Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

As you say the CB have messed up again.

Of course im behind them im just not sure their behind each other. Anyway will be the spring before we see how things work out.
    Very similar to the cork football set up,were at a crucial stage in our development ,and a management selection that had promised so much,tended to be a one with now more questions than answers and we have tnd wait til march also.

Limericks case has the advantage of expierence though.

What you said about cunnigham having the job,but falling down due to limerick wanting them nominate their own limerick selectors,instead of Ger briniging hes own,and only agreeing that their would be one limerick selector their and he would choose that himself ,seemed to be the reason Ger didnt get it.

Something similar was said in the Times by Denis walsh also today,he is a Cork man,from carrigtwohill ,would be well informed from the Cork side.

O grady they went for again.
    Ger was right,if your taking a job,you go in youi terms,as if he isn't allowed hes own men,he already starting in a weak position.

He would have been a better option.

O grady is a top man but the joint manager and the set up that tj was facilated for the set up,be interesting to see how it works out.

Sorry if that came off as me suggesting you weren't, not what I was doing! But I have heard some odd comments in the last few days from talking to people, it's as though some people actually want them to fail!

They must have a good working relationship from 2011 otherwise this wouldn't be happening, and even if they do get on well and agree on everything, there's then the issue of how will the players take to the set up. There's a lot that could go wrong with an experimental set up like this.

Has any other county ever done this (joint managers) in the GAA? I can't recall it happening in hurling for the last 20-25 years anyway.

Clare minors in 2010 and at u21 level,Gerry o connor and Donal maloney were joint managers and it worked splendity.

A lot depends on the two involved ,and the dynamic between them.Time will tell with limerick.I wish ye the best .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

TJ still analysing the match for 95fm today also, don't know about that...then again he's incisive and calls it as it is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clare minors in 2010 and at u21 level,Gerry o connor and Donal maloney were joint managers and it worked splendity.

A lot depends on the two involved ,and the dynamic between them.Time will tell with limerick.I wish ye the best .

not the same thing, there was never any pressure on them win anything, underage is nice to win but its main purpose is player development, and infairness the team we put out this year were so far ahead of the pack anyone could have managed them

the spotlight will be shining alot brighter on limerick after this year and the pressure of loseing will be huge evnen a bad run of results could open a can of worms on the whole thing,

IMO it should have been o grady as no.1 and then tj or whoever 2nd in commanded!!! these set-ups have been tried in football and failed every time

not the same thing, there was never any pressure on them win anything, underage is nice to win but its main purpose is player development, and infairness the team we put out this year were so far ahead of the pack anyone could have managed them

the spotlight will be shining alot brighter on limerick after this year and the pressure of loseing will be huge evnen a bad run of results could open a can of worms on the whole thing,

IMO it should have been o grady as no.1 and then tj or whoever 2nd in commanded!!! these set-ups have been tried in football and failed every time

Fair enough i woudn't know the dynamic of that clare set up,but that they were in the papers listed as joint managers and their the only joint set up i can think of ,i can't think of a senior set up.

I agree in football joint managers have failed.
    Agree o grady should have been manager,tj as coach.

Like o neill manager,roy keane assistant manager.Everbody has a set role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Is the current Galway set-up not a joint manager setup technically?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well done NaP, Munster senior, minor and club champions wouldn't be a bad return at all :)

Doon won the inaugral Munster Minor Club championship aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Was that DOG on tg4 yesterday?if so should his pundit work stop for now

sasta le wrote: »

i think too much is looked into it especially when they can watch it back afterwards,

davey fitz commentated for clare fm for most of the clare u21 games this year,and often gave personal opinions on players on the fringe's of the panel which i taught might work against him

i know where your coming from it dose'nt look good when tj and donal are in the comentary box and not in the stand taking notes but infairness there is'nt a whole lot they can do at this stage of the year

Dean ryan cup final 1.30 Cashel Saturday
    Midelton v Ard scoil ris

Should be a cracker

Cashel seems to be a strange choice.Fermoy or mallow i thought.

Any news from ard scoil side?

• Advertisement

Cunningham was in provided he could pick his own backroom team, but a strong element in the board were adamant that the back room team be composed of Limerick men. Cunningham wanted to bring one or two of his own fellow Cork men on board and gave assurances that he would involve one or two Limerick men, this wasn't enough for the board; they wanted complete control over back room appointments, and things broke down with Cunningham.

A manager should always select his own selectors/coaches/back room team.

If what thinkstoomuch1 has been saying about Cunningham all along is accurate (I don't see why not, he doesn't strike me as a bluffer), then our county board are after ruining an excellent opportunity.

One last thing, our board are idiots, this selection committee/panel is nonsense, together they made a total balls of it so by all means vent our frustration at them! But I hope people will get behind TJ Ryan and Donal O'Grady now, none of that nonsense was their fault and they should get our support.

Was the breakdown with the actual county board or with the selection committee?

Either way, a bit of a shambles but we've got to get behind who's there now. Hopefully O'Grady and TJ give it everything they've got, and work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

sasta le wrote: »

I'm sure he has a contract of some sort with TG4 and don't really see the issue tbh, he's clever enough not to be drawn into anything that he shouldn't be and he can use it to his advantage - an inside track if you will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

he can use it to his advantage - an inside track if you will!

Dead Right! Easy access to match footage from the recent past is worth it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

I need clarification here please. Is TJ manager and D O'G coach? As in T J No.1 and O'Grady No.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

piplin wrote: »
    I need clarification here please. Is TJ manager and D O'G coach? As in T J No.1 and O'Grady No.2

Joint managers i believe as far as the irish independant said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

dzilla wrote: »
    Joint managers i believe as far as the irish independant said

Thanks for the reply. Still not any the wiser though.

Apparently they are equal in power... who knows what will happen in reality?

Some are saying that TJ is the manager, O'Grady is there to coach, while others are saying that TJ will learn from the senior man for 2 years and step into the role then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was the breakdown with the actual county board or with the selection committee?

Either way, a bit of a shambles but we've got to get behind who's there now. Hopefully O'Grady and TJ give it everything they've got, and work well together.
    Can't give a definite answer there, but I believe the board to be the primary culprits, the committee's job was never to appoint in the last four years; the board just used them to identify the best manager, and the board acted on their recommendation. I may have been a bit harsh on the committee, I'm 90% sure they first recommended Sheedy (didn't get very far, only wants to manage Tipp), then O'Grady and then Cunningham, and the board went and approached all three and wanted control over picking the selectors as there was an element of the board who were desperate for a backroom team composed largely (or entirely) of Limerick men.

There was a desire by some from within the board for a Limerick man to be in sole charge, hence why the TJ rumours were so persistent. There was basically a divide within the board, one side that wanted a Limerick man, one side who wanted the best available and was happy to go with the recommendation of the selection committee. What we ended up with was essentially a compromise between both sides.

This article was in the Times

Purists kept happy as Limerick get their Corkman back

IN THE end Limerick came up with a soloution they could sell.The disgruntled constituency who wanted a local manager for the senior hurling team were presented with TJ Ryan in that role.Strictly speaking their demands were met.He will wear the bannisteoir's bib and he will be a plausible public face for the management team :former player,former team captain,former senior selector ,former under -21 manager.Interested ,available.He ticked every box.

Donal O' Grady ,though has been named as the coach and his appointment was the statement they wished to make.The GAA has never adopted the rubgy model where the manager is a facilitator ,an organiser and a buffer ,while the coach runs the team but this arrangement will surely have elements of that dynamic.

Given his status in the game,his track record and the strength of his personality it is impossible to imagine O'Grady in a subordinate role.This will be a power-sharing arrangement.

The twists and turns in the appointment process were fascinating too.A fortnight ago it seemed that O'Grady was out of the race.His engagement with the subcommittee tasked with finding a new manager had reached an impasse and it was thought that there would be no further contact.

Ger Cunningham emerged as the new favourite .Ten days ago his name appeared on the Cork GAA website as part of Jimmy Barry-Murphy's unchanged management team for the coming season but that story never went further .
    There was no formal confirmation or statement from Barry-Murphy.When Cunningham stood down as Cork coach and selector on Tuesday his status as favourite for the Limerick job hardened.

The breakdown ,it seems, concerned how his management team would be picked.It is understood that Cunningham wanted the autonomy to choose his own selectors ,like more or less ever other inter-county manager in the country.He gave an assurance that there would be a limerick presence on his management team but this didn't seem to satisfy the subcommittee.For political reasons they needed the management team as home-grown as possible.

There were elements within the county board executive ,however,who still wanted a management team composed entirely of Limerick men.They made their case at a management committee meeting early on Thursday evening ,before the full county board meeting.The numbers,though,were against them.

Resistance from the floor of the county board meeting didn't materialise .The appointment of the new senior hurling management team was the first item on the agenda and it was wrapped up in about six minutes.Mike O'Riordan,the county board secretary,read a prepared statement from the subcommittee of headhunters;the chairman ,Oliver Mann,asked the meeting if their were any counter-proposals and he was met with silence.
    When he asked if there were any other comments nothing was said either.

At the Limerick convention last year a motion was passed compelling the county board to release the name of any proposed limerick manager 48 hours before a county board meeting to give the clubs time to consider his candidacy.At a recent county board meeting,however ,that motion was rescinded.Suggestions that the clubs would ask for a week to consider the Ryan/O'Grady appointment came to nothing.

Those who wanted a locally sourced management team simply didn't have an outstanding candidate on which to focus their support.Eight of the past nine senior championships in Limerick have been won by a club with a coach from outside the county (Tony Considine ,three,Ger O'Loughlin ,three,Sean Stack ,two).In any given year at least half and sometimes a dozen of the 16 senior clubs will have a coach from outside Limerick.

On the flip side,very few Limerick coaches have built reputations on the broader club scene around Munster:John Fitzgerald brought Nenagh to the Tipperary county final this year,having managed the under 21s in 2012;TJ Ryan won a lower grade intermediate title with Kilworth in Cork.Ciaran Carey's name occasionally pops up in despatches but he was damaged by his clumsy departure from John Allen's management team early in 2012 and he didn't achieve anything of note with the Limerick under -21s.

In Cork ,Cunningham's departure leaves a hole to fill.Regardless of his flirtation with Limerick ,it wasn't certain that Cunningham would stay another year with Cork.Their is no obvious replacement .Unlike Limerick,looking beyond the county is simply not an option.

Jesus this thread is very quiet since O grady ,tj were ratified.

I see a five man commitee has been set up to find the u21 hurling manager.Pat heffaranen is on it.

He is actually teaching in Cork,Patrician academy mallow,doing good work with the hurling in their.A lot of good work going on and hes at the heart of it.Probably won't qualify out of their group in the B hurling,but had a great win against Rice college last week.
    And last year got to a cork schools final,to loose to a top midelton team.

• Advertisement

Jerome O'Connell @JeromeSport Follow Oh no... Word coming from Croke Park is that hurling league unchanged. Limerick in Div 1B in 2014 with Cork, Offaly, Wexford, Antrim, Laois
    1:11 PM - 16 Nov 2013

Well that sucks but it's the right decision if true. If the format will be changed, change it for 2015, changing it for 2014 would just render this years league a pointless farce like they did in 2011.

Jerome O'Connell @JeromeSport Follow Oh no... Word coming from Croke Park is that hurling league unchanged. Limerick in Div 1B in 2014 with Cork, Offaly, Wexford, Antrim, Laois

Well that sucks but it's the right decision if true. If the format will be changed, change it for 2015, changing it for 2014 would just render this years league a pointless farce like they did in 2011.

Both Dublin and Limerick won provincial titles this year having played in 1B, and it's our own fault we weren't promoted this team, it wouldn't have been right to change format.

Cork will challenge us, and Wexford are an improving side.

In fact, the side that came closest to beating us, bar Wexford, got relegated last year...

Delighted it aint changed,it would of been a dark day if it was changed to suit cork.

Like ye,we didnt deserve to be in the top 6.
    It should never of been up for debate.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Both Dublin and Limerick won provincial titles this year having played in 1B, and it's our own fault we weren't promoted this team, it wouldn't have been right to change format.

Cork will challenge us, and Wexford are an improving side.

In fact, the side that came closest to beating us, bar Wexford, got relegated last year...
    Wexford will be a good test but apart from ye and us,thats it.
    It wont do both of us much good in terms of the league as a whole,a few matches we wont learn a great deal.

Wexford are training already and are playing kk and tipp in december in challenge matchs so they are taking it seriously.

Actually next years format is different anyway, no 1B final (I think), four quarter finals between top 4 in 1A and 1B, it's a stupid system.

I'm not fully certain on the promotion but I think it was 1st place in 1B gains automatic promotion.

Quarter finals on this years final positions would throw up the following 4 ties;

Tipperary -v- Wexford
    Kilkenny -v- Offaly
    Galway -v- Dublin
    Waterford -v- Limerick

i dont think it hampers any team in div 1b this year both provincal winners came from that division, but i think it would have been very foolish of the gaa to change it after this years league been one of the closest in years

i dont think it hampers any team in div 1b this year both provincal winners came from that division, but i think it would have been very foolish of the gaa to change it after this years league been one of the closest in years

It was very close in 1A, 1B was pretty predictable, barring an upset it was always going to be a Limerick v Dublin final. Both provincial winners did come from 1B, but provincial championships have the backdoor safety net.

When it came to knockout championship games Dublin and Limerick's records read- Played 1, Lost 1.

It would have absolutely been 100% wrong to change next years format. But the present format is wrong in my opinion. The 2x6 worked fine from 1997-2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I thought 1B was perfect for Limerick under Allen in that he was able to build a steady unit and let the players gain confidence playing together.
    Obviously the Clare result could be put down as a freak result.
    IF you asked me would Limerick win a championship match with Stephen Walsh, Tom Condon, Wayne Mac at centre back, Hickey at half forward all starting and then having subs like Dowling and Downes on the bench I would have said no. 1B was good for progression of a young team the next step must be made now.

I find it ironic however, that Wexford voted for the Super 12's format & against the Super 14's format, when they started this hullabaloo over the first proposed changes.

Offaly and Cork away next year, with Antrim, Wexford & Laois at home. Glamour fixtures for the GG again :-D

francozola wrote: »
    I thought 1B was perfect for Limerick under Allen in that he was able to build a steady unit and let the players gain confidence playing together.
    Obviously the Clare result could be put down as a freak result.
    IF you asked me would Limerick win a championship match with Stephen Walsh, Tom Condon, Wayne Mac at centre back, Hickey at half forward all starting and then having subs like Dowling and Downes on the bench I would have said no. 1B was good for progression of a young team the next step must be made now.

I find it ironic however, that Wexford voted for the Super 12's format & against the Super 14's format, when they started this hullabaloo over the first proposed changes.

Offaly and Cork away next year, with Antrim, Wexford & Laois at home. Glamour fixtures for the GG again :-D

Condon? He's looked quality for years?

And is that not almost the exact same fixtures at home as last year? Bloody hell :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

francozola wrote: »

We're playing Laois away according to reports.

Feb 15: Cork v Limerick
    Feb 23: Limerick v Antrim.
    Mar 9: Limerick v Wexford.
    Mar 16: Offaly v Limerick.
    Mar 23: Laois v Limerick

On the plus side, Cork, Tullamore and Portlaoise are all handy enough drives if you have a season ticket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement