clare but to be fair why change a winning team? Lack of matches was a hindrance, as was the 5 week break. Missed frees and injuries on the day couldn't have been predicted. Also, preparations were hampered with injuries in the run up to the Clare game.

In hindsight, Allen clearly made mistakes. But I think he did a sight better than O'Grady, who will probably persist with Wayne Mc at 6 next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement