Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Actually next years format is different anyway, no 1B final (I think), four quarter finals between top 4 in 1A and 1B, it's a stupid system.

I'm not fully certain on the promotion but I think it was 1st place in 1B gains automatic promotion.

Quarter finals on this years final positions would throw up the following 4 ties;

Tipperary -v- Wexford
    Kilkenny -v- Offaly
    Galway -v- Dublin
    Waterford -v- Limerick

So we'd have been promoted this year if we had this system last year. Isn't that great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

Lets not dwell on the ifs. If Limerick are any good they'll come out of that division

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Condon? He's looked quality for years?

And is that not almost the exact same fixtures at home as last year? Bloody hell :mad:

In Championship 2009 against Laois he got a right roasting and was subbed after 20 minutes.
    Has markedly improved thanks to continued games in 1B. Like I said 1B gave a platform to build a team, the next step is to improve everything in the set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

francozola wrote: »
    I thought 1B was perfect for Limerick under Allen in that he was able to build a steady unit and let the players gain confidence playing together.
    Obviously the Clare result could be put down as a freak result.
    IF you asked me would Limerick win a championship match with Stephen Walsh, Tom Condon, Wayne Mac at centre back, Hickey at half forward all starting and then having subs like Dowling and Downes on the bench I would have said no. 1B was good for progression of a young team the next step must be made now.
    In the league game(s) in 2012? Absolutely not, they were deserved winners of both games. They won their way into 1A, and I believe that was critical in helping them push on this year. I don;t believe Clare would have won the title had they been in 1B.
    I find it ironic however, that Wexford voted for the Super 12's format & against the Super 14's format, when they started this hullabaloo over the first proposed changes.
    Not ironic. There was never anything noble about Wexford's stance at any stage, they just wanted a system that suited themselves. I don't blame them, but people mistakenly think Wexford were standing up for what was right when all along they were only looking out for themselves. (Again, I don't blame them). Their preference was Super 12, not status quo, as super 12 ensured their promotion.

In Championship 2009 against Laois he got a right roasting and was subbed after 20 minutes.
    Has markedly improved thanks to continued games in 1B. Like I said 1B gave a platform to build a team, the next step is to improve everything in the set up.
    He played games of a higher standard in division 1 that year and did fine most of the time, the team as a whole wasn't great against Laois and got out of that game by the skin of their teeth. Let's not forget, it was Condon's first year on the senior panel, the previous year he was a member of the Intermediate team that reached the AI final.

1B does not give a better platform to build the team, I'm not sure how much better off we'd be now had promotion not been disgracefully taken away from us after 2011 but we certainly wouldn't be any worse off.

Tom Condon's improvements have nothing to do with playing 1B hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

That's just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Totally agree , with you Glausbaun,a stupid thing to say.We have the same on the cork thread,its like the draw we got as well is great,lets have a sing song and party,kind of attuitde.

The day anyone with the greatest respect to all in that div,start glorfying div 2 as a great building ground for teams limerick and cork with aspirations to win all irelands ,is the day that your standards slip and your accepting yourself to be worse than kilkenny ,clare,tipp etc and your beaten before a ball is thrown in .

Cork and limerick are where we are ,but must be seen as a hindrance to development,you dont,you will be their again in the future.Kilkenny would never settle for div 2,the players or fans or management.

Cork are worse of ,as we got three home games.At least yere away games ye will get a test.

A cork poster thinks wexford and offaly at home is great for us.Yeah travel wise,but the rest is utter nonenese.Offaly and wexford wont have the same intensity in cork as they would with big home crowd in wexford park or tullamore,and it be a free flowing,no real intensity ,and cork will learn f**k all about players,as the pairc will do well get any decent crowd ,and their will be m atmsphore to test players.

Our main test is yerselves but cork wont learn anything til the q final,thats hoping we get a real game.

In the interfeirm county final tonight the prison guards limesick beat stryker /analog 1-16 to 1-8.james ryan the hurler was centre back for the guards,and was outstanding and was marking ciaran doherty u21 clare winning captain ,with former minor eoin ryan very good.

Kieran lane played with styker and was good.

Ye got tipp ist round munster minor hurling at galiec grounds,loose and in a round robin,win and play us in the semi in limerick.

Ye got tipp ist round munster minor hurling at galiec grounds,loose and in a round robin,win and play us in the semi in limerick.

So does that mean Cork drew the short straw that means they are the only team that don't get a second chance if they lose their first game? Stupid system! They should just put the 5 teams into a round robin group.

So does that mean Cork drew the short straw that means they are the only team that don't get a second chance if they lose their first game? Stupid system! They should just put the 5 teams into a round robin group.
    Yeah and its same with ye if ye win ,ist round but loose the semi youre out.

Its a joke of a system,it happened us in the football last year at minor.

Still this will be the best prepared minor team in ten years so id respect all bout wouldnt fear anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Some of our other hurling managers announced.

Tom Ryan in charge of the intermediates :pac:

Ciarán Carey in charge of the 21s, with both Tom Ryan and Mark Foley among those involved.

Thoughts?

And apparently a football training panel has been announced, anyone know who's in it?

• Advertisement

Ciarán Carey in charge of the 21s, with both Tom Ryan and Mark Foley among those involved.

Thoughts?

And apparently a football training panel has been announced, anyone know who's in it?

Tom ryan jesus yere getting as bad as us.
    They couldnt wait to get rid him in newtownshandrum.

The same fella said jbm should resign ,and was out of the game too long.A touch of irony.Jbm won an all ireland,ryan lost two.
    And hes barely in the job and he insults the hurling game before the american football in usa a month ago that was done to promote hurling.And O grady was very involved in that and a lot of limerick lads made the team.
    One team is strange but two teams hes with.
    Strange decision.

I had heard shane fitzgibbon was in line and done good work with adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Confirmed last night that Limerick senior footballers championship game home v Tipp is on Sat 31st of June and senior hurlers are away v Tipp the following day 1st of June. Munster Hurling final is on 13th of July. On the one hand its nice to have both games on a bank holiday weekend, on the other hand the winners of the hurling have to wait 6 weeks for Munster final which is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Minor footballers away to Cork April 9.
    Minor hurlers home to Tipp April 16.

Under 21 footballers away to Kerry/Cork March 19.
    Under 21 hurlers home to Clare either 4 or 18 of June in first round, winers to play Tipp at home 16 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Thoughts?

Lot of ego knocking around there, am ok with carey getting another go, hopefully he's learned from the senior mess up. The other two???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

.Jbm won an all ireland,ryan lost two.

While I agree with your sentiment, you are not being fair here, Tom Ryan was in charge of Limerick between 93 and 97 which was their most successfull period in recent memory and did a fine job, was particualrly unlucky against Offaly.

JBM has had 7 years over Cork seniors and barely won a game for the first 4 years, won a great AI in 2000 but has since lost one to Clare in his second stint it's not the trophy laden CV many romantics would have us believe.

Yes he is a far more ariculate man and much more of a gentleman but the disparity between the two's managerial CV's is not as wide as many portray. I also have very little doubt as to who is the better manager but I think simply highlighting the fact that JBM won one AI and Tom Ryan didnt is a little unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

While I agree with your sentiment, you are not being fair here, Tom Ryan was in charge of Limerick between 93 and 97 which was their most successfull period in recent memory and did a fine job, was particualrly unlucky against Offaly.

JBM has had 7 years over Cork seniors and barely won a game for the first 4 years, won a great AI in 2000 but has since lost one to Clare in his second stint it's not the trophy laden CV many romantics would have us believe.

Yes he is a far more ariculate man and much more of a gentleman but the disparity between the two's managerial CV's is not as wide as many portray. I also have very little doubt as to who is the better manager but I think simply highlighting the fact that JBM won one AI and Tom Ryan didnt is a little unjust.

1999 JBM managed Cork to title. I agree with with your comments. And I might add Cork won NOTHING under JBM last year - relegated, lost Munster Final and All Ireland Final Replay. I still have great respect for JBM but he's not the Messiah some make him out to be. A decent hurling man nonetheless.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/cavan-man-included-on-limerick-football-panel-1-5695048

24 players added to the regulars from last year's panel, with Brudair having said that he thinks that all the older players will stay on.

It's encouraging news, and I've been impressed with how Brudair has handled things off-the-field. He's scoured the county for all available talent, he give ab out 60 players a chance, he looks to have kept the older heads on board. Now let's just see what he can do on the pitch.

As for the new players, Killian Phair was a key player for Drom/Broadford this year, might add some attacking threat. Paul White was a big threat for Rathkeale throughout the year, lots of people were calling for him to be included. Danny Neville was on the panel in 2013 and is one of the best young footballers in the county- the likes of McSweeney and Jamie Lee are also a big threat at club level, pacy attackers.

Then you've got John Mullane who was on the panel before, an almost one-man scoring machine for St. Pats. Garrett Noonan of Drom/Broadford, also was on the panel a few years ago, an intelligent footballer. Derry McCarthy as well, is consistently one of the top club players.

Don't know much about most of the others, Peter Nash is a good, lively forward, delighted to see him included, was a threat for the U-21s last year. Maybe a bit small for intercounty football? And Barry O'Connell, class hurler, was a brilliant footballer underage but focused on hurling. Still is a better hurler, and I'd have thought there's a chance he'd be in TJ and O'Grady's squad...but can probably make a more immediate impact with the footballers.

Gearoid Hegarty is worth noting aswell, wouldn't be surprised to see him in and around the starting team, excellent ballwinner.

A recall obviously too late in his career for Brian Geary...pity really, super footballer.

Full list:
    Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks), Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Robbie Burke (Adare), Sean McSweeney (St Kierans), Danny Neville (Ballysteen), Cian Sheehan (Newcastle West), Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins), Paul White (St Marys Sean Finns), Sean Barrett (Bruff), Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Colin Moran (Monaleen), Bill Creamer (Cappamore), Garrett Noonan (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Padraig Quinn (Monaleen), Killian Phair (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Eoin Hanrahan (St Patricks), John Mullane (St Patricks), Patrick O’Donnell (Galbally), Derry McCarthy (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Micheal Brosnan (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Padraig Scanlon (Glin), Keith Hartnett (St Marys Sean Finns), Jamie Lee (Newcastle West), Peter Nash (Kildimo-Pallaskenry)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Grats wrote: »
    1999 JBM managed Cork to title. I agree with with your comments. And I might add Cork won NOTHING under JBM last year - relegated, lost Munster Final and All Ireland Final Replay. I still have great respect for JBM but he's not the Messiah some make him out to be. A decent hurling man nonetheless.

My bad yes it was 1999, in 2000 they were beaten by Offaly, a game I'm sure if Tom Ryan or say John Allen were at the helm for I'm sure there would be blue murder.

Like you say though JBM is a true gael and someone I have an incredible amount of time for, the game could do with a few more of him at all levels tbh.

Its quite clear your anti -cork,all you need to know about Jbm,is he won a minor against kilkenny in 95, beat kilkenny in 99 with a team not given any chance,and beat kilkenny again this year,when with all the injuries,absent players,seven from last year,a lot of the lads were humilated days before in the u21 against tippereary ,beating such a truly great team,the greatest of all,and to beat them with such elgance,grace and free flowing hurling was as good as an all ireland in cork.

Yes when your in the final you want to win.But when you had no chance at the start of the year ,with such a depleted squad to knock out the All ireland champions of their throne and out of the championship ,only the second team in 8 years to do so ,with a teams starved of underage success unlike tippeary ,it really puts jbm up their as one of the greatest managagers and players to grace the game,on either side of the line.

He took cork over from rock bottom ,in 96,tested a magnificent clare team,won the league,and then in 99 won the all ireland.

Then in 2012 he took over a demorilsed set up,got them to a league final,then got to a semifinal in the championship and this year inspired cork to punch well above their weight,as the team had obstacle after obstacle in their way,and as each game went on ,got better and better ,and no shame in loosing to a magnificent clare team,and the way cork played the game ,approached it ,is a true reflection ,of the manager jbm.

Cody ,a man that actually knows what he talks about ,always.always pays jbm total respect and said many times he is a great manager.

I think you dont like anyone that beat kilkenny.Jbm the only manager undefeated by cody ,in Championship,and when he done it twice,twice cork were raging underdog..

I have nothing but respect and admiration and awe for kilkenny,but when I see posts like yours say hes overhyped,it does make beating kilkenny that bit sweeter in june ,as some not all(majority of kk are very gracious)still bitter over it,when they shouldnt be,ye have won every honour in the game,and a credit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

Fancy Na Piarsaigh to do the biz. What a lift it would give to Limerick hurling. Not that I would begrudge Sixmilebrridge a win. Should be a cracker.

He took cork over from rock bottom ,in 96,tested a magnificent clare team,won the league,and then in 99 won the all ireland.

Then in 2012 he took over a demorilsed set up,got them to a league final,then got to a semifinal in the championship and this year inspired cork to punch well above their weight,as the team had obstacle after obstacle in their way,and as each game went on ,got better and better ,and no shame in loosing to a magnificent clare team,and the way cork played the game ,approached it ,is a true reflection ,of the manager jbm.

Bizzarre that some see fit to question JBM's credentials, Cork have been making steady progress since he returned, worth noting that Clare were very lucky to have been given the time to get the equaliser in the drawn final.

He took a relatively average Cork team within seconds of a sensational All-Ireland final comeback. I mean no disrespect to Cork by calling them average, I mean average by Cork's standards which are higher than most. And Cork had key players missing throughout the year.

A bit of luck on the injury front next year combined with the addition of the likes of Aidan Walsh and Cork will definitely be a strong contender next year under JBM. Nobody is saying the guy is a "Messiah", but he does tend to get the best out of his players.

• Advertisement

Big appointment for Ciaran Carey, he didn't do himself any favours by stepping down from the senior backroom team 18 months ago so this will be a chance to get some of his cynics on the board back on his side. I wish him well, I'd love to think he could be manager of the seniors some day.

Mark Foley and Tom Ryan involved too! A lot of big names involved in the various county panels. Good to see so many former players involved for 2014. I never thought I'd see the day the board sanctioned the involvement of Tom Ryan with one, never mind two Limerick teams :pac:pacman.gif

Big appointment for Ciaran Carey, he didn't do himself any favours by stepping down from the senior backroom team 18 months ago so this will be a chance to get some of his cynics on the board back on his side. I wish him well, I'd love to think he could be manager of the seniors some day.

Mark Foley and Tom Ryan involved too! A lot of big names involved in the various county panels. Good to see so many former players involved for 2014. I never thought I'd see the day the board sanctioned the involvement of Tom Ryan with one, never mind two Limerick teams :pac:pacman.gif

Tom ryan is baffling,he must have serious clout with the county board.
    He won't bring anything to the table,he will make more noise off the field than on it.And he will want to control both teams.
    He dosent understand subley at all,he will have a direct involvment with the seniors with o grady and tj,as hes producing players for them,yet hes barely in the job,and he insults the hurling game played in america,along with cusack,o grady was the mastermind behind it.

Interesting to see how relations will be.

Any of ye going to dean ryan cup final in cashel at 1.30 tommorrow.?
    id love carey to do well,im a fan of him.He didnt have a great run in 2008.
    I see joe quaid resigned from the county board .A big loss.

Tom Ryan- clout with the board? I dunno tbh.....

It is a bit of a strange one.

I like Ryan myself, was probably unlucky to get the sack in 97 and we might have won an All-Ireland with that team. 94 was freak circumstances, 96 we really should have won, made some bad mistakes + Kirby's injury was a killer. I do have time for him, but I think the game has passed him by now.... unlike someone like Cregan, I'm not sure he is the right person to manage underage teams.

Still, at least he's entertaining.

As for Carey, I'd love him to be a great manager, I mean he is a legend, a top class hurler... but I'm not convinced tbh.

Tom ryan is baffling,he must have serious clout with the county board.
    He won't bring anything to the table,he will make more noise off the field than on it.And he will want to control both teams.
    He dosent understand subley at all,he will have a direct involvment with the seniors with o grady and tj,as hes producing players for them,yet hes barely in the job,and he insults the hurling game played in america,along with cusack,o grady was the mastermind behind it.

Interesting to see how relations will be.

Any of ye going to dean ryan cup final in cashel at 1.30 tommorrow.?
    id love carey to do well,im a fan of him.He didnt have a great run in 2008.
    I see joe quaid resigned from the county board .A big loss.

Quaid resigned from what, the camogie job? I think Carey will do well. He has been highly spoken of by every team he was involved with before.

Quaid resigned from what, the camogie job? I think Carey will do well. He has been highly spoken of by every team he was involved with before.
    He hasnt decided yet about the caomige,he will decide at their agm.

No its the board he resigned from.
    Quaid ,i heard always great things about him.

He hasnt decided yet about the caomige,he will decide at their agm.

No its the board he resigned from.
    Quaid ,i heard always great things about him.
    Not so sure he did a great job of the camogie tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Fancy Na Piarsaigh to do the biz. What a lift it would give to Limerick hurling. Not that I would begrudge Sixmilebrridge a win. Should be a cracker.

Think they are really up against it and Ennis is a very difficult away venue for any team. A home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

shawnee wrote: »
    Think they are really up against it and Ennis is a very difficult away venue for any team. A home win.

I hope the bridge get beat, they are as cocky as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done to na Piarsaigh's today by far the better still unbeaten in munster , are we looking at the new nemo rangers of the munster club hurling world!!! although some of the sixmilebridge performance's from certain players could only be described as laughable at times but that aside na Piarsaigh are worthey all ireland contenders and hopefuly they will go on and win it now

• Advertisement

So Portumna, Loughgiel, Oulart-the-Ballagh and Mount Leinster Rangers stand in the way of Na Piarsaigh's bid to become Limerick's first All-Ireland club champion. Certainly a strong contender but Portumna would have to be favourites followed by Loughgiel who won the title in 2012.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement